alternate UI for Define Names ??

I've just started using Define Names for storing formulas. I find thi
to be very helpful, except the supplied interface (in Excel 2000) i
limited (especially since some of the formulas are quite long.)

I've figured out some workarounds that work fine, but I was wonderin
if anyone has created a more flexible, or just larger, interface t
Excel's Define Names.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

--
jmg09254

jmg092548's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2611
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39488

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:47:08 -0500, jmg092548
<jmg092548.1tljuf_1123758313.9777@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>I've just started using Define Names for storing formulas. I find this
>to be very helpful, except the supplied interface (in Excel 2000) is
>limited (especially since some of the formulas are quite long.)
>
>I've figured out some workarounds that work fine, but I was wondering
>if anyone has created a more flexible, or just larger, interface to
>Excel's Define Names.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Go to:

http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm

and download Name Manager. It's one of the most useful add-ins you can
get.

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)
8/11/2005 11:59:01 AM
Thanks very much! That site has some other cool stuff, too.

Jim

----------------------

Go to:

http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm

and download Name Manager. It's one of the most useful add-ins you can
get.

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks!

--
jmg09254

jmg092548's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2611
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39488

MSCommCtrl alternative??
I would like to use the com port to communicate with an external device. MSComm32, an ActiveX control, fits the bill fine for this if you happen to have a dialog open that can parent the control. That way, you can create a control variable of the Comm32 class and have access to all its glory. In my application, I have no dialog that hosts the control. I realize this exposes my ignorance of ActiveX and COM but is there a reasonably simple way to get access to an ActiveX control's functionality without having it reside in a dialog? Thanks in advance, Bob Bob Curry wrote: > I would ...

File naming conventions
I received an excel worksheet. It's named "fileA 24Aug2005.xls". When i open it up on my mac in excel, the date truncates to something like "fileA #17D114.xls. This wouldn't be a problem, except that when i print their file from my computer, the new name, prints at the bottom of the worksheet which won't fly because the new name printed wouldn't match their database. 2 questions. 1) where is this file name stored and where is the command that tells it to print at the bottom, because i don't see it on my screen, only the printed copy. 2) how can i open a...

Check Names
Why does the subject button give me the option of the "business fax" for an email address? How do I send out 100 emails and make each one appear personal? Thanks The Subject button? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Clifford Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:346201c3ad1e$59277c90$3101280a@phx.gbl... > Why does the subject button give me the option of > the "business fax" for an email address? > > How do I send out 100 emails and make each one appear > personal? > > Thanks ...

Changing Users Name
We have a user that got married over the weekend. I went into her windows account and renamed her account name( that worked fine),I also added new SMTP addresses for her new married name under her exchange settings and set the new SMTP address as the default SMTP account. I left her old SMTP (Maiden Name) settings intact so that she can still accept mail to her old account name. However her mail is still going out with the maiden name attached. Can someone tell me how to fix this. I'm running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. need to right click on the correct e-mail address under h...

Defining products
Where can I find good examples of defining products, units, unit groups, price list, discount list? Should I follow MSCRM suggested order of defining products. Is there an article that explain well, product defining procedure? Thanks in advance. ...

move sent items to alternate folder dependant on sender email addr
Hi I have an issue, caused by having multiple mailboxes open in outlook, this is a business requirement with different email addresses (and domain names) for different business areas. (eg user1@dom1.com and user1@dom2.com) I am using outlook2003, backed by exchange 2003. I want to automatically place sent items in the correct sent items folder depending upon what email address (account) was used to send out an email. Whichever is the primary email account currently has all sent items in it. (eg sent from user1@dom1.com and user1@dom2.com) Although it is possible to manually just cop...

Mail Server Host Name
We are running Exchange 5.5 and host our own mail. Can someone tell me where I can find the Host Name of our mail server? On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:11:38 -0400, "Debbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are running Exchange 5.5 and host our own mail. Can someone tell me where >I can find the Host Name of our mail server? > Its the name of the server. ...

