Assign number value to a field with text in it?

Is this possible to do?

I want a cell to have a number assigned to it, but display text in the
cell, so I can use the cell in a mathmatical formula.

I'm using Excel 2003 to track how many seats I have left in each
conference room. I want the name of a room to equal a number.
For example: I want the text "Executive Room A" to equal 105

Does anyone know a way to do this with out putting them in different
fields.

-Sharon

---

You may want to use Help to learn about VLOOKUP.
You can make a table on say Sheet2 with the room names and seating capacity.
The in Sheet I you can use the name in say A1 to lookup the seating
capacity. Suppose B1 has the expected number of people, In C1 use something
like  IF(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B25,2,FALSE)<B1,"Too few seats","OK")
Bernard

"sleland >" <<sleland.zo3v2@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is this possible to do?
>
> I want a cell to have a number assigned to it, but display text in the
> cell, so I can use the cell in a mathmatical formula.
>
> I'm using Excel 2003 to track how many seats I have left in each
> conference room. I want the name of a room to equal a number.
> For example: I want the text "Executive Room A" to equal 105
>
> Does anyone know a way to do this with out putting them in different
> fields.
>
> -Sharon
>

> ---

bliengme1 (122)
1/7/2004 3:35:41 PM
"sleland >" <<sleland.zo3v2@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is this possible to do?
>
> I want a cell to have a number assigned to it, but display text in the
> cell, so I can use the cell in a mathmatical formula.
>
> I'm using Excel 2003 to track how many seats I have left in each
> conference room. I want the name of a room to equal a number.
> For example: I want the text "Executive Room A" to equal 105
>
> Does anyone know a way to do this with out putting them in different
> fields.
>
> -Sharon

You cannot do what you describe. A cell can contain text or a value, but not
both. You can write formulas, such as
=IF(A1="Executive Room A",105,0)
But why not just put the number corresponding to A1 in cell B1?

0
Paul
1/7/2004 3:52:44 PM
sleland,
You could create a VLOOKUP table of your room names and numbers.  Then whereever you want to use the number in a culculation you can insert the formula:

VLOOKUP(lookupvalue,table,2,0)

lookupvalue is the reference to the cell with the room name.
table is the reference to your roomname/roomnumber table.
2 means return the value in the second column of the table.
0 is the same as false, which means only return for an exact match.

Good Luck,
Mark Graesser
mark_graesser@yahoo.com

     ----- sleland > wrote: -----

     Is this possible to do?

     I want a cell to have a number assigned to it, but display text in the
     cell, so I can use the cell in a mathmatical formula.

     I'm using Excel 2003 to track how many seats I have left in each
     conference room. I want the name of a room to equal a number.
     For example: I want the text "Executive Room A" to equal 105

     Does anyone know a way to do this with out putting them in different
     fields.

     -Sharon

     ---

anonymous (74722)

Adding Two Text Fields together
I'm using Office 2000. Is there a way to combined two "Text" cells into one cell? Ex. A1 text is "micro", A2 text is "soft, A3 = "microsoft". Thank you for your time. Hi! =A1&A2 OR =CONCATENATE(A1,A2) Biff >-----Original Message----- >I'm using Office 2000. Is there a way to combined two "Text" cells into one >cell? > >Ex. A1 text is "micro", A2 text is "soft, A3 = "microsoft". > >Thank you for your time. > >. > Audrey In A3 enter =A1 & A2 When happy, you can...

Add sequential row numbers based on sorted field
I would like to make a make-table query that counts records using a type of row number, based on the number in the field [Batch]. For example: Record--[Batch] 1--6114 2--6114 3--6114 4--6115 5--6115 6--6116 7--6117 8--6117 9--6117 And the second table would look like: Record -- [Batch]--[Row] 1--6114--1 2--6114--2 3--6114--3 4--6115--1 5--6115--2 6--6116--1 7--6117--1 8--6117--2 9--6117--3 To give more background to what I am doing, I am using Access to systematically correct an export of Program A, so that the resulting data can be imported into Program B. While program A does not give an ...

assign a shortcut key in access
I want to assign a shortcut key in a form like when a user presses CTRL+S a code should run like Go To Control combo1 and me.combo1.dropdwon any way to do this? You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here's a very good explanation of how to do that! http://www22.brinkster.com/accessory/macros/002.shtml -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 missinglinq via AccessMonster.com wrote: > You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here&...

Increase number of calendars which can be viewed in outlook
Does any one know how I can view 35 calenders at once side by side in outlook rather than the stipulated 30? ...

Default Fields Not Updating 1.2
Hello All - We have noticed that none of the dropdowns etc that "Default" are populated on a new account when converted from a lead. Only if the account is created on its own. Anyone else experience this? Kristina Have you checked your mappings. I assume you are trying to map fields from leads to opportunities? "Kristina Ledford" <noemails@noemails.com> wrote in message news:O5l7Izm5DHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello All - > > We have noticed that none of the dropdowns etc that "Default" are populated > on a new account when conver...

Assigning values from a sheet to an array
Can anyone explain why I get a runtime error with the code below.MANY THANKS! Option Explicit Option Base 1 Sub testing3() Dim Vt() As Double Dim j As Long Dim i As Long ReDim Preserve Vt(1 To 40) For i = 1 To 40 j = Int(Rnd() * 1100) Vt(i) = Worksheets("data").Cells(1, j) Next i End Sub ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Because j is greater than 256, the maximum number of columns in Excel. Alan Beban Ann...

No "Assign Macro"
In the Excel help files it indicates that you can execute a pre-recorded macro from a command button. It states to first record the macro, then create the button, then right click on the button to get the shortcut menu and choose Assign Macro. I have tried this in both Excel 97 and Excel 2002 and in both cases I do not have any such item as "Assign Macro". Am I missing something If not by this elusive shortcut menu item, how can I assign the pre recorded macro through code? Aaron, It may be that your working with a command button from the "Control Toolbox" instead of...

