Autofit Merged Cells? Can we do this?

I have a row that has merged column cells.  Even if I choose autofit, it
will not autofit.  Is tehre a way to do this?

If you search the group archives:

   http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel*

using "merge autofit" (without quotes) as search terms, you'll find
many posts on this topic, including links to a macro by Jim Rech
that may work for you.

In article <kenji4861.vwe00@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 kenji4861 <kenji4861.vwe00@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> I have a row that has merged column cells.  Even if I choose autofit, it
> will not autofit.  Is tehre a way to do this?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/26/2003 1:10:27 PM
Here's a macro written by Jim Rech:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

kenji4861 wrote:

> I have a row that has merged column cells.  Even if I choose autofit, it
> will not autofit.  Is tehre a way to do this?

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Wrap text and row autofit
Hello, If Wrap text is enabled for a cell, the row autofit function works properly. But if I merge 2 or more cells in a row, then autofit doesn't work. It sets itself to the height of 1 row even if the contents require more than 1 row's height. Pls help. Note: Excel 2003 version. thanks, GK GK Rows with Merged cells will not Autofit. Just one of many problems with merged cells. You need VBA code to do that. Here is code from Greg Wilson. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NewRwHt As Single Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single Dim c As Range, cc As ...

Can I speed up Money by...
I'm using Money 05. I read before that one of the reasons Money is slow is because of all the historical stock information. Is there a way to delete this history? Not the transaction history, but I the historical daily quote information? In microsoft.public.money, Brian wrote: >I'm using Money 05. I read before that one of the reasons Money is slow is >because of all the historical stock information. I think you may have read that is a reason for files being large. > Is there a way to delete >this history? Not the transaction history, but I the historical daily quo...

Enter every nth cell item
Hello, Using Excel 2003. I am looking for a formula that will grab every 4th item in a column and then paste it to a new column (or worksheet). For example, cells A1, A2, ... A20 contain first names. I want to grab every 4th name in the column and be copied to column D. Thanks for your help. -- sdm Hi in D1 enter =OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*4,0) and copy down -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sdm wrote: > Hello, > Using Excel 2003. I am looking for a formula that will grab every 4th > item in a column and then paste it to a new column (or worksheet). > For example, cells...

How do I hide formulas in Excel cells?
I have a worksheet with lots of different formulas. I need to have the complete sheet show the formulas and not the results. I did this before a few years ago but don't remember how. I am working on Excel 2000. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TOOLS / OPTIONS / FORMULAS HTH, Gary Brown "Rita" wrote: > I have a worksheet with lots of different formulas. I need to have the > complete sheet show the formulas and not the results. I did this before a > few years ago but don't remember how. I am working on Excel 2000. Any help > would be gr...

how to divide the number in one cell into multiple cells
I have a value (5000) in one Excel cell. I need to distribute it into equal values in 10 cells. Can any one please let me know how to do that Suppose you have 5000 in cell A1 and your target cells are B1:B10. Select B1:B10. Keeping the selection of 10 cells press = to enter a formula =A1/10 Instead of enter press Ctrl+Shift+Enter...Now try changing the value in A1 If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Ramya" wrote: > I have a value (5000) in one Excel cell. I need to distribute it into equal > values in 10 cells. Can any one ple...

Can't receive emails with empty body!?!
Since Outlook Express always crashed when trying to "break apart messages that are too large", I decided to set up Outlook 2000. But now, I have an even worst problem: I just DON'T RECEIVE emails that have an empty body!! I'm using my gMail account with Outlook (not that it really matters since it worked fine in Outlook Express!). What happens is, when I send myself an email with an empty body, it is sent, but I NEVER receive it! I can tell the message has been properly sent since I can read it from the web-based gMail, but for some reason, Outlook ignores it! I have no filt...

How do i merge two WLM?
I have WLM on my laptop and my desktop. I have a in network, why doesn't WLM only maintain one account. The mail on my laptop never transfers to my desk top, aren't they the same account? Bill Mc Define: "I have a in network". If both computers are using the same e-mail address, on both machines: Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Check: Leave a copy of messages on the server. On one machine only, check to Delete messages after X days to satisfy your allotted space you get from your server. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP...

