Automation #2

I have created five (5) grids within Excel consisting of correlations
comparing various commodities. Each correlation grid represents years
of data (i.e., 5yr, 10yr, 15yr, etc.).

Right now, I am manually checking each commodity across every grid to
see which other commodities are closely or loosely correlated. At the
same time, I check to see if these correlations are consistent across
all years of data. Once the correlation is manually validated, I type
the summary list into yet another worksheet.

Basically, here's an abbreviated example of what the grids look like:

	 AD 	BO	BP	C	CC	CD	CL	CON	CT
 AD 	100%	79%	47%	50%	63%	94%	12%	34%	49%
 BO 	79%	100%	17%	66%	79%	76%	53%	62%	74%
 BP 	47%	17%	100%	14%	19%	42%	43%	53%	29%
 C 	50%	66%	14%	100%	44%	37%	59%	52%	86%
 CC 	63%	79%	19%	44%	100%	55%	40%	38%	46%
 CD 	94%	76%	42%	37%	55%	100%	3%	38%	44%
 CL 	12%	53%	43%	59%	40%	3%	100%	69%	74%
 CON 	34%	62%	53%	52%	38%	38%	69%	100%	75%
 CT 	49%	74%	29%	86%	46%	44%	74%	75%	100%

Given I have about 50 commodities to compare over 5 separate time
frames, I really want to automate this task as the manual approach is
incredibly labor intensive and prone to error. I'd like the output of
this task automation to generate a simple list such as what follows:

	        Closely Correlated (80-100%)	Loosely Correlated (50-79%)
Commodity AD: 	BO, CD	                        C, CC, KC
Commodity BO: 	PN	                        CT, CON, CD, CC, C, AD
Etc.

I'm not sure if what I'm looking to accomplish is very straightforward
or if it may require some custom programming. Is there something built
into Excel which can help with this or might there be some add-ins or
tools which are available to help with this automation.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CB
0
cbrenner (4)

Hi!

In your closely correlated critera you have the range 80-
100% yet in the sample you have:

>Commodity AD: 	BO, CD

Where BO = 79. Is that just a typo?

Is it possible for any commodity to correlate to another
commodity (other than itself) at 100%?

Here's a general formula that will do what you want but
may need tweaked after all the fine details are worked out:

Assume the table is in the range A1:J10. In A12:A20 you
have the commodities listed.

A12 = AD

In B12 enter this array formula with the key combo of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER and copy across until you get #NUM!
errors. This is for your 80-100% correlation:

=INDEX($B$1:$J$1,SMALL(IF($B$2:$J$2>=0.8,IF
($B$2:$J$2<=1,COLUMN($A$1:$I$1))),COLUMN()-1))

The output will return this:

AD   CD

You can use the same formula with changes to the %
arguments and the COLUMN()-1 argument (depending on what
column the formula is in) for the loosely correlated
criteria.

Biff

	CON	CT
> AD 	100%	79%	47%	50%	63%	94%	12%
	34%	49%
> BO 	79%	100%	17%	66%	79%	76%	53%
	62%	74%
> BP 	47%	17%	100%	14%	19%	42%	43%
	53%	29%
> C 	50%	66%	14%	100%	44%	37%	59%
	52%	86%
> CC 	63%	79%	19%	44%	100%	55%	40%
	38%	46%
> CD 	94%	76%	42%	37%	55%	100%	3%
	38%	44%
> CL 	12%	53%	43%	59%	40%	3%
	100%	69%	74%
> CON 	34%	62%	53%	52%	38%	38%	69%
	100%	75%
> CT 	49%	74%	29%	86%	46%	44%	74%
	75%	100%

>Given I have about 50 commodities to compare over 5
separate time
>frames, I really want to automate this task as the manual
approach is
>incredibly labor intensive and prone to error. I'd like
the output of
>this task automation to generate a simple list such as
what follows:

>	        Closely Correlated (80-100%)	Loosely
Correlated (50-79%)
>Commodity AD: 	BO, CD	                        C, CC, KC
>Commodity BO: 	PN	                        CT, CON,
CD, CC, C, AD
>Etc.
>
>I'm not sure if what I'm looking to accomplish is very
straightforward
>or if it may require some custom programming. Is there
something built
>into Excel which can help with this or might there be
some add-ins or
>tools which are available to help with this automation.
>
>Any help or insight would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>CB
>.

