Address Labels - Help!

The situation:

I work for a small business which has a large number of Excel wookboo
files, each of which holds the details of a customer.

Part of these details are - obviously - the name and address listin
for that customer, with the name and each line of the address bein
listed in seperate cells.

The problem:

The owner of the business has asked that I build up an Excel databas
of every 2004-2005 customer (well over a thousand), which lists th
name and address of each, in such a way that it can be printed directl
onto sticky labels if necessary.
Needless to say, trying to do this manually will take me all year, so
am posting this thread in the hope that somebody can suggest any way i
which I can speed this task up.

I had thought of simple cell referencing, that is to say starting a ne
workbook - the database - and referencing the required cells from eac
booking form on it.  The problem there is that whilst that will work
it is a manual operation that will take months.

Can anybody please help!

--
SmokingMirro
SmokingMirror's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1222

This sounds like a job for a MS Word mail merge, where the worksheet is
used to form mail prints according to your design.

View the Mail-Merge help in Word for ideas on how to.

Hope this helps

--
Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059

specifically is for printing labels using MS Word, with Excel
as the database.   A filter can be used to limit which names
will be printed.

---
HTH,

> SmokingMirror Wrote:
> > Part of these details are - obviously - the name and address listing
> > for that customer, with the name and each line of the address being
> > listed in seperate cells.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm afraid I can't get it to work as i
should.  The mail merge idea should probably function, but as far as
can see, I need to still manually select and edit every single recor
to make the labels.

Additionally, I don't seem to be able to get Mail Merge to actuall
extract the data I need from the Excel sheet.  I can get up a listin
of the data, but I can't get anything to populate onto the Wor
document.

The cells from each workbook I require are H3, H4, H5 and K6.

Can anybody please suggest anything that can help me automaticall
extract the contents of these cells on hundreds of different records
and put them into a single document, whether Excel or Word

--
SmokingMirro
SmokingMirror's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1222
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47289

In order to use mail merge you must have one worksheet,
that worksheet must be the first worksheet in the workbook
and each label generated must get it's data from a row on
that spreadsheet.

You appear to have the exact opposite of all requirements.
Seems that the system is very poorly designed, and that it
should have been a database application.   If these spreadsheets
were actually generated from some other system then you
should be getting your data from that source.

>The cells from each workbook I require are H3, H4, H5 and K6.

Not only do you not have cells in sheet you have them across
multiple workbook,   you have them in a column instead of a row.

You will have to write a macro to read the directory/directories
that the workbooks are in,  get the fields out of the worksheets
you need to get them out of.

--
---
HTH,

"SmokingMirror" <SmokingMirror.1wf8ya_1128503116.7755@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm afraid I can't get it to work as it
> should.  The mail merge idea should probably function, but as far as I
> can see, I need to still manually select and edit every single record
> to make the labels.
>
> Additionally, I don't seem to be able to get Mail Merge to actually
> extract the data I need from the Excel sheet.  I can get up a listing
> of the data, but I can't get anything to populate onto the Word
> document.
>
> The cells from each workbook I require are H3, H4, H5 and K6.
>

> Can anybody please suggest anything that can help me automatically
> extract the contents of these cells on hundreds of different records,
> and put them into a single document, whether Excel or Word?
>

> --
> SmokingMirror
> SmokingMirror's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12225
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472899

web address help
whats the web address for outlook so i can sign on? I have it stored on my home computer but dont have it here thanks Outlook doesn't have a web address unless you use an Exchange server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64da01c3e61b$58282fc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > whats the web address for outlook...

HELP!! Viewing email images

help!! smtp protocol error occurred
exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. receives fine. Still waiting for some relavent information so we can help you solve your problem. >-----Original Message----- >exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv >smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. >receives fine. > > >. > I had that problem, I telneted into the servers that the error occurred and found I was on a blacklist. Had to sumit to an open relay test, and bam, no more problems. ...

