can I sort text data into bins?

Hi,

Here's my problem - I hope you can understand it & help:

Let's say I've got a column, A (or row 1, it doesn't matter) tha
contains cells, each with a single word/category that I'm interested i
[example: dog, cat, bird, fish, gerbil] - we can assume that this is m
list of category headers/titles.
Plus I've also got various other columns, A-D (or rows) next to m
column A titles that each contain a list of items, one per cell:  [eg
B1=dog + B2=cat, C1=bird + C2=cat + C3=gerbil].

Perhaps it would be clearer if I drew it out (ignore the dashes
they're just there to keep my columns straight):
A(titles)------- B ---------- C ----------- D
dog------------fish---------bird--------- fish
cat ----------- dog --------gerbil--------cat
bird--------------------------cat--------------
fish--------------------------------------------
gerbil------------------------------------------

Now, rather than just sorting columns A-D alphabetically to get:
A---------------B----------- C----------- D
bird ----------dog---------bird----------cat
cat------------fish----------cat---------- fish
dog------------------------ gerbil-----------
fish-------------------------------------------
gerbil-----------------------------------------

...I actually want to sort B-D according to the original order of A s
that missing or empty (horizontal) categories are actually left blank
rather than just collapsed into the smallest vertical list possible:
A----------------B----------C------------D
dog------------dog-----------------------
cat -------------------------cat---------cat
bird ------------------------bird----------
fish ------------fish---------------------fish
gerbil----------------------gerbil---------

Do you see what I mean? It's rather like sorting data into appropriat
bins before making a frequency histogram chart, but here I want to sor
text into categories not numbers into bins, so . And nothing I've trie
so far seems to work, so I'd really appreciate any suggestions you ca
give.

Thanks so much, F

:confused

Hi
see Dave's answer in public.excel

P.S.: please don't multipost :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"fern >" <<fern.16s5ex@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> Here's my problem - I hope you can understand it & help:
>
> Let's say I've got a column, A (or row 1, it doesn't matter) that
> contains cells, each with a single word/category that I'm interested
in
> [example: dog, cat, bird, fish, gerbil] - we can assume that this is
my
> list of category headers/titles.
> Plus I've also got various other columns, A-D (or rows) next to my
> column A titles that each contain a list of items, one per cell:
[eg:
> B1=dog + B2=cat, C1=bird + C2=cat + C3=gerbil].
>
> Perhaps it would be clearer if I drew it out (ignore the dashes,
> they're just there to keep my columns straight):
> A(titles)------- B ---------- C ----------- D
> dog------------fish---------bird--------- fish
> cat ----------- dog --------gerbil--------cat
> bird--------------------------cat--------------
> fish--------------------------------------------
> gerbil------------------------------------------
>
> Now, rather than just sorting columns A-D alphabetically to get:
> A---------------B----------- C----------- D
> bird ----------dog---------bird----------cat
> cat------------fish----------cat---------- fish
> dog------------------------ gerbil-----------
> fish-------------------------------------------
> gerbil-----------------------------------------
>
> ..I actually want to sort B-D according to the original order of A so
> that missing or empty (horizontal) categories are actually left
blank,
> rather than just collapsed into the smallest vertical list possible:
> A----------------B----------C------------D
> dog------------dog-----------------------
> cat -------------------------cat---------cat
> bird ------------------------bird----------
> fish ------------fish---------------------fish
> gerbil----------------------gerbil---------
>
> Do you see what I mean? It's rather like sorting data into
appropriate
> bins before making a frequency histogram chart, but here I want to
sort
> text into categories not numbers into bins, so . And nothing I've
tried
> so far seems to work, so I'd really appreciate any suggestions you
can
> give.
>
> Thanks so much, F
>

> :confused:
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)

There's no way to do that that's built-in, as far as I know.  You could use
a macro to do it.  Here's what I came up with.  Select your range and run
this macro.

Sub SortBuckets()

    Dim aAllVals() As Variant
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim i As Long, j As Long
    Dim vTemp As Variant, vTemp2 As Variant
    Dim lCurrRow As Long

    'Make array big enough to hold all the cells
    'second dimension is the column
    ReDim aAllVals(1 To Selection.Cells.Count, 1 To 2)

    'fill the array
    For Each cell In Selection.Cells
        i = i + 1
        aAllVals(i, 1) = cell.Value
        aAllVals(i, 2) = cell.Column
    Next cell

    Selection.ClearContents

    'Sort the array based on the value
    For i = LBound(aAllVals, 1) To UBound(aAllVals, 1) - 1
        For j = i + 1 To UBound(aAllVals, 1)
            If aAllVals(i, 1) > aAllVals(j, 1) Then
                vTemp = aAllVals(i, 1)
                vTemp2 = aAllVals(i, 2)
                aAllVals(i, 1) = aAllVals(j, 1)
                aAllVals(i, 2) = aAllVals(j, 2)
                aAllVals(j, 1) = vTemp
                aAllVals(j, 2) = vTemp2
            End If
        Next j
    Next i

