ANOVA procedures and t-test equal variance

In looking through Excel I see that it has both the ANOVA procedure and a
t-test with equal variances and a t-test for unequal variances.  One of the
assumptions that is made in both the "standard t test" and ANOVA is that the
variances are equal.  Yet, Excel seems to have no test for homoscedasicity
(oh what a cool word).  How do you know these procedures are ok to use if you
have not checked the assumption of equal variances?
0
Noosa (2)

Noosa  -

> In looking through Excel I see that it has both the ANOVA procedure and a
> t-test with equal variances and a t-test for unequal variances.  One of
> the assumptions that is made in both the "standard t test" and ANOVA is
> that the variances are equal.  Yet, Excel seems to have no test for
> homoscedasicity (oh what a cool word).  How do you know these procedures
> are ok to use if you have not checked the assumption of equal variances? <

Excel's Analysis ToolPak includes an F-Test Two-Sample for Variances.

-  Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

Why can't I resize/move objects in XL XP chart?
I've checked every spot I can find locally to ensure that click and drag is activated without success. hi, did you try this Tools>options>edit tab>check allow cell drag and drop >-----Original Message----- >I've checked every spot I can find locally to ensure that click and drag is >activated without success. >. > Yes, first thing. It works elsewhere but not in charts. I can't even get the tw0-heded arrow. I've heard someone else (not at this location) had the same problem and couldn't get it working. "anonymous@discussions.microso...

I can't restore my Money 2002 file.
My hard drive recently crashed. When I try to restore my money file onto the new hard drive I get an error message saying that the default location for storing the restored file has an invalid path name. Then, I browse for the exact same location, and click restore only to get prompted for a password. The problem is that I never had a password to begin with so I cannot oblige it to access my file. I never used passport and never protected my file with an off-line money password either. Can anyone tell me what I should do. One thing to try is this: install the trial edition of M+ Deluxe...

Stored procedure timeout
Hello,i have a stored procedure that is called from an ASP.net page and it takes about 2 minutes to execute. When I run it from QA it takes about 10 seconds. the procedure which is not recompiled and it is in procedure cache. Thanks for your help. Jose Nadim Hi Jose, It will probably be a bad plan in procedure cache. add "WITH RECOMPILE" to the stored procedure definition... create proc blah with recompile as Does that fix the problem? If that fixes the problem then the original problem was caused by "parameter sniffing" and an original call t...

"Display Presence" Setting Won't Stick
Office 2003 with MS Exchange, Windows XP Pro workstations. The "display presence status in the from field" option in Outlook 2003 on my workstation will not stay selected. I can select it, but after I hit apply and go back into options it shows it as not selected. (Tools> Options> Other tab) Going around the office, we have found that some workstaitons have it already selected, on some it can be checked and on others -- it can't be checked. Outlook is using MS Exchange for all the mail. The "Enable the person Names Smart Tag" stays selected. Any advice w...

eseutil /r error can't recover all log files
When running the eseutil /r command on an Exchange 2003 server I get the following error: Operation terminated with error -543 (JET_errRequiredLogFilesMissing, The required log files for recovery is missing.) after 21.15 seconds. When I look at the application event log there is an Event ID 453 (Source:ESE and Category: Logging/Recovery). The event id reports the following: eseutil (3624) Database c:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb requires logfiles 356035-356039 in order to recover successfully. Recovery could only locate logfiles up to 356038. Is there a way to recover th...

T-SQL Development
I've written a few scripts for an RMS system and would like to get some more info on the SQL Server backend. Is there a developer's resource available other than the customization guide? Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_057D_01C89517.41F08F90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Offlnt, If you're asking about more SQL stuff, Google "SQL Books online". --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software Search this newsgroup -- http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w (Stolen from DRS) =3D=3D=3D...

OT: For those of you who haven't been following the market
When you get your 3rd quarter investment and 401(k) statements, you might just want to recycle them, unopened, with the rest of the junk mail. "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in message news:%23xLu7hTGJHA.5064@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > When you get your 3rd quarter investment and 401(k) statements, you might > just want to recycle them, unopened, with the rest of the junk mail. > ....but what if we *want* to look in the mirror to see how bad a haircut we got?... -- Scott Tyler agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com I recommend...

