Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8-
10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I
change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a
random number, usually 38209.  I would like to turn off
ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too
much.  How do I disable this frustrating feature?

thanks.

0
pjclark (1)

Hi Paul

When you enter "8-10" in a cell, that's not strictly a number but Excel
thinks you mean a date so converts it as such.

A date is a number and in your example the number 38209 represents August 10
2004 which is not a random number.

If you precede 8-10 with a (ignore inverted commas) " ' " then the so-called
number will be interpreted by Excel as text and will appear as you want but
this may have implications if you are trying to use that cell in some kind
of formula / calculation.

--
XL2002
Regards

William

willwest22@yahoo.com

"Paul Clark" <pjclark@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8-
| 10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I
| change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a
| random number, usually 38209.  I would like to turn off
| ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too
| much.  How do I disable this frustrating feature?
|
| thanks.

0
willwest22 (109)
8/9/2004 4:29:21 AM
If the numbers are refences only then try formatting them as text.

"Paul Clark" wrote:

> Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8-
> 10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I
> change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a
> random number, usually 38209.  I would like to turn off
> ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too
> much.  How do I disable this frustrating feature?
>
> thanks.

0
Pickle1 (3)

Auto Filter problem

Formatting Text in Network Diagram View
The text in the boxes of my Network Diagram view is cut off. I can't find a way to make the boxes larger or the font smaller. Does anybody know how to display a task's full text in a Network Diagram box? Thanks! Hi, Right Click, select Box Styles Click More Templates Select New Use Cell Layout to change cell width and Font to find a smaller one You cannot select 6 but when you type it it is accepted. HTH -- Jan De Messemaeker Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional +32 495 300 620 For availability check: http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf ...

Excel Query to Access Database Locks Users
We have one computer on our network of computer using Office 2007, the rest Office 2003. When the 2007 version is in a Excel query pulling from the network database it locks the database. Any way to solve that? ...

Case / Pack for Microsoft Point of Sale
I am forwarding feedback on behalf of a MA RMS & POS partner who said that they need Case / Pack functionality in Microsoft Point of Sale. They said they can't sell liquor stores without this capability. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://w...

Excel 2000 and Chinese
Hello, Does anyone know how to set up excel 2000 to be able to type in chinese? Word 2000 works fine but I can't seem to get excel 2000 to work Thanks Mark You need to have supporting code page in your Windows, also download the Chinese Input Tools from Microsoft ... MaChii "Mark S." <mslater_nospam@m-e-c.com> wrote in message news:eVrjPq5aFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hello, > Does anyone know how to set up excel 2000 to be able to type in > chinese? > Word 2000 works fine but I can't seem to get excel 2000 to work > > > ...

difficulty with conditional formatting
I have a spreadsheet that gets updated monthly and looks like the example below Jan Feb march April May June 21,000 23,500 22,224 22111 20,111 25,000 I've asked this question before and have gotten great tips but each month when refesh the pivot table it looses all the conditional formatting and I start over again. How do I get the pivot table to keep it's formatting when refresehd? The conditional formatting needed is if #'s go down for three consecutive months in a row they are highlighted in red. I need the first...

Microsoft CRM development blog
Hi all, following blog contains some information and notes on CRM 3.0 and 4.0 development and customization: http://devsturgeon.blogspot.com/ Regards, Dmitri ...

how do I format text as strikethrough in Publisher 2003?
I am copying over text from a WordPerfect document into Microsoft Publisher 2003. Text that has been formatted as "Strikethrough" in the WordPerfect document comes over as plain text with no strikethrough. I have even tried to just import the document which it looks like it does fairly well at, except that all text formatted as strikethrough is imported as plain text. I can possibly believe that Publisher does not have any way to format text in this way, but I have looked everywhere and cannot figure out how to format the text in this way. Can anyone help? You will have to ...

What exactly is microsoft excel used for?
I just need to know what excel is used for. Hi Babyboo Wow, what a question!!!! It is used for so many things, that books have been written about it. Spreadsheets, Databases, to manipulate data of all sorts, by using templates, as payroll packages, invoicing systems, creation of form letters, automating tasks, and and and and "Babyboo" wrote: > I just need to know what excel is used for. Babyboo wrote: > I just need to know what excel is used for. --------- Data manipulation... ...