Help !!!!
I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep But i can't create mailboxes ??? Why??? some documentation please... What actually happens? What error do you get? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "A.dian´┐Ż" <Adian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31CB593F-F4DD-4CAB-9F4E-C2131BF7CF95@microsoft.com... > I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep > But i can't create mailboxes ??? > Why??? > some documentation...

Outlook 2003: Print address book
I'm running Outlook 2003 as a stand alone program without a network. I can't print the address book. The address book menu does not offer any print options including those found in the Help and Support and the MS Knowledge Base. It also doesn't offer the option to export/import. What am I missing here? Operating Windows XP Home SP2, IE 6 SP2, Outlook 2003. Thanks for any suggestion -- Phil pdischert@iname.com There is no address book in Outlook. There are lots of choices for ways to print your Contacts Folder: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/print.htm -- Russ V...

Help ! formatting data to text

form and query problem. please help.

Printing Non-Avery labels with Zebra TLP-3843
Hello. I'm trying to figure out the best way to print labels and tags for jewelry products using the Zebra 3843...example would be a rat-tail label (overall size: 9/16 x 4 7/16 with printable area of 9/16 x 2 1/2")...one half would be for bar code and other half would be for ILC description, price and store name. Is the label designer capable of doing this if you build a label from scratch? When I try to open the existing Zebra .lbl template it says "BarcodeBlaster style labels can not be edited with the Label Editor. See Store Operations documentation for assistance ...

Newbe help with a lookup
Hi, I&#8217;m trying to make some modifications to a salary matrix and I&#8217;m having trouble with a lookup. In column A I have a series of numbers from 0 to 30 representing pay grade steps where 0 represents a new employee and 30 represents an employee having completed 30 years of service. In column B I have an annual salary for each of the corresponding pay grade steps. I want to take a new salary and find the closest salary in column B and return the corresponding step number. For example if the new salary is $73,415.13 and the matrix shows step 15 is 73,205 and step 16 is 73...

HELP
We have an application that is used by over 8000 people worldwide. One of our users is just starting to have the following problem: Run-time error '-2147467259(80004005)': Method 'Add' of object 'CommandBarControls' failed I have read that this problem can be caused by trying to open the file in Internet Explorer. The user has told me that she has tried opening MS Excel and then the .xls file and she still gets the same problem when the file is trying to open. She is the only one that has had this problem. Could there be something wrong with her Excel settings or som...

Help with keeping inventory.
Hello Everyone. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I'm trying t come up with a way to keep inventory of product. Basically what I need is to keep track of the current inventory of items... and what I'd like is for different users to be able to ope the worksheet and enter the NUMBER OF PRODUCT they are removing at tha time.... and for the total inventory of each item to be adjuste accordingly. The only catch is - I'd like to be able to use the SAM CELL always -- that is - I want only one cell to be the one that i used to enter the amount of inventory being o...

Help with Outlook Automation
I launch Outlook form MS Access 2003 using the code under the double line. When I send the first email it works fine. But if I send another email everything freezes up. I have to use the task manager to Kill OUTLOOK. And then it is immediatly replace by another OUTLOOK session and the email window comes up. I was wondering if my code could be improved to prevent that from happening. Any suggestions please! RBollinger ======================================================= Private Sub Command11_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command11_Click Dim stDocName, mTO, mCC, mSu...

Dynamic chart labels
I am using a dynamic bar chart and want to add a label to an individua data point. Is there a way to do this so that the label follows th data point as the chart updates -- danoPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces A datalabel will follow the datapoint and update as appropriate. To add data labels to a series, double click the series and click on the Data Labels tab. To add data labels to a single point, select the series then the point (two single clicks), then double click on the point, and again click on the Data Labels tab. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Ex...

Help on CString to char*
Being a newbie to MFC, I am having problems on copying CString to a char* Below is my attempt but I getting this error below: ===================================================== Debug Assertion Failed! Program: C:\geac\GEACstatusptt.exe File: dbgheap.c Line: 1044 Expression: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData) Below is my code the way that I am doing now, look at switch 4 and this is where I call a DLL library "McaAddPageMember" ====================================================== char cPAGER_CODE[16]; CPsnstatuspttApp::m_LogTrace.WriteLine("CPsnstatuspttView::Call_Page_M...