Can't access Reports area
When I click on the Reports area, I get an error message saying, "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator." I also get the same message when I try to access Settings -> Organization Settings -> System Settings. One of the major reasons my company is implementing CRM is to get pipeline reports, so obviously this is a concern. Does anyone know what might have caused this error? Or even better, does anyone have any ideas how to fix it! Cheers The system settings also pulls information from Reporting services. I will assume that Rep...

Smaller Procedures in case procedure
I am having difficulty breaking down a large procedure into smaller ones as the program tells me I have exceeded the 64K and must do this. The program which puts numbers 1 to 12 in a column based on matching values in another column, rngA, as shown in part of the procedure below. This comprises 9 Cases with 12 sub cases in each of these. Now prior to this stage there was only the chance of 7 values matching in sequence in rngA so 7 Cases with 12 subcases in each worked perfectly. Now there is the possiblity of their being 9 matches so I had to add on another 2 Cases with the 12...

Macros Won't Go Away
When I bring up my spread sheet it asks me if I want to disable macros. To my knowledge there are no macros. If I click on macros, to see what's there I don't see anything. Can I somehow get rid of that icon that comes up every time I open my spreadsheet? Thanks Jimmy You need to delete the modules that held the macros, as well as the macros themselves. Right-click on your sheet tab and select View code. In the left-hand window, it will show the modules that exist. Andy. "Jimmy W" <JW@non.net> wrote in message news:tl6n005f93e7tgdloiklcbgmukdlucnbja@4ax.com... ...

how to transfer a T-SQL query to a semantec query and create the M
How to transfer lots of T-SQL input from users or files to a semantec query used in Reporting Service of SQL Server 2005 and create the MSDL file accordingly? ...

Legend
In "Chart Options" for Legends, I Uncheck 'Show Legend" & I increase the width of the Chart. BUT, reopening the File (after SAVING it), "narrows" the Chart & puts the Legend back in. Is there a way to NOT have a Legend?? TIA - Bob what version of Excel do you have. It does not do that on any of the versions I have worked with. Is it in just one file that this happens or all files. "Bob Barnes" wrote: > In "Chart Options" for Legends, I Uncheck > 'Show Legend" & I increase the width of the Chart. > > BUT, ...

Stored Procedures
Hi All, Is there any way of accessing a stored procedure from a .mdb, using VBA (ADOX) maybe? Also is there any truth in the rumour that Microsoft are abandoning support for .adp projects? Thanks in advance. hi Nick, Nick 'The Database Guy' wrote: > Is there any way of accessing a stored procedure from a .mdb, using > VBA (ADOX) maybe? You may use ADO with an extra connection to your database or you use a passthrough query like EXEC sp; To connect it to your server use With CurrentDb .QueryDefs.Items("passThrough").Connect = _ .TableDef...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #4
Thanks for the help so far guys, it's been a little while since responded. I tried copying the general cell and paste special with no luck. Whe trying the =isnumber(Cell#) thing I have found that some cells retur true and some return 0. I'm not sure what that means. If I highligh the cell, hold F9 and press the fx button, the dialog box opens an states the argument and the result. The result is right in the dialo box, but when I close it the only thing that shows up is 0 in th cell. Please help -Jorda -- kalik24 -----------------------------------------------------------------...

Mail merged but won't send to outlook
Hi, I prepared a one paged letter and merged it with a test list of 8 people. I have no problems with the design etc. When I try to send it or click preview I get a message saying the disk is full and Publisher cannot save into file. I have no idea what it means since I'm not asking it to save anything and I have a lot of free GBs on my disk. Please help. What version Publisher? Are you trying to send the letter as a message? Help here Answer Box: Use e-mail contacts in Publisher mail merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA011187801033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://o...

new isp & new domain name procedure
The company recently re-located to another state and got a new ISP. The old network guy left the company and disappeared and the domain name was registered under his name so we couldn't switch the DNS numbers. Anyways, we got a new domain name, pointed it to our exchange/web server and all that works fine and dandy. from home I'm able to login to webmail, see old mail. What I can't do is send/receive new mail from outside the network. When I send to the new domain address it bounces back with a SMTP communication problem. When I send mail from new domain's webmail, it s...

