can a column for 2 different words and display a number based on how many are found

This should be a very easy thing to do, but I can�t figure it out.
Please Help.  Thanks!

I am trying to scan a column for 2 different words and display a numbe
based on how many are found.

Example:
If the words �Completed� and �N/A� are found within a column as liste
below.  I want to create a formula that will display the number 5
because those words are found 5 times within that column.

Completed
Completed
Completed
N/A
Complete

One way:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"Completed")+COUNTIF(A:A,"N/A")    for column A

Regards

Trevor

"abailey >" <<abailey.17i143@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> This should be a very easy thing to do, but I can't figure it out.
> Please Help.  Thanks!
>
> I am trying to scan a column for 2 different words and display a number
> based on how many are found.
>
> Example:
> If the words "Completed" and "N/A" are found within a column as listed
> below.  I want to create a formula that will display the number 5,
> because those words are found 5 times within that column.
>
> Completed
> Completed
> Completed
> N/A
> Completed
>

> ---

Trevor9259 (673)
6/7/2004 9:28:00 PM
Thanks Trevor!!!!

I really appreciate it

Another:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A:A,{"Completed","#N/A"}))

Alan Beban

Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:

> One way:
>
> =COUNTIF(A:A,"Completed")+COUNTIF(A:A,"N/A")    for column A
>
> Regards
>
> Trevor
>

> "abailey >" <<abailey.17i143@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>This should be a very easy thing to do, but I can't figure it out.
>>Please Help.  Thanks!
>>
>>I am trying to scan a column for 2 different words and display a number
>>based on how many are found.
>>
>>Example:
>>If the words "Completed" and "N/A" are found within a column as listed
>>below.  I want to create a formula that will display the number 5,
>>because those words are found 5 times within that column.
>>
>>Completed
>>Completed
>>Completed
>>N/A
>>Completed
>>

>>---
>>Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
unavailable (273)

How to Link to the next blank row after the last entry in a column?
Cell BM6 Sheet1, has a formula that gives me a numeric total. The total belongs in Column D1 Sheet2 after the last entry, and there will be cells that will remain blank in that column before the last entry. Sheet1 is a work sheet, which will be saved with a new file name at the end of the month after the totals have been sent to Sheet2. Sheet2 is a permanent, ongoing record. The numbers on original Sheet1 will then be erased and the worksheet reused for the new month. :confused: How do I get the values into the appropriate row of Sheet2 and have them remain there when I reuse the workshee...

Integration Manager error #2
Is anyone familiar with this error from the Itegration Manager: "DOC 1 ERROR: Could not locate the Integration Manager sanScript library." I get this when running a payroll transaction integreation. The import file is a flat text file located on a network drive. IM runs other integrations on this PC. Regards, - Greg Crowe ...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

How do I make a column of checkboxes quickly?
I have a list of people my company has already mailed letters to (about 500) .. I have another separate list of people that may or may not have been mailed to from the first list. Is there a way to quickly creat a column of checkboxes and then somehow crossreference these people that have already been mailed to (both list have account numbers) so that we can exclude them from our next mail out? See http://tinyurl.com/bfkdt -- HTH Bob Phillips "Kevin Kimbrell via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:eaaf5760ccae43ac8b829a58e9708b6b@OfficeKB.com....

Can't send/receive

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

97 vs 97 SR-2
What are the basic differences between Excel 97 and 97 SR-2? This MSKB article provides the storied history of Excel 97 patches and links to more detailed information about the changes made: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232652&Product=xlw -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Tim2" <Tim2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BFA00FD-9E36-4FEB-B558-EB781563A591@microsoft.com... | What are the basic differences between Excel 97 and 97 SR-2? ...

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Page numbers 12-02-09
On MS Word 2003, I am formatting a 5.5 x 8.5 book. How can I get the page numbers to come in at 7.75? I tried bringing the bottom 'margin' up to 8.5, but the numbers still come in at 10.5 on the 11" vertical page. Actually I've tried a lot of things! Footers also seem to want to hit the bottom 1/2 or inch of the 11 available. How to number so that they show within the 8.5 space on a 'sheet'?. Susanne, sideways isn't an option, because I may go for a 6 x 9 format. TIA! Sylvia M. You must change your footer margin as well as the bottom margi...

timesheet entry error #2
When we enter timesheets, we get the error that the pay code does not exist for the employee in the rate table. I looked at the KB 874621 as well and everything checks out. We get our cost and billing from employee rate table. Surprisingly we are getting this error for the project for all the employees. Apart from making sure that the employee with his salary paycode (as he is a salary employee) is defined in the rate table, what else can I check? ...

Blocking mouse clicks #2
In some lengthy operations, I want to change the cursor to a WaitCursor. I'm using Martyn's CPersistentCursor to hold this WaitCursor. http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/persistentwaitcursor.asp But for my surprise, a WaitCursor don't block the mouse clicks. How could I achieve this? What's wrong with BeginWaitCursor() and EndWaitCursor()? AliR. "Renegade" <renegade@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23xWfY4pRFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In some lengthy operations, I want to change the cursor to a WaitCursor. > I'm using Martyn's CPersi...

Bulk attachments

Publisher file won't open #2
I worked for three hours then Publsher crashed. I had saved my file, but when I trie to open it it says problem with file, do you want to report it, and then reboots Publisher. How can I save my work? Using Publisher 2003. You may send the file to me. If I can open it I'll save it for you. If it crashes my system, you may be SOL. (Surely out of luck.) If you want to accept my offer, send it to jl dot paules at gmail at com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:r4ns615gkmkm12q5or5nd0k70gac5stjbc@4ax....

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

What is the quickest way to get an xml based dataset to add entries to SQL Server?
Because there is no 'datareader' involved, what is the most efficient way to get an XML based dataset to be added to an SQL server dataset? I would hate to have to create a new SQL connection and iterate through making "executenonquery" for each row in the dataset. That seems horribly in-efficient. I know of no other way to get an xml based dataset to push data to the database though. Any pointers? Thanks for any pointers, Peter Robbins Freelance Programmer C#/PHP "MurdockSE" <murdock@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:1153922058.675709.165630@h48g2000cwc.go...

Unable to send e-mails #2
As soon as I hit "send & receive", I get a message from the System Administrator saying my e-mail is "undileverable" with the following text: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Mid-Atlantic Weekly Report 10/8 Sent: 10/10/2004 7:26 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'Scott Frigaard' on 10/10/2004 7:26 AM 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) 'Andy Aweida' on 10/10/2004 7:26 AM 553 sorry, that domain isn...

How can I rename a database table?