0
biffinpitt (3171)
10/3/2004 7:09:32 AM
Hello Biff-

Thanks so much for your input. After a small bit of tweaking, your
formula worked like a charm.

BTW, the BO at 79% was a typo. It should have been loosely correlated
although it is borderline at 79.6%. There are some commodities that
converge very close to 100% but none that I know of that are exactly
100% except for a commodity pair which trades both 24hours and day
only on different exchanges (i.e., Australian Dollar (AD) day only vs.
AD 24 hours).

Now that I have the correlation multi-year table comparison automated,
I would like to automate each commodities multi-year correlation into
an overall correlation set.

What I have now is five sets of correlation rows/commodity
(representing the fives historical data sets) which look like the
following:

AD
======
1yr:	C	S	PN	SI	SM
5yr:	BO	BP	CD	DX	EU	GC	S	SF	SM
10yr:	DX	EU	GC	MP	SF	SI	W
15yr:	DX	TU	SP	MP
20yr:	CC	GC	MP
Overall: ???

I want to create a formula which simultaneously looks across the five
rows and provides one row (Overall) of the unique correlations for
each commodity. So, for example, in the above example, the Overall row
(minus the duplicates) for AD would look as follows:

AD Overall:  BO, BP, C, CC, CD, DX, EU, GC, MP, PN, S, SF, SI, SM, SP,
TU, W

I will probably apply a logical filter to the above where the symbol
will need to show up at least x times over the entire historical data
set for it to qualify as a solid correlation. (e.g., If DX appears in
5, 10 and 15 years but TU only appears once, DX would be considered a
strong correlation whereas TU would be weak.)

Thanks again,

Craig B.

"Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<2d2801c4a917$ee86a540$a401280a@phx.gbl>...
> Hi!
>
> In your closely correlated critera you have the range 80-
> 100% yet in the sample you have:
>
> >Commodity AD: 	BO, CD
>
> Where BO = 79. Is that just a typo?
>
> Is it possible for any commodity to correlate to another
> commodity (other than itself) at 100%?
>
> Here's a general formula that will do what you want but
> may need tweaked after all the fine details are worked out:
>
> Assume the table is in the range A1:J10. In A12:A20 you
> have the commodities listed.
>
> A12 = AD
>
> In B12 enter this array formula with the key combo of
> CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER and copy across until you get #NUM!
> errors. This is for your 80-100% correlation:
>
> =INDEX($B$1:$J$1,SMALL(IF($B$2:$J$2>=0.8,IF
> ($B$2:$J$2<=1,COLUMN($A$1:$I$1))),COLUMN()-1))
>
> The output will return this:
>
> AD   CD
>
> You can use the same formula with changes to the %
> arguments and the COLUMN()-1 argument (depending on what
> column the formula is in) for the loosely correlated
> criteria.
>
> Biff

0
cbrenner (4)
10/5/2004 5:30:54 AM
Hello Biff-

Thanks so much for your input. After a small bit of tweaking, your
formula worked like a charm.

BTW, the BO at 79% was a typo. It should have been loosely correlated
although it is borderline at 79.6%. There are some commodities that
converge very close to 100% but none that I know of that are exactly
100% except for a commodity pair which trades both 24hours and day only
on different exchanges (i.e., Australian Dollar (AD) day only vs. AD 24
hours).

Now that I have the correlation multi-year table comparison automated,
I would like to automate each commodities multi-year correlation into
an overall correlation set.

What I have now is five sets of correlation rows/commodity
(representing the fives historical data sets) which look like the
following:

Australian Dollar (AD) Correlations
==============================
1yr:	C	S	PN	SI	SM
5yr:	BO	BP	CD	DX	EU	GC	S	SF	SM
10yr:	DX	EU	GC	MP	SF	SI	W
15yr:	DX	TU	SP	MP
20yr:	CC	GC	MP
Overall: ???

I want to create a formula which simultaneously looks across the five
rows of historical data and provides one row (Overall) of the unique
correlations for each commodity. So, for example, in the above example,
the Overall row (minus the duplicates) for AD would look as follows:

AD Overall:  BO, BP, C, CC, CD, DX, EU, GC, MP, PN, S, SF, SI, SM, SP,
TU, W

I will probably apply a logical filter to the above where the symbol
will need to show up at least x times over the entire historical data
set for it to qualify as a solid correlation. (e.g., If DX appears in
5, 10 and 15 years but TU only appears once, DX would be considered a
strong correlation whereas TU would be weak.). So, in the end, the
overall row would be minimized to:
AD Overall:  DX, EU, GC, MP, SF, SI, SM

Thanks again,

Craig B.

