Automatic Colour of Cells in Excel

I use excel for a marksheet.  A level my students 1, 2, 3, 4.
When I put a "4", for example, I usually go to format and then colour the
cell blue.  I was wondering if there was a way that Excel automatically
changes the cell colour from "standard" to "blue" when I enter 4.  and then
for "3" I would get "green" etc.
I know about the format painter icon which saves time, but i was wondering
if there was a faster way ... thanks

0
SPAGS (2)

Good morning Spags

There is a quicker way, Conditional Formatting under the format menu.
Unfortunately, it can only hold three conditions, so you would have to
have colours set up for marks 1,2 and 3 and leave 4 as the blank white
colour.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932

You don't have to have the default as white, colour all the cells a colour,
and set the 3 conditions for other colours. Voila, 4 colours.

--

HTH

RP

"dominicb" <dominicb.1uru2b_1125731104.7756@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:dominicb.1uru2b_1125731104.7756@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Good morning Spags
>
> There is a quicker way, Conditional Formatting under the format menu.
> Unfortunately, it can only hold three conditions, so you would have to
> have colours set up for marks 1,2 and 3 and leave 4 as the blank white
> colour.
>
> HTH
>
> DominicB
>

> --
> dominicb
> dominicb's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401653

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
9/3/2005 8:51:21 AM
Thanks to both responses!  You saved me at least 5 minutes every time I
record marks!  I'm ready for the beginning of the school year!

Cheers!
Spags!
0
SPAGS (2)

Format Cells #9
Is there any way to prevent text from extending into adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) Hi use 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'word wrap' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KPK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:130ec01c4434e$26cd8610$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to prevent text from extending into > adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) We actually do not want the text to wrap, we just want it to truncate. Thanks, Kieran >-----Original Message----- >Hi >use &#...

Automatic CC

2007 Excel Dif Paste Special
When I do a paste special into a Dif file from another excel file, I get an unfamiliar menu. I'm use to seeing a buttoned menu, but this is listing. Has anyone seen this before? You will generally see that menu when you have two workbooks open in separate instances of Excel. Close one down and open both workbooks in a single instance. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:56:01 -0800, andybo <andybo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I do a paste special into a Dif file from another excel file, I get an >unfamiliar menu. I'm use to s...

Automatic axis format

problem with column charts and two Y axes in Excel 2003
I've used previous versions of Excel for column charts a fair bit, and it seems like something doesn't work in Excel 2003. I want to display two data series next to one another in a column chart, and each data series needs its own Y axis (they are on different scales). I can get the two series next to each other if they are both plotted against the same Y axis, but if I choose Format Data Series -> Axis -> Secondary Axis for the second data series, the two columns are on top of each other. I can't figure out how to change this, and I don't recall ever having this probl...

Trouble exporting Report to Excel
How do you increase rows to output size? When exporting a 2000+ page report to Excel (97-2002 *xls), stops on page 412 with message stating: “There are too many rows to output, based on limitation specified by the output format or by Microsoft Access”. Using Access 2000 with Windows 2000 OS Excel has a hard-and-fast limit of 65536. When you export to Excel from a report, you usually get extraneous blank lines, so it's conceivable that you're hitting that limit. There's no way around it, other than to simply export the data (assuming less than 65536 rows) rather than the rep...

I need Excel Help
I have another question about my project that I don't understand, if anyone could help that would be awesome! consultants who work on a project also receive a bonus if the fees exceed estimates, otherwise the consultant received no bonus. Create one formula that calculates the bonus by referencing the appropriate bonus rate in the table given by the number of hours the consultant worked. Does this make sense to anyone? I really need help. Take a look at VLOOKUP in help. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "IHate...

Find cell contents in range
Hi, i am really struggling to create a macro to carry out the following. ( i am quite new to this and presently using a book but things are explained fully!) lets say cell K12 = 2245 i have a range of A2:A50 containing a list between 2220 & 2270 i need my macro to look at the value of K12. Find that value in range, and make the cell with that value active so in my list between 2220 & 2270 is an activecell where the value is 2245 i hope this can be done and hope that someone can help me. Regards, Nigel With Worksheets(1).Range("A2:A50") Set cell = .Find(Range(&quo...

