Auto change of Row number within Formulas

Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula which would do the following
Cell    Resul
A1
B1      1
A simple formula would be - sum(c(a1):c(b1)), where the result in this case would be the sum of cells c5:c10.
Many thanks, Gle

0
anonymous (74717)

Hi Glen,

Look at the INDIRECT() function in HELP

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"millarg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula
which would do the following.
> Cell    Result
> A1      5
> B1      10
> A simple formula would be - sum(c(a1):c(b1)), where the result in this
case would be the sum of cells c5:c10.
> Many thanks, Glen

0
nicolaus (2022)
11/29/2003 2:43:13 PM
Many thanks, it took a combination of indirect, address and many trials and countless errors, fianl working formula i

=COUNT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(L1924,7,1,1)):INDIRECT(ADDRESS(M1924,7,1,1))

Regards, Glen
0
anonymous (74717)
11/29/2003 7:26:08 PM
You could use something like

=COUNT(OFFSET($G$1,$L$1924-1,,$M$1924-$L$1924+1,))

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

> Many thanks, it took a combination of indirect, address and many trials
and countless errors, fianl working formula is

> =COUNT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(L1924,7,1,1)):INDIRECT(ADDRESS(M1924,7,1,1)))
>
> Regards, Glen

0
terre081 (3244)
11/29/2003 7:58:07 PM
Many thanks Peo, that works also, only problem is now I will spend the next 4 hours trying to work out why! :-),
0
anonymous (74717)
11/30/2003 8:36:05 PM
The reason I prefer to use this is that it only uses 2 function calls while
your formula uses 5.
I would assume it would slow down things a bit if the workbook becomes big
with lots of formulas. Here's a quick explanation compared to your formula.

You formula uses static column number 7

=COUNT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(L1924,7,1,1)):INDIRECT(ADDRESS(M1924,7,1,1)))

which is the same as column G (thus me using G1). If you want a dynamic
column index you could use
a cell where to put it or I would instead use A1 and then offset the number
of columns which I would if I
saw that you used a dynamic value for the column.. Now the row numbers start
is in L1924 and the end
in M1924 Assume for simplicity that you used 2 in L1924 and 10 in M1924,
that would mean that we
count the values in G2:G10..

Now my formula

=COUNT(OFFSET($G$1,$L$1924-1,,$M$1924-$L$1924+1,))

the first part is from which row to start. G1 is the cell we start from,
G1 offset by 2 rows would be G3, so you have to deduct 1 for offset to
get to row 2 (G2), if it would have started in 10 we would have deducted 1
since 1+10 is 11 while in your formula we start from row 0, thus the
subtraction.
Now we have the start row. And since M1924 in our simplified example holds
10
we count 9 rows (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

$M$1924-$L$1924+1  =10-2+1 which is  9, else my formula would have only
counted 8 rows..

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

> Many thanks Peo, that works also, only problem is now I will spend the
next 4 hours trying to work out why! :-),

0
terre081 (3244)

Auto Filter problem

My keying is changed ...
Hi, When I enter text into Outlook 2000 it shows different results. For example, if I enter dog it may show ket. Every character is changed. If I close Outlook and reopen Outlook everything is working fine for a while then it starts up again. Today, a person who sends me email and I send email to has the same problem. Did a virus cause this? If so, how do I get rid of the problem. Also, how did this happen if I have antivirus protection and a firewall? Thank you for your help. On 12 Apr 2005 15:57:02 -0700, lanalewis@yahoo.com wrote: >Hi, >When I enter text into Outlook 2000 i...

Auto-Editing

How do I change the "Project Type" in "law Firm Financial Analys..
he "Lawfirm Financial Analysis Worksheet" currently has only attorney related "Projects Types," e.g., bankruptcy, forming corporations, amublence chasing. I'd like to modify the worksheet so it would fit other professions, i.e., engineering, consulting, and the like. Are these worksheets, including the law firm financial analysis worksheet, modifyable? If you download the worksheet: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/templates/TC011406201033.aspx you should be able to modify it. Clear the existing project types, and replace them with the ones you need. seanac...

Create a button to insert a new row.
I know Excel can do it; I just don't know how. In addition, once the new row is inserted, I need the formulas to carry into it. Any help is greatly appreciated! I can think of many possibilities, but I'm sure you are thinking of something very specific. Please give more information. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Sharon" wrote: > I know Excel can do it; I just don't know how. In addition, once the new row > is inserted, I need the formulas to carry into it. > &g...

Placing a mask within a cell
Howdy All, Here is what I am trying to do. I have a column with numbers in it. 1,2,3,etc. I want to prefix these numbers with Page.. and have the results look this this: "Page..1" "Page..2" With the quotation marks included. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, Brian One way: Format/Cell/Number/Custom \""Page..."0\" In article <uEaiQGMeFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote: > Howdy All, > > Here is what I am trying to do. > > I have a column with numbers in it. 1,2,3,e...

