Autofill Column D based on input in Column C

Is it possible to create a spreadsheet where I type a Category Number in
Column C and the name of that category automatically shows in Column D?

Specifically, I have an inventory of books for our resource center.  When
the Inventory was created, it was determined that both the category number
and description should be included in every entry.  (I haven't worked with it
long enough to know how necessary this double-entry might be.)  But it sure
would be nice not to have to type even the beginning of the category names!

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

I'd use another sheet.

Put the numbers in column A and the names in column B.

Then you can use =vlookup() to return the name.

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site for instructions on how to do =vlookup().

After you read Debra's site, you can modify your formula to look more like:

=if(c2="","",if(iserror(yourvlookupformula),"Missing",yourvlookupformula))

--

Dave Peterson
0

Error message when retriving a string from my xml file in C#.net a
I created the following code in my C# program but it's giving me error message at run time of : XML.XPATH.XPATHEXCEPTION : Namespace Manager or XSLTContext needed. This query has a prefix, variable or user defined function. Can someone see what I'm doing wrong? Thanks, Alpha private XPathDocument unityMessages = new XPathDocument("UnityMessages.xml"); unityMsgNavigator = unityMessages.CreateNavigator(); string query = @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[@xml:lang=""fr""]"; XPathExpression queryM1 = unityMsgNavigator.Co...

restoring backup after reformatting c:
I wiped out my c: drive and reformatted it. I have reinstalled Money but it will not let me use the backup disks I created. It gives me an error message "My Money Backup d1.mbf is corrupded or not a Money backup file." I don't think it's corrupted - but it may be becasue I previously used the 99 version of Money and later upgraded to this version. When it looks for backup files, the file extensios it looks for do not seem to match ".mbf" Can anyone help??? Thank you! Have you tried double clicking on the backup file instead of trying to open it using Mon...

Custom Fields on CRM based reports
We have customised our copy of CRM and need to get the custom fields (CFSTestField for example) onto our Crystal Reports, but when using the CRM connection, it only seems to return the standard fields. Has anyone managed to get custom fields added to crystal reports without going to the database directly? In order for the custom fields to appear, you will need to verify the database from within Crystal Reports. After opening the report use the Verify Database option on the Database menu Good luck. ...

Sort whith 3 row column heading
I've searched the forum on sorting and can't find this problem. My shee in Excel 2002 has three rows of data that serve as column headings. need for others to be able to easily sort using the toolbar sort keys. When I do this, it doesn't recognize the column headings and sorts the too. If I choose the data range myself, it works - but the users nee a one touch simple method. Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Kathy, You need your column headings in one row. You can use Alt-Enter as you enter them to break into separate lines within the cell, or set ...

Prefill column
Below is a sample of the data I download to a spreadsheet. I need to write a macro to fill in the empty cells in column A with the data from the previous cell in the column with data. I know I didn't explain that well but in the example below, I need TF48 to fill in Col A for rows 3,4 & 5. Then T16A would fill in row 7 and T505 in row 9 and 10. I hope I've explained this sufficiently. Thanks in advance for your help. 1 A B C D 2 TF48 $100.00 ABC 20091116 3 $ 50.00 DTR 20091116 4 ...

Autofill Formulas
Hello. I have a workbook with 31 sheets of data. Each sheet is a form with a record of data. I would like extract the data into a list. For example, range A5 is the same field on each sheet, so I want to autofill a formula reference the same cell on different sheets. I suspect I need a macro for this, but wanted to make sure first. Can you autofill like this =Sheet1!$A$5, =Sheet2!$A$5, =Sheet3!$A$5? -- Thanks, Mike =INDIRECT("Sheet" & (ROW()) & "!A5") Entered in A1 of new sheet. Copy down to A31............will increment the Sheet numbe...

Serialization of a derived class to the same element as the base class
I have the following two classes' the second derived from the first. Each time 'myclass' is added it adds an element. The second class is the same in, except it includes more methods. What I want to be able to do is add the class element even if I use my 'wizclass'. public class myclass { {...} } public class wizclass : myclass{ {...} } Here is my serialization attribute, even if I cast 'wizclass' back to 'myclass' I still get an type exception. [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("class", Type=typeof(myclass))] public ArrayList Ent...

how to i control autofill
Hello, Suppose I enter a formula in cell B2 and I want this formula to autofill down to cell B55000. If I click and drag down to cell B55000, there are two problems: it takes too long to scroll all the way down to cell B55000, and by the time i actually get there the scroll speed is so fast that i usually pass the cell. Is there a way to autofill a formula so that I don't have to do it by manually dragging the formula down to cell B55000? Thanks, Joe -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Hi two options that i know of: 1) if there is data in column A down to A55000 (or co...

