Calculate % variance on previous quarters. Quarter %, etc. pivot

How do I calculate a % variance from the previous quarterly total and place
the % variance next to that particular quarter?

Column      qtr1  %   qtr2  %  qtr3  %  qtr4  %  Total$
Row
item1         50    ??    75    ??  100  ??  125  ??

Example: what is the % variance from qtr1 and qtr2?  The variance per cent
will go into the column format betwenn qtr1 and qtr2.  Designated as ??.
0
DaveC (14)

The best way to calculate qtr over qtr performance is the following.

X = Previous Qtr Revenue
Y = New Quarters Revenue

The formula is:

=(Y-X)\X

So in your example for Q1 to Q2 revenue would be:

=(75-50)/50 = 50%

So the increase Qtr over Qtr was 50%  You always devide (the difference
from the new quarter to the old quarter) from the old quarter becuase
that is the % you are looking for the delta from.

HTH,

PZan

--
PokerZan
PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480

Old emails previously filed into subfolders going to Junk Email
We're on Exchange 2007, and most of the clients run Windows XP with Office 2003. So far this has been running fine. Though recently we've updated some of the clients to Office 2007, these clients are now finding that sometimes emails they've previously open, then filed into subfolders, now appear in their Junk email folder. Also if you right click these emails and mark as not junk, it actually asks if you wish to move back into the specific subfolder it should be in (not the inbox). I've googled and I wasn't able to find any other cases of this, so I'd ...

Newbie problem with amortization calculations
Hello, I've just today installed Money 2006 Deluxe trial version; a full version is on the way, which I am beginning to regret. I've only gotten as far as downloading my checking account from my bank and TRYING to establish an account for my mortgage. I have entered the information five times now, but the mortgage amortization Money calculates simply will NOT match my bank's. It starts off being off by a few pennies at best, and escalates by the end of the amortization to being off by anywhere from a few dollars to fifty or more. Money also will not allow me to make the mortgage ...

Pivot Query Help
I have the following query. I would like 'createnamerole' to become the columns and 'ordersourcedesc' to become the rows with the count values being the data contained between. I beleive I should use PIVOT but am unaware how. Select b.OrderSourceDesc, b.CreateNameRole, Count(b.OrderID) as Countof From (Select a.OrderID, a.CustomerNumber, a.OrderDate, a.ProductID, S.OrderSourceDesc, a.CreateNameRole From dbo.tblOrderSource S With (nolock) Inner join (SELECT O.OrderID, O.CustomerNumber, O.OrderDate, OL.ProductID, O.OrderSourceID, O.CreateNameRole FR...

Calculate Due Date
Kindly guide me in calculating Due Date in Excel worksheet. In Column "B" there are some dates. I want to calculate due dates after adding 40 days from date mentioned in Column "B" to be displayed in Column "C" Eg: In column "B" Date is 01/06/2004 then after adding 40 days date in column "C" must be 10/07/2004 Pls guide me Ajit Ajit, In cell C5, for instance, the formula should be: =B5+40; enter the formula in your top cell in column C, copy down and format the column as date and you're done! HTH, Nikos "Ajit" <Ajit@d...

Where is my Ctrl-C..Ctrl-V etc...?
Hi All, need your help! situation: I use the CHtmlView MFC single document project, I do this: CString sAppName=AfxGetAppName(); CString sResourseID; sResourseID.Format("%d", IDR_EMPTY_HTML); CString sNavigatePath; sNavigatePath="res://"+sAppName+".exe/"+sResourseID; Navigate2(sNavigatePath); problem I do an empty html(IDR_EMPTY_HTML),but I can only use the left mouse button to copy sth on. the Ctrl-C Ctrl-V etc... are lost. My friend use same class in Dialog base. it's run perfectly. Why? Thanks in advance! ...

How to get information from a Pivot TAble without retyping?
Hi, Someone has made a Pivot Table with a bunch of figures in a spreadsheet. I'd like to link to one of the cells in the Pivot Table instead of typing it up manually. Is this possible? Thanks in Advance Janet You can use the GetPivotData function to return data from a pivot table. There's information here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Grd wrote: > Hi, > > Someone has made a Pivot Table with a bunch of figures in a spreadsheet. > I'd like to link to one of the cells in the Pivot Table instead of typing it > up manually. > Is this possible...

copy a pivot table to another sheet in a macro
Hi there, I created a macro that will copy copy the information from a created pivot table to another sheet. I seemed ok when I recorded the macro. But there's no pivot table on the new sheet when I run the macro. What should I do to correct the problem? Thanks, Aline -- Aline Record another macro when you try it again? If it fails again, you may want to describe what you did to copy the data (copy the cells to a new sheet or copy the sheet???). And share the code (that fails) that does the copy. Aline wrote: > > Hi there, > > I created a...

