can excel check one column against another

Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with
numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of
numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is
totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E.
Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different
numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column
I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of
numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match.

Sometimes they don't match. Ouch.

So here is my question. How can Excel find, flag, notify or whatever
the error for me without me looking at each and every entry? There are
many many many rows. Gulp. Help.

Thank you.

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474485

Looking at a single row, does E2 have to equal I2?
--
Gary''s Student

"lil'bit" wrote:

> Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with
> numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of
> numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is
> totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E.
> Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different
> numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column
> I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of
> numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match.
>
> Sometimes they don't match. Ouch.
>
> So here is my question. How can Excel find, flag, notify or whatever
> the error for me without me looking at each and every entry? There are
> many many many rows. Gulp. Help.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> lil'bit
>
> married, muddled, and mistook
> lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474485

0
GarysStudent (1572)
10/8/2005 5:01:09 PM
Hi Gary"s Student,  thanks for replying. Yes they =. But when looking at
so many numbers, the eyes play tricks and I was hoping excel could
highlite or flag the different totals as an error .

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474485

Hi,
Try using conditional formatting.
Start by selecting your data, then go to FORMAT/CONDITIONAL FORMATTING,
select FORMULA IS and type:
=$E2<>$I2
choose your formatting......say red background.

in this example 2 is the first row of data, if different change it.

Hope this helps!
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6261

You need to give us more info.  How has it been wrong in the past - what can
go wrong with the data at a detail level such that the totals don't agree.
As Gary said, does Col E have to equal I in every row?

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------

"lil'bit" <lilbit.1wlceb_1128787502.5401@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:lilbit.1wlceb_1128787502.5401@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with
> numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of
> numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is
> totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E.
> Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different
> numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column
> I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of
> numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match.
>
> Sometimes they don't match. Ouch.
>
> So here is my question. How can Excel find, flag, notify or whatever
> the error for me without me looking at each and every entry? There are
> many many many rows. Gulp. Help.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> lil'bit
>
> married, muddled, and mistook
> lil'bit's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474485

0
ken.wright (2489)
10/8/2005 6:43:43 PM
Hip Hip Hooray. Pinmaster, it worked and I found the error in a flash.
You saved these tired eyes from much more work.  :)

Thank you so much. Have a nice weekend.

Ken wrote
> what can go wrong with the data at a detail level such that the totals
> don't agree.

Well let me guess. Human error in entering data?

> As Gary said, does Col E have to equal I in every row?

I answered that. Yes, they must match also.

Thanks to all who replied. Appreciate the help. This is a great forum.

--
lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474485

Hi,
Glad to hear it and thanks for the feedback!

Regards
Jean-Gu

--
pinmaste
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=626
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47448

pinmaster's approach is very good.  Not only does it locate the bad rows, it
will tell you if your fixup is good.
--
Gary's Student

"Ken Wright" wrote:

> You need to give us more info.  How has it been wrong in the past - what can
> go wrong with the data at a detail level such that the totals don't agree.
> As Gary said, does Col E have to equal I in every row?
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03
>
> ------------------------------­------------------------------­----------------
> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
> ------------------------------­------------------------------­----------------
>

> "lil'bit" <lilbit.1wlceb_1128787502.5401@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
> message news:lilbit.1wlceb_1128787502.5401@excelforum-nospam.com...
> >
> > Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with
> > numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of
> > numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is
> > totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E.
> > Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different
> > numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column
> > I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of
> > numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match.
> >
> > Sometimes they don't match. Ouch.
> >
> > So here is my question. How can Excel find, flag, notify or whatever
> > the error for me without me looking at each and every entry? There are
> > many many many rows. Gulp. Help.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > --
> > lil'bit
> >
> > married, muddled, and mistook
> > lil'bit's Profile:
> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474485

0
GarysStudent (1572)
10/8/2005 7:52:02 PM
Yes his reply was right on the money. So thankful I don't have to keep
racking my mind. Just a few pennies entered backwards in one cell can
mess with all the figures. It certainly told me which row to look in.

"it will tell you if your fixup is good."

Gary, what do you mean? When I corrected my backwards amount in one
cell, the highlite color on that row disappeared. Is that what you
mean?

lil'bit

married, muddled, and mistook
lil'bit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4306
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474485

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

How do I make a column of checkboxes quickly?
I have a list of people my company has already mailed letters to (about 500) .. I have another separate list of people that may or may not have been mailed to from the first list. Is there a way to quickly creat a column of checkboxes and then somehow crossreference these people that have already been mailed to (both list have account numbers) so that we can exclude them from our next mail out? See http://tinyurl.com/bfkdt -- HTH Bob Phillips "Kevin Kimbrell via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:eaaf5760ccae43ac8b829a58e9708b6b@OfficeKB.com....

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Excel's calculations are off a few cents!
I can't figure out why my TOTAL for $ column is off from 1-5 cents. When I check the amounts going across, they are correct, but the amount at the bottom of the column is off!! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to manually check all Excel's figures. View more decimal places Natalie, does it still add up incorrectly?? I'm guessing your summing calculated values, that are viewed at less precision than calculated. You can use ROUND(formula, #decimals) to make the calculations round to the precision you desire, or you can set "Tools&q...

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Formatting does not follow when copying from one cell to another
I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding, coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above. Why doesn't the formatting copy over too?? A formula returns a result, not any formatting. Pete On Apr 7, 9:55=A0pm, Banker <Ban...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding, > coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy > whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above. =...

Can't delete email #2

Multiple logins
Here is the scenario: My Fiancee & I share some of the same accounts. When she logs into the bank, she can see our joint accounts plus her personal accounts. The same for me. The issue is when I set Money up to pull from the bank, I get two of the same account. If I try to delete one of the duplicates, it tells me it has to delete all accounts from that login (including the history). I do not want to do this, but what can I do to save my sanity? Thanks! ...

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Validate almost one of two textbox
Hi, how can I validate a group of 2 textbox so the users have to populate at least one of them (or both)? Thanks in advance. Luis On Nov 27, 2:16=A0pm, Luigi <Lu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > how can I validate a group of 2 textbox so the users have to populate at > least one of them (or both)? > > Thanks in advance. > > Luis Use Javascript Function function jsValidateTextBoxGroup(sTxtBox1, sTxtBox2) { var bSuccess =3D true; var sTxtBox1Value =3D document.getElementById(sTxtBox1).value; var sTxtBox2Value =3D document.g...

Can not archive

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...

Looking for Excel Help