Application-defined or Object-defined-error when changing color in
I have tried the following different approaches to chaning the background color of a cell in an Excell 2007 VBA module and have gotten Application-defined or Object-defined-error each time. I can display the color value I just can't seem to be able to change it. Sheet1.Cells(1, 2).Interior.Color = RGB(126, 255, 126) Worksheets("sheet1").Cells("A1").Interior.ColorIndex = 3 ActiveSheet.Cells(Cell).Interior.ColorIndex = 255 Range("A1").Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = 1 Any help is welcomed. Thank you in advance for your help. hi t...

duplicate names on voting tracking ??
Hi, An email I am tracking for voting responses seems to be tracking some recipients in duplicate. At first I thought that responses weren't being tracked... so I followed the advice given here and kept the responses in my inbox etc. but then noticed that they are tracked but becasue their names are on the list twice, their response was further up or down the list! Of the 45 recipients of the eamil, 5 people are on the tracking list only once, and the rest are on it in duplicate. I have asked other users of voting buttons in my office and they do not have the same problem ...

Retrieving a file name quickly
In VC 6++ MFC, how do I quickly retreive the first file name (sorted ascending) from a directory? Should I be using CFileFind to get a list of file names from a directory and then sort the list? This doesn't seem to be efficent since I'm looking for one file name. >In VC 6++ MFC, how do I quickly retreive the first file name (sorted >ascending) from a directory? > >Should I be using CFileFind to get a list of file names from a directory and >then sort the list? This doesn't seem to be efficent since I'm looking for >one file name. Charles, That'...

how to hang outlook when resolving names in new emails
I have four contacts in my contacts list, and a huge global address list on the corporate directory. If I set to resolve first from contacts, then global; and I type in "sm" then try to resolve, outlook 2000 hangs and must be end tasked. ...

Alternative to
Hi all, Thanks for your help in advance. Well I am at nadir in terms of knowledge of MFC and any other GUI development thing, But I have to solve a Bug which is like that in a Window, a menu which appears on double right click should come up instead in single right click. It is using currently the following things to do the same ON_NOTIFY_REFLECT(NM_RCLICK, OnRclick) void CTreeInfoWnd::OnRclick(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) Earier I thought I should use the following ON_WM_RBUTTONDOWN() void CTreeInfoWnd::OnRButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point){ but here the problem is I need NM_LI...

Can I create and syncronize alternate calendars on my pocket PC?
I use ActiveSync to syncronize my Home PC and Work PC with my PocketPC. Can I also create and synchronize these alternate calendars on my PocketPC and home/work PC? ActiveSync only syncs the default calendar. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM New Poll: What type of emai...

Splitting First and Last Names
I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both first and last names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do this? Hi use 'Data - Text to<columns' for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jamie wrote: > I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both first and last > names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do this? "Jamie" <pastorjman310@hotmail.com> wrote >I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both >first and last > names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do &g...

How to get a UI in a DLL to show tooltips?
I basically need to have an application in a DLL. An application, that we don't have access to the source for, uses a DLL to expand its functionality. Currently we have been displaying only Dialog boxes from the DLL which works fine. We are now adding a new graphics interface that uses the entire CWinApp and Doc/View architecture. When this is created as a DLL some functionality is lost, mainly the buttons on the toolbar don't enable and the tooltips don't work. Then menus work fine though. From what I have gleaned from MSDN and the tech docs the DLL doesn't get...

Exchange 2003 full computer name doesn't match domain name.
I'm running a Windows 2000 SP4 DC network with a single Exchange 2003 SP2 server running on a Windows 2003 member server. For some reason the full computer name of the exchange server (exchange.wrongdomain.com) does not match our domain name (mydomain.local). We are having some weird issues (such as not able to create mailboxes at the same time as adding a new user) on our network which I think are related to this discrepancy. The only way I've found to solve this issue is to remove the server from the domain and re-add it. However, I don't know what affect this will have o...

Outlook 2003 does not "remember' previous email addresses when you type in their first name
Gurus, Using Outlook 2003. I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email addresses you typed? With people I've emailed before, I'll type their first name and Outlook pops up their address. However, my supervisor also running Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or type the last name for which Outlook will pop up the correct suggestion(s). He has enabled the following: Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automa...

