Auto Number

I have Excel 2000 and was wondering if antone could tell
me how to set up an auto number feature in column A...
any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Steve

"Steve",

Basically you need a macro. If you've never used one, start with Tools >>
Macro >> Record New Macro. The name should default to Macro1. Make sure
"Store Macro In" is set to "This Workbook" and click OK.

The Stop Recording toolbar should appear (if it doesn't, use View >>
Toolbars). Click the Stop button.

Press ALT+F8, highlight Macro1, click Edit.

Replace anything between the first and last lines with

Range("A1") = Range("A1") + 1

, so you end up with

Sub Macro1()
Range("A1") = Range("A1") + 1
End Sub

Then you can run it via ALT+F8.

The big question is when, ie: at what stage of your process? It could be set
up to run automatically when the file is opened, but that's not recommended.
If you're setting up an invoice-type-thing, it could make sense to run it
after printing (in which case you would probably use code to print, reset
the form, then change the number).

Post back if you need more info.

HTH,
Andy

0
andy.j.brown (443)

Name and number of sheets
Could someone please post the code that will count the number of sheets in a workbook and get each sheet name. I thought I could use the for statement after I got the number of sheets, but can't seem to get that number. Thank you Maybe something like: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wks As Worksheet MsgBox Sheets.Count MsgBox Worksheets.Count For Each wks In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets MsgBox wks.Name Next wks End Sub Worksheets.count may not equal sheets.count (if you have chart sheets for example). MB wrote: > > Could someone please po...

Safe Pay Confirmation Number
Is there anyway to remove the prompt for a confirmation number that Safe Pay displays after you hit the Upload button? I want it to save the last upload date and the results of the ME123504 table without having to enter that number. Thanks, ...

Outlook --> contacts --> FAX numbers
Does anyone know if / how I can limit which fields are displayed when I select a recipient to send a new email to? My default address book is my contacts list, and within that I have email addresses and FAX numbers (among other things) for the same contact. When I initiate a new email, and type a name (or pick on from the To: list) both the email address and the FAX number are listed as potential recipients, and a conflict is generated (Outlook doesn't know which recipient (FAX or email) I am trying to send to). If I say remove FAX number from list, it also deletes it from my ...

Round up or down to specific number
When I do the price, there are two step involve 1. I have to convert USD to Thai currency by multiplying with specific number. 2. When i got the Thai currency (which may have demicle) , I have to round up or down to these number i.e. it must end with 500, 700 or 900. 0-299 round down to 900 ex: 3250 round to 2900 300-599 round to 500 ex: 4365 round to 4500 if 5580 round to 5500 600-700 round to 700 ex: 8600 round to 8700 799-900 round to 900 ex: 4800 round to 4900 901-000 round to 900 ex: 3980 round to 3900 Your help is valuable as I must do this thousand time. Thank you very much ...

Payment Numbers on A/P Checks
Why, when running a batch of A/P Checks, are payment numbers skipped? For instance, we ran a small batch of about thirty checks today. All of the payment numbers were sequential until midway through the run and then one number was skipped. The check numbers were fine, but the payment numbers went from PMY0014101 to PMY0014103. On Dec 4, 11:36=A0pm, bjc <b...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Why, when running a batch of A/P Checks, are payment numbers skipped? =A0= For > instance, we ran a small batch of about thirty checks today. =A0All of th= e > payment ...

Internally assigned List or Tablename of Auto-Filter?
My Cell B4 is returning my Current Auto-Filter Criteria; In C4 I have: =SUMPRODUCT(($B$12:$B$190=B$4)*(SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET($A$12:$A$190,ROW($A$12:$A$ 190)-MIN(ROW($A$12:$A$190)),,1)))) If I add a new record to say Row 191 the above **IS NOT** Picking up the data in my cell C4, obviously. How can I make the above formula Dynamic (auto-expand to pick up all additions)? TIA, Hi easiest way: make the range large enough :-) =SUMPRODUCT(($B$12:$B$1900=B$4)*(SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET($A$12:$A$1900,ROW($A $12:$A$ 1900)-MIN(ROW($A$12:$A$1900)),,1)))) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JMay&...

unique record numbers
I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the primary key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be incremental. I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction (though I can get around access fair enough). Any help would be appreciated. On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:19:44 -0800, Rev David Bissas <Rev David Bissas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: The "DMax + 1" technique should work for you. Google or Bing for it. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not t...

