Bell Curve Chart

I have 2 columns of data - see below.  My boss wants me to create a bell
curve chart, but if I use the chart wizard and select "Line" from the
Standard Types tab then my chart has steep angles.  I reviewed Article 213930
"How To Create A Bell Curve Chart" - 4 pages of complicated how to's and got
hung up on the first page.  Can anyone provide me with some easy to follow
instructions?

A-1	11
A-2	16
A-3	23
B-1	60
B-2	32
B-3	18
C-1	9
C-2	4
C-3	2

Try using an XY chart with smoothed lines.

As for creating a Bell Curve Chart - those are the simplest instructions.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"perale" <perale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 columns of data - see below.  My boss wants me to create a bell
> curve chart, but if I use the chart wizard and select "Line" from the
> Standard Types tab then my chart has steep angles.  I reviewed Article 213930
> "How To Create A Bell Curve Chart" - 4 pages of complicated how to's and got
> hung up on the first page.  Can anyone provide me with some easy to follow
> instructions?
>
> A-1 11
> A-2 16
> A-3 23
> B-1 60
> B-2 32
> B-3 18
> C-1 9
> C-2 4
> C-3 2

0
Bernie
1/7/2010 6:29:50 PM
perale  -

The phrase "bell curve" usually refers to the very special Gaussian
("normal") probability density function.

In many situations, a "histogram" is a better first step in describing your
data.

An Excel histogram is a Column chart type for a frequency distribution of
your data.

If you want to create a histogram, you can use Excel's Histogram tool, part
of the Excel's Analysis ToolPak add-in. Or, you can use my free Better
Histogram tool, available from www.treeplan.com. Or, you can use Excel's
FREQUENCY array-entered worksheet function and create a Column chart from
the function results.

-  Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"perale" <perale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have 2 columns of data - see below.  My boss wants me to create a bell
curve chart, but if I use the chart wizard and select "Line" from the
Standard Types tab then my chart has steep angles.  I reviewed Article
213930
"How To Create A Bell Curve Chart" - 4 pages of complicated how to's and got
hung up on the first page.  Can anyone provide me with some easy to follow
instructions?

A-1 11
A-2 16
A-3 23
B-1 60
B-2 32
B-3 18
C-1 9
C-2 4
C-3 2

0
Mike

Bell Curve
Is there a formula that will calculate a bell curve? NORMDIST with the cumulative parameter set to FALSE will calculate points on the bell curve. See http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm for details. Jerry "Todd Nelson" wrote: > Is there a formula that will calculate a bell curve? ...

Formatting Charts according to field heading
Hi I am trying to create a Macro which will fomat a stacked Column Chart according to the column heading in the source data. I have five columns of data and I would like to assign a colorindex = 3 for the most severe, being red, and different colours for the rest according to the company spec. Can anyone help. cheers, Davie I blogged about this last week: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/03/03/vba-conditional-formatting-of-charts-by-series-name/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com ...

How to hide a chart title, but keep the title in the chart
Using Excel 2003, I am creating charts and linking them to a word document. I'd like to give each chart a title in Excel, then in Word, bring down the top border to "cover" or exclude the title so it doesn't show in the Word document. That way, later I can reopen the top border to remember the title I gave it and where it came from in my Excel spreadsheet. Right now each time I try to mouse-drag the top border, the chart size and shape change, but all the info remains and just gets squished down. I want the chart to remain "stable" so I can cover over the ...

Chart problem in template
Hi, I have a template that has a chart in it. The chart has 4 data series, a left y axis and a right y axis. I am trying to set the 3rd series to plot against the left y axis however it will only plot against the right axis. WHen the report is ran based on the template, I can see the series in the Chart toolboar and can change the series axis in there. However, I need the template to default to the left axis for that series. Only 2 out of the 4 series are showing in the Chart toolbar object list when viewing it in the template. I have tried to get at this through code however, the series 3 ...

Formatting charts
Hi there, I am playing around with a chart and would like to draw the legend of the particular graph outside the chart area Is this possible ? When I try dragging it... it stops at the graph border box. Appreciate any suggestions ! Thanks BRian ...

