ascending sort definition [sorting alphabetically]

Does ascending sort mean A-Z?
-2

Yes.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
[email on web site]

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:44:02 -0800, GaryBlade
<GaryBlade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does ascending sort mean A-Z?
0
Chip
1/6/2010 2:08:04 AM
Yes.

See http://www.exceltip.com/st/How_Excel_Sorts_Lists/246.html for more
information.

"GaryBlade" wrote:

> Does ascending sort mean A-Z?
-1

Sorting CList
Is there a built-in or free qsort for CList like there is for CArray? Sorting a CList has its problems. If it isn't terribly large, you could always write a bubble-sort (N**2 sort) and just swap list item positions. For large lists, this can take minutes, which is not acceptable. What I have done in the past is create a CArray of pointers (where my CLIst is also a list of pointers; this makes it easy), and do something of the form, where CMyList is a subclass of CList<T, T>, where T is a pointer type. I';m doing this from memroy, and I don't often do templated subclasses, ...

Sorting #31
How do I sort a sheet (say 10 rows of 5 columns) into 1 row of 50 columns, where each 5 columns in the new single row is made up of the successive rows of 5 columns of the original data? I don't want to cut and paste. Cheers, B. hi, Sorry. sort doesn't work that way. you can do with copy paste special tranpose it would take you 5 pastes. assuming your date is at A1:E10, copy the a column then select end of data at row 1. goto edit>paste special> choose transpose repeat for the other 4 columns. sorry. Regards Frank >-----Original Message----- >How do I sort a sheet (...

sorting problem #6
I know sorting puts all true blank cells go to the bottom of the list. My question is: Is it possible to make blank cells caused by formulae such as IF(logical_test,value_if_true,"") also do the same? On Oct 16, 6:03 am, Yongguang....@gmail.com wrote: > I know sorting puts all true blank cells go to the bottom of the list. > My question is: > Is it possible to make blank cells caused by formulae such as > IF(logical_test,value_if_true,"") also do the same? One way is to sort the column in descending order first. This puts all non-blanks at the top but in reve...

How do I sort four columns
Can I, and if so how do I sort 4 colums at the same time in Excel? Hi first sort your data with the 4th column and after this sort your data with the remaining 3 columns -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chip wrote: > Can I, and if so how do I sort 4 colums at the same time in Excel? ...

How to check for numbers in ascending order?
Hi, I have a dataset coming back from an application screen where I have to check that the values in a set of fields are in ascending order. Is there an easy way to do this in SQL? I've written the following code using a WHILE loop (which works), but wondered if there was a better way of doing this i.e. using a CTE or similar? Here's the temp table that I've created to hold the values with an added row number: row_number row_id entry_value 1 101965 23000.00 2 101966 24000.00 3 101967 22000.00 ...

Sorting #12
hi all, how can after the use of autofilter, with code, to sort asc. the remain data? thanks, stelios Hi Stelios, Don't know if you followed up on reply in programming or not, but your question is not clear, and you should be posting to only one newsgroup. Since you mention code you obviously expect a programming solution and should stick to the excel.programming newsgroup For What it is worth, the same people visit excel.misc, excel, programming, exce.worksheet.functions and may also visit some more specialized newsgroups. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [sit...

Query Ascending Question
In a Ascending order on a query how can I get the blanks to come last, now its ordering blanks first then a,b,c,...Thanks for your help...Bob SELECT SomeTable.* FROM SomeTable ORDER BY [SomeColumn] Is Null, SomeColumn; Where 'SomeTable is the name of your table and 'SomeColumn' is the name of the column on which you want to sort. -- Brendan Reynolds Access MVP "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnf6a$1me$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > > > In a Ascending order on a query how can I get the blanks to come last, now > its ordering blanks first th...

include LISTNUM in style definition?
Is there any way to create a styled paragraph that allows you to include a LISTNUM field code inside the style definition to do simple numbering, therefore, avoiding Word 2007's built-in numbering? If so how? No, that isn't possible. However, you can create an AutoText entry (Building Block) that inserts a field. For simple numbering, I'd use a SEQ field. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "cayce" <cayce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDDB7640-3C7A-4A78-B5B3-F35D5037A78D@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to create a s...

Row names will not move with sort

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

sorting macro #3

Report Writer Sorting
Is it possible to sort a report by a calculated field? I dont see this available in RW but I could be looking in the wrong area. thanks Theo :) Hi Theo, No, you can only sort by the fields available in the tables. Neither can you create a restriction that uses a calculated field. Depending on why you are sorting, try using Smartlist to display the data in order you want. Robert "Theo" <Theo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3975D62-EFCA-4B7D-8BD8-3145F35EC190@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to sort a report by a calculated field? I dont see this >...

Is autofilter & sort disabled in protected cells?
My spreadsheet is protected, but I have checked off the boxes to allow users to use autofilter & sort, but since my cells are protected (because I don't want anybody to change any records in the document) the autofilter sort feature does not work. Is there any way around this? Thanks. If you apply AutoFilter to the sheet before protecting it (and check the 'use autofilter' option), AutoFilter will work on the protected sheet. Excel will never sort locked cells, even if you checked the 'sort' option when you protected the sheet. The two alternatives usual...