Monitoring disk space
Hi All, - What are the thresholds you use for monitoring disk space usage on Exchange servers for the following? 1) System Drive (where Windows OS resides) 2) Store volume (where EDB & STM reside) and 3) Transaction Log volumes - do you monitor %disk free space? if yes, what's the threshold for an alert? free space = less than 10%? - is your threshold an absolute value - less than XX Gigs (subjective)? - For transaction logs, do you monitor based on usage? Is your threshold based on free space required to accomodate logs for XX number of days - let's say 5 or 7 days (in case ...

counting Multiple answers in 1 cell + column
how do u count multiple values in the one cell and down the entire column? i want to count all magazines answers in column A1. i would like to get the answer (4) for magazines, (4) for tv, and (3) for radio. and it does not matter if the counting of the values, magazine,tv,radio, is answered in seperate cells. i tried the formula = COUNTIF(range, "value") but the formula doesnt not count the values if there are more than one value in the cell... see example below A1 A2 1 magazines, tv, radio 2 magazines 3 t...

Excel columns
Can you create a tab within cells? I have a chart that I need to manually tab either 4 or 6 times within the cells in order for the text to line up on my printout. I don't want the printing to start right at the edge of the chart lines. Is there an easier way to accomplish this? Excel isn't much of a word processor. If you're indenting the value in the cell, take a look at: Format|cells|Alignment Tab|Indent box. If it's between words in cell, I've always used the spacebar. And if I really, really want it to line up nicely, I use a "Courier New" font. It...

stripping out a list based on a smaller list
Hi All, would really appreciate help on this one. I have a very large list of text strings (50,000) and a small list o text strings (300). I want to highlight all cells in the large lis whose contents CONTAINS ANY of the strings in the small list. any ideas? CHEER ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way is to use Conditional Formatting on the long list with a formula = like =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(B1=3D$K$1:$K$3)) assuming the long list starts in B1 and ...

HP Recovery D., give more GBs?
I'm running XP Pro with SP3, 250 GBs I keep getting a pop-up window telling me I don't have enough back-up space. It claims to have 8.47 GB filled and 32 MB free space. But back-up folder only claims :171 MB (179,630,619 bytes) Removing 'all but most recent restore point' changes no numbers. Disc clean-up sez it would add 0 Tried Check Disk..'Automatically fix file system error', and also 'recover bad areas'.... This Changed used space to 7.55 GBs free space 970 MB Also defragged D I wouldn't mind giving it more, but how to do so, pleas...

arranging in one column to mirror data in another column
I'm being asked to create a "master spreadsheet" that includes information for over 500 school districts. I'm bringing together several different data sets into one sheet. I'm arranging data by hand, which is time consuming. How can I arrange data in one column to exactly match data in another column? That is, with two columns: Column 1 Column 2 -a function that will do the following- Column 2 School A School B School A School B ...

How to set a few columns on a worksheet which can be edited by ot
Is it possible to protect a worksheet for editing only by myself except for a few selected column's?? See Excel Help on your spreadsheet. Search Unlock specific areas of a protected worksheet You will prompted to enter a password so only you can change the locked cells but your colleagues can edit the unlocked cells. -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Helena" wrote: > Is it possible to protect a worksheet for editing only by myself except for a > few selected column's?? ...

relationship between columns
I'm trying to find a way to keep data in two columns matched. Say in Column A I have loan #'s and in column B I have dates. I'm trying to find a way to keep the entered data permanently "married" in relationship to each other. So if I sort column A descending, the dates will move with the proper number. I know this can be done if both columns are highlighted and column A is sorted, but if only A is selected, the dates in B will not change with the corresponding loan number. This would keep from making a really time consuming mistake. Is there a way to do this. Tha...

