Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing data? (Office 97)

I would like to copy a small table from Word into one cell in an Excel
worksheet. The first column of the table is a list of numbers. I tried
converting the table into text with manual line breaks and tab stops to
divide columns and rows, but that didn't solve my problem.

Excel pastes the data into several rows. When I try to merge them, I
get a warning that the selection contains multiple data values, and
merging into one cell keeps the upper-left most data only.

What I tried that didn't work:
*  Formatting the Excel cells as text before pasting the data.
*  The various options for "Paste Special." The closest I got was
inserting the table as a Document Object, which could be a workaround,
I guess.
What I am saving for when all else fails:
* The obvious solution of copying row by row into one Excel cell.

The data in the table is information about my dad's medications. I
would like to have reference charts of how to identify the strength of
each tablet by its color and markings. I got the info from the
manufacturers' websites and entered it into tables in Word, which I
would like to copy into a more comprehensive file I am creating in
Excel. The first column of each table is the strength of the tablet,
entered as 1 mg., 2 mg., etc. The subsequent columns describe the
shape, color, and markings. There are 3 tables, each with about 4-5
rows.

Is there a way to copy each one - whether as a table or as text - into
a single Excel cell without losing data?

Many thanks.

0
memoto (2)

If you want to paste an entire Word table into a single Excel Cell, first
select the table in Word and copy it.  Then in Excel, while holding down the
shift key, pull-down:

Edit > Paste Picture

You will now have a graphic on the worksheet.  You can move and re-size to
fit into a single cell,
--
Gary''s Student

"memoto@myself.com" wrote:

> I would like to copy a small table from Word into one cell in an Excel
> worksheet. The first column of the table is a list of numbers. I tried
> converting the table into text with manual line breaks and tab stops to
> divide columns and rows, but that didn't solve my problem.
>
> Excel pastes the data into several rows. When I try to merge them, I
> get a warning that the selection contains multiple data values, and
> merging into one cell keeps the upper-left most data only.
>
> What I tried that didn't work:
> *  Formatting the Excel cells as text before pasting the data.
> *  The various options for "Paste Special." The closest I got was
> inserting the table as a Document Object, which could be a workaround,
> I guess.
> What I am saving for when all else fails:
> * The obvious solution of copying row by row into one Excel cell.
>
> The data in the table is information about my dad's medications. I
> would like to have reference charts of how to identify the strength of
> each tablet by its color and markings. I got the info from the
> manufacturers' websites and entered it into tables in Word, which I
> would like to copy into a more comprehensive file I am creating in
> Excel. The first column of each table is the strength of the tablet,
> entered as 1 mg., 2 mg., etc. The subsequent columns describe the
> shape, color, and markings. There are 3 tables, each with about 4-5
> rows.
>
> Is there a way to copy each one - whether as a table or as text - into
> a single Excel cell without losing data?
>
> Many thanks.

0
GarysStudent (1572)
11/27/2005 7:18:03 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did in fact figure that out, but
I wondered whether there was a way to insert the table into one cell as
text and not as a graphic. The graphic format does serve my purpose,
though, so I will leave it at that and continue learning other Excel
functions.

Thanks again!

Gary''s Student wrote:
> If you want to paste an entire Word table into a single Excel Cell, first
> select the table in Word and copy it.  Then in Excel, while holding down the
> shift key, pull-down:
>
> Edit > Paste Picture
>
> You will now have a graphic on the worksheet.  You can move and re-size to
> fit into a single cell,
> --
> Gary''s Student
>

> "

0
memoto (2)

Fields in TransactionEntry table
I hope someone can help me understand the contents of three fields in the TransactionEntry table in RMS. I'm trying to see if I can use data stored in these fields to correct the Price in my Item table. Two of the fields are the FullPrice and Price. It appears to me that the Price field is the price charged at the register, the FullPrice is something like the Price in Item. The PriceSource field seems to be a code that is 1 if the regular price is charged, 10 if the price is changed by the cashier and other values depending on the size of the discount applied at the register. My h...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can not Customize Leads View

97 vs 97 SR-2
What are the basic differences between Excel 97 and 97 SR-2? This MSKB article provides the storied history of Excel 97 patches and links to more detailed information about the changes made: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232652&Product=xlw -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Tim2" <Tim2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BFA00FD-9E36-4FEB-B558-EB781563A591@microsoft.com... | What are the basic differences between Excel 97 and 97 SR-2? ...

Excel's calculations are off a few cents!
I can't figure out why my TOTAL for $ column is off from 1-5 cents. When I check the amounts going across, they are correct, but the amount at the bottom of the column is off!! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to manually check all Excel's figures. View more decimal places Natalie, does it still add up incorrectly?? I'm guessing your summing calculated values, that are viewed at less precision than calculated. You can use ROUND(formula, #decimals) to make the calculations round to the precision you desire, or you can set "Tools&q...

Bulk attachments

HR Benefit Table
I'm trying to do some cleanup of our benefits (delete benefits that were enrolled and never used) and in the process of querying table BE010130 there are a ton of benefits that have a 0 in the BENEFITSTATUS_I field. When I try to pull them up in GP they don't show under the specified employee. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I can delete them? ------=_NextPart_0001_079D83ED Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, After looking at the HRBEN.DOC from the SDK, it doesn't appear the BE010130 should have a value of 0. The values that should b...

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Problem at "Save as"
Hi, I'm having a problem at excel that i don't have on other computers: when i click save as, i would like, as usual, that on the file name window, apeared only the current file name, and not "copy from "filename"". Can you help me, removing this annoying feature? Thanks Cako It probably says "Copy of" and that would be because the file you're trying to save was opened "read only". (You would see that in the title bar). You'll have to figure out why that was but it might be that the file has its "read only" file attrib...

Multiple logins
Here is the scenario: My Fiancee & I share some of the same accounts. When she logs into the bank, she can see our joint accounts plus her personal accounts. The same for me. The issue is when I set Money up to pull from the bank, I get two of the same account. If I try to delete one of the duplicates, it tells me it has to delete all accounts from that login (including the history). I do not want to do this, but what can I do to save my sanity? Thanks! ...

Can Not Reply To Emails

Can't delete email #2

Formatting does not follow when copying from one cell to another
I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding, coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above. Why doesn't the formatting copy over too?? A formula returns a result, not any formatting. Pete On Apr 7, 9:55=A0pm, Banker <Ban...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding, > coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy > whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above. =...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this