average on rows

can we use average in rows even two rows at the time when number are not in
consequent collums meaning there is some spaces between them without having
to add each number manually in the function window.

--
XP home , Office 97

any or all responses are gratefully accepted and thank you for your time

Have you tried? Your description is confusing to me, but AVERAGE()
ignores blank cells and text...

In article <C2D622EE-D839-4469-9DA9-F264B074BB6B@microsoft.com>,
 justamailman <justamailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> can we use average in rows even two rows at the time when number are not in
> consequent collums meaning there is some spaces between them without having
> to add each number manually in the function window.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
12/12/2004 9:12:55 PM
sorry, let me try to explain a little more . Well i have some number in two
subsequent rows in different collums and i want an average of all but the
problem is that they are not in subsequent collum. average does not seem to
work when the number have an empty collum between them

x |  y |  empty | z | empty | x        |           |                |  average
y | x  |  z        | x  |  x       | empty |

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> Have you tried? Your description is confusing to me, but AVERAGE()
> ignores blank cells and text...
>
> In article <C2D622EE-D839-4469-9DA9-F264B074BB6B@microsoft.com>,
>  justamailman <justamailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > can we use average in rows even two rows at the time when number are not in
> > consequent collums meaning there is some spaces between them without having
> > to add each number manually in the function window.

If you used something like =AVERAGE(A1:H2) you should get the correct value
even when these are blank cell in the range. If the rows are not consecutive
you could use =AVERAGE(A1:H1, A5:H5) for example

best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"justamailman" <justamailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sorry, let me try to explain a little more . Well i have some number in
> two
> subsequent rows in different collums and i want an average of all but the
> problem is that they are not in subsequent collum. average does not seem
> work when the number have an empty collum between them
>
> x |  y |  empty | z | empty | x        |           |                |
> average
> y | x  |  z        | x  |  x       | empty |
>
> "JE McGimpsey" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried? Your description is confusing to me, but AVERAGE()
>> ignores blank cells and text...
>>
>> In article <C2D622EE-D839-4469-9DA9-F264B074BB6B@microsoft.com>,
>>  justamailman <justamailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > can we use average in rows even two rows at the time when number are
>> > not in
>> > consequent collums meaning there is some spaces between them without
>> > having
>> > to add each number manually in the function window.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/12/2004 9:48:19 PM
Hold down Ctrl key and left-click on each of the cells you wish to
average.......then Insert > Name > Define and type a RangeName for your new
Non-contiguious range, say "AverageRange"

then use  =AVERAGE(AverageRange)

This way, even if numbers get put in the empty cells later, it will not
affect your calculation.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"justamailman" <justamailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sorry, let me try to explain a little more . Well i have some number in
two
> subsequent rows in different collums and i want an average of all but the
> problem is that they are not in subsequent collum. average does not seem
> work when the number have an empty collum between them
>
> x |  y |  empty | z | empty | x        |           |                |
average
> y | x  |  z        | x  |  x       | empty |
>
> "JE McGimpsey" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried? Your description is confusing to me, but AVERAGE()
> > ignores blank cells and text...
> >
> > In article <C2D622EE-D839-4469-9DA9-F264B074BB6B@microsoft.com>,
> >  justamailman <justamailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > can we use average in rows even two rows at the time when number are
not in
> > > consequent collums meaning there is some spaces between them without
having
> > > to add each number manually in the function window.

0
croberts (1377)
12/12/2004 9:49:47 PM
true it does work, thanks