How do I insert hypens in existing column representing social sec.
I need to insert two hyphens in an existing column of numbers (represents social security numbers) in Excel, i.e. xxx-xx-xxxx. Is there a formual that will accomplish this? Yes, in US excel there is a ssn format under format>cells>number>special it looks like 000-00-0000 that assumes that your data are numbers and not text Regards, Peo Sjoblom "hard head" wrote: > I need to insert two hyphens in an existing column of numbers (represents > social security numbers) in Excel, i.e. xxx-xx-xxxx. Is there a formual that > will accomplish this? ...

If and LOOKUP
I want to lookup a value in a table, then return a value to a different column based on the result. For example: Sheet 1 has: col A ------ 1 2 3 4 Sheet 2 (LOOKUP table) has: col A col B ------ ------ 1 Apple 2 Banana 3 Carrot 4 Date I want to write a formula in sheet 1 that says: if the value in col A is 1, enter Apple in col B if the value in col A is 2, enter Banana in col C if the value in col A is 3, enter Carrot in col D if the value in col A is 4, enter Date in...

Autofill on addressing
Trying to set up Outlook on new PC as I had it on old one where e mail address is automatically offered when part of a name is inserted, but no luck in finding it. Trevor Appleton <trevor@weather.4dinternet.co.uk> wrote: > Trying to set up Outlook on new PC as I had it on old one where e mail > address is automatically offered when part of a name is inserted, but > no luck in finding it. What version of Outlook? For OL 2003, it's Tools>Options>E-mail Options>Advanced E-mail Options: Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields. -- Brian Tillman ...

Count items based on two criteria
Hi, can anyone help with this please I have a table that lists articles published over a month. I have two (relevant) columns: Column A (Pulications) The Age The Age Sydney Morning Herald The Age The Bulletin The Examiner (etc - the list runs for hundreds - each represents an article and a publication may appear more than once) Column B (Day of the week) [Btw originally the data for this was in date format, but I am just using the days of the week as text - because I want to count the days of the week] Saturday Saturday Wednesday Saturday Friday (etc - each represents the day of the week an...

Triple columns with line numbers
Hello all, I would like to have a document where I have three columns. One would have line numbers in increments of 25, the second would have Old English, and the third would have the modern translation. I've tried doing this with tables as suggested, but Word will not give me line numbers in the table. Any suggestions? With 4000 lines I really don't want to type them all! Thanks kindly. Perhaps you could create the three columns in Excel first. In the column with numbers (A1) put "1" in the first row and a formula in the second row of the column setting the...

Counting Cells in a column depending on another column but excluding duplicates
Hello, I would like to count the total in a column depending on another column, but exclude duplicates. I my case I would like to know how many employees (column A) have taken a course in 2010 (column B). Column A has duplicate names. Column B has 2009 and 2010 as the year the course was taken. I want to count 2009 and 2010 separately. I named the range of column A course_attendees and column B course_taken Name Course Year Wilbert Bugay 2009 Wilbert Bugay 2009 Zahid Gul 2009 Zin Minn Lwin 2009 Zin Minn Lwin ...

column (a)
When I change the style in column (a) a date it also changes column (b) which is hour format or style. -- Wayne Can you give the specific of the format uin column A then what you change it to and the format that changes in column B. "Wayne" wrote: > When I change the style in column (a) a date it also changes column (b) which > is hour format or style. > -- > Wayne Wayne Try de-selecting "Extend list formats and formulas" Tools>Options>Edit Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:19:01 -0800, "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.micro...

Pivot Autofilering Items
Dear All, I'd like to see only the valid items on the drop down list on the "Page Field" area . An example. Source Data: Model - Color - Full Optional - Qty FIAT BLU YES 10 OPEL GREEN NO 12 BMW RED NO 14 In the Page field I put the Model, Color and Full Optional field. When I filter the item FIAT on the field Model and then I want to filter the Color field, I'd like see only the color regarding the FIAT model (BLU), bu...

display main column on next page
I need to display my main colum A "Name" and main(heading) row 1 (different data) address, city, state, zip, entry 1, entry 2, entry 3, paid early, paid late, total $,) display these on continuous pages. So, when I see my list of names, on page 1, it shows name, address, city, state, zip, etnry 1. Then it goes to page 2. I want the main column "name" to be first column on that page, then entry 2, entry 3, paid early, etc.... This is hard to explain. I did this once, but I don't remember how i did it! If anyone thinks they may have an idea, that would be wo...