0
cbrenner (4)
10/5/2004 6:15:11 AM
I need to copy various cells from an open worksheet into an anothe
worksheet which will be closed.  I want to copy all the various cell
into a single unused sequential row using various columns that wil
always remain constant from sheet to sheet.  The only thing that I wan
to change is the row on the second sheet.  I want to keep a log of th
data used (the various cells) on the first sheet in a single row on th
second sheet.

For example: C4, F4, C6, F6, and L1 of sheet one (a sales order) wil
go into second sheet in a single row.  The next time I enter new dat
(a new sales order) in the same fields of sheet one, I want the ne
data to go into next sequential single unused row of sheet two.   Shee
two is a log book (foramtted diferent from the sales order

--
Cacheton
Cachetona's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1501

Automation
Hello Everyone, Recently our IT group installed service pack 3 on our computers. I wrote some code in word that automatically attaches it self to an outlook email and sends it out. I'de like to disable two windows that i didn't get before they installed service pack 3 there are not titles so here is a description of the boxes: 1 - A program is trying to access email addresses you have store in outlook. do you want to allow this? then it asks for "allow access for" (1,5,10 minutes) 2 - then i get a similar one that just asks you if you're sure you want to send ...

Hide Rows #2
Hi, I've been working on this for a few hours and am finding this one to b a difficult one. How can I write a formula or some code that will hide rows based o values? Example: If in Row 1, cells F1 and J1 contained zero, then hide the whole row (This would need to be done for multiple rows i.e all rows where F an J columns contained zeros) Please help. Thank You -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can't do it with formulas, you need VBA code. This example will do it as the worksheet changes, not a macro to run to hide all rows at once: right-click the sheet...

FRx WebPort #2
Could someone please help me! I have set up an image with FRx and WebPort on it. I have finally gotten it to work but when I log into WebPort there is no Repository in there! Also I notice that the Administrator password, continues to be blank. Any thoughts? Thanks Debra ...

Splits #2
Hi Everyone, When splitting a transaction - say at walmart where you buy groceries and household supplies (different categories) how do most of you handle the sales tax. I don't care about tracking this for these type of purchases. Seems I remember from years past that there was a key combination that would distribute it among the other categories - is this still a feature? In any case how do most you handle it?\ Thanks for you help, Jim I vaguely recall there being a key combination for this, but I have no idea what it is. If you just enter the categorized items and it doesn't ...

CRM and Fax automation question
Hi, I'm looking for a good or better fax server that can be easily and seamlessly integrate with MS CRM 3.0 or 4.0. I'm thinking of RightFAX or GFIFax... or even if I install these fax server in my environment, do I still need to do programming and customizations, such as post callout when a new Fax activity is created? Please advise :) You immediate response is appreciated. "Benjamin Fallar III" <fallar@pldtdsl.net> wrote in message news:3484C69D-B193-4B48-86A4-A4529D9DE4C6@microsoft.com... > I'm thinking of RightFAX or GFIFax... or even if I install ...

Print area #2
I have many workbooks that have from 10 to 60 worksheets. All pages have the same set up in them. It's just that some data changes. I have a template set up and now want to set the print area for all the pages. When i select all sheets the print area menu greys out. How can I do this without setting it for each worksheet idividually? smarty, here is one way using a macro, will set the print area on all sheets in the workbook Sub Set_Print_Area() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.PageSetup.PrintArea = "$A$1:$C$25" '******Change to your range*...

Provisioning/Automation tools for Exchange??
I have been asked to find some tools possible of automoating mailbox moves to specific databases/storage groups based on the department of a user for instance. Let's say User1 is part of HR and has transferred to Marketing. All the HR mailboxes reside on SG1 DB1 and all Marketing reside on SG1 DB2. Is there any software anyone knows of that can read the department attribute from AD and then move the mailbox according to defined rules you put in place. Any and all help appreciated! Mike In a couple of situations, organizations I have worked in have talked about having something li...

auto complete #2
Does anyone know how to delete an email address in outlook 2002 that "pops up" when you type the persons last name? They are using outlook 2002 with Word as their email editor. When they open outlook and click in the TO: field, and start typing an internet email, outlook prompts with the auto complete feature, with two choices. One has the correct email and one does not. How can I delete one? The email address is not comming from contacts. thanks Ok, I figured out I can simply hit the delete key. I guess it was just too simple! -----Original Message----- >Does a...

