Auto Filter out text or blank rows

What would I put into an autofilter parameter to show only rows which begin
with text or are blank?

0
DHaferTFE (3)

Autofilter only works when there is data in continuous rows.  If you have an
entirely blank row, Autofilter will not work the way you want.   The way I've
gotten around this is to add a column and put in a row number or some other
data for ALL THE ROWS that I want to review.   I'll then use the autofilter
to find the cells that are blank.

"D Hafer - TFE" wrote:

> What would I put into an autofilter parameter to show only rows which begin
> with text or are blank?

0
BarbR (262)
6/30/2005 3:41:02 PM
Ah, that's if you leave excel to its own devices.

If you select the whole range, then excel will include the all-blank rows in
that autofilter range.

(One of the reasons I select my range before I apply data|Filter|Autofilter (and
Data|Sort and Data|pivottable and....)

--

Dave Peterson
0

You could use a column of helper cells with formulas like:

=OR(AND(CODE(UPPER(A2&"A"))<=90,CODE(UPPER(A2&"A"))>=65))

Then filter to show only the Trues.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Ah, that's if you leave excel to its own devices.
>
> If you select the whole range, then excel will include the all-blank rows in
> that autofilter range.
>
> (One of the reasons I select my range before I apply data|Filter|Autofilter (and
> Data|Sort and Data|pivottable and....)
>

> Barb R. wrote:
> >
> > Autofilter only works when there is data in continuous rows.  If you have an
> > entirely blank row, Autofilter will not work the way you want.   The way I've
> > gotten around this is to add a column and put in a row number or some other
> > data for ALL THE ROWS that I want to review.   I'll then use the autofilter
> > to find the cells that are blank.
> >
> > "D Hafer - TFE" wrote:
> >
> > > What would I put into an autofilter parameter to show only rows which begin
> > > with text or are blank?
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
BarbR (262)
6/30/2005 6:29:04 PM
Heres the deal, one of my suppliers emails me my order I've placed with them
over the phone.   The only file they can send to me which has my costs in it
is an Excel version of the order....designed to be printed just like thier
paper order...with headings (where column A is blank and accounts for about
20 rows of data) and categories (which always have text in column A).  I'm
attempting to create a complex macro which gets rid of all the junk (rows
with headings & categories) to get to a comma delimited text file for
importing into an inventory management database.

The total number of rows in any given order is variable, therefore, I'm
trying to set a macro to get rid of the junk and keep the important data.
Does this help?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Do you want to show the rows where the value
> in column A begins with a letter (or column A is empty)?
>
> You could use a column of helper cells with formulas like:
>
> =OR(AND(CODE(UPPER(A2&"A"))<=90,CODE(UPPER(A2&"A"))>=65))
>
> Then filter to show only the Trues.
>
> D Hafer - TFE wrote:
> >
> > What would I put into an autofilter parameter to show only rows which begin
> > with text or are blank?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
DHaferTFE (3)
6/30/2005 6:45:02 PM
So if there's anything in column A, you can delete that row?

If yes, convert column A to values--just in case it's a formula:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

    Dim myRng As Range

    Set myRng = Worksheets("sheet1").Range("a:a")

    With myRng
        .Value = .Value
        On Error Resume Next
        .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).EntireRow.Delete
        On Error GoTo 0
    End With

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> So if there's anything in column A, you can delete that row?
>
> If yes, convert column A to values--just in case it's a formula:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub testme()
>
>     Dim myRng As Range
>
>     Set myRng = Worksheets("sheet1").Range("a:a")
>
>     With myRng
>         .Value = .Value
>         On Error Resume Next
>         .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).EntireRow.Delete
>         On Error GoTo 0
>     End With
>
> End Sub
>

