Can't Copy and Paste or Paste Special between Excel Workbooks

We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste 
between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When 
you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the 
paste 
and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the 
mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data 
type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but 
none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and 
renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open the clipboard and the 
paste will work, but there is no paste special option. Any help would be 
greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0
wllee (11)
4/5/2005 3:37:02 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

4 Replies
646 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 23

Do you have the same problem when you open excel in Safe modus

Try opening Excel without any Add-ins or hidden workbooks:
Start>Run
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe
Or       Excel.exe /Safe


-- 
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl



"wllee" <wllee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:215BD98C-7475-45EF-A474-6926A14CA30D@microsoft.com...
> We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste
> between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When
> you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the
> paste
> and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the
> mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data
> type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but
> none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and
> renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open the clipboard and the
> paste will work, but there is no paste special option. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> 


0
rondebruin (3789)
4/5/2005 4:27:10 PM
I just tried what you suggested and I do not have the same problems. What 
should I check next. I really appreciate your time.

Bill

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

> Do you have the same problem when you open excel in Safe modus
> 
> Try opening Excel without any Add-ins or hidden workbooks:
> Start>Run
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe
> Or       Excel.exe /Safe
> 
> 
> -- 
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
> 
> 
> 
> "wllee" <wllee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:215BD98C-7475-45EF-A474-6926A14CA30D@microsoft.com...
> > We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste
> > between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When
> > you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the
> > paste
> > and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the
> > mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data
> > type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but
> > none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and
> > renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open the clipboard and the
> > paste will work, but there is no paste special option. Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
wllee (11)
4/5/2005 5:37:07 PM
Hi Bill

It is either an add-in or a (hidden) workbook that is
Loaded upon XL's start, which is causing problems.
Tools-Addins and uncheck all Addins.
Write down which ones were selected.
Now close Excel and then reopen.

If it is working then one of the Addins was causing the problem.
Add them back one at a time, closing and opening Excel each time until you find it.

If this didn't stop the problem, then the problem is a file in your xlStart directory.
Any file in there Is loaded when you start Excel.
Remove the files out of that folder and open Excel to see if the problem is gone.
If it is then add them back one at a time, closing and opening Excel each time until you find it


-- 
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl



"wllee" <wllee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9048F1C0-7214-41C1-A851-0350590D0AF5@microsoft.com...
>I just tried what you suggested and I do not have the same problems. What
> should I check next. I really appreciate your time.
>
> Bill
>
> "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
>
>> Do you have the same problem when you open excel in Safe modus
>>
>> Try opening Excel without any Add-ins or hidden workbooks:
>> Start>Run
>> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe
>> Or       Excel.exe /Safe
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Regards Ron de Bruin
>> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>>
>>
>>
>> "wllee" <wllee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:215BD98C-7475-45EF-A474-6926A14CA30D@microsoft.com...
>> > We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste
>> > between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When
>> > you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the
>> > paste
>> > and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the
>> > mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data
>> > type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but
>> > none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and
>> > renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open the clipboard and the
>> > paste will work, but there is no paste special option. Any help would be
>> > greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>> >
>>
>>
>> 


0
rondebruin (3789)
4/5/2005 5:48:32 PM
Thanks very much for your time, I have figured it out. It was an 
obetexcelvbacommon addin that was causing the problem or actually the lack of 
it.

Thanks again,

Bill

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

> Hi Bill
> 
> It is either an add-in or a (hidden) workbook that is
> Loaded upon XL's start, which is causing problems.
> Tools-Addins and uncheck all Addins.
> Write down which ones were selected.
> Now close Excel and then reopen.
> 
> If it is working then one of the Addins was causing the problem.
> Add them back one at a time, closing and opening Excel each time until you find it.
> 
> If this didn't stop the problem, then the problem is a file in your xlStart directory.
> Any file in there Is loaded when you start Excel.
> Remove the files out of that folder and open Excel to see if the problem is gone.
> If it is then add them back one at a time, closing and opening Excel each time until you find it
> 
> 
> -- 
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
> 
> 
> 
> "wllee" <wllee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9048F1C0-7214-41C1-A851-0350590D0AF5@microsoft.com...
> >I just tried what you suggested and I do not have the same problems. What
> > should I check next. I really appreciate your time.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have the same problem when you open excel in Safe modus
> >>
> >> Try opening Excel without any Add-ins or hidden workbooks:
> >> Start>Run
> >> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe
> >> Or       Excel.exe /Safe
> >>
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Regards Ron de Bruin
> >> http://www.rondebruin.nl
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> "wllee" <wllee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:215BD98C-7475-45EF-A474-6926A14CA30D@microsoft.com...
> >> > We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste
> >> > between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When
> >> > you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the
> >> > paste
> >> > and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the
> >> > mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data
> >> > type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but
> >> > none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and
> >> > renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open the clipboard and the
> >> > paste will work, but there is no paste special option. Any help would be
> >> > greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
wllee (11)
4/5/2005 6:51:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