    'Loop through the array
    For i = LBound(aAllVals, 1) To UBound(aAllVals, 1)
        'Skip blanks
        If Len(aAllVals(i, 1)) > 0 Then
            'If the first time through
            If i = LBound(aAllVals, 1) Then
                lCurrRow = 1
            'If not the same value, increase the row
            ElseIf aAllVals(i, 1) <> aAllVals(i - 1, 1) Then
                lCurrRow = lCurrRow + 1
            End If
            'If it is the same value the row stays the same

            'Write the value to its original column
            Cells(lCurrRow, aAllVals(i, 2)).Value = aAllVals(i, 1)
        End If
    Next i

End Sub

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"fern >" <<fern.16s5ex@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here's my problem - I hope you can understand it & help:
>
> Let's say I've got a column, A (or row 1, it doesn't matter) that
> contains cells, each with a single word/category that I'm interested in
> [example: dog, cat, bird, fish, gerbil] - we can assume that this is my
> list of category headers/titles.
> Plus I've also got various other columns, A-D (or rows) next to my
> column A titles that each contain a list of items, one per cell:  [eg:
> B1=dog + B2=cat, C1=bird + C2=cat + C3=gerbil].
>
> Perhaps it would be clearer if I drew it out (ignore the dashes,
> they're just there to keep my columns straight):
> A(titles)------- B ---------- C ----------- D
> dog------------fish---------bird--------- fish
> cat ----------- dog --------gerbil--------cat
> bird--------------------------cat--------------
> fish--------------------------------------------
> gerbil------------------------------------------
>
> Now, rather than just sorting columns A-D alphabetically to get:
> A---------------B----------- C----------- D
> bird ----------dog---------bird----------cat
> cat------------fish----------cat---------- fish
> dog------------------------ gerbil-----------
> fish-------------------------------------------
> gerbil-----------------------------------------
>
> ..I actually want to sort B-D according to the original order of A so
> that missing or empty (horizontal) categories are actually left blank,
> rather than just collapsed into the smallest vertical list possible:
> A----------------B----------C------------D
> dog------------dog-----------------------
> cat -------------------------cat---------cat
> bird ------------------------bird----------
> fish ------------fish---------------------fish
> gerbil----------------------gerbil---------
>
> Do you see what I mean? It's rather like sorting data into appropriate
> bins before making a frequency histogram chart, but here I want to sort
> text into categories not numbers into bins, so . And nothing I've tried
> so far seems to work, so I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can
> give.
>
> Thanks so much, F
>

> :confused:
>

> ---

dickk (90)
5/24/2004 11:16:55 PM
Hi!

Need more information. eg can the same item occur more than once in
given column (and, if so, how do you plan to deal with it).

Meanwhile, the following sub does a binning job on 4 columns(j: firs
one defines the bins) and 5 rows (i for the row no. of each non-bi
item: k for the row no. of a bin item.

It collects the bits and pieces 4 columns down the line.

Any use?

Al

I'd just like to say  #@&%!*

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel
Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel
www.dicks-blog.com

0
dickieboy5 (13)
5/25/2004 2:11:45 AM
Hi Dick
I was also in the middle of creating a macro then I saw his other
post........

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Dick Kusleika" <dickieboy5@cox.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Frank Kabel wrote:
> > Hi
> > see Dave's answer in public.excel
> >
> > P.S.: please don't multipost :-)
> >

> I'd just like to say  #@&%!*
>

> --
> Dick Kusleika
> MVP - Excel
> Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel
> www.dicks-blog.com

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

mailto syntax for text to display
I am successfully using the following: - Private Sub lblFeedback_Click() Link = "mailto:user@domain.com?subject=Subject" On Error GoTo NoCanDo ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=Link, NewWindow:=True Exit Sub NoCanDo: MsgBox "Cannot open " & Link End Sub Is it possible to hide the email address and put e.g. "ADMIN" with something similar to the text to display used in the Outlook address book? If you are actually using Outlook, then you should be able to put the display name in for existing contacts. You can als...

matching and finding data
hi, how do i match columnA in spreadsheetA with columnB in spreadsheetB to find the value in columnD of spreadsheetB ? I don't understand what you want to do. Can you please re-phrase this, and if you give an example of what you want to achieve then so much the better. Pete On Sep 8, 9:04=A0am, Lynn <moley_c...@yahoo.com.au> wrote: > hi, > > how do i match columnA in spreadsheetA with columnB in spreadsheetB to > find the value in columnD of spreadsheetB ? Maybe... =vlookup(a1,sheetb!b:d,3,false) or =index(sheetb!d:d,match(a1,sheetb!b:b,0)) Debra Dalgleish has lot...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...