Automatic Hyperlinks in Excel

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn OFF the automatic hyperlinks in
Excel?

Basically, the cell is holding UNC paths (\\SERVERNAME\PATH1\PATH2 etc). We
don't want these to be links, just text entries.

It's easy within word (just a check box under auto-correct in the options)
but I can't seem to find the option within Excel.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Mike

0
fritm002 (3)

It was added in xl2002, but if I start my data entry with an apostrophe ('),
xl2002 won't convert it to a hyperlink, either.

But I think I'd just let xl make them.  And wipe them out later with a macro.
Select your range and run this:

Sub RemoveHyperLinks()
  selection.hyperlinks.delete
end sub

(Ctrl-A is one way of selecting all the cells on the worksheet).

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

   http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/nohyperlinks2.html

It refers to MacXL, but should translate fine to windows.

In article <3F5E606C.22CC3FBF@msn.com>,
 Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:

> It was added in xl2002, but if I start my data entry with an apostrophe ('),
> xl2002 won't convert it to a hyperlink, either.
>
> But I think I'd just let xl make them.  And wipe them out later with a macro.
> Select your range and run this:
>
> Sub RemoveHyperLinks()
>   selection.hyperlinks.delete
> end sub
>
> (Ctrl-A is one way of selecting all the cells on the worksheet).
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/9/2003 11:29:14 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try them both out.

"Mike Frith" <fritm002@leicester.gov.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to turn OFF the automatic hyperlinks in
> Excel?
>
> Basically, the cell is holding UNC paths (\\SERVERNAME\PATH1\PATH2 etc).
We
> don't want these to be links, just text entries.
>
> It's easy within word (just a check box under auto-correct in the options)
> but I can't seem to find the option within Excel.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

0
fritm002 (3)
9/10/2003 11:41:19 AM
If it is just a few cells, right click on the cell and
click remove hyperlink.
RJH

0
rjharris (5)
9/10/2003 6:41:17 PM
Just do this on one cell and you can then use Format Painter to copy its
format to the others.

Andy.

"RJH" <rjharris@csu.org> wrote in message
> If it is just a few cells, right click on the cell and
> click remove hyperlink.
> RJH

0
andy2763 (218)
9/12/2003 4:27:00 PM
Deactivate several hyperlinks at once:

Type the number 1 in a blank cell, and right-click the cell.

Click Copy on the shortcut menu.

While pressing CTRL, select each hyperlink you want to deactivate.

(To select a cell that has a hyperlink in it without jumping to the
hyperlink destination, click the cell and hold the mouse button until
the cursor becomes a cross , then release the mouse button.)

Click Paste Special on the Edit menu.

Under Operation, click Multiply and then click OK.

0
sdh1234 (3)
9/16/2003 1:13:52 AM
Hi Doug,
I knew there was a non macro way (though the macro is faster for me)
I was thinking it was the format painter but it definitely is not.

But you want to select your empty cell,  copy (ctrl+c) then
paste special, add

Using  a 1 and multiply puts a zero into the empty cells.

HTH,

"Doug" <sdh1234@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a0992f50.0309151713.39cefa8f@posting.google.com...
> Deactivate several hyperlinks at once:
>
> Type the number 1 in a blank cell, and right-click the cell.
>
> Click Copy on the shortcut menu.
>
> While pressing CTRL, select each hyperlink you want to deactivate.
>
> (To select a cell that has a hyperlink in it without jumping to the
> hyperlink destination, click the cell and hold the mouse button until
> the cursor becomes a cross , then release the mouse button.)
>
> Click Paste Special on the Edit menu.
>
> Under Operation, click Multiply and then click OK.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
9/17/2003 11:08:21 PM
David

My method is to copy a blank cell and use Paste/Special/Add.

Andy.

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi Doug,
> I knew there was a non macro way (though the macro is faster for me)
> I was thinking it was the format painter but it definitely is not.
>
> But you want to select your empty cell,  copy (ctrl+c) then
> paste special, add
>
> Using  a 1 and multiply puts a zero into the empty cells.
>

> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Doug" <sdh1234@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Deactivate several hyperlinks at once:
> >
> > Type the number 1 in a blank cell, and right-click the cell.
> >
> > Click Copy on the shortcut menu.
> >
> > While pressing CTRL, select each hyperlink you want to deactivate.
> >
> > (To select a cell that has a hyperlink in it without jumping to the
> > hyperlink destination, click the cell and hold the mouse button until
> > the cursor becomes a cross , then release the mouse button.)
> >
> > Click Paste Special on the Edit menu.
> >
> > Under Operation, click Multiply and then click OK.

0
andy2763 (218)

Hyperlink from Word 2007 to PowerPoint 2007
Hello, I have been at this for hours and hours and i still cant figure this out so any advice would be helpful. I am trying to create a hyperlink in Word 2007 (.docx) to a specific power point (.pptx) slide (slide 8 titled Award, to be exact). So i have the hyperlink created and i can get to the power point but it always opens the first slide. Here are the different hyperlinks i have used and they all open the first slide (assume the Word doc and the PPT are both on the desktop). * You cannot click the Bookmark button in the 'Edit Hyperlink' screen because it gives ...

how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file
how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Press CTRL+Print Screen. Open a photo editing program and paste screencap into it. Then crop down to the area you want to show as a picture. "lylegalveston" wrote: > how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Take a screen print of the active application (alt + print screen) then edit it in a photo editor or get a program like Snagit (screen capture program), I use the latter myself and it's great Regards, Peo Sjoblom "lylegalveston" <lylegalveston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Changing Case In Excel
If you type in the wrong case in word, you can hit shift F3 and it changes the case (e.g. lower to caps etc). Is there any way to do this in Excel? If your text is in say, A1. At a different cell, say B1,you can use the following formula: 1) to change the string to upper case: =upper(cell reference) 2) to change the string to lower case: =lower(cell refernce) 3) to change the string to sentence case: =proper(cell reference) Then copy and paste value of B1 to remove the formula. Lynn >-----Original Message----- >If you type in the wrong case in word, you can hit shift >F3...

