automatically close excel

is it possible to automatically close excel after no changes have been made
for a certain time?

thanks in advance

Patrick

Patrick,

From a previous post............
If you want, I can send you a workbook with the code.

John

<snip>
Upon opening the workbook, start a timer to detect activity.
Close Workbook after a certain time of inactivity.
Original code was found in Google from Tom Ogilvy.
Modified code per OP request to bring up a UserForm alerting the user
that their time had elapsed and if they chose to continue, the timer would
restart and they could continue working else the workbook would
automatically save and close.

In the workbook Events:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    StartTimer
End Sub
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target
As
Excel.Range)
' Check to see if the UserForm Timer is active.
' If it is, it has control, just exit this event without doing anything.
    If Timer2Active = True Then Exit Sub
    Application.OnTime BootTime, "CloseBook", , False
    StartTimer
End Sub

In a regular module:

Public BootTime As Date
Public Timer2Active As Boolean
Sub StartTimer()
' Start the Activity Timer
    BootTime = Now + TimeValue("00:00:10")
' If the Activity Timer runs for the specified time
' call the "CloseBook" sub
    Application.OnTime BootTime, "CloseBook"
End Sub
Sub CloseBook()
' At this point the main Timer has elapsed.
' Display and let the UserForm take charge.
    UserForm1.Show
End Sub
Sub ReallyCloseBook()
    If Timer2Active = False Then Exit Sub
    Unload UserForm1
    ThisWorkbook.Save
    ' Application.Quit
    ThisWorkbook.Close
End Sub

In a UserForm named UserForm1 with one CommandButton named
CommandButton1 (Caption on the CommandButton "Continue Working"):

Private Sub UserForm_Activate()
' Set the Timer2Active Flag to True.
' This stops the SheetSelectionFlag from processing it's code
' This UserForm now has control over what will be done next.
    Timer2Active = True
' Start a timer within this UserForm. If the allotted time elapses
' without pressing the CommandButton, call "ReallyCloseBook"
    Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), "ReallyCloseBook"
End Sub
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
' Set the Timer2Active flag to False in order that the
' SheetSelectionChange Event can monitor activity.
    Timer2Active = False
' Restart the Main timer again
    StartTimer
' Dispense with the UserForm
    Unload UserForm1
End Sub
<snip>

"Mermans Patrick" <patrick.mermans@skynet.be> wrote in message
> is it possible to automatically close excel after no changes have been
made
> for a certain time?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Patrick

0
jwilson (359)
1/17/2004 7:15:42 PM
thanks a lot

by the way , i kept looking around on google and found some usefull stuff
concerning the application.ontime event

Patrick

"John Wilson" <jwilson@optonline.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> ' This UserForm now has control over what will be done next.
>     Timer2Active = True
> ' Start a timer within this UserForm. If the allotted time elapses
> ' without pressing the CommandButton, call "ReallyCloseBook"
>     Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), "ReallyCloseBook"
> End Sub
> Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
> ' Set the Timer2Active flag to False in order that the
> ' SheetSelectionChange Event can monitor activity.
>     Timer2Active = False
> ' Restart the Main timer again
>     StartTimer
> ' Dispense with the UserForm
>     Unload UserForm1
> End Sub
> <snip>
>

> "Mermans Patrick" <patrick.mermans@skynet.be> wrote in message
> > is it possible to automatically close excel after no changes have been

for those interested, here is the URL

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm

Patrick

> [...]
> > ' This UserForm now has control over what will be done next.
> >     Timer2Active = True
> > ' Start a timer within this UserForm. If the allotted time elapses
> > ' without pressing the CommandButton, call "ReallyCloseBook"
> >     Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), "ReallyCloseBook"
> > End Sub
> > Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
> > ' Set the Timer2Active flag to False in order that the
> > ' SheetSelectionChange Event can monitor activity.
> >     Timer2Active = False
> > ' Restart the Main timer again
> >     StartTimer
> > ' Dispense with the UserForm
> >     Unload UserForm1
> > End Sub
> > <snip>
> >

> > "Mermans Patrick" <patrick.mermans@skynet.be> wrote in message
> > > is it possible to automatically close excel after no changes have been

Mermans

To assist in your google searching Ron de Bruin has a google search add-in
that is most useful and very easy to use.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:03:31 +0100, "Mermans Patrick"
> [...]