Stop autofit 2007
Can someone please help. I have a master slide where the title is 20pt. When there is a 2 lined title powerpoint makes it 18pt. I need it to stay 20pt because I want the user to realize that it is way too much text and they must shorten the title. But why is it autofitting. I have: 1. gone to ppt options/autoformat/unchecked autofit for placeholders and body text 2. I have right clicked /format selected no autofit but yet it stills does it. Anyone know why. It's driving me crazy. I've been trying to make this work for 3 hours. Did you go to the relevant layout right cli...

if cell format
Hi, would some be kind enough to show me how to word an if then statemen for formating? Here is the question in regular people talk. if the cell A1 is bold return true in not then false thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you need VBA for this. Try the following user defined function: Public Function is_bold(rng As Range) As Boolean application.volatile is_bold = rng.Font.Bold End Function us this like =IS_BOLD(A1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, > > would some be kind enough to show me how to word an if then statement > fo...

After catalog merge where items are different heights...
It would be nice if I could get the text boxes to 'autoflow' or snap together when I resize textboxes. In other words, after a catalog merge, some descriptions are shorter than others. So, when I go to one of the short descriptions and shrink the height of its textbox, I am left with a big gap. Any way to have the following textboxes snap up to the bottom of the previous textbox? This would seem to be a serious shortcoming of Publisher. In HTML, for instance, DIVs stack on top of each other. The other option would be to allow the catalog merge to spew the entire formatted conte...

autofit does not autofit
I have a 2000 spreadsheet with merged cells in the column that I am entering text. I cut and paste text from another document into the cell and the rows do not autofit. I have the cell formatting to wrap text and there is no row height set. When I manually autofit the row, only one line of text will show. Here is an example of text that I am pasting: To Better Serve You DM > Quantity 1500, 2500, 5M > Flat size 8.5" x 12" > Folded 8.5" x 4 > 4/4 > Tri-fold > Stock Cougar White Card Stock 8 pt or 10 > Special Instructions: double perf on a 4" x ...

Can send emails but not receive them
Hi there Have just set up new Laptop with Windows 7. Have set up Windows Live Email with an acitv8me account. Can send emails no problems. Sent a test email to my hotmail account, which I received no worries. I replied to the email from my hotmail account but was not received in the Windows Live email. I sent a test email from the Windows Live email to itself. It sent no worries and I received it in my inbox no worries. So can't work out why I can send to my hotmail address but not receive emails from there. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank...

Can't delete file in Outlook express outbox
I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can' delete it -- PhoenixVP ----------------------------------------------------------------------- PhoenixVPC's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=468 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187101402 PhoenixVPC, you wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:46:14 -0500: > I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can't > delete it. Close Outlook Express and search for the file "Outbox.dbx" on your system. Delete it an restart OE. Best Regards Christian Goeller -...

How do I do multiple charts on the same page? Is there a merge fu
I have several charts to on students and want them to be on the same page. How do I do this? Also, is there a merge application within Excel that would enable me to merge names of students into the graphs without doing each one separately? Not sure if this what you are looking for but if you are referring to having multiple charts on the same worksheet, you can accomplish this by copying the original chart and pasting it into your "master" worksheet. Or you can simply create each chart on the same page. Set the data source of the chart to the data on the "other&q...

How do I link cells in spreadsheet so can see all linked in cell?
I have catalogued 850 documents in Excel. Some are reproductions of the original document. How do I associate, link, reference, indicate, or whatever the right term is to show all the reproductions when you are in a row. The unigue number is an assigned, 5-digit numeric arrayed number, ex. 00850. All I want ot do is show all the same documents and their unique assigned number when you open a cell. Thank you, Stevan Hi, Need more info - what documents, other sheets in the same workbook, other workbooks, Word documents, what? What do you mean "all I want to do is show all the s...

Can't view OWA internally
I am unable to view the OWA internally unless I VPN to someone then I can view it. Externally I can view it just fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. How are you attempting to access OWA internally? Are you typing http://servername/exchange, or are you typing a name that has been registered in external DNS? What do you mean when you say you VPN to someone and then view it? You shouldn't need to VPN to anything if you are attached to the same physical network that your Exchange server is on. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Kyle S" <KyleS@discussions.micr...