DVD Copy Pro for Mac
[b]DVD Copy Pro for Mac[/b] is a DVD copy software that can support D9 to D5 compression. With simple operation, it can save DVD in four different ways including directly burning to DVD disc, saving as DVD folder, copying into DVD media format that can be played by DVD Player directly, and converting as ISO file for easy movie management. Now this cool Mac DVD Copy also supports the latest released Snow Leopard. You can download [b][url=http://www.dvd-copy-mac.net/download/dvd-copy-pro-mac.zip]DVD Copy Pro for Mac[/url][/b] freely right now. [b]More information:[/b][quote]http://www.dvd-...

Any Generous Excel Gurus our there??
I am trying to complete a project involving horseracing handicapping (using data files that are comma delimited). I am so close, but need just a few more things to tie up. Anyone interested in helping?? If so, please email me at 'sq764@aol.com'. Thank you, Scott ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Why not post your questions here so that others may benefit from any solution offered. >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to complete a ...

Problems opening Excel files using DFS links
Hi, I origianlly posted this question under networking, but this may be a better forum for my question. Have a weird problem. We're on a Windows 2000 domain where the users' home directory has been redirected using this syntax: \\fqdn.xxx\dfs root\sharename\%username%. The DFS root server is a member file server that holds the majority of the network shares (including the user profiles and home folders). The DFS root is registered in our AD. Here's the problem: Occasionally someone will try to open an Excel file on a share via a DFS link and will get an error message stati...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003
I got a new computer and installed Office 2003, and wanted to move my calendar to the new PC. I created a new data file called Personal Folders from Old PC. I wanted to copy my calendar OVER my current one in Personal Folders, but don't see a way to do so. I can copy my old calendar into the Pesonal Folders, but can't delete the new, empty Calendar. So I have Calendar, and Calendar 1 under my Personal Folders. Any way to just import/copy my reminders/appointments into my new calendar? Thanks for any advice. Ck G'Day Cathy, 1. Use the Folder List 2. Click on the OLD Cal...

Where to go for Word and Excel?
Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the news.microsoft.com server. Where does one go now for questions about these and other Office applications? I know this isn't relevant to this newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something. TIA LAS On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:56:47 -0400, "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote: � Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the � news.microsoft.com server. Where does one go now for questions about these � and other Office applications? I know this isn't relevant ...

Secondary Copy
Hi, My customer using Great Plains modified report(Primary Copy). Now he wants new report something similar to the modified GP report with very few changes. I tried to copy the modified report and planned to use us a secondary copy. But the report has temp tables, so I am unable to make secondary copy. Can some one help me in how to make a new report something similar to the modified report, where to launch it. Whether it is possible throught VBA & Modifier? Regards Selvakumar.S A report with a temporary table can only be a primary copy. This is because only a primary copy can b...

Looking for a tool to repair corrupt excel sheet files
I am looking for a tool to repair corrupt excel sheet files. Any body knows? See also post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/dc040b0756273b62/9a108194fe01016e?lnk=st&q=aa+arens&rnum=1#9a108194fe01016e Bart Excel 2003 Hi Bart, Don't know how you corrupted your file, but from the description it seems you data is fine until you reenter data (F2+Enter would cause a reentry). If the sheet is really corrupt it would be more a matter of retrieving what data you can. From your description it sounds like someone selected all the cells on the ...

local copy of mail
How do you store a copy of all your mail on you local computer when using Exchange? You setup an OST/Offline Folders file. Check with your mail admin if they support that configuration. "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:epNKuJ19FHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > How do you store a copy of all your mail on you local computer when using > Exchange? > ...

