Can I show server name instead of drive letter?

When using the =Cell("filename") function, I would like to show the actual
server instead of a drive letter because the letter is dependent on where the
server is mapped and not all users have the same mapping.  Is this possible?
0
bfant (5)

Try using:
\\ServerName\drive\...
where ServerName is the name of the server and drive is the appropriate
drive, and then find the file on the drive from that point.

"bfant" wrote:

> When using the =Cell("filename") function, I would like to show the actual
> server instead of a drive letter because the letter is dependent on where the
> server is mapped and not all users have the same mapping.  Is this possible?
0
Chad9044 (93)
2/14/2005 7:47:13 PM
And you may want to make your formula look more like:

=cell("filename",a1)

Otherwise, your formula will evaluate to the last workbook that was calculated.

You can see this if you have the same formula in A1 of sheet1 of two separate
workbooks.

Window|arrange|horizontal

(Save both workbooks and look at each of the cells after each save.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> And you may want to make your formula look more like:
>
> =cell("filename",a1)
>
> Otherwise, your formula will evaluate to the last workbook that was calculated.
>
> You can see this if you have the same formula in A1 of sheet1 of two separate
> workbooks.
>
> Window|arrange|horizontal
>
> (Save both workbooks and look at each of the cells after each save.)
>
> bfant wrote:
> >
> > When using the =Cell("filename") function, I would like to show the actual
> > server instead of a drive letter because the letter is dependent on where the
> > server is mapped and not all users have the same mapping.  Is this possible?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
bfant (5)
2/15/2005 8:05:01 AM
Did you try Chad's suggestion of opening the file by traversing the UNC
path--not the mapped drive?

(I don't have a network to test it on.)

--

Dave Peterson
0
"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Did you try Chad's suggestion of opening the file by traversing the UNC
> path--not the mapped drive?
>
> (I don't have a network to test it on.)
>
> bfant wrote:
> >
> > I know my original question was vague, so let me be a bit more specific.
> > When using =cell("filename",a1), the cell will display something like:
> > (G:\Folder[File]Worksheet.xls )
> > Instead of the drive letter, which can have any server mapped to it, I would
> > like the actual server name.  I know this can be done using macros, but I
> > would like to know if there is a formula or add in that will do the same
> > thing.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > And you may want to make your formula look more like:
> > >
> > > =cell("filename",a1)
> > >
> > > Otherwise, your formula will evaluate to the last workbook that was calculated.
> > >
> > > You can see this if you have the same formula in A1 of sheet1 of two separate
> > > workbooks.
> > >
> > > Window|arrange|horizontal
> > >
> > > (Save both workbooks and look at each of the cells after each save.)

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
bfant (5)
2/16/2005 2:15:02 AM
Don't you have to open the file to print it?

If you just rightclick, Print (from Explorer), make sure you're looking at the
file via the UNC path.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Don't you have to open the file to print it?
>
> If you just rightclick, Print (from Explorer), make sure you're looking at the
> file via the UNC path.
>
> bfant wrote:
> >
> > I do not want to open the file, instead I want to show the filename when the
> > file is printed (except instead of the drive letter, I want to see the
> > server).  I have used macros to do this in the past, but I do not want to
> > have to do this in the future.
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you try Chad's suggestion of opening the file by traversing the UNC
> > > path--not the mapped drive?
> > >
> > > (I don't have a network to test it on.)

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
bfant (5)
2/16/2005 5:37:02 PM
It seems non-trivial to me.

But maybe you could parse each cell looking for a letter followed by a
colon--but you'd have to hope that it was actually referring to a drive.

Then you could use some API functions to translate that letter to its
appropriate UNC path.

And be careful.  Formulas are limited to 1024 characters when measured in R1C1
reference style.

For me, I think I'd just make that extra effort to open it via the UNC path.
(Maybe even make a shortcut to that folder (or directly to the file).)

I keep a folder on my desktop that contains lots of shortcuts to files--most of
those shortcuts use the UNC path.  It works ok for me--maybe you could use that
idea, too.