Records don't save
I have a multi-user database (small) that has a few data entry forms.It is split with a bit of obfuscative VBA code for error checking. (Ididn't build it but its in my charge)The problem is that occasionally users are entering records andclicking "save", and even though it confirms the save, the record isnot in the table. I believe this is after a chain of several recordsis entered....

Don't know
Sorry.. title is strange.. I have two worksheets.. In both of them I have two same columns - Cod and Name.. In one worksheet is a list of all codes and names, and I want in othe one to put only a code in a cell and to get a name from the othe worksheet (that has a same code).. if you know what I mean:confused -- alen_r ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alen_re's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2833 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50172 See if this example covers your sit...

Send to Onenote on Windows 7, driver won't work?
I downloaded the driver from David Rasmussen, but every time I open OneNote after printing to XPS I get the message "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." If I click continue it still doesn't work. This was one of my favorite features - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find me a way to use OneNote! I lived off of it last year. Rilli wrote: > I downloaded the d...

Stored Procedures
I have a couple of SPROC groups in my GP7.5 install that I'm not sure what module they are associated with. The groups start with the following: zDP_ASIL zDP_FS010 zDP_RECT zDP_RECTS Any ideas? Thanks The zDP_ stored procedures are used by Dexterity to improve performance of the system. Because Dexterity usually accesses tables in the same way each time it calls to SQL, having the select statements pre-compiled as sprocs speeds up access significantly. You would need to identify the products that have tables with the physical names starting with ASIL FS010 RECT RECTS You c...

auto caps don't work
in outlookk 2003, even tho i have set tools, options, spelling to autocorrect the first word of a sentence. it doesn't do it. i have never had this problem before, but now i have a new laptop and can't get this feature to work. -- tom martin Are you using Word as your editor? If so, your settings are there. Otherwise, learn to type. http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4713&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C4713&ysmchn=GGL&ysmcpn=Typing&ysmcrn=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50&ysmtrm=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50+mavis+beacon&ysmtac=PPC&ovtac=PPC&SR=s...

Can't import .pst after machine rebuild
After rebuilding my machine and reinstalling my apps, I'm being prompted that I can't import my .pst because the service hasn't been configured. The problem is that I'm not seeing how to configure the service. I'm running Outlook 2k, Internet only. How do I import my .pst? Thanks. Have you tried simply opening the .PST via File | Open | Personal Folders File, rather than trying to import it? Re-using the same .PST tends to work better than importing anyway... -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- p...

Converting View to Stored Procedure
Hello, I know there have been long conversations with a lot of details describing benefits and drawbacks of using a stored procedure over a view... and vice versa. I'm re-writing some query objects to improve performance and there is one view I've come across that is particularly difficult for me to make a decision on how best to handle. The view itself is probably hit 40K+ times a day from an online application, and in mild terms, it's a bit of a beast. The view itself contains about 10 different joins and has some nasty case statements and complex use of functions (user...

WLM can't connect to newsgroup
Although WLLM connects to microsoft community newsgroup it not connecting with another. Trying to add forums.opensuse.org doesn't work with WLM returns server terminated unexpectedly trying to retrieve newsgroups lists. No security signon or login required for connecting, ie, anonymous login allowed.. "noi ance" <noi@siam.com> wrote in message news:hoiiag$2j9$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Although WLLM connects to microsoft community newsgroup it not connecting > with another. > > > Trying to add forums.opensuse.org doesn't ...

ANOVA with 3 factors
Is it possible to using Excel to perform an ANOVA with 3 (or more) factors? Thanks Confused Slug - The Data Analysis wizards of Excel's Analysis ToolPak have only one-factor and two-factor ANOVA. For three-factor ANOVA, you could investigate using Minitab, SPSS, SAS, or R. Or, depending on your needs, you might be able to Excel's Regression tool or LINEST worksheet function if you're willing to set up the data matrix of binary indicator variables. Both the Regression tool and LINEST are limited to sixteen explanatory variables, so you're limited to four...