Pivot Table Ascending Order of Row Field
I have a Pivot Table with the Row Field populated with Client codes (ABC). When I manually set the Feild Settings of the Row Data to Ascending I get the following order below. Note the first code is out of order. When I put it in decsending order I get the reverse order with the code JFM last in order. Whey is this? JFM AXD DTK EIL EQZ FLD GAJ GOM HNI HUN HZT MSH PGU QAG RJE RUM SLJ TAH UIS VGJ VZH WCY WLO Do you have a Custom list with JFM as one of the entries (Tools>Options, Custom Lists)? ExcelMonkey wrote: > I have a Pivot Table with the Row Field populated with Client c...

sorting out duplicate data of slight variation
hi. in a school district volunteer effort, i have a need to sort out rows of data which are duplicates of other rows of data yet some fields contain different data. picture this: columns: first name, last name, address rows contain data like below: susan, smith, 1440 wallaby way joe, smith, 1440 wallaby way bart, smith, 200 kings court i need to keep susan or joe but not both. HELP! Hi Carl, You can use a filter, but I expect your initial goal is to identify them and chose one of them at the primary one to keep. Chip Pearson has a rather complete collection of dealing with duplicates. ...

query sort on date
I've got a table where applicant data is entered (via a form) everytime an application is submitted. Each time a person submits an application it is enteed as a new submission, thus I can have duplicate records on a person, except for the submission date and maybe the address if it changed but it is still a new record. My questions are how can I query the table data to only show the most recent applications without having duplicate records on a person? Another field in the table is the SSN. The other question pertaining to the same query is say that an application was submit...

using combo boxes to sort
I need to make a spreadsheet for work with several fields. I have inserted combo boxes into certain columns (last name, first name) so that data can be easily found. The problem that I am running into is that when I choose let's say a last name, it separates from the rest of the data but the rest of the row (first name, date of birth, etc) stays in the original spot. How do I make it so that I can find data in one column but have all the information in that row move? I have also seen charts where when the requested data comes up the rest of the data "hides." If anyone know...

Sorting a list of UK Postal codes in Excel 2003
Hi, I am relatively new to Excel and am using the 2003 version. I am currently learning about lists. I have compiled a list of personal data with names and addresses. I have put the Postal Codes in a separate column. When I sort the list in ascending order by Postal code I get e.g the following: SA1 SA11 SA12 SA5 SA6 SA8 Can anyone please advise how I can sort SA5,SA6 and SA7 to come before SA11 and SA12 in the list. Many thanks Add another column and use a formula like this to convert the 3 digit entries to 4 digit entries. Then sort on the new column. = if(len(A1) = 3, left(A1,2) &...

definition of "series" in XL
I am having trouble in Microsoft XL because I can't get a handle on exactly what a data series is. This leads to serious trouble clearly labeling charts. If a series is in rows or columns, does that mean the data is read down the rows or down the columns? It seems to be the opposite of what is intuitive when I actually try it. I wonder if anybody else is as dumb as I am? Hi Mike is this the same question as the one you asked in microsoft.public.excel.misc on the charts? if so i attempted to answer it there :) one thing i didn't mention there was when you choose "rows...

Ascending Numbers
Does anyone know how to create index cards that are numbered, with the numbers ascending for each and every card? -- Ta Muchly Mail merge. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504371033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Rachel" <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81E6674B-C0AF-479D-BC23-6C3B5CEBA11F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to create index cards that are numbered, with the > numbers ascending for each and every card? > -- > Ta Muchly ...

How do I subtotal data and then sort these subtotals in ascending.
Hi Steve personally i would sort the data by the category on which to subtotal then subtotal it (data / subtotals) then collapse it down so i could only see the subtotal lines select them choose edit / goto / special - visible cells only copy go to a new sheet & paste then sort that list. hope this helps Cheers JulieD "Steve_Wood" <Steve_Wood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:456CB89E-B0D5-41A7-B646-9BC71355AA3B@microsoft.com... > Just hide the details and sort the visible cells. when you show the details, you'll be amazed (I was!) that exce...

How might one serialize a sorted dictionary?
given a sorted dictionary of sorted dictionaries Private m_profilesDict As Dictionary(Of String, Object) = New Dictionary(Of String, Object) If m_profilesDict.ContainsKey(ProfileName) Then ProfileDict = m_profilesDict.Item(ProfileName) Else ProfileDict = New SortedDictionary(Of Double, String) m_profilesDict.Add(ProfileName, ProfileDict) End If If ProfileDict.ContainsKey(dlength) Then .... Else ProfileDict.Add(dlength, "to be determined") End If so at runtime i might have M_ProfileDict.Item ("A") ProfileDict.Item("25").Value = &quo...

Sorting rows horizontally
I have a medium sized data base, organized as shown below: Column A Column B Column C Column D Column E Success % 85 80 75 77 Price 1.25 1.10 2.18 1.50 Yield rate 150 140 145 148 etc. etc. I'm looking for a formula or routine that will sequentially arrange the values of each row from low to high, leaving the labels in column A untouched If I understand what you're asking, you -*don't* want to keep the columns together? The 85 and 1.25 and 150 are separate entities and *not...

Sorting columns.
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet with about 300 tabs. Some have data in Column A only, some have data in Column A through Column IV. I want to have a Macro that will go through each tab and move everything into Column A on that tab. So, any data in Column B gets moved underneath the data in Column A. Then any data in Column C will be moved underneath the data from Column A and Column B, in Column A, etc. Then, I'd like the macro to delete any blank lines on each tab. (There will be lots of them). I've tried to do this but my way has created a macro that is now a over a thousa...