=PROPER #2
Using Excel 2003. Have downloaded info and it was downloaded in all caps. Have tried to use the =PROPER formulat but it doesn't work. If I go to a separate cell in the spreadsheet referencing a specific cell it works. How can I change in one worksheet all caps to PROPER ? I don't understand why =PROPER wouldn't work! You can copy this code to your personal.xls file and run it Sub TextProper() Dim ttt As String Dim c As Object For Each c In Selection.Cells ttt = c.Value c.Formula = Application.Proper(ttt) Next End Sub Have a great day...

Address Lists #2
I upgraded to Exchange 2003 and removed the last exchange 5.5 from the site. But I'm still seeing all the old address book views. How do I get rid of them. Thanks for your help! ...

Word crashes or hangs constantly #2
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Hello, Just today, I started having severe problems with my Word program. It is constantly either crashing or hanging (not responding and I must kill it with Force Quit). I did not do any software upgrades or other changes that may have caused this problem. I read up a bit and realized I was way down in terms of recent upgrades, so I installed the latest and am running now at 10.1.9. This behavior has repeated on various (large) fies I have opened, so it isn't confined to just one doc file. I do not seem to be havi...

WinMail Could not be started 0x800C0155,2 error
error message is: Win Mail could not be started 0x800C0155,2 MSOE.DLL could not be initiated I am unable to open an email from websites (contact us or email link). I get the error msg above. It seems this started when updates to Vista were downloaded. Don't know which ones. It may also be related to Adobe Reader updates, since I seem to be having problems with opening a pdf files from websites. I get an error msg that relates to Adobe Reader (no problems opening pdf files I have saved in my computer). I cannot seem to find a fix anywhere for this. Some posts suggest ...

2 "Is it possible to do this in Excel97" questions?
Can you change the value of a cell from another cell? i.e. IF A1=3 then B2=4 else C2=3 also can you set up a temporary "variable" in a cell to make functions more streamlined. For example, I have the following function in my worksheet: =IF(AND(ISTEXT(A4),ISTEXT(D4),ISTEXT($E$1)),IF(VLOOKUP($E$1,CHOOSE($B$2,rn1mw,rn2mw,rn3mw,rn4mw,rn5mw,rn6mw,rn7mw,rn8mw,rn9mw,rn10mw,rn11mw,rn12mw), MATCH("Typ",rounds_heading,0),0)="W",1,IF(OR(VLOOKUP($E$1,CHOOSE(B2,rn1mw,rn2mw,rn3mw,rn4mw,rn5mw,rn6mw,rn7mw,rn8mw,rn9mw,rn10mw,rn11mw,rn12mw), MATCH("Typ",rounds_he...

Exchange Errors #2
Event ID 8331 MSExchangeAL Address List Sychronization The service threw an unexpected exception which was caught at f:\titanium\dsa\src\lra\abv_dg\lservagent.cpp(4511) My Application log is full of these errors 700 plus a day. Microsoft Web info says install SP1 for Exchange 2003 to fix. Been there done that--no bueno. Still have full event logs. Any suggestions--- help Please. That issue is supposed to be resolved by the SP1 update. I did find another case here where the problem was related to a failed registration of an object during install. A re-install of exchange resolved...

Is it Possible to Automate a Graph?
I have a sheet that has data in weekly fashion in the first and second rows. (Row 1, week: Row 2, data.) Is it possible to have a graph populate off of the information in rows 1 and 2 that automatically includes data for new weeks as they are entered in to the sheet? For example, I want to create a graph for weeks 1 through 3 now, and want the chart to automatically update if I add data for week 4. Row 1 Week 1 2 3 Data 12.5 17 18 Thanks for the assist! -Adam Use a defined name using the offset function for your series --...

DNS Reverse lookup #2
Hi, One help, please: - I have a domain test.local (W2k3) and in it a Exchange 2003 Std (machine mail.test.local); - I configured the users send email as @test.com; - My MX is pointed to Exchange Server; - I have a public IP from DSL service; - when I send an email the recipient use Reverse DNS lookup and the result is mail.test.local and not test.com How can I solve that problem? Thanks. Luiz Luiz wrote: > Hi, > > One help, please: > > - I have a domain test.local (W2k3) and in it a Exchange 2003 Std (machine > mail.test.local); > - I configured the users send e...