Help replacing text with Yes or No
I have a field formated as general. The field contains either 1 or is left blank. If the field has a 1 I want to replace it with Yes and if the field is blank I want to replace it with No. any help is appreciated. -- Jerry Save your data and use a copy for this exercize........... Assuming your data in Column A, put this in B1 and copy down........ =IF(A1=1,"Yes","No") Then highlight the column and do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values to get rid of the formulas..........then delete column A if you wish....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jerry Arnone, ...

How do I get total value data labels in a stacked bar chart?
I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if so, how?? Hi, This should help http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy blemerson wrote: > I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total > value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if > so, how?? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks, Andy. The CFO is thrilled. Heather "Andy Pope" wrote: > Hi, >...

Pub2K Help does not work
I have Pub2K. Recently I've updated my Office 2K with SP1 and, I think, SP3 (whatever was available on MS site). Today, I noticed that Help in Publisher does not work. Every time I try to see Help, I'm getting this Internet Explorer Script Error Message: <An error has occurred in the Script on this page. Line 1, Char 1, Error: Object doesn't support the property or method, Code 0, URL mk: @MSITStore:C:/Program...> What's going on? Did Office update caused this problem or something else is a culprit? How can I get Pub2K Help work again? Thanks for any suggestions. P.S. Hel...

help needed on multiple option buttons
Hi, I am trying to use option buttons in a few different locations in Excel. In one cell i want three options and three different buttons. In another locations, two options with their own two buttons. However, the 5 buttons act as 5 linked options, so i can only have one or another button selected at a time. I would like one of the first three selected and one of the next two and so on. Can anybody help me work out how to resolve this. Thanks, If you used optionbuttons from the Forms toolbar, put a nice groupbox (also from the forms toolbar) around each group. If you use optionbuttons ...

Simple? Help Needed with Excel Chart
Hi, I have an Excel document that lists events that happened according to its year. Each event is defined by a number from 1 to 10, which are listed on the Y axis. I am trying to create a chart that shows the events by year (in a line graph) so that the data points line up according to the year. I have set the years on the X axis. First, what I need is to show is that the years show up to scale (not equidistant). I think I've managed to figure this out by setting the date to be the same for each year (For example, 1/1/1985, 1/1/1989, etc). Is there a way to have the chart show ...

When typing labels how do I see the label outline
I need to type alot of labels, how do I see the outline of the labels ?? I am using Micosoft Office Word 2003. Your label template is presumably a Word table. Turn on Show Gridlines (I don't remember where in the 2003 Tables menu to find it). On May 10, 1:21=A0pm, leema10 <leem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to type alot of labels, how do I see the outline of the labels ?? = =A0I > am using Micosoft Office Word 2003. Table | Show Gridlines. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps....

Auto check email address
When typing in the TO: box, a drop-down list pops up with a list of names to choose from. Is there any way to edit the names in this list? Thanks for your help. I don't think there is. All that is is a list of recent addresses that you used. Same concept as "My Recent Documents" in Windows. I am wondering now if there is a way to reset it? "Pasbrig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1444101c4182b$00e2a410$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When typing in the TO: box, a drop-down list pops up with > a list of names to choose from. > &g...

Help: Axim Sync Problem PocketPC2003 w/ Money2004
I've tried many many time of uninstalling and re-installing but just can't get it to sync w/ money2004. I've been running Money2004 for a while w/ pocket pc 2002. I have a Dell Axim. Just last week i've updated to PocketPC 2003. I've installed the update for the pocketpc but the option on the Active Sync is there but i am not able to selected it. I even as far as uninstall Money2004 and pocketpc money and reinstall, the option for it to select to sync is still unavailable to select. Wonder if anyone knows of a way to get to sync. Thanks Randy ...