Chart Forecasting with Excel 97
Hi All, I have a chart which looks at the months in quarter 3. But I want to forecast what figures we would have had for the months in quarter 2. So I want a forecast to go back in time to produce some monthly estimated figures. Can Excel 97 do this in a chart? Or any other way? Please advise. -- Adam ----------- Windows 98 + Office Pro 97 ...

Charting with Benchmarks
I have to create several charts that will identify two things - a 5yr trendline showing their percentages on certain criterial and secondly where they lie against certain benchmarks for the same periode. The benchmarks cannot be stacked columns but dashes or some type of mark. See data below. 2004 2005 2006 2007 ABC 65% 66% 67% 68% DEF 66% 65% 64% 68% Benchmarks 20% 65% 67% 67% 70% 50% 66% 68% 68% 70% 75% 70% 71% 72% 73% Ideally, I would have a trend for the 4 years for the 4 companies and...

Relative Chart Title?
Is there any way to use a cell reference in a chart title? ...

Help Please. Where do I find a curved double arrow connector???
Help Please. Where do I find a curved double arrow connector??? Any connector can be double arrow simply by selecting the arrowhead dialog box (it's a button on the toolbar). Just put in a curved connector (stencil Visio Extras > Connectors), and then change the arrowhead settings. >-----Original Message----- >Help Please. Where do I find a curved double arrow connector??? >. > Thank you for your help but I may have asked my question wrong. I am using the CURVED ARROW from stencil: BLOCK DIAGRAMS>BLOCKS. I would like to use a curved arrow like this but I need i...

Changing Values in Chart Series
Using Excel 2003 I have a stacked-column chart that the values are $4,500,000, $3,700,000 for example. I want the scale to read in the millions like I have just noted, but I want the values on each series to be $4.5M, $3.7M. I cannot just type $4.5M and $3.7M into the cell and base that on my chart, because I have to use these numbers for calculations. How can I do this? HELP! Thank you in advance, Karen I forgot to mention - When I click on Format Axis > Scale > Display Unit > Millions, it returns $5 and $4. I want it be $4.5M, $3.7M. HELP! "Karen" wrote: > Usin...

PP & Excel Data for Charts
Hi, I've just inherited a slide deck that has about 20 slides, each displays a chart driven from embedded excel data. This is no problem, except each week every slide has to be manually updated. The data which is used comes from one excel dump out of another system. So to my question: Is it possible to have multiple slides linked to one excel spreadsheet - then I only have to do the update once and it all updates automatically? Thanks Guys & Gals David ...

Price History Chart
The data is here in Price History, why can't Money chart it for me? Am I missing something? for Money 2004? The default chart only shows a fixed time. If you right click and add the chart to your favorites, you should be able to customize the date range. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially i...

A question regarding coordinates of points within a chart
Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be accessed via a mousemove event? I realize this will require quite a bit of coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point on an X-Y scatter I have. The data set consists of around 27000 points, and I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point. Wazooli Wazooli, Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . . http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221 then, take a look at this post ...

Copy chart?
Exercise #35 (moving right along) had me make a chart on the same sheet as the data. No problem. Then it says to "copy the embedded chart to the worksheet range beginning at...." When I click on the chart area, it *is* selected, but I can't see any way to Copy. The Edit function in the main menu has 'Copy grayed out. Ctl-C just beeps. A right-click in the area brings up a menu without any copy option. How do I copy this chart? Excel 97, BTW. TIA Look at the Chart toolbar, to see which Chart Object is currently selected If the Chart Area is selected, you should be able to...

Scrollbar in charts
I have not used scrollbar in charts before, I have seen posting for scroll bar option but still did not get it. if I have to add scroll bar to the chart then what should i do? I know the icon from the controlbox tool menu but I dont know how to write the code to connect scroll bar with chart/data. any help will be appreciated. Thanks Do a Google with: excel chart control "forms toolbar" Lots of info out there on the topic Then come back with more specific questions best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "ka...

Chart Series
Hi All, I consider myself to be pretty profficient when it comes to Excel and VBA, but charts are pretty much a mystery to me. I have a spreadsheet where vba code populates a date column when other data is entered. Therefore all the dates are in exactly the same format. What I want to do is create a bar chart with the dates as the x axis and the number of times that date appears as the y axis values. For example, with the data below (yes, there can be blank cells) I would like a chart that has 28/12/2005, 29/12/2005 and 30/12/2005 as the x axis, and 5, 2 and 2 as the valies for the y axis...