Way to automate adding pictures in a series in Excel?
I'm putting a column of pictures of people next to a column with their names. If I have the pictures together in a folder, with the photo file names numbered with the corresponding row numbers that the pictures go in, is there a way to record a macro so that (for instance) 28.jpg will go into the picture column in row #28, then 29.jpg will go into the picture column in row #29, etc. In other words, insert a whole series of pictures (filenames the same as their appropriate row numbers) in their correct places, by initiating one macro? If anyone has any idea of how that could be done, I wou...

Column Reference #2
Hi, On Row 3 - I have text from columns "B3:J3". I am constanly adding and clrearing the rightmost cell, so that the last column is J, P, K, ...etc. Is there any way to create a function in Cell A1 so that it will give me the letter of the rightmost column with text (whichever is nonempty). - (I am using this with the indirect function to do a vlookup) So if the text spans from column B to column AJ - then Cell A1 = AJ If text spans to column K, Cell A1= K Any help would be greatly appreciated. One way: =LEFT(ADDRESS(1,COUNTA(B3:IV3)+1,4,TRUE), 1+(COUNTA(B3:IV3)>25)...

Outlook 2002 error? #2
When I try to run outlook 2002 it will not start. I tried the "repair and detect" with out any luck. It wants to start in the safe mode but it will not start. I reinstalled Office Xp over the existing install.and still no luck. This only happens in one Windows XP user, with the other two users Outlook works OK. The error message I get is bellow if from the error report Windows wants to sent to Microsoft. AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 10.0.4024.0 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 10.0.2625.0 Offset: 006d3fe5 Any Help? Thanks "SlipKid" <*the_ox@bigfoot.com*> wro...

Problem in adding new menu item to existing menu in GP #2
I want to add new form in Tools->Setup->Sales->new form. I had created procedure in which i am using AddCommandToMenu function to add menu. Status = AddCommandToMenu(DYNAMICS, resourceid(form Command_Sales), resourceid(command CL_Sales_Setup of form Command_Sales), Seq, CMD_BUILTINCMD_DICTID, resourceid(form Command_IOP), resourceid(command Cmd_IOP of form Command_IOP), true, MENULOAD_TOTABLE); I create new cnk file for this. I open GP it include my code and when i open Tools->Setup->Sales-> then it will show me a separator only. Is it right way to add new menu item under...

RMS 2 demo
Does anyone have a RMS 2 demo, I have ordered it few weeks ago but still have not received it. If you have it can you upload it to my ftp or somewhere on web ? Thanks ...

Automating transfers, is this possible?
Hi All. I am using MM 2007 Premium and I'm using Advanced Bills. In "Help" it says .... "Make electronic transfers. Set up automated transfers between any accounts you track in Money" I have a set up an "xfer" from my checking to my savings (same bank) to occur once a month but Money doesn't actually do anything unless I manually go to "Bills Summary", check it and and click "Pay Online". This isn't what I would call an automated transfer. Is there any way to actually make this happen? Thanks, Richard ----== Posted via ...

VBA automating Word from PowerPoint 11-22-09
I have an add-in macro that exports PPT content to a new Word document for each PPT file in the same folder as the currently open PPT file. I've noticed that when the macro is finished, and I go to Word, Word seems "paralyzed" (I can't use any menu commands or close the doc). If I Alt+Tab back to PowerPoint, and then Alt+Tab back to Word, all is well. Is there something about automating Word from PowerPoint that needs to be "cleared" when the PowerPoint macro ends - some way to release PowerPoint's control over Word? I found http://www.pptfaq.com...

Uninstalling MSCRM 1.2 and Re-installing
Hi, I installed MSCRM 1.2 with the wrong Organization Name. So I need to uninstall and re-install. Does anybody have additional documentation for this? I plan to backup all databases, and export an xml configuration file. Is this all I need to backup before I do the uninstall? Thanks, Do Hello Do, here is the briefly description "How to uninstall MS CRM". But make sure that you have a complete Backup from all systems available. ---------- How can I uninstall the Microsoft CRM Server while leaving the data intact? Resolution The following procedure will retain your Mic...

Transfer inventory out #2
I Want to have the Retail Price printed on the transfer inventory out report. How can I do this? thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_014F_01C924B1.31DC9200 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0150_01C924B1.31DC9200" ------=_NextPart_001_0150_01C924B1.31DC9200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable faiz, Find one attached --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software Search this newsgroup -- http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w (Stolen from DRS) =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...