Auto Insert Services Rendered into GP from SQL DB
We have a seperate SQL Server database where timesheets or items of work are captured when performed by someone in our organization. Currently a report is run against the SQL database and then someone manually enters in the transaction into GP. We want to automate this. Is there some program that mimics the manual entry whereby I can export the data from the SQL DB? ...

Numbers to Text #2
There was once a formula: =(SpellNumber(B1) Where is it? But more important: What is the easy way to convert a number in words? Other than English? There never was a formula called SpellNumber made available with Excel. However, you might be thinking of the SPELLNUMBER function that is available in the following download: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/num2wrds.zip It's in the "Accountants" section on page: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm It contains two methods to convert numbers to words and two cheque writing routines. The code is open a...

job numbers in subject line
I need a solution for having exchange enforce the usage of job numbers (or a predefined pattern) in the subject line of outbound messages. I need to ensure that all users are including a job number for proper tracking of correspondence, so I will need to system to ensure that the subject line contains xx-nnnn patterns. Nothing native to Exchange, other than an event sink, that could do that. You'll have to look for a 3rd party solution. Nue <tjabaut@misadvisors.com> wrote in message news:1151610728.617609.289230@x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com... >I need a solution for having e...

Results of query has to many numbers behind decimal
There is a table with 2 columns, one is a date field and the other a total field. I ran a query to group by date and sum by total which works fine but the result of the totals for each day gives me like 1324324.239084.... something like that, I would want the results to just be 1324324.23. I have tried round and nothing happens. What can I do? jac007 wrote: >There is a table with 2 columns, one is a date field and the other a total >field. I ran a query to group by date and sum by total which works fine but >the result of the totals for each day gives me like 1324324.239084...

Incrementing Cell Numbers
All: I have created an excel "Workorder" form for our employees to write in what machine they are working on, what parts they used, and how long they spent on the repair... The problem... I need to print out hundreds of these forms for the men to use, and each copy of the form needs to have an unique number. Is there a way to program a cell to automatically increment by 1 every time it is printed? Again, I need to print hundreds at a time, and I need them to automatically increment by 1. TIA, Lance Place this in ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel ...

Macro for detect palindromes and repeats in letters/numbers string
Dear all, I am looking to detect palindromes (sentence or number or other sequence of units that can be read the same way in either direction) and repeats (sequences of letters or numbers which are repeating atleast twice within a string) in some strings containing between 20-5000 letters. Has somebody any idea how could I perform that using an Excel macro? I would like that the string to be evaluated could be on cell "A1" and that the detected palindromes and repeats could be listed bellow A2 and C2, respectively; and that the number of times that they appear in the sentence coul...

XML & Decimal Numbers
Hi, A couple Q's , so I've come to the experts<g>. 1) I need a definitive answer to the following debate. I've got a couple developers who disagree on the following question. We've got an XML file of numerical data results where it could contain values such as: <RESULT>0.12345</RESULT> when created in English, but it could contain: <RESULT>0,12345</RESULT> when created in another language... such as German or French. One developer claims this should be perfrectly allowed, the other claims you can never use commas in XML files for content a...

Problem with auto-archive
I am trying to archive some messages forever. I right click on the folder's shortcut, then select properties, auto-archive and have the box "Clean out items older than..." unchecked. This seems to work for most folders, but not for my "Sent Items" folder. Any thoughts? Thanks, Peter ...

Auto Update of Data... help please
Hello, I am preparing a MIS for my comp. I have a problem here. I have a monthly sheet and a daily sheet. Daily sheet is upated on a daily basis. now on the first day, both daily and monthly will have same numbers. On the second day I want the monthly to be -- First day data + today's daily data.... Is that possible...... Plz help Yes, but without specifics, it's difficult to be sure the answer I give you will be a good one, but I'll try. Assume daily totals on the 'Daily Sheet' are in column B and there is one entry per day using rows 2 through 32...