Problems saving pivot table in same workbook as export query
The user exported a query into a workbook, in the same workbook she added a pivot table worksheet. She saved the workbook but only the export saved. She needs to know if the pivot table can be saved and refreshed with new data later on and saved in the same workbook from an export query. Or does it have to be in a workbook by itself and saved. Please help. ...

Outlook 2002 SP-2 Runaway Writes to McV4A.tmp, etc.
After installing latest Windows XP Pro and IE6 security patches and a McAfee antivirus update on 8/21/2003, noticed sluggishness in Outlook. Got low on disk space warning. Found McV4A.tmp in system folder C:\Documents and Settings\Russell Wade.RUSSLAPT\Local Settings\Temp that was over 7GB. Also creates McV5C.tmp, etc. Could not delete until rebooted even though I closed out of Outlook and McAfee Security Center. Problem does not occur, however, unless I load Outlook. Occurs when Outlook is loaded and McAfee is not. Performed complete virus scan with latest definitions, but no viruse...

Calculations #5
hi all, i was wondering if anybody would know how to re-create the calculation done at this web site: http://www.americancentury.com/workshop/Retirement_calc.jsp I'm not sure what formulas to use to re-create the calculations. I'd like to know the formulas I can use in Excel to perform th calculations done in both sections of the webpage. Would all formulas be exclusive to the PV function only? Can anybody help? I would appreciate it if someone could lead me in the right direction Thanks -- vbc2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vbc22'...

Upgrading Office Versions
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi - I've searched the forums and didn't find anything on this subject, so I apologize if I've missed it. I've upgraded from Office X, to Office 2004 and finally to Office 2008. In my User Data folders, all the folders from previous versions are there, including some rather large identity files. Since Office 2008 has an identity file of its own, do I have to keep the previous ones? Could any of these old folders be deleted entirely? I need to clear out some space on my poor MBP. Thanks much! Candi On 3...

Pivot table question: How to display total and percent for data simultaneouly
I'd like to make a pivot chart that displays the same data both as a total and as a percentage at the same time: Example: Consider the following source data: Name Category Value a c1 10 a c2 20 b c1 5 b c2 30 It is easy enough to make a pivot table displaying: Sum of Value Category Name c1 c2 Grand Total a 10 20 30 b 5 30 35 Grand Total 15 50 65 It is also easy to display the percentages of the grand total for each entry. I'd like to display both simultaneously. Something like Name c...

Retrieving Replies From Previous Questions
Is there a way to retrieve replies from a previous question? I want to see the reply to a question I asked in January. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Jim wrote: >Is there a way to retrieve replies from a previous question? I want to see >the reply to a question I asked in January. A really neat way to find prior postings in this group is to use the Google Usenet Groups archive. http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search enter words that you think would be in relevant posts into the "all of the words" box. Enter microsoft.public.money into the newsgroup box. Consi...

Count unique values
Hi, I've some problems to count unique items (Invoice #) in a pivot table. There is the default solution "Add-a-new-calculated-column" as mentioned on http://contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Unique, but in my case, it doesn't works. My problem is, that these values aren't in a Excel worksheet; it's a external data source - a SQL-Select via DAO/ADO. Because of that, I don't have the possibility to add a new column. Another reason is, that the pivot table should always be dynamic: Group over this field, group over another field - and always show the number of unique...

Where to find previous updates for Office 2008?
Hi I tried to install the service pack for office 2008 but when I started installation it gave an error because I need some extra updates not installed previously. Where can I find all the updates available for Office 2008? How to determine which updates should I need? Thanks Which Service Pack did you try to install -- there are 2 of them for Office 2008. Both include the interim updates which preceded them so you shouldn't need to go any further back than SP1 (12.1.0) plus SP2 (12.2.0) followed but 12.2.1 (the latest interim update). You should be able to run Check fo Updates fo...