--

Dave Peterson
0

However, as I wrote earlier, I have used a macro to do this before and after
talking to a co-worker learned that I can save my macro as an add-in on the
network so other people can load it and use it as well.  If you are
interested in this, I can post it after I have worked out some of the bugs.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> It seems non-trivial to me.
>
> But maybe you could parse each cell looking for a letter followed by a
> colon--but you'd have to hope that it was actually referring to a drive.
>
> Then you could use some API functions to translate that letter to its
> appropriate UNC path.
>
> And be careful.  Formulas are limited to 1024 characters when measured in R1C1
> reference style.
>
> For me, I think I'd just make that extra effort to open it via the UNC path.
> (Maybe even make a shortcut to that folder (or directly to the file).)
>
> I keep a folder on my desktop that contains lots of shortcuts to files--most of
> those shortcuts use the UNC path.  It works ok for me--maybe you could use that
> idea, too.
>

> bfant wrote:
> >
> > This did in fact give me the results I am looking for.  However, it is very
> > time consuming and could be confusing for some people.  I would think that
> > there would be someone that could develop an add-in that would give the
> > results I am looking for.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Don't you have to open the file to print it?
> > >
> > > If you just rightclick, Print (from Explorer), make sure you're looking at the
> > > file via the UNC path.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
bfant (5)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Changing domain names
When I first set up sbs2003 I used companyweb as my domain name. How do I change it to my xyz.com domain? Also if anyone knows of any helpful tutorials on this subject it would really help. Thanks in Advance Take a look at: 822447 How to Modify an SMTP E-Mail Address by Using Recipient Policies http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822447 You'll need to ensure that the new domain (xyz.com) has MX records pointing to your router (which should then point to the mail server) or directly to the mail server. You'll most likely need to modify the default recipient policy and change t...

Can't send/receive

controls showing up late with ShowWindow?
I have an application I wrote to print some labels to a barcode printer. It works fine, but I noticed that two labels which I hide at design time and then show just prior to printing with WriteFile, act a bit strange. Only one shows up initially and then after printing the other one shows up. I got around this by putting them in the printing loop which loops through all the files though I did not really want to do it that way. Even when I do it this way though the one label loses its sunken property until printing is completed. Any ideas why and how I can fix this. For the time ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Show format in formula bar
Hello: On some spreadsheets I have #'s in the billions added together in cells. Sometimes it is difficult to verify the number is 10,000,000,000 because it shows up as 10000000000. My eyes get crossed counting the zeros. I'd love if the formula bar would show 10,000,000,000; however, can't seem to find a way to do this. Is this possible? No, you can't change the number formatting in the formula bar. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Native" <native_texan_03@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

Microsoft Exchange Server #4
I need help. Everytime a send an email in Outlook, a window pops up with "Request for data from Microsoft Exchange Server". It takes 1-2 minutes for the request to run out. If I cancel the request, I have to restart outlook and it just starts over again everytime I send an email. Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this from occuring? Are you using an Exchange server? What version of Outlook? What SP = level is Offiice/Outlook? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Randy a...

Bulk attachments

Can Not Reply To Emails

Problem at "Save as"
Hi, I'm having a problem at excel that i don't have on other computers: when i click save as, i would like, as usual, that on the file name window, apeared only the current file name, and not "copy from "filename"". Can you help me, removing this annoying feature? Thanks Cako It probably says "Copy of" and that would be because the file you're trying to save was opened "read only". (You would see that in the title bar). You'll have to figure out why that was but it might be that the file has its "read only" file attrib...

Can't delete email #2

What is the quickest way to get an xml based dataset to add entries to SQL Server?
Because there is no 'datareader' involved, what is the most efficient way to get an XML based dataset to be added to an SQL server dataset? I would hate to have to create a new SQL connection and iterate through making "executenonquery" for each row in the dataset. That seems horribly in-efficient. I know of no other way to get an xml based dataset to push data to the database though. Any pointers? Thanks for any pointers, Peter Robbins Freelance Programmer C#/PHP "MurdockSE" <murdock@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:1153922058.675709.165630@h48g2000cwc.go...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

My printout show page default instructions as well!
Hi - I am VERY new to publisher and when I print out my new creation the page instructions are being printed as well. So my page comes out with my flyer printed on top of the default instructions which I don't want printed as well. Hope this makes sense. Can anyone help me please. I am sure it is something simple, but I have no idea. Thankyou Huh? If you would, send the file to me and let me see if I can figure it out. Send it to jl dot paules at gmail dot com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "HelpMePlease" <HelpMePlease@discussions.microsoft.com> ...