Can I save a re-useable template for Text Import Wizard?

I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel
2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode.  Is there any way to save
the column width settings for future re-use?

No.

"Sinhavacin" wrote:

> I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel
> 2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode.  Is there any way to save
> the column width settings for future re-use?
0
Mike1154 (1216)
9/8/2005 1:02:05 PM
How about this:

If you're always importing files with the same layout, you could record a macro
when you import one of these files.

Start a new workbook.
Record a macro when you open your text file.

Do all the stuff you want during the import, but keep recording when you add
headers/page setup/filters/subtotals/columnwidths/whatever.

Then plop a button from the Forms toolbar on the worksheet (in the workbook that
contains the code).  Assign your macro to this button.

Save that workbook and click the button to test it out!

You could even ask the user (you???) for the name of the file to import:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

    Dim myFileName As Variant

    myFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename(filefilter:="Text Files, *.Txt", _
                        Title:="Pick a File")

    If myFileName = False Then
        MsgBox "Ok, try later"  'user hit cancel
        Exit Sub
    End If

    Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=myFileName '....rest of recorded code here!

End Sub

You'll have to add all that .opentext stuff from your recorded macro.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Best wishes,
Sinhavacin

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> How about this:
>
> If you're always importing files with the same layout, you could record a macro
> when you import one of these files.
>
> Start a new workbook.
> Record a macro when you open your text file.
>
> Do all the stuff you want during the import, but keep recording when you add
> headers/page setup/filters/subtotals/columnwidths/whatever.
>
> Then plop a button from the Forms toolbar on the worksheet (in the workbook that
> contains the code).  Assign your macro to this button.
>
> Save that workbook and click the button to test it out!
>
> You could even ask the user (you???) for the name of the file to import:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub testme()
>
>     Dim myFileName As Variant
>
>     myFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename(filefilter:="Text Files, *.Txt", _
>                         Title:="Pick a File")
>
>     If myFileName = False Then
>         MsgBox "Ok, try later"  'user hit cancel
>         Exit Sub
>     End If
>
>     Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=myFileName '....rest of recorded code here!
>
> End Sub
>
> You'll have to add all that .opentext stuff from your recorded macro.
>
> Then plop a button from the Forms toolbar on the worksheet (in the workbook that
> contains the code).  Assign your macro to this button.
>
> Save that workbook and click the button to test it out!
>
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>
> Sinhavacin wrote:
> >
> > I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel
> > 2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode.  Is there any way to save
> > the column width settings for future re-use?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Need to import contacts from Outlook to Outlook Express
I have a freind having trouble with email on the road and she needs to start using Outlook Express rather than Outlook. How do you import Contacts from OUtlook into Outlook Express. Thanks in advance Hi Donnie, please search the *.wab file on your computer after that FILE | IMPORT | Adressbook -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uR0#ZZBcEHA.2352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I have a freind having trouble w...

Can Not Reply To Emails

Problem at "Save as"
Hi, I'm having a problem at excel that i don't have on other computers: when i click save as, i would like, as usual, that on the file name window, apeared only the current file name, and not "copy from "filename"". Can you help me, removing this annoying feature? Thanks Cako It probably says "Copy of" and that would be because the file you're trying to save was opened "read only". (You would see that in the title bar). You'll have to figure out why that was but it might be that the file has its "read only" file attrib...

Can't delete email #2

backtick saving bug
Description: Internet Explorer 8 Save To Disk damages documents with backticks in attribute values. Steps to reproduce: 1. Create a HTML document containing the code <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE="`" DISABLED > 2. Open the document in Microsoft Internet Explorer. 3. Tell Microsoft Internet Explorer to save the document to disk as bare HTML using ISO encoding. 4. Open the saved document in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Expected result: 4. The saved page should display the same content as the original page. Actual result: 4. The saved page displays...

how to delete templates
I have publisher templates I wish to delete. Please how to do this. I have Excel 2003 Do you have Publisher? What OS? In Windows XP the Publisher templates are in a folder similar to this (hidden). C:\Documents and Settings\<<user name>>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates Vista, also hidden C:\Users\<<user name>>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "david winkley" <david winkley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ABC03B00-049C-4...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messag
My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messages What do you see when you get one? "jimjep" <jimjep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77C1C107-B54C-4DAA-B736-69A870B13F22@microsoft.com... > My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messages jimjep <jimjep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messages What do you mean by "does not let"? Does a hand come out of the screen and grab your wrist so you can't move the mouse? -- Brian Til...

Creating Email Templates
Hello, In looking at the various resources, everyone seems to like the email template functionality .. although I do question one thing. Is it possible to create an email template for use in a workflow THAT IS NOT sent to the customer/account? From what I can tell, if you create an Opportunity/Account/Contact email template, all these automatically send the end account/customer the email. What I would like is when a new Opportunity is created to be sent to some Internal users only ... ie. the user's Manager to confirm the presence of a new Opportunity. This from the looks of th...

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...