Copy info from one workbook to another?
I have a problem I have a workbook with the function i want like a discribe here. The problem is i want to split the workbook but i don`t know how. Is it possible to have a main workbook with information from other workbooks at each worksheet? I have 20 workbooks with information. I would like to have a main workbook with on sheet1 every row from the 20workbooks with category1, on sheet2 every row from the 20workbooks with category2, etc, etc. The information in the 20workbooks in always only on sheet. The Colum in which the data is has no fix end. I go to fill in the rows trough a...

Outlook 2000 SP3
How can I copy my mail and calendar to CD so that I can take my received and sent mail history to a new computer with Outlook installed? Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >How can I copy my mail and calendar to CD so that I can >take my received and sent mail history to a new computer >with Outlook installed? Thanks. >. > All your data saves in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst and C:\Documents and Settings\Evgeni\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst You can either install instan...

To-days date in Header or Footer
Hello, I would like to-days date to display in the Header or Footer of a spreadsheet each time it is printed. I know you can use =TODAY() in the body of a worksheet and wonder if there is a way to use it in the header or footer. Excuse my ignorance .. as you can see I am not a expert in Excel .. some help would be much appreciated. Abay Wed, 2 May 2007 19:18:12 -0700 from Abay <abcd@aol.com>: > Hello, > > I would like to-days date to display in the Header or Footer of a > spreadsheet each time it is printed. I know you can use =TODAY() in the > body of a wo...

2008 Excel Print Preview
I do not see print preview under file or anywhere else...wondering if this is specific to my install or it is hidden In article <ee8d6ae.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, done@officeformac.com wrote: > I do not see print preview under file or anywhere else...wondering if this is > specific to my install or it is hidden Neither. Since all actual print operations are done via the OS, the separate Print Preview function has been removed from XL08. You can generally use Print Layout view to get an good idea of what the printed page will look. Otherwise, choosing File/Print and clic...

Text to column and paste special transpose
Hi All, I have 1 table like this item_number qty ref 00010-001 3 U34,U36,U43 00013-001 2 U16,U21 12505-001 3 U32,U33,U42 12512-001 3 U5,U6,U27 and 1 want it to become like this item_number qty ref 00010-001 3 U34 00010-001 3 U36 00010-001 3 U43 00013-001 2 U16 00013-001 2 U21 12505-001 3 U32 12505-001 3 U33 12505-001 3 U42 12512-001 3 U5 12512-001 3 U6 12512-001 3 U27 Anybody can help me to program it in macro.. usually i do it manually and have to redo again do to careless. After using Text to Columns on Column C.......comma delimited.........Run the Reorganize macro. Sub ReOrganize...

Copy picture ossice wizard
I have project 2007 standard edition, but the button is not working at all? Any suggestions Hi, The wizard is IMHO useless. Go to Roport, Copy Picture and do without the Wizard what millions have done before the Wizard existed. HTH -- Jan De Messemaeker Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional +32 495 300 620 For availability check: http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf "Enrique" <Enrique@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72B5AA6C-67AE-468D-B6AE-FF16F52E57BD@microsoft.com... >I have project 2007 standard edition, but the bu...

How do I set up a supply demand chart in Excel 2007?
I am taking a microeconomics course, how do I set up a supply/demand chart in excel 2007? http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/supply_and_demand/ "Smiles" <Smiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26370E3F-915E-4757-A71E-CA1E9B393BBE@microsoft.com... >I am taking a microeconomics course, how do I set up a supply/demand chart >in > excel 2007? ...

Paste Values not working in Excel 2003 (?)
Hi, Using Excel 2003 with Win xp Pro I copy a range of cels, then I choose EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL > VALUES and it does NOT paste ALL the cel contentent... It does paste all the cels, but only the first 3 lines of each cel's content. Is there any limitation in the number of characters ? Thanks ALex This is not the exact problem you describe, put perhaps it's related: XL2000: "255 Characters in Cell" Error When Copying Worksheet, at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213548 -- HTH - -Frank Isaacs Dolphin Technology Corp. http://vbapro.com ...

