Can Excel Work like Access

My Question is....Can Excel Work Like Access

I need two people to be able to enter data into the same workbook a
one time.  I do not want to deal with the hassle of access and the fac
that i do not have access on one computer, limits my options.

thanks for any help you can send my way

--
Bostick7
Bostick73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1443

In essence the answer to your question is Yes. Excel can work LIKE Access,
however you need to remember that Access is a relational database management
system and Excel is a spreadsheet environment or known as a flat database.

Your question does not offer a great deal to be able to make a good
decision, however I have developed working models using excel functioning
well wthin a shared environment and so long as you understand that the first
person to open the system will 'lock' the other person from making any
changes, you will be fine. Excel will tell the users this.

There is a great deal that can be acheived using Excel, its a powerful tool,
but chose carefully and good luck.

Regards

Peter

"Bostick73" wrote:

> My Question is....Can Excel Work Like Access
>
> I need two people to be able to enter data into the same workbook at
> one time.  I do not want to deal with the hassle of access and the fact
> that i do not have access on one computer, limits my options.
>
> thanks for any help you can send my way.
>

> --
> Bostick73
> Bostick73's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14435
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=272214

0
PDUK1 (6)
10/25/2004 8:19:04 PM
Hi
try 'Tools - share workbook'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Bostick73 wrote:
> My Question is....Can Excel Work Like Access
>
> I need two people to be able to enter data into the same workbook at
> one time.  I do not want to deal with the hassle of access and the
> fact that i do not have access on one computer, limits my options.
>
> thanks for any help you can send my way.
0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/25/2004 8:20:25 PM
"PDUK1" <PDUK1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

> In essence the answer to your question is Yes. Excel can work LIKE Access,
> however you need to remember that Access is a relational database management
> system and Excel is a spreadsheet environment or known as a flat database.

To make a pedantic point, an .mdb file (which Windows Explorer tells
me is a 'Microsoft Office Access Application') is just a flat file but
to be useful must be accessed using Jet data engine, which is
'relational'.

One may access the data in an .xls using the very same Jet data
engine, so Excel can work a *lot* like MS Access. However, an .xls may
also be accessed via the Excel UI of course, so many of the usual Jet
features, such as strict data typing, constraints, indexes etc, must
be forsaken or reproduced for the native Excel environment

If you know what you are doing e.g. you speak SQL DDL or can
manipulate the objects in the ADOX library, you can create a fully
working Jet .mdb database. Plus the .mdb file format is freely
distributable, AFAIK. So, not having the MS Access app is no excuse
<g>. Here's a quick example:

Sub Test2()

Dim Cat As Object
Dim rs As Object
Dim strConJet As String
Dim strSql1 As String
Dim strSql2 As String

' Amend the following constants to suit
Const PATH As String = "" & _
    "C:\"
Const FILENAME_JET As String = "" & _
    "New_Jet_DB.mdb"

' Do not amend following constants
Const CONN_STRING_JET As String = "" & _
    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    "Data Source=<PATH><FILENAME>"

' Build connection string
strConJet = CONN_STRING_JET
strConJet = Replace(strConJet, "<PATH>", PATH)
strConJet = Replace(strConJet, "<FILENAME>", FILENAME_JET)

' Build sql statements
strSql1 = ""
strSql1 = strSql1 & "CREATE TABLE Pilots ("
strSql1 = strSql1 & " ID INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,"
strSql1 = strSql1 & " lname VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL,"
strSql1 = strSql1 & " fname VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL,"
strSql1 = strSql1 & " mname VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL"
strSql1 = strSql1 & " DEFAULT '{{NA}}'"
strSql1 = strSql1 & ");"

strSql2 = ""
strSql2 = strSql2 & "SELECT ID, lname, fname"
strSql2 = strSql2 & " FROM Pilots;"

' Create new Jet database
Set Cat = CreateObject("ADOX.Catalog")
Cat.CREATE strConJet

With Cat.ActiveConnection

  ' Create tables
  .Execute strSql1

  ' Create some sample data
  .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _
           " VALUES (1, 'Livehulas', 'A')"
  .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _
           " VALUES (2, 'Katewudes', 'B')"
  .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _
           " VALUES (3, 'Hevitoxic', 'C')"
  .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _
           " VALUES (4, 'Norarules', 'D')"

  ' Query data
  Set rs = .Execute(strSql2)
  MsgBox rs.GetString

End With

End Sub

Jamie.

jamiecollins (192)
10/26/2004 1:16:08 PM
I did say 'in essence Yes'. I didn't feel I needed to write a whole article.
Overkil!!