> D Hafer - TFE wrote:
> >
> > Heres the deal, one of my suppliers emails me my order I've placed with them
> > over the phone.   The only file they can send to me which has my costs in it
> > is an Excel version of the order....designed to be printed just like thier
> > paper order...with headings (where column A is blank and accounts for about
> > 20 rows of data) and categories (which always have text in column A).  I'm
> > attempting to create a complex macro which gets rid of all the junk (rows
> > with headings & categories) to get to a comma delimited text file for
> > importing into an inventory management database.
> >
> > The total number of rows in any given order is variable, therefore, I'm
> > trying to set a macro to get rid of the junk and keep the important data.
> > Does this help?
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Do you want to show the rows where the value
> > > in column A begins with a letter (or column A is empty)?
> > >
> > > You could use a column of helper cells with formulas like:
> > >
> > > =OR(AND(CODE(UPPER(A2&"A"))<=90,CODE(UPPER(A2&"A"))>=65))
> > >
> > > Then filter to show only the Trues.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
DHaferTFE (3)
7/1/2005 2:04:01 AM
How about this:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim iRow As Long
    Dim wks As Worksheet

    Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1")

    With wks
        FirstRow = 1
        LastRow = .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row

        For iRow = LastRow To FirstRow Step -1
            If IsEmpty(.Cells(iRow, "A")) _
             Or IsNumeric(.Cells(iRow, "A").Value) = False Then
                .Rows(iRow).Delete
            End If
        Next iRow
    End With

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

Auto Filter problem

custom report filter by customer & supplier
We would like to have the reporting capability to pull a customer list with name, address, email and phone number (where available of course) filtered on customers who have purchased Vera Bradley(Supplier) products in the past. We do use Vera Bradley as a department. The output would be, for example, 1000 customers out of 4000 in the total customer database have purchased a Vera Bradley product and thus show Vera Bradley in their detailed customer purchases. The report would give us just the subset of 1000 customers to use for target marketing purposes. The report would need to be...

rows in a report 03-09-10
I have a text box with a number in it. How would I make that many rows in a report based off the number in the text box? Thanks in advance!!! Does the "number" come from the report's record source? Is there only one record and one "number"? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "PJ" wrote: > I have a text box with a number in it. How would I make that many rows in a > report based off the number in the text box? > > Thanks in advance!!! It comes from the report's record source and it is the same number on all reco...

help with adding formatable text in bitmap file
I want to write a VC++ console application which opens existing bitmap image file, adds text to it and save it back to hard disk with different name.The text which is added should be a formatted text, for eg I should be able to select size,font, etc on the text. How can I do this? It has to be a windows program obviously. (It can be windowless, to make it appear to be console app). Anyway, you can load the bitmap and then user CRichEditCtrl::FormatRange to put RTF text on the bitmap. Here is a good example (By Henry Skoglund) on using FormatRange http://www.learnstar.com/AliR/RTFScaler3.zi...

Filter and Page Setup
Hi All, I have a question about filters and page headings for printing a filtered document. I basically need advice on the best way to accomplish the below listed task. I have set up a spreadsheet for logging transmittals received from different offices that my company has around the world. In this spreadsheet, I have numerous rows of information that we need to keep track of. I would like to place filters on SOME of the columns (not all of them). When I have the filter on, and I print out the document, I would like it to have a title that is relevant to the filter. For example, ...

how do I format text as strikethrough in Publisher 2003?
I am copying over text from a WordPerfect document into Microsoft Publisher 2003. Text that has been formatted as "Strikethrough" in the WordPerfect document comes over as plain text with no strikethrough. I have even tried to just import the document which it looks like it does fairly well at, except that all text formatted as strikethrough is imported as plain text. I can possibly believe that Publisher does not have any way to format text in this way, but I have looked everywhere and cannot figure out how to format the text in this way. Can anyone help? You will have to ...

Auto-Editing

Create a button to insert a new row.
I know Excel can do it; I just don't know how. In addition, once the new row is inserted, I need the formulas to carry into it. Any help is greatly appreciated! I can think of many possibilities, but I'm sure you are thinking of something very specific. Please give more information. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Sharon" wrote: > I know Excel can do it; I just don't know how. In addition, once the new row > is inserted, I need the formulas to carry into it. > &g...

Auto-Calculate

auto copy self

Prevent hyperlink text from printing
I have a hyperlink on the top of each page which jumps back to a slide towards the beginning of the presentation. The hyperlink looks like this: <<Return to "Speed" Summary>> I would like to prevent the hyperlink text from printing when someone prints the presentation. Ideas? PK, PPT 2003? If you are using a black and white printer you could choose View - Color and grayscale, and switch to grayscale. Modify the settings of the textbox with your hyperlink to not print by selecting the textbox and clicking on the settings button of the toolbar. Choos...