Why is mail merge not available?
I have newly installed Publisher 2003 and most of the mail merge commands are not available. How do I activate this feature? What commands are unavailable? Can you open the wizard? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MarkCJ" <MarkCJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13AB0160-5F4D-4481-BCB5-D3C9E45B363A@microsoft.com... >I have newly installed Publisher 2003 and most of the mail merge commands are > not available. How do I activate this feature? In the Tools/Mail and Catalog Merge ...

sum cells with numbers
This shouldn't be too diffacult but I can't seem to find the function that would allow me to sum the cells with numbers and then divide that by the number of blank cells. e.g. cells A1:A5, if A1 is 5, A2 is 10 and cells A3 through A5 are blank then the answer would be 5. 5+10/3=5 I tried isnumber and isblank but that doesn't work. Any ideas? What result do you want if all the cells contain numbers? Biff "mmcap" <mmcap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A310857-9441-4187-AF8C-2A27749BA62A@microsoft.com... > This shouldn't be too diffacu...

How can I delete rows from Pivot Tables in Excel 2000 as in 97
I was able to delete multiple unwanted rows from Excel 97 Pivot Tables. Now I find I can only delete rows individually by untagging them in Excel 2000 Pivot Table. This is far too time consuming... Does anyone have a faster Solution ...

when certain rows are hidden, can I also hide a combobox?
Hello, I have a code that hides certain rows in sheets 3 and 4. Is there a way to make 'Drop Down 3' and 'Drop Down 4' hidden when rows as per Case 2 are hidden? The code I have so far is below: Sub ComboBox1_Change() ' Combobox Value Is changed varData = Range("B27").Value2 ' unhide ranges On Error GoTo 100 Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheet3.Range("A58:A68").EntireRow.Hidden = False Sheet4.Range("A150:A185").EntireRow.Hidden = False Sheet3.Range("A35:A57, A26").EntireRow.Hidd...

Sorting Cells Across Worksheets
Hi Every Body, I am trying to do a spreadsheet for my church and appreciate any help. i have attached the spreadsheet! When I add a first or last name to the first sheet it appears on th following two sheets (using a formula (=T(Names!A2)). When I sort the first sheet by first or last names, the name columns o sheets two and three sort also, which is good. But, the other columns on sheets two and three don't sort with th names. I need all the columns in a row to move together when a sort i done on first or last name on the first page. All the info in columns C through M for a person...

Eliminating non-matching cells
How do I eliminate the cells in COL A whose contents do NOT match the contents of the cells in COL C. (Note: For the matching cells, I also need to know the contents of the cells in COL B). A B C 101170041-1 101180013-7 101170042-2 Y 101200001-7 101170043-3 101200004-0 101180013-7 A 101200005-1 101180014-8 Y 101200006-2 101180015-9 Y 101200007-3 101180016-0 C 101200008-4 101180017-1 C 101200009-5 101180018-2 C 101180020-3 Y 101180021-4 C 101180033-5 C 101190029-3...

Merged Cell Formatting
I have a workbook that is formatted so that when text expands past the border of the cell it wraps to the next line and the height of the cell is automatically adjusted. When I use the same formatting for a group of merged cells it does not automatically adjust the height of the cell. Is there anything that I can do to make it adjust the height like the unmerged cells? Thanks in advance. Joe Joseph Excel has a problem auto-fitting merged cells. You can resize manually or via Macro. Jim Rech has written code for this. http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsf...

MessageBox where you can copy the text
Hello! One of the most stupid things with MFC is that it isn't possible to mark and copy (to the clipboard) the text in a MessageBox! Is there someway to make a MessageBox do this? or is there a replacement control that I could use and that replaces all MessageBoxes in AfxMessageBox()?? // Anders Hej, Anders! To get selectable (and copyable) text in a messagebox, you need to replace the static containing the message with a read-only editbox. You can find several articles on creating your own messageboxes on www.codeproject.com (and at least one on www.codeguru.com), for example htt...

Merging three workbooks and worksheets into one and automatically sorting
Hi all, I am trying to merge three workbooks and worksheets into one and then have the data sorted automatically in the order of the workbook names. For example: I have three workbooks named ... Workbook1, Workbook2, Workbook3 with one worksheet in each named ... Sheet1. All three worksheets have column headings with some column headings being identical in all three worksheets and some columns being unique to each individual worksheet. I would like to merge all three workbooks and worksheets into one and sorted in the order of the workbook names. i.e. merge Workbook1 first, followed by Wor...