Exch 5.5 services not auto-starting
None of my Exch 5.5 services on my Win2k server with start on boot up; I have to manually start each one. They are configured to use an Administrative login, although I have tried the SA as well in the past and that hasn't worked either. If someone could provide some insight, point me to some docs or a KB article, I'd be grateful. Thanks, Todd. I am using the Exchange server services account..... "Todd" <sliderxp21REMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vuccn69d8s9q3c@corp.supernews.com... > None of my Exch 5.5 services on my Win2k server with start on ...

Auto-Dialer Software for CRM 3.0
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6EC82.CACB9100 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Can anyone recommend some 3rd parties marketing auto-dialer software = that integrates Microsoft CRM 3.0 with a companies PBX system? For sales it would need to do out-bound dialing (priority) and for = customer service it would be great to pop-up the contact record of the = incomming call (secondary). Thanks. Alan ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6EC82.CACB9100 Content-Type: text/html; charset=&quo...

Delet serial number
I created 75k serail number by mistake.How i delet it. May I get full script ? -- Thank You Harjit SherGill /DBA Altaville Market 324 South Main st po box 370 Altaville CA 95221 Tel : 209-729-1410 vendaliajat@yahoo.com Hi Gill - backup first and if possible try after hours.... Run this first select * from serial where transactionentryid = 0 If that shows you the 75 thousand serial numbers you created by mistake delete them with delete from serial where transactionentryid = 0 If the first select query shows more than the 75 thousand serial numbers you created by mistake, you'll n...

Need help with Auto Correct problem
I am running Excel 2007. Every time I enter the word "cafe" it insists on putting an accent on the letter e (Café). I have tried everything I know to turn off auto correct (office buton/proofing) and I can't find where to turn it off! Thanks for your help in advance! José, Go to TOOLS --> AUTOCORRECT OPTIONS. Under the AutoCorrect tab, you have a box for substituing after you type. Look for the word Cafe in the list and remove it from there. -- Robert Author of RibbonX: Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon: LATEST INTERACTIVE TUTORIAL: http://www.msoffic...

OL2003 Auto inserts space before ? and !
Using Outlook 2003 with Word as the email editor, a space is being automatically inserted before question marks and exclamation points. This started recently and I don't know why. How do I disable this? Thanks, David David Lipetz wrote: > Using Outlook 2003 with Word as the email editor, a space is being > automatically inserted before question marks and exclamation points. This > started recently and I don't know why. How do I disable this? > > Thanks, > David > > You probably have it set to British English. Alias David Lipetz wrote: > Usin...

Auto numbering down
Hi I have Excel 2007. I have may spreadsheets each with many thousands of rows, I need to number each row in an inserted column. How do I do that automatically, dragging the fill handle takes so long. Thanks Daniel Daniel - One way is to put a formula in the column, copy/paste down, then copy/paste special | values the whole column. For example, if you want numbers in column A, enter "1" in cell A1, then enter "=A1+1" in cell A2 and hit ENTER. Click on cell A2 and copy. Select cell A3, use the scroll bar to move to the bottom of the sprea...

Web Query: Number convention
Hi, When I get external data from Web, noticed that the number format from Europe is different. For Example normally a number 1,300.35 is recognized in excel as one thousand three hundred. But European number format is 1.300,35. When I import this data into excel, excel doesn't recognize this is a number. How do I change this European format to a normal number format automatically? Say change 1.300,35 to excel recognized number format 1,300.35. Thanks for your help -Li Lei ...

how do I set up a excel spreadsheet to auto sort data in order
I have a spreadsheet linked to a count which will be changing as numbers are added in. I wish to have the source data automatically update the list and sort that list in descending order with names attached to the figures that are changing. ...

Lost Office Discs and Serial Number
Hey Fellow Office Users: My iBook hard drive crashed while on a trip to Europe and I lost all my data. The local Apple Store in Madrid recovered my Documents folder but not any of the Applications. They put in a new hard drive and now that I got home, the first thing I planned to do was install Office. The bad part is that I can't locate my Office installer CDs anywhere. Worse yet I have not logged in my serial number anywhere. Is there anything I can do? I always register my software so maybe there is a record of my purchase somewhere. Thanks, Juha Hi Juha, I'm afraid there...