Excel
Hi, I would like to export / copy my check register from Money 2006 to Excel and would like to know if this can be done and if so, how? Thanks, Bob Two answers, both in the unofficial FAQ at http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=9. .. "Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EEB04BE-6961-4C88-AD5A-DE7CA71B70BD@microsoft.com... > Hi, I would like to export / copy my check register from Money 2006 to > Excel > and would like to know if this can be done and if so, how? Thanks, Bob On Sun, 13 May 2007 10:55:00 -0700, Boblink <Boblink@disc...

Places COM Add-in for Excel XP?
Ive installed the addin for excel 2000 on my version of excel 2002 (xp) and it doesn't work. Does anyone know if this addin is available for Excel 2002? Or of another addin which does the same thing? Thanks Adam With Excel 2002 you don't need the Places add-in. You can add folders via the Tools drop down in the Open dialog. And you can remove items by the popup menu when you right-click them. You can also change to "small icons" with the right-click menu. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Excel query #2
Convert a number into words On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:26:06 -0800, Dennis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Convert a number into words Here y'go: 7 = Seven. Or alternatively, this article may be of use to you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;140704& --------------------------------------------------------- Hank Scorpio scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.) * Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! * Hi Dennis, A couple of MS links for you to check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx...

Excel #11
Hello, I am trying to set up a duty log and I need to carry the total hours from one month to the following month. How do I set up another form for the consecutive months and how do I continue to carry the hours over to the following month? Hi Jack the answer depends on how your current sheet is set up now .. .however, to get you started to link between one sheet and the next 1) click where you want the answer (ie your second sheet, maybe in a column called "brought forward") 2) type an = 3) click where the information is coming from (ie your first sheet) 4) press enter If ...

2007 Excel Dif Paste Special
When I do a paste special into a Dif file from another excel file, I get an unfamiliar menu. I'm use to seeing a buttoned menu, but this is listing. Has anyone seen this before? You will generally see that menu when you have two workbooks open in separate instances of Excel. Close one down and open both workbooks in a single instance. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:56:01 -0800, andybo <andybo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I do a paste special into a Dif file from another excel file, I get an >unfamiliar menu. I'm use to s...

Automatic CC

Automatic axis format

Excel File Opening Via Hyperlink
What do I need to do within an Excel document to have it open in print preview mode when the Intranet link to this file is clicked? Thank you. Put this one line Macro in the ThisWorkbook code area: Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200723 ...

Excel Type Rounding
Hello, Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know how to do it with Access standard Round() function. The same syntax produces an error with Access. Pls Help For example, I want 125,232 to be displayed as 125,000 and 125,832 to be displayed as 126,000 TIA Anand Anand - Try this: Round([AmountToRound]/1000,0)*1000 -- Daryl S "Anand" wrote: > Hello, > Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use > Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know ho...

Duplicate records in Excel
How do I highliht duplicate records in Excel? I created a data base in Excel, and discovered that there are duplicate tag numbers from the old paper work I'm pulling data off of. So I'm looking for a way to get Excel to find those duplicate records and highlight the rows they are in. Sheidsa, have a look here http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Sheidsa" <She...

problem with column charts and two Y axes in Excel 2003
I've used previous versions of Excel for column charts a fair bit, and it seems like something doesn't work in Excel 2003. I want to display two data series next to one another in a column chart, and each data series needs its own Y axis (they are on different scales). I can get the two series next to each other if they are both plotted against the same Y axis, but if I choose Format Data Series -> Axis -> Secondary Axis for the second data series, the two columns are on top of each other. I can't figure out how to change this, and I don't recall ever having this probl...

I need Excel Help
I have another question about my project that I don't understand, if anyone could help that would be awesome! consultants who work on a project also receive a bonus if the fees exceed estimates, otherwise the consultant received no bonus. Create one formula that calculates the bonus by referencing the appropriate bonus rate in the table given by the number of hours the consultant worked. Does this make sense to anyone? I really need help. Take a look at VLOOKUP in help. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "IHate...

Trouble exporting Report to Excel
How do you increase rows to output size? When exporting a 2000+ page report to Excel (97-2002 *xls), stops on page 412 with message stating: “There are too many rows to output, based on limitation specified by the output format or by Microsoft Access”. Using Access 2000 with Windows 2000 OS Excel has a hard-and-fast limit of 65536. When you export to Excel from a report, you usually get extraneous blank lines, so it's conceivable that you're hitting that limit. There's no way around it, other than to simply export the data (assuming less than 65536 rows) rather than the rep...

Excel "Not Enough Available Memory or disk space
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Hi, has anyone seen this message when trying to open an Excel File? "Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk space." This happens on any excel documents of any size and only a logout seems to clear this up. The users have plenty of RAM (4gigs) so that's not the issue and there's plenty of disk space as well. Any help appreciated! "tjbud@officeformac.com" wrote: > Hi, has anyone seen this message when trying to open an Exce...

Converting .123 file to Excel
Hi there, Please help. How to convert a .123 file to Excel 2000? Thank you. Cheers, Ming Hi Ming! If they are .123 files you need to use Lotus to open them and then save them as .wk4 files which can then be opened by Excel 2000 -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "Ming" <mewong2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:08ab01c3c575$ff5d5ca0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi there, > > Please help. How to convert a .123 file to Excel...