Exporting Excel Charts in Separate Tabs
I have an excel file with different charts on each tab. The Excel file has at least 20 tabs and I would like to export them into Word as a separate sheet per tab for a reference guide. Is there a way to export from excel without having to cut and paste each tab? I am using MS Office 2003. ...

Auto-Editing

Auto-Calculate

Date Format turn to Year
Hi, I tried to convert the date to YEAR and then the year plus 25 Years later. =Year(A1) I'm getting the result 1900 instead of 1965. I tried to add 25 years later to 1990 from 1965. Your help would be much apprecated. Thanks What's in A1? Are you sure it's a real date? "learning_codes@hotmail.com" wrote: > > Hi, > > I tried to convert the date to YEAR and then the year plus 25 Years > later. > > =Year(A1) I'm getting the result 1900 instead of 1965. > > I tried to add 25 years later to 1990 from 1965. > > Your ...

auto copy self

Lost Format Painter in Outlook 2003
I have been everywhere, and the Format Painter toolbar which was there in Outlook, is gone. I've checked and clicked everything I can find for 2 days. Can anyone give me specific directions ? My version of Outlook, when I click about MS Outlook, shows SP1. My laptop is my only computer, and it is brand new, and uses WinXP. I've put in this question to help at the upper right of the Outlook screen in 10 different ways, and it simply doesn't have an answer to this question. I've been through this in the past, and someone else fixed it, so I do not know how to do it...

Auto correct or Auto complete

OWA auto login

Test number of decimal places in Currency format
How can I interrogate the system (Windows, I guess) to find out how many decimal places are specified in its Currency format? Alternatively, how can I test a number that's been entered to ensure that the user did not enter more decimal places than the Windows currency format permits (Access will store what's entered, but I want to reject what's been entered if it's not according to the Regional settings). Bob Randy Birch has code to give you details about the defined Locale Currency information at http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/locale/localecurrency.htm Note, though, th...

Turning off formatting when tracking changes
When we are tracking changes, then save the document, and open it later, the formatting shows up on the right side of the page. When I click on the Review tab and unclick the arrow beside Formatting under show Mark-up, it goes away. Then I save, and every time I open it, it's back again. I only want to track the changes in the document, not the formatting itself, but it seems as if this is a default and I can NOT get it to go away....I don't want to accept the changes until appropriate folks have reviewed it, but when I send them the document, they all complain about t...

question about data from excel to work
I am trying to take input from an excel sheet and mailmerge it to word....the thing is I want to make it so from here on out ..if I change something in the excel sheet it automatically updates on word as well..if not a mail merger what can I use ? -- Pooja Kamdar Hi Pooja Kamdar, You can link the Word document to the Excel workbook, so that any changes in the Excel workbook will be reflected in the Word document. To do this: 1. copy the source range in the Excel workbook 2. in the Word document, use Edit|Paste Special > Paste Link and choose the paste format you wan...

Auto look through subfolders

Linking worksheets in Excel
I would like to link 2 worksheets in Excel (if possible, 2 worksheets in different excel workbooks). I would like to link the sheets in such a manner that when any cells in the initial sheet are updated, the same cells in the 2nd sheet will also be updated. If a row is added to the initial worksheet, a row should be added in the same location in the 2nd spreadsheet. I would also like for the 2nd spreadsheet to contain extra columns that are not linked to the 1st sheet. In essense I am trying to link a requriements sheet to a testing traceability matrix. I would also like to "mirror&q...

Formatting Problem
I've created a blank booklet of x no. of pages with page size of h7.25" x w4.75" with 0.5" margins all around. I've been provided with material on floppies to incorporate into the booklet. The material is in the wrong font type and size and needs considerable change in other formatting. This I've done by opening the document into a WORD document of the same dimensions as stated above and tailoring the content to this WORD document. There are some centering, indents, right or left alignment. When I then try to insert this into the booklet in Publisher, s...