basic formulas

where can i find a generic listing of what certain things
in formulas mean?  (ie. a comma)
0
anonymous (74722)

Try clicking on the cell that contains the formula, then click on the
"=" button next to "Formula Bar"...this will bring up a box that
explains a little bit about the function and show what each section
should contain.  Some functions are more complex than others so try
clicking on the "Help" button inside this new box.  This will open up
Excel Help about the specific function that you're using

I've found that using the Help function in Excel is very...helpful (for
lack of a better word)  the explainations have been good enough to get
me through most functions.

---

Hi Lissa,

If you click on the 'Paste Function' button (the one with the 'fx') on the
Standard toolbar, you can select any function and the 'Paste Function'
dialogue box will give a brief description of what the function does.
Double-click on a function and you'll get more help, including details about
each of the function's parameters when you select them. Click on the 'Help'
button on the dialogue box, and you'll get even more help, including
examples.

Cheers

"Lissa Taylor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> where can i find a generic listing of what certain things
> in formulas mean?  (ie. a comma)

---

Please Help With This Formula
In column D I have a category rating 1, 2, 3 or 4 for example cat means a repair must be made within one month, cat 2 within 3 month etc. Column J is date issued, column K is date due. My question is - how can I flag what is overdue? Can a cell turn into colour via a formula on a certain date?? I would be very grateful for any ideas Regards Dav -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Have a look at Conditional Formatting (Format / Conditional Formatting) Visit here too: http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html for an introduction -- Andy. "p3project >&q...

How to shorten formulas??
Is there a technique to shorten formulas such as this one? =IF(K7=TIME(0,1,30)),J7,IF(AND(K7>TIME(0,1,45),K7<=TIME(0,2,10)),J7+2,IF(AND(K7>TIME(0,2,10),K7<=TIME(0,2,30)),J7+4,IF(AND(K7>TIME(0,2,30),K7<=TIME(0,2,40)),J7+6,IF(K7>TIME(0,2,40),J7+10))))) I'm always creating these spaghetti style formulas and I'd like t learn some techniques to shorten them. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated -- dwest10 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dwest100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?actio...

Basic Visual Basic
I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi as a starting point: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for > help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Conditional Formulas
Hi community, I'm stumped on conditional formulas. I'm trying to create a formula that will do the following: *Look at a particular column and if a cell says "Go" and if another cell in a different column (on the same worksheet) says "Yes", then add up the dollar values associated with the cells that meet both of those conditions. I've tried sumif, and dsum and can not quite get it to work. Can someone please lend some excel expertise. Is this even possible? Hi, I assume that you have Go in column G and yes in column H, then you want to su...

Visual Basic Macros, relative position
Dear Experts, I am making a report, and I have a set of data, in a very looong row: MKT_VAL NET_ASSETS TOT_ASSETS 46 51 51 6233 6228 6228 Over 100 fields. I need this data to be changed to run down a column. MKT_VAL 46 6233 NET_ASSETS 51 6228 TOT_ASSETS 51 6228 I tried to make a macro to do this. It would be run after I copied and pasted the three column cells into another area. Sub ShiftNullData() ' ' ShiftNullData Macro ' Macro recorded 11/14/2006 by Rodger Lepinsky ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+q ' Range("A18").S...

formula forming Q for Formula One :-D
I would like to make a chart, for example something like one for th standing of Formula One Season... which goes as below. if you finish 1st = 10pts, 2nd =6pts, 3rd=4pts, 4th=3pts, 5th=2pts 6th=1pt... I would like to apply this formula for, say, all 15 races of th season, to sum up the total points scored for each racers. I trie "IF", but there seem to be too many variations in this case and it i not working... how can I make this into a formula, does anyone have an idea?:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Put a table containing 1 10 2 6 3 4 ...

Excel Formula needed
12864 decreased by 3% for 19 years. I would like the decreasing value in the fist column and the difference in value in the second column. as an example: 12868.00 0000.00 12478.08 385.94 Thanks in advance In article <W74rn.10625$Ek4.7339@newsfe24.iad>, joemocasanto@aol.com says... > > 12864 decreased by 3% for 19 years. > > I would like the decreasing value in the fist column and the difference in > value in the second column. > > as an example: > > 12868.00 0000.00 > 12478.08 ...

