Alternate Row Shading

I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, most of
them already typed.  Grateful if someone could advise how to shade all of
the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then dark-gray, etc.

Thanks!
AB

0
Alex_Bachrach

Hi
see:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Alex_Bachrach wrote:
> I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows,
> most of them already typed.  Grateful if someone could advise how to
> shade all of the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then
> dark-gray, etc.
>
> Thanks!
> AB

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/4/2004 12:25:12 PM
hi,
see this site
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm

0
anonymous (74717)
10/4/2004 12:35:25 PM
You can use Conditional Formatting for that, using 2 conditions.  One
condition for odd numbered rows and another for even numbered rows...

1) Select the range of cells
2) Format > Conditional Formatting
3) Condition 1 > Formula Is, and enter the following formula:
=MOD(ROW(),2)=1
4) Choose your formatting for this condition
5) Click "Add"
6) Condition 2 > Formula Is, and enter the following formula:
=MOD(ROW(),2)=0
7) Choose your formatting for this condition
8) Click "OK'

Hope this helps!

In article <uML3dvgqEHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
 "Alex_Bachrach" <alex_bachrach(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, most of
> them already typed.  Grateful if someone could advise how to shade all of
> the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then dark-gray, etc.
>
> Thanks!
> AB
0
domenic22 (716)
10/4/2004 12:36:03 PM
Thanks Domenic- worked like a charm!

AB

"Domenic" <domenic22@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> You can use Conditional Formatting for that, using 2 conditions.  One
> condition for odd numbered rows and another for even numbered rows...
>
> 1) Select the range of cells
> 2) Format > Conditional Formatting
> 3) Condition 1 > Formula Is, and enter the following formula:
> =MOD(ROW(),2)=1
> 4) Choose your formatting for this condition
> 5) Click "Add"
> 6) Condition 2 > Formula Is, and enter the following formula:
> =MOD(ROW(),2)=0
> 7) Choose your formatting for this condition
> 8) Click "OK'
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> In article <uML3dvgqEHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
>  "Alex_Bachrach" <alex_bachrach(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, most
of
> > them already typed.  Grateful if someone could advise how to shade all
of
> > the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then dark-gray, etc.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > AB

0
Alex_Bachrach

Can't Scroll (Upwards) Past Row 144
This is quite possibly the weirdest thing I've ever seen Excel 97 do. just received a monthly inventory report from our storage facility, an I went to extract all our (my departments) data from the master sheet Select those rows, copy, open a new workbook, and paste. All well an good. Scroll to the bottom of the sheet to update some details that I notice were incorrect. Update fine. Start scrolling upwards slowly, to vie the rest of the list. All well and good. Reach row 144 (at the top of the screen). Stops. I scroll down the back up again... Stops. PgUp. Stops. Arrow keys. Stops. I s...

Last row + rank help
I am running Excel 2003 and I am trying figure out how I can find the last row of data in one sheet and use that range to calculate rank on a separate sheet. lr = Cells.Find("*", Cells(Rows.Count, Columns.Count) _ , , , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Opal" <tmwelton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:efea394d-9b5d-4c39-9150-5b1252bbe40b@c28g2000vbc.googlegroups.com... >I am running Excel 2003 and I am trying figure out > how I can find the last row of data in...

MSCommCtrl alternative??
I would like to use the com port to communicate with an external device. MSComm32, an ActiveX control, fits the bill fine for this if you happen to have a dialog open that can parent the control. That way, you can create a control variable of the Comm32 class and have access to all its glory. In my application, I have no dialog that hosts the control. I realize this exposes my ignorance of ActiveX and COM but is there a reasonably simple way to get access to an ActiveX control's functionality without having it reside in a dialog? Thanks in advance, Bob Bob Curry wrote: > I would ...

adding values from a newly inserted row
Hi~ I am trying to work on a spreadheet for work. I have two column from my spreadsheet that I need to work with. First, I am lookin through the spreadsheet row by row and any row that has the same valu in their Column B, I need to add together their values in Column W. A the same time, I need to keep count as to how many rows have the sam Column B value so that I can find the rows average score. I use average(w3:w9) to find the average score, but this only works when non of data is altered. If i insert a new row, the new row's values ar not calculated in. The data are grouped in...

deleting cetain rows that match a criteria
I was wondering how to do this. I am making a system for a library an wanted to delete all the overdue books automatically (and sent t another location). I have tried an advanced filter but this only hide the rows and doesnt delete them. I have a few ideas but im not sur how to go about them. I sort them by date so all overdue books are a the top, then create a function (COUNTIF) to count the number of cell with a date after todays. then maybe put this into a macro...telling i how many rows to be deleted from the top of the table. thanx for reading -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

formatting of row depending on cell value
Hello, I would like to accomplish the following: If a cell in Column A corresponds to a certain date, I would like to have the row that cell is located on to be formatted according to my wishes, in this case, a different fill colour (non-white) and a different text colour (non-black). Is this possible and if so, how? Thanks. Redbeard, This is what I came up with: If you can add a helper column. Then in the first cell in the row - Add conditional formatting Condition 1 "Formula Is" "=$A$3=$B$3" Select "Format" button, ...