Text and autonum
Mr problem is basically generating autonumber with combination of text... For example J0001, J0002 When i open a form on JOB, it will automatically generate an autonumber for me and when i open a form on Loan it will generate autonumber starting with L0001 and so on.... May I know the way please.. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Thanks a lot...This is exactly what I want...thanks ya Maurice Maurice wrote: >You coul try setting a format on the field in the table like "L000" >When you enter some data in the table the autonumber will be presented to >y...

Frozen Text Boxes
I accidently dragged a text box from Spreadsheet A to Spreadsheet B. Now the text box on Spreadsheet B is not accessible. I cannot click on it, highlight it, or do anything to get the handles to turn on so I can delete it. It is just sitting there across 5 rows. I can type text in the box but that is all. What did I do and how do I delete it? Thanks, Greg Dear Greg Go to the <View> menu and select <Toolbars>. Select the <Control> toolbar. At the top of the toolbar you will hopefully have the design icon (Blue set square) depressed. Click on it to raise it (swi...

Auto correct or Auto complete

Problems with Inserting Rows
Morning Everyone In my previous version of Excel I could click on a row and then "Insert copied cells" anywhere on the sheet (as a new row). My problem is that with this version (2003 professional), when I try and re-insert the row, all the formulas have been converted to values. How do I switch back to inserting the row with formulas Many thanks in advanc Ja Inserting a row seems to work the same in Excel 2003 as in earlier versions, but maybe if you lay out the _precise_ steps to duplicate the problem someone can help you. In particular "re-insert the row" is unc...

OWA auto login

pasting text into a text box
For some reason I am unable to paste text into a chart text box, (with excel 2007). Is there a trick to this? Gary K. Five minutes with Excel 2007 show that there is no obvious way to paste copied text into the embedded text box. Aren't you glad you upgraded? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Gklass" <gmklass@ilstu.edu> wrote in message news:1180231963.336906.112430@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > For some reason I am unable to paste text into a chart ...

Auto look through subfolders

Count number of lines of text in a range/value.
To start, 1) Add a form w/ a textbox to your VBA project. 2) Set the textbox's AUTOSIZE property to False. 3) Set the textbox's MULTILINE property to False. In your code... 4) Call on the Form's SHOW method (modal or modeless is irrelevant). 5) Set the textbox's TEXT property to the (trimmed) value you are working with. 6) Set the textbox's AUTOSIZE property to True. 7) Set the textbox's MULTILINE property to True. 8) Save/get the textbox's LINECOUNT property. 9) Call on the form's HIDE method. btw, I assume no responsibility for the code. Use it at your own...

macro help = extract content of specific columns accross a row
have a spreadsheet which consists of about 5125 rows and 2840 columns. I am using Excel 2007 in order to get access to the extra columns. Now I need help creating a macro to automate a very tedius and manual task. The first column in the spreadsheet is empty. What I Need =========== For every row I would like to extract the contents of certain columns accross the row and copy to the first column of the row. into the first column i would like to copy the contents of the following columns accross the row. 6C = sixth column, 9C = 9th column etc... 6C + " " + 7C + " &...

How to justify text on the left AND right margins of same line?
I'm often doing programmes for concerts: the piece of music should be justified on the left, the composer on the right. I don't know how to do this in Word 07. Can anyone help? I'll be grateful for an answer to this! I assume that you are talking about the title of the piece and the composer. If that is correct, you should use an left aligned paragraph with right aligned tab stop at the position where you want the end of the composer's name to be located. Then you would type the title then press the tab key and type the name of the composer. Best to create a ...

Counting Records after filtering by feilds
I am working on a project that will create a report to count the number of open work orders (records that have their opendate field with in a date range given), close work orders (records that have their closeddate field with in the same date range given earlier) and pending work orders (records that do not have an entry in the closed date field). I don't know how to (a) prompt the user for a given date range, im thinking of maybe using a form interface? Is it possible for me to have a calander button to click to select a date from there? and (b) To count the what was previously describe...

An auto reply to an auto reply!