ADFS basics
Hey all, I'm using (trying) to use ADFS to logon to my SAML 2.0 parter. In essence I would like to use AD as my source of truth. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with my logoff and trying to troubleshoot. One super basic question, the directory /adfs/ls which is used as my logoff URL (and logon URL) has a default document setup as default.aspx which does not exist. Question 1: How does pointing to the adfs/ls directory alert ADFS to which action I'd like to perform? It obviously works but I'm not sure how ADFS know whether to pop a logon screen or go...

Formula help #13
E2 = A VALUE IN DOLLARS I2 = A NUMBER IN PERCENT need formula to make F2 = number that would make F2+(F2*I2)= E2 EXAMPLE E2=$11.99 I2=40% THEN F2= 8.56428571428571 using goal seek Thanks -- Carl Brehm Lake Lafourche Bird House Hebert, LA Keets, Tiels, GN Lories, Quakers Mitred Conures, TAG's, Bourkes Cages --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.581 / Virus Database: 368 - Release Date: 02/09/2004 F2 is =E2/(1+I2) you might want to round that -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Carl Brehm" <cr...

Replace formulas with values
I'm trying to use vba to replace all formula references to a particular sheet with values. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance BW Hi copy the cells and insert the values with 'Edit - Paste Special - values' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "BW" <bwillingham@aegisadvisers.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:O55TMcvsEHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to use vba to replace all formula references to a particular > sheet with values. Can someone please point me in the right direction? > > Thanks ...

OFFSET Formula
I am working with an OFFSET formula that was provided to me to help move vertical data to horizontal data. In the original formula, =OFFSET($F$1,ROW()*6-6+COLUMN()-18,) , I was moving 6 sets of vertical data. Now I have 8 and the formula is not working. I am not sure how to manipulate the numbers. I am assuming the "*6-6 refers to the 6 sets of data and so I should change that to "*8-8", but I am not sure what the "-18" stands for. Where is the data that is being transposed, and where are the formulas? -- HTH Bob "Kiley" &...

Sorry
Hi guys, apologies for such a basic question. In my defence I'm not really a c++ programmer, and when I have dabbled, I've used MFC. I've got a call to an external DLL I'm using LoadLibrary to get. I've declared the call as : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(CString p1, CString p2, short* retVal, CString* retText) if I call it : short retVal; CString retText; iRet = MyFunc ("123456", "12345678", &retVal, &retText); - it works fine. Unfortunately this DLL is being called from a non-MFC app. So I;ve tried : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(char[] p1, char p2, short* ...

Printing a worksheet with and without formulas showing
In Excel 2007 I have a workbook finished and I want to print the worksheets with and without the formulas showing. When I set up the worksheet to print without the formulas and then print all is well, then when I hit CTRL+` to shoe the formulas, all of the column widths grow to about triple the original size and then messes up the printout. Yes I can then re-fit all the columns manually, but then when I go back to the page without the formulas now it is about 3 times smaller than it was originally. What I would like to be able to do/have happen is having the column width rema...

I need a formula
I need a formula that would allow me to copy one cell to another as well as remove the first three characters. example cel a - 12321232 would copy to cell be as - 21232 If anyone could help me that would be soo awesome Hi, Try one these =RIGHT(A1,5) If the lenght of your data is fluctuating then =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3) If you need them to return a number instead of text then tack *1 on the end of them. HTH Martin "RBD" <rdickiejr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bab5ed6a-ba7d-48e9-8cc0-ad7d05e7ac73@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com... >I need a formula that would allow me...

Help with a formula #4
I am new to Excel. Using Excel 2003. Need help with the following formula: Cell I43 =If(B40="no",SUM(E16+I16+M16*2)*22+(I43*B42)+(I43*B43)+(I43*B44) What I do know is that this is a circular reference. It is showing a value of 535. The value I hoped to see was 518 (I manually did the math). Here is the referenced cells and values: Cell E16=10 I16=10 M16=0 Cell B40=no B42=10% B43=0% B44=7.75% Is there another way to write this formula? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks -- Lynn Hi, Am sure there is a diff way to write the same formula. But assuming you want the...

MSP VBA Basic Help Needed!
I'm trying to add common text names from a Text Column in MSP-07. I'm using Rod Gill's book to learn VBA for Office and primarily MSP and have also emailed him specifically about whether or not MSP-07 is even capable of accomplishing the simple report I'm needing. Basically I have a column (Text26) with some specific verbage which will be standardized and used for several real schedules in our standard template with our company. The verbage is simply: * Early Delivery * Late Delivery * On-Time Delivery * Not Delivered The verbage is calculated as a formula...