Pivot charts & tables
Hi, I'm using Excel 2002 and have a number of charts that I want to put together. I have 3 questions relating to pivot tables & charts. (1) I wish to use the same file but each month add new data to the source data. Will my pivot tables automatically incorporate new data? At the moment I have all my data in one worksheet. I assume the easiest method of doing this is to add new data below the last record? (2) I have a number of charts where I want only the top 10 series. For example I have a pie chart with the top 10 franchises (there are over 30). I have one other pie 'slice&...

calculations 07-18-07
Hi, I have a question. I have reports and average totals now I want to build reports by week or month or whatever how do I add my totals to give me a team average or individual totals per week not just per report. example. I have a team of 10 employes each have different amount of reports and different scores now I want to get a sum total of thier dayly reports and come up with a dayly, weekly and monthly report to give me the grand total of what they have done during the week or month. Currently I have a table that has all the reports and totals, and I also have a query that separates them p...

Calculating the days in a month
I have a Control which is a Date field named 'NEWTOPD'. Based on the date entered in the field it calculates the days offor the whole month making amends for Leap-year as well. If I want only the number of days in that month starting from the date entered in 'NEWTOPD' - to be entered in a calculated text field (which is a number field) named 'Text361' how should I modify the following code? Text361 stores the data in (PDDAYS). 'UPDATE (PDDAYS) BASED ON NEWTOPD DATE Dim iMon As Integer Dim sDate As String ...

Resize plot area in a pivot chart
I'm trying to change the size of the plot area of a pivot pie chart within the chart area. I have no problem doing this with a regular chart but I can't seem to do it with a pivot chart. Also, I want to change the size of the data drop down in the pivot chart, can the size of this be changed? Unfortunately, you can't change either of those items in a pivot chart in Excel 2003 or earlier version. Jon Peltier has instructions for creating a normal chart from pivot table data: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm Aaron wrote: > I'm trying to chang...

Stoping Excel from Calculating?
Can you stop excel from executing any formulas temporarily? Meaning while I update info in the workbook nothing will calculate till I say go? Thanks Tools/ Options/ Calculation/ Manual. -- David Biddulph "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:079819FF-7D05-4D70-8497-65BEFD40ECB6@microsoft.com... > Can you stop excel from executing any formulas temporarily? Meaning while > I > update info in the workbook nothing will calculate till I say go? Thanks Tool > Options > Calculation > select Manual > OK out "J...

Licensing etc
I have developed an application using Access 2000 (from Office 2000 Pro) and have created a deployment version using the Packaging Wizard from the Office 2000 Developer Edition.Both of these products I bought way back in 2000 and no longer have any of the certificates, etc.What do I have to do to make this deployment legal?Thank you.Ray Hallock Ray <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:>I have developed an application using Access 2000 (from Office 2000 Pro) and >have created a deployment version using the Packaging Wizard from the Office >2000 Developer Edition.>>Both of ...

how do I troubleshoot date formats in a pivot table report?
The date format appears only with the month (e.g. Jan) and not the year, even though I have formatted the cells to show, e.g. Jan-05. Mark You shouldn't need to format the date for a year. If you right-click on the date header and select Group and show detail>Group... you will then be able to select months and years. This will add a new field with the year in it. If you have data from multiple years then Excel will aggregate all the January's data for example unless you tell it to show years. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISO...

calculating percentages
I am new at excel. I have inputs done by group 1 of 5410. Inputs done by group 2 of 2420. So, I have a total of 7830 inputs. How do I calculate the percentage done by group 1 over group 2? -- Thanks - Lindamac You can use: =countif(a:a,"group1") to count the number of "Group1"'s in column A. =counta(a:a) will count the number of entries (text, numbers, formulas) in column A. So maybe something like: =countif(a:a,"group1") / counta(a:a) would give you the percentage of group1's lindamac wrote: > > I am new at exc...

How does Money calculate formulas
Hi - is there a reference doc or an FAQ somewhere that details how MS Money calculates its various investment fomulas. I have investments that show different returns in Money vs what the various investment companies are reporting. I've looked around and haven't been able to find anything. Much obliged. Ian In microsoft.public.money, Ian wrote: >Hi - is there a reference doc or an FAQ somewhere that details how MS Money >calculates its various investment fomulas. I have investments that show >different returns in Money vs what the various investment companies are &g...