move sent items to alternate folder dependant on sender email addr
Hi I have an issue, caused by having multiple mailboxes open in outlook, this is a business requirement with different email addresses (and domain names) for different business areas. (eg user1@dom1.com and user1@dom2.com) I am using outlook2003, backed by exchange 2003. I want to automatically place sent items in the correct sent items folder depending upon what email address (account) was used to send out an email. Whichever is the primary email account currently has all sent items in it. (eg sent from user1@dom1.com and user1@dom2.com) Although it is possible to manually just cop...

Alternative to
Hi all, Thanks for your help in advance. Well I am at nadir in terms of knowledge of MFC and any other GUI development thing, But I have to solve a Bug which is like that in a Window, a menu which appears on double right click should come up instead in single right click. It is using currently the following things to do the same ON_NOTIFY_REFLECT(NM_RCLICK, OnRclick) void CTreeInfoWnd::OnRclick(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) Earier I thought I should use the following ON_WM_RBUTTONDOWN() void CTreeInfoWnd::OnRButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point){ but here the problem is I need NM_LI...

Column to a row
I have a column of numbers. How do I transfer this column to a row? There must be a function that will allow it. Thanks, Sal and Eileen Have a look in the help index for TRANSPOSE -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Sal Iaccarino" <siaccarina@swfla.rr.com> wrote in message news:mkYLf.40977$g47.16942@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... >I have a column of numbers. How do I transfer this column to a row? There >must be a function that will allow it. > > Thanks, > Sal and Eileen > > I've done it with copy & paste, high light...

Inserting Rows into multiple worksheets
I have a number of linked worksheets & would like to know if its possible & how, to insert a row into one sheet it will auotmatically insert a row into the corresponding linked sheet with the same formatting. Ideally it might also allow for automatically updating the numbering (in the 1st column) similar to when inserting number bullets in word. Any suggestions & help appreciated Are you talking about separate files or multiple worksheets in the same file? If it's the latter, If you hold down the shift or control key and click on the tab for each worksheet you...

Can I create and syncronize alternate calendars on my pocket PC?
I use ActiveSync to syncronize my Home PC and Work PC with my PocketPC. Can I also create and synchronize these alternate calendars on my PocketPC and home/work PC? ActiveSync only syncs the default calendar. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM New Poll: What type of emai...

HIGHLIGHT ROW
Hello, Is there an easy way to highlight the row that you are working on? Thanks Doug Hi Doug Try this Add-in http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm Or Check out this webpage http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/highlightrow.html#HiLiteRetainColor -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Doug V" <dthmtlgod@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23PtOyEY8DHA.2028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there an easy way to highlight the row that you are working on? > > Thanks > Doug > > Hi Doug maybe Chip'...

Reports from rows
I need to send one row at a time (or multiple selected rows), on command via a button, to a printed, one record per page, report. I can send the record to another worksheet or a Word document. What is the best way to accomplish this? I am limited to working in Excel 97. Thanks in advance. If you're printing the report, maybe just applying data|filter autofilter and going through each unique entry would be sufficient (then print). Or just keep the headers(???), hide everything but the first data line, print, hide everything but the second, print. and so forth then show everythi...

Alternative to IF function
I have a formula that is using nested IFs, and it is beginning to becom unmanageable. First I am at the 7-deep limit, but otherwise I find the logic aspec hard to follow everytime I have to alter it. In VB there is *Select Case*, in C++ there is *switch*. Is there a VB *worksheet* function with similar functionality t these? (I've searched but can't find). something like: Code ------------------- =Case($A$1="A-325", THEN <SomeComplexFormula>, $A$1="A-490", THEN <SomeOtherCompleXFormula>, $A$1="A-500", THEN <YetAnotherComplex...

more rows highlight than I want
2010 Excel version. I sometimes am working on the spreadsheet and all of a sudden I click one row on the side and three or four rows are highlighted and the highlighted rows will not go away. If I press another row there are still the other highlighted rows. Hi, Two suggestions. First tap F8 and see if the problem goes away. Second there is a know bug in E2007 and this 'may' also be in 2010 but I not seen it posted. In E2007 for no apparent reason multiple cells get selected instead of a single cell, if you alter the zoom level up and then back to normal the problem...

Combine rows to print on one label
School Pupil ID LastName FirstName Grade Course/Grade Clear Creek 210310 Archer Heath 5 MUSIC S Clear Creek 210310 Archer Heath 5 SOC ST A Clear Creek 210310 Archer Heath 5 MATH B Clear Creek 210310 Archer Heath 5 RDG C Clear Creek 210310 Archer Heath 5 SCI/HEA D Clear Creek 210310 Archer Heath 5 CIT A I all this information to print on a SINGLE label. Using my Excel spreadsheet as my data source, when I set up my label, one label prints for each course. ...