Serial Numbers auto assigned
S/N are being auto assigned when the SOP Setup Options DO NOT have "auto-assign serial numbers" marked. We do NOT want to use a separate fulfillment process. Up until a few months ago, everything was fine. Now, when a PO item, assigned to a sales line item comes in, the s/n is autoassigned. How can I get this to go back the way it was? Below is the way we have had our SOP set up for eight years - why has it changed? Set-up>SOP>ORDER Allocate by: Doc/Batch X Transfer Order to BO / Transfer Order to Invoice Options: X Allow repeating documents _ Use Separate Fulfil...

format number rounds off
I am trying to formate a row of numbers in excel. The numbers that I am trying to type in each column consists of four digets as in 2760 but after I type in this number it only showes 28. Every number rounds to the next thousand. I keep checking the format for number with no decimals and I get this every time. How do I make it show the four typed digets? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide ...

No Assigned Licenses
We have a total of 5 licenses. However only three users can access the CRM applications. If any other user tries to access the application we get an error message stating No Assigned Licenses Any suggestions? Thanks. Matthew You have to actually go assign the users licenses with the CRM, Log in to CRM as administrator, Click Settings from the Left menu, Click Business Unit Settings, Click users, Click the user you want to assign a license to, then from the popup click license from the left menu, Click Manage Licenses and add a license to that user. Just to warn you do not remove the l...

How to customize the numbering in a query?
I want to customize the numbering in a query. In other word, I want to make customized numbering in a column in query but as formatted below: 001 002 003 … … etc any help please? Here's an example using a Transactions table which numbers the transactions sorted by date: SELECT FORMAT(COUNT(*),"000") AS RowCounter, T1.TransactionDate, T1.TransactionAmount FROM Transactions AS T1 INNER JOIN Transactions AS T2 ON ( T2.TransactionID <= T1.TransactionID OR T2.TransactionDate <> T1.TransactionDate) AND (T2.TransactionDate <= T1.TransactionDate) ...

Assigned task
Hi, we are receiving emails from our bosses with attachment of our schedule task which we manually enter into our outlook task folder, is there a way or how can we automatically accept assigned task to integrate to our task folder. We are using outlook2000 under windows98 the outlook 2000 version is part of the office 2000 package install on out PC's. TIA Is your boss sending the tasks to you using Outlook Rich Text Format? If not, have him start. Also, how is he assigning tasks? Using the Assign Task feature or forwarding the task to you? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] ...

Fixed Asset: Book value in cents
How can I stop depreciation of a Fixed Asset whose net book value is one dollar or less than one dollar. Help will be appreciated. Well... you have to change the depreciation method manually to No Depreciation. Then don't reset year or life.. just recalculate. "Tomal" wrote: > How can I stop depreciation of a Fixed Asset whose net book value is one > dollar or less than one dollar. > > Help will be appreciated. ...

page numbering #15
Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? Yes, View, Master page or Background, depending on the version. The numbering will have a # symbol. Put the text either before the # or after. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0708E7D-BAAB-4BD4-A940-3E7BF2C8A938@microsoft.com... > Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Yes,...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...

College Assignment Woes
Hello, I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could guide me in some kind of direction. I have been given the following data: On a new sheet, named Salary Table, starting at cell A1, build the following table: Name Current Salary Percent Increase Effective Month 2004 Compensation. My exact problem is that I must createa formula that can be used for all to calculate the amount to each employee for the year 2004. The increases take place on the first day of the month specified. This means that if increase comes in July, the pay is six months at the old rate and six months at the new rat...

how do I set up a number to arabic number
I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change format number in English to arabic number. Hi Ashraf, Assuming the number in in a field, simple: add an 'Arabic picture switch to the filed containing the number. For example, with page numbering- {PAGE \* Arabic } -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Ashraf" <Ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3080821A-C676-4FA2-88C4-D3CDCECF0193@microsoft.com... >I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change > format number in English...

floating comments or text boxes
is there a way to keep a comment or a graphic that "floats" above th spreadsheet, so when you scroll down the box(or image) stays there, an the sheet scrolls down? (kind of like how the ofice assistant is, onl i have a company logo that i want visible at all times. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can put your logo at the top of the sheet, split the window and se to "freeze" the top rows (and/or columns) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Case, Quote numbering
We should have the ability to number the cases without having a suffix. If we do have a suffix, we should be able to define the suffix. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

Adding a drop-down form field into individual cell
Hi, I�m tabulating data for a report and one field (column) is limited t two options (non numerical data). I would like to insert a drop-dow menu into individual cells in this column. When an option is selecte in the drop-down, I will only be using the data in that column to sort not calculate. Is this possible, and if so how do I do it? Any help i appreciated -- jcstoddar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jcstoddard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1485 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

Sort cells with same text descending
hi, Need some help with a spreadsheet which has the following setup aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 ddd 564 ddd 123 Now what i need to do is have the highest similar text cells descending. i.e ddd 123 ddd 564 aaa 111 bbb 223 ccc 345 I would like the individual rows to be shifted in this order also, not just column A and B. Any guidance in the right direction would help! Thanks, T-DHM =) -- T-DHM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ T-DHM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30136 Vi...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

a drop down field WITH the ability of free input
I would like to be able to create a drop down field WITH the ability of free input thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a02bd60d-12b8-4620-8a83-52ee95f5b...

Numbering, revisited
While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able to find the solutions for my specific quandry... [BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the first step! :) ] Background: My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon. We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual). Each chapter consists of steps, using multi-level numbered lists...