Formula and macro
I'm creating a macro that will import a text file, then insert a column and then insert a formula in that new column. I only want the formul inserted in only the rows that have data in column a,b,c. Problem i that the import file will vary in sizes. One time it migh have 10, th another time it might have 100. I can't just do regular copy, becaus I'm also inserting subtotals (with summary at bottom) and the summarr appears below the last copied cell. SO if I was to copy the formul down to row 100, but there is only 10 rows of data in my import file the summary would appear 90 ro...

Huge �IF� formula help.
Here is what I need to be able to do. I have 9 columns of clients account numbers as the header. Each row is a trade that belongs to one of the 9 accounts. I need to have the 10th column have the account the trade is for written. So for example I think I want to do something like this: If G7 <>�� then make P7=�1P� Or If H7 <>�� then make P7=�2P� Or If I7 <> �� then make P7=�3P� And so on. Just don�t know how to do it. Thanks in advance, Ken -- sungen99 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sungen99's Profile: http://www.excelf...

Does anyone know how to create a formula to sum up time sheet hours?
I have a worksheet that has employees punch in times, punch out times and lunch out/in times. I am trying to create a formula that calculate the total amount of time worked. First I want to take time in subtract it by time out, then take th lunch do the same thing then finally take the first answer and subtrac it by the second answer. I'm trying to make an if statement and it' not working. The times are fomatted like 10:30 AM for ex -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Altie! With your IN-OUT IN-OUT in columns A, B, C, and D =(B1-A1)+(D1-C1) Format hh:mm If you wan...

Basics
I'm new to the DDK. I just d/l the WinDDK 7600.16385.1 and I'm trying to use the WinDbg. So I took the sample "tracedrv" (WINDDK\7600.16385.1\src\general\tracing\tracedrv), builded it and try to run tracectl.exe with the WinDbg, using "File->Open Executable" option. I set the Symbol File Path to tracectl.exe path, where "tracectl.pdb" is. I'm getting the message "*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. ", and can't see it in Source Mode. When I run the program, I don't see the trace messages of the driver (KdPrint...

Expanding Formula Bar
Hi, Wonder if anybody can tell me how to expand the formula bar to accomodate large formulas without blockink the vew of column headers... -- Domingo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Domingo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29891 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=495992 Unfortunately, this cannot be done. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Domingo" <Domingo.20maga_1135550100.675@excelforu...

Formula/worksheet error
I have a large spreadsheet that I am trying to modify a formula in. Whenever I make any change to the formula, rather than returning the result in the cell, it shows the actual formula. When I audit the formula it says that "the cell currently being evaluated contains a constant". Have I hit a limitation in the spreadsheet? Format the cell to something other than text, then re-enter your formula (select cell, F2, Enter) -- Best Regards, Luke M "Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE6E9A87-088E-4FBA-9466-5535419A5A4F@mic...

basic System Policy question
If I understand this correctly System Policies are really only useful in cases with multiple information stores (Enterprise version only) so that settings can be set for all of them in one central place. Can settings set in a System Policy be overridden at a lower level like an individual information store itself, or an individual user account? Or do System Policies rule no matter what, no overrides? System Policies are Enforced (No-Override) at Store level or Server level. However, individual user account settings can override Store level setting, including System Policies settings. ...

Formulas #12
Please help!!!! I'm trying to put a formula into one cell but it seems to be too long How can I expand the length of a cell?? Is it at least possible? If not how can I resolve the problem?? I can't put the fromula into one cell. PLEASE HELP ME AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com What is the formula you are trying to write, because some do hav restriction to length. If you are trying to make the size of the cell biger so you can see al of the code then inbetween the letters at the top place your mouse i should turn into a bold line clcik and hold ...

Basics
I am responsible for producing a yearly 180-page catalog for the company that I work for. In the past, we used a production house to lay out the pages and then send PDF's to our printer. We want to eliminate the production house and do everything in house - sending the PDF's ourselves to the printer. I know nothing about publisher 2003 and am having trouble finding any books (especially entry level) to help me learn the application. Any suggestions? Lots of help on the Microsoft web site, a good course in catalog creation Publisher Courses http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/traini...