Regards

Peter

"Jamie Collins" wrote:

> [...]
> strSql1 = strSql1 & " fname VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL,"
> strSql1 = strSql1 & " mname VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL"
> strSql1 = strSql1 & " DEFAULT '{{NA}}'"
> strSql1 = strSql1 & ");"
>
> strSql2 = ""
> strSql2 = strSql2 & "SELECT ID, lname, fname"
> strSql2 = strSql2 & " FROM Pilots;"
>
> ' Create new Jet database
> Set Cat = CreateObject("ADOX.Catalog")
> Cat.CREATE strConJet
>
> With Cat.ActiveConnection
>
>   ' Create tables
>   .Execute strSql1
>
>   ' Create some sample data
>   .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _
>            " VALUES (1, 'Livehulas', 'A')"
>   .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _
>            " VALUES (2, 'Katewudes', 'B')"
>   .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _
>            " VALUES (3, 'Hevitoxic', 'C')"
>   .Execute "INSERT INTO Pilots (ID, lname, fname)" & _

PDUK1 (6)
10/26/2004 9:11:01 PM
"PDUK1" <PDUK1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I did say 'in essence Yes'. I didn't feel I needed to write a whole article.
> Overkil!!

I did say, 'To make a pedantic point...' Overreaction! <g>

Jamie.

jamiecollins (192)
10/27/2004 7:32:52 AM
You can also share over the web using a publishing feature - se
http://badblue.com/helpxls.htm . This will expose the workbook over th
web such that users only need browsers to view and modify.  It is freel
triable and appears to be a good solution to getting ASP page/Acces
type functionality with a minimum of time and effort

--
ame1
ame12's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1191

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Excel's calculations are off a few cents!
I can't figure out why my TOTAL for $ column is off from 1-5 cents. When I check the amounts going across, they are correct, but the amount at the bottom of the column is off!! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to manually check all Excel's figures. View more decimal places Natalie, does it still add up incorrectly?? I'm guessing your summing calculated values, that are viewed at less precision than calculated. You can use ROUND(formula, #decimals) to make the calculations round to the precision you desire, or you can set "Tools&q...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Bugs worked out with XP SP2 and Outlook?
When SP2 just came out, one functionality that existed in Outlook 2003 (while using Word as e-mail editor) didn't work anymore, the icons (in Web Tools toolbar) that allowed embedding of sound, video, and marquee text in e-mail. I wrote about that problem here, and there was a response that that is a known bug, that Microsoft was working on. Has there been a fix for this yet, either through a SP2 update, or an Outlook 2003 update? Are you running Windows XP SP2? I think that is what has broken it (or an update to IE). It's broken in Outlook 2003 too. " MS" <ms@nospa...

Can not archive

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...

Looking for Excel Help

Outlook 2003 SP1 upgrade
I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new junk mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is open - If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas as to why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all my rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates everything worked fine. Any help would be gratefully received - Regards, Michael Hewson MCP ...

Convert Excel
How do I convert a database in Excel into Access? Thanks Hi Sue, It depends what you mean by "database". Usually it's fairly simple to move the data from Excel worksheets to Access tables, but anything else - searching, sorting, reporting, validation... - has to be re-created using Access's tools. In general, start by creating a new Access database, then import the data from the Excel workbook. Often, an Excel "database" benefits from being split into two or more related tables in Access; see "About designing a database" in Help - and there's a Ta...

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...