Alternative to IF function
I have a formula that is using nested IFs, and it is beginning to becom unmanageable. First I am at the 7-deep limit, but otherwise I find the logic aspec hard to follow everytime I have to alter it. In VB there is *Select Case*, in C++ there is *switch*. Is there a VB *worksheet* function with similar functionality t these? (I've searched but can't find). something like: Code ------------------- =Case($A$1="A-325", THEN <SomeComplexFormula>, $A$1="A-490", THEN <SomeOtherCompleXFormula>, $A$1="A-500", THEN <YetAnotherComplex...

alternate recipient
Hi all, I want to send a mail to another user, if mail can not be delivered to the original recipient. I use MAPI. Any little help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.. ismailgunes81@yahoo.com (ismail) wrote: >Hi all, > I want to send a mail to another user, if mail can not be delivered >to the original recipient. I use MAPI. Any little help will be >appreciated. Thanks a lot.. If mail cannot be delivered to one recipient it generates a non delivery report. You can't get a mail delivered from Person A (either local on Internet) to Person B, and then if B doesn't r...

removing a name from the auro-complete list
I seem to be having a problem deleting names from the auto-complete list when sending a new message. any suggestions please. You're highlighting the name and hitting Delete? What happens? "Richard Mahan Sr" <dmachen35@home.com> wrote in message news:%23zpzhhW5FHA.1464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I seem to be having a problem deleting names from the auto-complete list > when sending a new message. any suggestions please. Highlight the entry and right-click, scroll to delete. Is that what you need? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/...

Insert defined names in header/footer
Hello group, Is it possible to insert defined names in header or footer? You can insert Doc Variables into header/footer in Word. Since Excel doesn't have Doc Variables, I was hoping I can insert Doc Proproties. But cannot. It seems defined names can't be used in header/footer either. Can anyone please confirm, or provide an alternate? Thank you! You can insert builtin document properties and custom document properties into a header/footer. Requires VBA code. Sub Last_Saved_Footer() 'Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wk...

Macro for listing sheet names
I have this macro (inherited from another user) that will take all the sheet names and put it in a list. My problem is it lists the last sheet first. I need it skip the first sheet which is my master list and then starting with the next sheet put them in order. Sheet1, Sheet2 etc. I know there is something that is telling it what order to compile it, I just don't what. Thanks, cao Sub WorksheetNamesList() Dim wCtr As Long Dim rCtr As Long rCtr = 1 For wCtr = Worksheets.Count To 2 Step -1 rCtr = rCtr + 1 With ActiveSheet.Cells(rCtr, 1) ...

Coloring Alternative Rows only if data is there
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with [ =MOD(ROW(),2)=1] conditional formatting in it. I want to highlight this only if there data in there. I have googled if but cannot find the method can anyone post the method or provide me with link. It will be 2nd conditional formatting I think :l =AND(COUNTA(1:1)>0,MOD(ROW(),2)=1) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "BetaDocuments" <betadocuments@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c0c21d2b-e800-4c9a-b310-24a10793eb7c@g38g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a spreadsheet with [ =MOD(ROW(),2)=1] conditiona...

Alternatives for Speakers
I hope this isn=92t too off-topic. My computer is an HP laptop. Its audio output and input uses three jacks on the front edge of the device. I want to connect a pair of speakers to play a variety of music I've ripped and which are playable either WMP or WMC which are on the same computer. The problem is one of space and/or aesthetics. I can connect a pair of speakers to the audio output jacks on the laptop. But that puts a mess of wires right in front of my work area. So what I'm hoping to find is an alternate way of driving a set of speakers. For example, does a...

Server Name Wrong in ESM
I support a development environment and within this environment I have a single Exchange server. The environment does not get used often and many people have admin rights in the environment. However there are problems now and I do not know how long they have been going on. Exchange services will not start on this box and it throws an error "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant was unable to find the Exchange server object named 'EATL0DV001K' in the Active Directory. All known Domain Controllers were checked for this object". The server object exist in AD. However w...