Archival Data -- Managing over Time

I am developing a set of data that I will do some
research on, and others as well.

My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook
in a very simple format, and not do any calculations
or charts in that workbook.  I'll do my charts in
other workbooks, and will send the source data
workbook to others when they request.

The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental
modifications to the source data over time.

Is this a good plan?  Any other comments about
how to protect the accuracy and stability of the
source data over time?  I understand I can essentially
make the source file readonly.  I am more concerned
about when I do add to the source data file
accidentally damaging something in an adjacent
column, for instance.  Checksums?

I see 2 new directories since I started making charts
and referencing the source data workbook --
chart1_files and page1_files.  Does all this new
stuff represent a threat over time, in terms of complexity,
to the original source data workbook?

Thanks for any comments.

Sounds to me you're taking the best approach:
keep it simple.  You can start adding checksums
and other fancy protections, but then you're
adding the complexity you wish to avoid.

I'd concentrate on having fail-safe backups as
the best step to keep your data.

Good luck.

0
anonymous (74722)

multiple data label formats
Is it possible from a single data range to create a chart (pie) wit data labels of both "show percent" and "show value" next to each other The wizard only lets you pick one and I've got a large number of thes to do so i'd rather not put it in manually. Any help is appreciated Thanks, To -- ob3ron0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ob3ron02's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1545 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27275 Hi, You will need to use a he...

Excel2000: Custom data validation and named ranges
As I didn't get any answer to my previous question on similar subject, I'll make a new attempt with somewhat simpler examples. Let's me have a custom data validation defined for some range of cells. P.e. I select the range A1:A10 and set custom validation formula as =AND(A1>=0,A1<=100). Now only entries between 0 and 100 (or empty cell) are allowed. When tested, data validation works. Now I define (the range A1:A10 is selected) a named range MyRange =$A$1:$A$10 , and modify the data validation formula (for cell A1) to =AND(MyRange>=0,MyRange<=100) Now any entry is all...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Macro to Refresh External data
Good afternoon, I try to record a macro to refresh external data but the macro recorder does not give me anything once I refresh the query and stop the recording. Does anyone knows why? Or better if you know the VBA to make this happen -even when the data sheet is hidden- let me know. Thanks in advance and greetings from south Fla. Apprentice, This is the code the recorder generated when I tried a refresh on a text file import. Range("A1").Select Selection.QueryTable.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False You'd probably change it to something like: Range("A1&quo...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

What does Excel do when you go over the limit for total data point
The maximum number of total data points in a plot is 256,000. However, I have setup plots with > 1.5 million data points. Excel does not complain about this, but I'm guessing it is still only showing 256,000 points. The thing is, I can't figure out which 256,000 it is showing. I don't think it's just the first 256,000 because the data is sorted and it would look abruptly cutoff after the 256,000th point. I'm using a scatterplot if that helps. The plot looks correct, with gradually decreasing density towards the outer edges of the plot. But if it's only ...

Time Out Error when attempting to view report
I get a time out message when attempting to view a report. The on the application event log it says that the application cannot communicate with the report viewer. CAn someone help me resolve this I receive the following message when attempting to view a report: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Request timed out. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the ...

Open Entry Form to existing data
Hi, I have an entry form - I would like to be able to put in the ID and Date and have the form showing the data for that. Currently it's on open to Edit form - and shows the first record - I would like to be able to type in the IDNO in the IDNo Text Box and enter the date and it will show the corresponding data, thus it should also load to a blank form. Thanks Leave the form in edit mode, so that it loads all records. Set the form's On Load property to: [Event Procedure] Then click the button button (...) beside the property. Access opens the code window. Set up the code like ...

Converting a text time into a time format.
Hi Here's my problem. I have a text field that is "00:13:45" and i would like to covert that into a time field of "hh:mm:ss" in order to calculate totals/averages. Currently if i change the format of the cell to a hh:mm:ss format it will not change the actual data in the field until you activate(F2) in each cell. I'm familiar with the Timevalue() formula but i would like to avoid adding more columns into the spread sheet Is there a simple way to do this with out having to activate(F2) each of the fields in order for the time to convert. Any one know if i can c...

Compare data #3
Hi I wonder if we can have dual display in a cell. Exemple, i have a list of number and i would like to compare them with the previous in the list and display the difference in percentage in (parentesis) beside the value. ...

Stupid question about SPS & Excel data modification
Hi, I have a stupid question here: while using SPS2003, I can modify the data of the list webpart in excel sheet (either by the OWC or Excel), after click the sync button, it could write the data back to the SPS2003 (to save the data to the SQL Server through SPS2003). How could this happened ? Can anyone tell me some concept of this ? Or show me the topic / technical information for me to learn ? ...