>> ' This UserForm now has control over what will be done next.
>>     Timer2Active = True
>> ' Start a timer within this UserForm. If the allotted time elapses
>> ' without pressing the CommandButton, call "ReallyCloseBook"
>>     Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), "ReallyCloseBook"
>> End Sub
>> Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
>> ' Set the Timer2Active flag to False in order that the
>> ' SheetSelectionChange Event can monitor activity.
>>     Timer2Active = False
>> ' Restart the Main timer again
>>     StartTimer
>> ' Dispense with the UserForm
>>     Unload UserForm1
>> End Sub
>> <snip>
>>

>> "Mermans Patrick" <patrick.mermans@skynet.be> wrote in message
>> > is it possible to automatically close excel after no changes have been

0
Gord

The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the rem
Hi, I have this problem of title. I am importing of 176.922 itens from Lead entity with external in the my application(Web Service). But, with 1% in the import, a equal error the title in my Internet Explore. A help for me? Thanks. This can be a problem when making a lot of web service calls. Try adding the registry values as suggested in the following article: http://blogs.msdn.com/dgorti/archive/2005/09/18/470766.aspx -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk "Henrique Drumond" wrote: > Hi, > > I have this problem of title....

EndNot Web plug-in prevents closing MS Word 2007
Hi, When I try to close MS Word2007 I get an EndNoteWeb error message "an unknown error occured" and after clicking the ok button, the Word stops responding and restarts the program. This means that the Word is always running in the computer. MS diagnostics does not detect any probelms in the Word. Any advice how to fix the problem? Thanks in advance Suokki Sorry, but you've been misdirected to the group for Word for Macintosh... You can find the Win Office groups here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx Good Luck |...

how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file
how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Press CTRL+Print Screen. Open a photo editing program and paste screencap into it. Then crop down to the area you want to show as a picture. "lylegalveston" wrote: > how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Take a screen print of the active application (alt + print screen) then edit it in a photo editor or get a program like Snagit (screen capture program), I use the latter myself and it's great Regards, Peo Sjoblom "lylegalveston" <lylegalveston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Changing Case In Excel
If you type in the wrong case in word, you can hit shift F3 and it changes the case (e.g. lower to caps etc). Is there any way to do this in Excel? If your text is in say, A1. At a different cell, say B1,you can use the following formula: 1) to change the string to upper case: =upper(cell reference) 2) to change the string to lower case: =lower(cell refernce) 3) to change the string to sentence case: =proper(cell reference) Then copy and paste value of B1 to remove the formula. Lynn >-----Original Message----- >If you type in the wrong case in word, you can hit shift >F3...

Excel
Hi, I would like to export / copy my check register from Money 2006 to Excel and would like to know if this can be done and if so, how? Thanks, Bob Two answers, both in the unofficial FAQ at http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=9. .. "Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EEB04BE-6961-4C88-AD5A-DE7CA71B70BD@microsoft.com... > Hi, I would like to export / copy my check register from Money 2006 to > Excel > and would like to know if this can be done and if so, how? Thanks, Bob On Sun, 13 May 2007 10:55:00 -0700, Boblink <Boblink@disc...