Auto-Calculate

Outlook 2007 Changed the Way Assigned Tasks are Updated?
We assign tasks. In OL 2003, when a task owner changes something in an assigned task, such as the due date, an email which updates the task is sent to the assignor. The assignor then has to double click the email which then changes the task in their folder to match the task in the asignee's folder. It appears that in OL 2007, it all works the same, EXCEPT, the updating email that comes into the assignor's inbox is processed automatically: the task is updated and the updating email dissappears. I like to see those update emails and double click on them to stay aware of changes. Doe...

auto copy self

Excel changes my formula when I add values!
Hi, I was using excel97 but I've just changed to 2000 and I've go problems using a sheet I've been using on 97 for months. I have the formula: J10=SUM(B10:H10)-(I10+P10) or: J10=SUM(B10:H10)-I10-P10 I've tried them both just to see if it made any difference. What happens is that when I enter a value in I10 the J10 square flashe black and excel changes the H10 in my formula to I10, so the formul now reads: J10=SUM(B10:I10)-(I10+P10) which completely negates th I10 value! I have no idea what gives it the idea that it can change my formula fo...

Outlook 2003 Font Size Changes FONT size=+0 in HTML Code
I have a user who has random parts of some of his emails go up in font size (10-12) for a paragraph or so and then back to normal. I cannot find the cause but notice in the HTML of the email each section of problem text has <FONT size=+0> somewhere in it. The only solution I could find was to create a Blank stationery for him to use but that doesn't seem to have resolved this problem. If any one has any information on this I would be really grateful. Cheers Dave In received messages or when composing? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Config...

Changing Calendar Alarm Sound
Recently, a hard drive failure forced reinstalling Office, including Outlook. Previusly, I had set up Outlook to use a custom sound for alerting me to calendar events by simply renaming my custom sound to the default sound name - I've foprgotten what that is. When I reinstalled Office, it seemed that both the mail notification and the calendar alert default sounds were the same. This isn't convenient. How can I set them up to be different, and in fact, to use my custom sound as my appointment alert? Thanks Optiker You can set a WAV here: Tools menu > Options > Other > ...

Auto correct or Auto complete

Column reference got changed
Column references in my excel sheets which which usually show as A B C D ....... are now showing 1 2 3 4 5 Please help willy wrote: >Column references in my excel sheets which which usually show as A B C D >...... are now showing 1 2 3 4 5 >Please help Tools | Options, General tab. Untick R1C1 reference style. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Goto <Tools><Options><Settings> and untick <R1C1 reference style>. Regards. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions "willy" <willy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB0C70...

Outlook changes screen resolution
When I start Outlook 2003 my screen resolution changes to 640X480 on a pc that was upgraded from win98 to XP PRO, any ideas ? Upgrade your videocard driver and try again. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the address ...

display number as number name
I want to get the number name of the corresponding number i enter. Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html "Kamala Kannan" wrote: > I want to get the number name of the corresponding number i enter. ...

Problems with Inserting Rows
Morning Everyone In my previous version of Excel I could click on a row and then "Insert copied cells" anywhere on the sheet (as a new row). My problem is that with this version (2003 professional), when I try and re-insert the row, all the formulas have been converted to values. How do I switch back to inserting the row with formulas Many thanks in advanc Ja Inserting a row seems to work the same in Excel 2003 as in earlier versions, but maybe if you lay out the _precise_ steps to duplicate the problem someone can help you. In particular "re-insert the row" is unc...

OWA auto login

unsaved changes
Hey all, I was just curious does anyone know if you can recover an unsaved data, i made changes to an excel worksheet and I accidently exited out without saving the changes, can i recover all that data, it took me an hour to do? If you exited XL normally, you're out of luck. In article <BC3B2D1C-31C6-479A-A53D-1DF8190F67A2@microsoft.com>, accidentalprone <accidentalprone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hey all, > > I was just curious does anyone know if you can recover an unsaved data, i > made changes to an excel worksheet and I accidently exited out...

Changing autodelete in Outlook #2
Outlook is deleting mail from my Inbox after 3 weeks and I can't seem to find the place to configure it not to ever delete mail (read or unread). Does anyone know where this is? Thanks. Check your auto archive settings, your View settings, and your Rules. FYI, you should not store files in your Inbox. Make some subfolders or other folders to move incoming mail you need to save. "JK" wrote: > Outlook is deleting mail from my Inbox after 3 weeks and I can't seem to find > the place to configure it not to ever delete mail (read or unread). Does > anyone know w...

Auto look through subfolders

Count number of lines of text in a range/value.
To start, 1) Add a form w/ a textbox to your VBA project. 2) Set the textbox's AUTOSIZE property to False. 3) Set the textbox's MULTILINE property to False. In your code... 4) Call on the Form's SHOW method (modal or modeless is irrelevant). 5) Set the textbox's TEXT property to the (trimmed) value you are working with. 6) Set the textbox's AUTOSIZE property to True. 7) Set the textbox's MULTILINE property to True. 8) Save/get the textbox's LINECOUNT property. 9) Call on the form's HIDE method. btw, I assume no responsibility for the code. Use it at your own...

Turning off formatting when tracking changes
When we are tracking changes, then save the document, and open it later, the formatting shows up on the right side of the page. When I click on the Review tab and unclick the arrow beside Formatting under show Mark-up, it goes away. Then I save, and every time I open it, it's back again. I only want to track the changes in the document, not the formatting itself, but it seems as if this is a default and I can NOT get it to go away....I don't want to accept the changes until appropriate folks have reviewed it, but when I send them the document, they all complain about t...