Coloring Alternative Rows only if data is there
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with [ =MOD(ROW(),2)=1] conditional formatting in it. I want to highlight this only if there data in there. I have googled if but cannot find the method can anyone post the method or provide me with link. It will be 2nd conditional formatting I think :l =AND(COUNTA(1:1)>0,MOD(ROW(),2)=1) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "BetaDocuments" <betadocuments@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c0c21d2b-e800-4c9a-b310-24a10793eb7c@g38g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a spreadsheet with [ =MOD(ROW(),2)=1] conditiona...

alternate recipient
Hi all, I want to send a mail to another user, if mail can not be delivered to the original recipient. I use MAPI. Any little help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.. ismailgunes81@yahoo.com (ismail) wrote: >Hi all, > I want to send a mail to another user, if mail can not be delivered >to the original recipient. I use MAPI. Any little help will be >appreciated. Thanks a lot.. If mail cannot be delivered to one recipient it generates a non delivery report. You can't get a mail delivered from Person A (either local on Internet) to Person B, and then if B doesn't r...

Delete rows with true or false
Hi, I want to delete all the rows that contain the word true or false. How can I do this? Thanks Diana wrote: > Hi, > > I want to delete all the rows that contain the word true or false. How > can I do this? Can you sort on the column containing true or false, then select all the rows in one group and delete them? Or does it need to be automatic? -- Jordon If the data is in one column, you could apply data|filter|autofilter (in xl2003 menus) to that column. Show the rows that contain either True or False and delete the visible rows. Then remove the au...

Search and Replace, or Add New Row
I am using Excel 2003. I mistakenly posted this originally under General Questions. Worksheet1 contains columns (A) Invoice (B) Name (C) Address (D) P.O.# ... and others. I need to perform a search of column A using an invoice number and if it IS FOUND, then replace the entire row with new data. If the invoice number IS NOT FOUND, then I need to add a new row. Is there a simple way to do this? Try Sub Macro() Dim lngNewRow As Long Dim varFound As Variant Dim varSearch As Variant varSearch = InputBox("Enter Invoice Number") Set varFound = Columns...

search for value based on conditions of other cells in the same row?
I've been searching to see if I can figure out how to write an Excel formula that looks at another workbook and searches a table for a cell's value based on conditions of other cells in the same row. I'm afraid what I want might be too complicated though. Here's what I want to do as an example using the table below. Can I write a formula that searches another workbook table and if the QUEUE column contains "Appeal" and the SUBQUEUE column contains "No Subqueue" and the DSTR_NR column contains "1604" then it knows to go on to the next column, REGS...

Alternatives for Speakers
I hope this isn=92t too off-topic. My computer is an HP laptop. Its audio output and input uses three jacks on the front edge of the device. I want to connect a pair of speakers to play a variety of music I've ripped and which are playable either WMP or WMC which are on the same computer. The problem is one of space and/or aesthetics. I can connect a pair of speakers to the audio output jacks on the laptop. But that puts a mess of wires right in front of my work area. So what I'm hoping to find is an alternate way of driving a set of speakers. For example, does a...

Shading alternating rows for easy visibilty
I have a list of rooms in a house listed by row. The room labels are found in column A, and other room attributes are found in columns B, C, D, & E. (See attached file: example.xls) To aid in viewing, I can use auto formatting (List 1) to make every other row have grey fill color. If I use filtering to view only the rooms having wallpaper, then every other row is no longer shaded. I end up with adjacent rows that are shaded. Is there any way to always have every other row shaded no matter how the table is filtered? Attachment filename: example.xls Downlo...

Specifying certain columns in a row
Hi, Alright, so I have the following function: Code: -------------------- =IF(WEEKDAY(DATE(2005, 10, 15), 2) > 5,"WEEKEND","WEEKDAY") -------------------- The year, month, and day are in the 3 columns preceeding the "Weekend/Weekday" column. How would I go by specifying that the function should take the year, month, and day from columns B, C, and D, but -within that row-(so I can simply apply the same function to the entire column and not have to enter the date data manually in each row)? Can I? Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- kthxbai...

Why if I insert a blank row in a sheet does the auto complete, for
Please repost your question in the body of a message... In article <EE1E49B1-8DCE-4C83-A753-46AAF8543B6B@microsoft.com>, "Bylin" <Bylin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I have built a spreadsheet that uses the same names over and over but because I have an empty row between each pair of entries, the text doesn't fill in automatically when I start typing in a cell below a blank row. Any ideas? "JE McGimpsey" wrote: > Please repost your question in the body of a message... > > In article <EE1E49B1-8DCE-4C83-A753-46AAF8543B6B@microsoft.c...