2003 & 2007 Differences in Locking Cells Syntax
The code below runs fine in Excel 2007, but 2003 does not like it. I`m not sure why. It gives me a runtime error and says it is unable to set the Locked property of the range class. I tried commenting out the first line (WS.Cells.Locked = False) and changing the second statement to" WS.Range(Cells(row,col),Cells(row,col)).Locked = True However, this did not help. Does anyone see what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Alan Sub DisableCellInput(WS As Worksheet, row As Long, col As Long) ' ' This subroutine locks and greys out the cell ' WS.Cells.Locked = ...

Duplicate records in Excel
How do I highliht duplicate records in Excel? I created a data base in Excel, and discovered that there are duplicate tag numbers from the old paper work I'm pulling data off of. So I'm looking for a way to get Excel to find those duplicate records and highlight the rows they are in. Sheidsa, have a look here http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Sheidsa" <She...

Excel Type Rounding
Hello, Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know how to do it with Access standard Round() function. The same syntax produces an error with Access. Pls Help For example, I want 125,232 to be displayed as 125,000 and 125,832 to be displayed as 126,000 TIA Anand Anand - Try this: Round([AmountToRound]/1000,0)*1000 -- Daryl S "Anand" wrote: > Hello, > Am using A2k. Want to round numbers to thousands. With Excel I use > Round(number, -3) for this. However, dont know ho...

Excel File Opening Via Hyperlink
What do I need to do within an Excel document to have it open in print preview mode when the Intranet link to this file is clicked? Thank you. Put this one line Macro in the ThisWorkbook code area: Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintPreview End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200723 ...

Access 2 Excel
I exported an annual worklist from an Access table to Excel. There is column for tasks, one for frequency (TD, D, TW, W, TM, M, Q, SA, A twice daily, daily, twice monthly, etc) and a column for each month. The month columns have the same coded data as the frequency colum depending on when the task is done. The problem is that I tried to make a pivot table to count how man tasks (by frequency type) are done each month. Excel is counting th empty cells as if they had data. Search and replace doesn't work. even tried replacing the blank data in Access with ~ and re-exportin it. Ex...

how to enter a value, and have it SUMMED with the existing cell co
An Excel cell contains, say= 4. How do you enter, say=2, and have the result = 6? (not COPYING and Paste As ...) ...

Cell color change referencing the date in designated cell
HI, How can I have fill color of cell change according to due date. In example, red overdue, green - on time, black complete. Thanks, K Use Conditional Formatting. You'll need to determine what is Overdue, On-time and Complete Read up on the help and come back for specific help Regards Trevor "Klonja" <plunti@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a18370dd.0401251510.2f990e0f@posting.google.com... > HI, > > How can I have fill color of cell change according to due date. In > example, red overdue, green - on time, black complete. > > Thanks, K Hi Cl...

Use a cell's value as row number for another cell in Excel
Excel XP: I'm trying to use the values in one row of cells (D1:F1) as the reference for the row value for a different series of cells (D2:F4). For example: Column A B C D E F Row 1 1000 30 170 1 2 3 2 1500 60 190 3 1200 20 175 I want to get the following cells to equal: D2=1000 (In other words: D2 = A1); D3=30 (In other words: F2 = B1); E2=1500 (In other words: E2 = A2); E3=60 (In other words: F2 = B2); F2=1200 (In other words: F2 = A3); F3=20 ...

Selecting cell with mouse
Hi, Excel 2000 I have a spreadsheet that allows me to move to cells locked or unlocked with the cursor but doesn't allow me to use the mouse. I'd thought that the range of what could be selected had been restricted using vba but this isn't the case, I've opened the file and disabled vba and still can't select the unlocked cells with the mouse. If I unprotect the worksheet, then all works as expected. I'm at a loss! Any pointed most welcome. Rob I've never seen excel allow you to select a cell with the arrow keys, but not the mouse. My first thought w...