Excel error #4
I received the following error from excel when i try to launch an excel attachment from lotus notes: GC-PREVUE: gcprevue.exe - application error 0x1c005b2f referenced memory at 0x72612e63. memory cannot be read. Is this an excel problem or lotus notes problem or WinXP problem? Pls help. thks ...

Copy and paste versus copy and insert copied cells
What is the difference between these commands? Try them, it is pretty easy to see the difference -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Alana" <Alana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:879FED29-5541-41B0-BB2C-7108D42ED593@microsoft.com... > What is the difference between these commands? ...

Checkboxes in Excel to Access
Hi All, I need to convert an Excel table into Access however the Excel tabl contains checkboxes. Does anyone know how to get the values from th checkbox, ie T/F, referenced. Any ideas will be much appreciated Thank -- rodmasters23Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i What happens when you import the Excel data into an Access table? -- More info, please ... Jeff Boyce <Office/Access MVP> "rodmasters23" <rodmasters23.1z6xm1@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote in message news:rodmasters23.1z6xm1@NoSpamPleaze.com... > > Hi All, > > I need to convert an Excel table in...

excel 95 #3
Where can I get Excel 95. I need it load my old old SuperCal spreadsheets. My new ver of Excel can't handle it.... Thanx Hanz Here's one place... http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Microsoft_Office-95_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ51336QQsocmdZListingItemList -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "Hanz Schmidt" <hschmidt99@hotmail.com> wrote in message Where can I get Excel 95. I need it load my old old SuperCal spreadsheets. My new ver of Excel can't handle it.... Thanx Hanz E-Bay?...

Planner in Excel
Hi, Need your help to create a simple planner in Excel. I found plenty calendars, nice planners, plain and array formula solutions but they all appeared to be formatted as normal calendar grid (by weeks) or dates distributed down the column. I need dates distributed across the single row with week's numbers and days above. Let's say following set up (formatting): 1. Columns 1 and 2 are reserved for project number, project name 2. Row 1 - month name 3. Row 2 - week number (formatted centred for 7 weekdays in row 3) 4. Row 3 - day (Monday-Sunday) repeated only for the actual dates in ro...

subtotal copy and paste
Hi I have used the subtotal option in Excel and this is fine. I have also collasped the list so only the subtotal for each category is visible. However I want to copy and paste this list (just the subtotal) into another sheet When I do this it expands and shows all the results. Is it possible to just copy the visible bit. I have looked in paste special but no luck Cheers Hager On Jan 21, 6:38=A0am, Hager <Ha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > > I have used the subtotal option in Excel and this is fine. I have also > collasped the list so only the...

Rounding in Excel
I need to round a time to the nearest 30 minutes in Excel One way: XL stores times as fractional days, so since 30 minutes is 1/48 of a day: =ROUND(A1*48,0)/48 format as a time. In article <85471F3C-009B-468C-826A-FE979AE7E9BD@microsoft.com>, "DG" <DG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to round a time to the nearest 30 minutes in Excel ...

Office 2008 XML Convertor for Mac 2004 Excel?
Well, the XML Beta convertor works (sort of) for Word 2008 x docs, but what is there for the new Excel .xlsx docs? No convertor mentioned that I can find on MS site. -- To reply by email, remove the word "space" On 8/1/07 1:58 PM, in article labolide-DA22BA.10585301082007@news.giganews.com, "Kurt" <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote: > Well, the XML Beta convertor works (sort of) for Word 2008 x docs, but > what is there for the new Excel .xlsx docs? > No convertor mentioned that I can find on MS site. There is no converter yet. Keep watching mactopia for an...

Copy above fails one way, copy below fails another way
I have a table of blood pressure readings that looks something like this: A B C D E 11 12 Averages: 134 83 74 13 R# Date Sys Dia Pul 14 4 8/17/08 138 87 72 15 3 8/15/08 130 84 76 16 2 8/12/08 137 83 70 17 1 8/11/08 129 79 76 Cell A14 contains =A15+1 Cell C12 contains =AVERAGE(C14:C17) Cell D12 contains =AVERAGE(D14:D17) Cell E12 contains =AVERAGE(E14:E17) Every time I take a new reading, I want to add a row to the top of the table, between row 13 (the header) and row 14 (the previous top row). I want to push a...