Help with displya of time formats
I'm trying to add up some times, ie: 00:01:30 + 00:01:40 - adding one minute and 30 seconds to 1 minute and 40 seconds. I can get the addition to work properyl and yeild the desired result, however the constant displaying of full clock time for the above numbers makes it a real pain to edit the times. Is there a simpler way of displaying time so that there is no date, or AM or PM or the addition of an hour in front of the number (ie 00:01:30 becomes 12:01:30)? Even if I format the number as mm:ss, I still get the hour showing when a number is entered. I was hoping to use Degrees, Minu...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Excel refreshing of data. Not happening. Hoiw Bizzaar
Hi There. So each time I change a cell the auto sum does not add up the change just keeps the original summed figure there....until you click on Save. The Sumed total then displays correctly. Any ideas on how i get excel to perform normally again. The file is about 1Mb Tools>options>calculations set it to automatic -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C6A7649-CEDE-4A60-B597-F264E8612C12@microsoft.com... > Hi There. > So each time I change a cell the auto sum does not add up the change just > k...

Transfer data
I don't get an error but it also does not update my table!! This code should create a new record in table: tblQualityProvider then copy ICNNo into the new record. (The GetNewID comes from a public function - I pasted it below this code). Private Sub cmdProv_Click() Dim gappname As String Dim lCriteria As String Dim lICCNNO As String Dim lRacfid As String lICCNNO = Me!ICNNo If MsgBox("Any Message") = vbYes Then DoCmd.SetWarnings False Dim lID As Long lID = GetNewID("tblQualityProvider") lCriteria ...

Writing a HEX file binary data
Hi I am trying to write to hex file , this is my first time writing to file in windows vista, So first i will let the user to create it by the "CFileDialog" and then save it, and Then i want to write to the file some data, here is the code i used: //to save the file CFileDialog dialog(FALSE,_T("hex"), FilePath, 0, _T("Hex File (*.hex)"), this); if (dialog.DoModal() == IDOK) { .... } //open the file for write ,lets say the user choose zack.hex. nFile = fopen ("C:\Users\user\Documents\IM\coding_PROJECTS\zack.hex","w"); //write to the file 5 c...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

Using Excel one time only...
I have been asked by my boss to put together a form that creates timetable and I can't figure out for the life of me how to make i work. It's just two sheets. If it were figures I think I could cope, but seem to have encountered a mental block - any help would be mos appreciated! Sheet one: Left hand column contains the names of all the managers, top row hold the days of the week. The rows for each day are for the input o particular shifts (9 in total). Sheet two: What she wants is a timetable here; days across the top again, but th shifts in the left column, so the managers'...

how to input consecutive alphabet data?
how to input consecutive alphabet data? for example a, b, c etc, k_a, k_b, k_c, etc. news, Put 97 in B1, then copy it down with the fill hjndle holding the Ctrl key. That will give you 98, 99, etc. Put this formula in cell A1: ="k_" & CHAR(B1) COpy it down with the fill handle -- Regards from Virginia Beach, Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "news.microsoft.com" <whoknows@microsft.com> wrote in message news:OsUAzGDoIHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > how to input consecutive alphabet ...

Pivot table
Hi I have a pivot table with some exhaustive data. When I put in the one of the fields "Costs" in the data area , excel automatically does a count of the costs or if I go in options it gives me choices of Sum, % of and etc. But I just want the basic value of the costs to show up.. no calculations> it seems I cannot find how to do that. Please help asap. Thanks Yusuf. The idea behind a pivot table is to provide a summary of single items of data grouped into counts or sums etc. You can get around this by placing your column COSTS in either the ROW or COLUMN sections. This...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Charting Progress Data
Hello, I am working with Excel 2007. I am looking to chart some data and I can not figure out how it is possible. I want to create a chart that shows how students have performed on a test (# of students at a certain level) and show the progress towards meeting a target. It would display the data for 9 categories of students. I am thinking that a scatter plot for the target number for each category and a bar graph of the # students at or above that level for each category. I am having a hard time creating that on one chart. I can do the scatter plot, and I can do the bar graph bu...

generating normally distributed data
Hi, Is there any function that can generate normally distributed data (wit mean and variance as input)? Tks, Maca -- mac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- maca's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38831 This Google search gives lots of answers http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&num=10&q=excel+microsoft+%28gaussian+OR+normal+probability%29+group%3A*excel*&safe=off&qt_s=Search best wishes -- Bernard...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

Data Feed from Stock market
Folks; Does anyone know if commercial software like Microsoft Money can be used to take a stock market data feed & easily create customized reports? Thanks, Jo. Excel might be a better choice. -- Michael Gordon <JoJo> wrote in message news:OfJcJpFhHHA.4600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Folks; > > > > Does anyone know if commercial software like Microsoft Money can be used > to take a stock market data feed & easily create customized reports? > > > Thanks, > Jo. > > > > ...