Places COM Add-in for Excel XP?
Ive installed the addin for excel 2000 on my version of excel 2002 (xp) and it doesn't work. Does anyone know if this addin is available for Excel 2002? Or of another addin which does the same thing? Thanks Adam With Excel 2002 you don't need the Places add-in. You can add folders via the Tools drop down in the Open dialog. And you can remove items by the popup menu when you right-click them. You can also change to "small icons" with the right-click menu. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Excel query #2
Convert a number into words On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:26:06 -0800, Dennis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Convert a number into words Here y'go: 7 = Seven. Or alternatively, this article may be of use to you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;140704& --------------------------------------------------------- Hank Scorpio scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.) * Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! * Hi Dennis, A couple of MS links for you to check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx...

Excel #11
Hello, I am trying to set up a duty log and I need to carry the total hours from one month to the following month. How do I set up another form for the consecutive months and how do I continue to carry the hours over to the following month? Hi Jack the answer depends on how your current sheet is set up now .. .however, to get you started to link between one sheet and the next 1) click where you want the answer (ie your second sheet, maybe in a column called "brought forward") 2) type an = 3) click where the information is coming from (ie your first sheet) 4) press enter If ...

2007 Excel Dif Paste Special
When I do a paste special into a Dif file from another excel file, I get an unfamiliar menu. I'm use to seeing a buttoned menu, but this is listing. Has anyone seen this before? You will generally see that menu when you have two workbooks open in separate instances of Excel. Close one down and open both workbooks in a single instance. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:56:01 -0800, andybo <andybo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I do a paste special into a Dif file from another excel file, I get an >unfamiliar menu. I'm use to s...

Automatic CC

Automatic axis format

problem with column charts and two Y axes in Excel 2003
I've used previous versions of Excel for column charts a fair bit, and it seems like something doesn't work in Excel 2003. I want to display two data series next to one another in a column chart, and each data series needs its own Y axis (they are on different scales). I can get the two series next to each other if they are both plotted against the same Y axis, but if I choose Format Data Series -> Axis -> Secondary Axis for the second data series, the two columns are on top of each other. I can't figure out how to change this, and I don't recall ever having this probl...

I need Excel Help
I have another question about my project that I don't understand, if anyone could help that would be awesome! consultants who work on a project also receive a bonus if the fees exceed estimates, otherwise the consultant received no bonus. Create one formula that calculates the bonus by referencing the appropriate bonus rate in the table given by the number of hours the consultant worked. Does this make sense to anyone? I really need help. Take a look at VLOOKUP in help. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "IHate...

Trouble exporting Report to Excel
How do you increase rows to output size? When exporting a 2000+ page report to Excel (97-2002 *xls), stops on page 412 with message stating: “There are too many rows to output, based on limitation specified by the output format or by Microsoft Access”. Using Access 2000 with Windows 2000 OS Excel has a hard-and-fast limit of 65536. When you export to Excel from a report, you usually get extraneous blank lines, so it's conceivable that you're hitting that limit. There's no way around it, other than to simply export the data (assuming less than 65536 rows) rather than the rep...

Excel File Opening Via Hyperlink
What do I need to do within an Excel document to have it open in print preview mode when the Intranet link to this file is clicked? Thank you. Put this one line Macro in the ThisWorkbook code area: Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200723 ...

Excel Type Rounding
Hello, Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know how to do it with Access standard Round() function. The same syntax produces an error with Access. Pls Help For example, I want 125,232 to be displayed as 125,000 and 125,832 to be displayed as 126,000 TIA Anand Anand - Try this: Round([AmountToRound]/1000,0)*1000 -- Daryl S "Anand" wrote: > Hello, > Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use > Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know ho...

Duplicate records in Excel
How do I highliht duplicate records in Excel? I created a data base in Excel, and discovered that there are duplicate tag numbers from the old paper work I'm pulling data off of. So I'm looking for a way to get Excel to find those duplicate records and highlight the rows they are in. Sheidsa, have a look here http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Sheidsa" <She...

Input locale changes to English only when a dialog box with IExplore control is closed
Hi, I found that the Input Locale changes to English only mode when a dialog box with IExplore control is closed. How can I prohibit this unexpected behavior? Please reply. Thanks in advance. Regards, Hyun-jik Bae ...