Can't get data from a web page to chart in excel. Any solutions?
I want to chart some data I have copied from an internet website. have two columns: column 1 is time and column 2 is a fluctuating value There are many data points so I cannot hand type the numbers. Here i an example of the data I am trying to plot: http://www.tradingday.com/is/siri.html use this link and at the bottom there will be stock ticker values. This is where the data is copied from. I would like to chart bot "time" and "price". My problem is listed below: When I paste the numbers into excel, the columns of cells are "merged so I have to split them to e...

creating hierarchy charts
Is there a way to create a hierarchy chart in Visio through a pre-defined layout or does it have to be done manually by using the drawing tool to create the connection lines and using the process shape from the basic flowchart template? I think you have to do it manually, but there is one shortcut that might help. Activate the Connector Tool and then drag out the shapes from the template. A connector is automatically added. Visio connects the new shape to the shape currently selected in the drawing, so be sure to select the correct shape before dragging out a new one. For an even bet...

how to create a 4 parameter logistic equation curve ( 4 P L Curve
how to create a 4 parameter logistic equation curve ( 4 P L Curve ) with VB , VBA or Excel? instead of using MatLab or other Math add-in ? thanks in advance In article <3CDB610D-71E4-4593-A808-928EA4B5AE89@microsoft.com>, sunlite@discussions.microsoft.com says... > > how to create a 4 parameter logistic equation curve ( 4 P L Curve ) with VB , > VBA or Excel? instead of using MatLab or other Math add-in ? > > thanks in advance Program the solution to equation, then use your favorite plotting tool to plot it. D thanks David so much! Would y...

subdivding pie chart slices
Is there a way to subdivide slices in a pie chart to show what percentage of a slice belongs to a subset of data. A Pie-of-Pie chart, perhaps? http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=471 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ cll wrote: > Is there a way to subdivide slices in a pie chart to show what percentage of > a slice belongs to a subset of data. ...

Number Sorting on Chart
Hi all, I have a report that has a chart of line graph graphing sales of a certain prodouct over several weeks of the year and that has a query as row source. On the horizontal (x) axis I have a data table with one of the two horizontal rows as week numbers. In the query I have used Format$ (OrderDate,"ww") to get the week numbers... and this week numbers are on that horizontal row. Whats happening is the numbers appearl like this 1, 10, 11, 12,etc, 2, 20, 21, etc, 3, 30, etc but I want it to appear as it is in the date order of the OrderDate field. such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,.... 10...

Calculation of Area Under a Continuos curve......
Hi, I am working on calculating area under a Continuous Curve.. I have data points...On X axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable X) and on Y axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable Y). If i plot a curve by joinig thses points i get a smooth curve. If i have to calculate the exact area under the curve using Integration Function in Excel Sheet how should i proceed. Data points are : Issuers Defaulters Cum Issuers % Cum Defaulters % C 3 0 0.287907869 0 B 4 2 0.671785029 7.407407407 BB 35 5 4.030710173 25.92592593 BBB 242 15 27.25527831 81.48148148 A 293 4 55.37428023 96.2962963 AA...

looking for a template of bell curve graph
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "darrich" <darrich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4465F7C1-22CB-4D4D-8344-6C5C0B33AC72@microsoft.com... > I have the percentages for a bell curve; I just want to plug in the percentages with a professional-looking bell curve model. I am a graduate student assisting a professor with his Power Point lectures and I am having a difficult time making a bell curve that would look professional. darric wrote: looking for a template of bell curv...

formatting chart legends
I am trying to italicise only part of a series name in the legend of a chart. For example if the series name is "A. glabrate flowers", then "A. glabrata" should be italicised in the legend (as it's the name of a species), but "flowers" should be normal text. I can't seem to be able to do this. Is it possible ? Only with a 'work around' Click the chart and type A. glabrate flowers. This makes a text box and you can format individual letters in it. You must now double click the box border and format dialog give the box the same background colo...