Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc

Good morning all!

I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a
problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure.

I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create
test data files.

I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a
filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was
created in the same folder.

Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook
(with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from
scratch) , created new code modules and copied the code first into Notepad,
then into the new workbook.

The problem still occurred.

Finally, I noticed that it even happened when I did a simple File Save As
from the menu, so I'm fairly certain it isn't my code that's causing the
problem.

Could my Excel document template be corrupted in some way?

Can anybody think of any tests or checks I could carry out on my workbook to
look for corruptions that might be causing these additional files to be
creaed? I'm assuming that they're TEMP files that are being created, but not
deleted, during the Save As process.

Yours in desperation, and thanks in advance

Pete Rooney

0
PeterRooney (105)

Oh, and by the way, frequently, the copy files created often throw up an
application error and crash Excel, whether opened from within Excel or
lanched from Explorer, leading me to think even more that they're corrupted.

How has this happened when I started a new workbook from scratch, though?

The problem doesn't happen when I File Save As any other workbooks.

Pete

"Peter Rooney" wrote:

> Good morning all!
>
> I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a
> problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure.
>
> I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create
> test data files.
>
> I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a
> filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was
> created in the same folder.
>
> Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook
> (with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from
> scratch) , created new code modules and copied the code first into Notepad,
> then into the new workbook.
>
> The problem still occurred.
>
> Finally, I noticed that it even happened when I did a simple File Save As
> from the menu, so I'm fairly certain it isn't my code that's causing the
> problem.
>
> Could my Excel document template be corrupted in some way?
>
> Can anybody think of any tests or checks I could carry out on my workbook to
> look for corruptions that might be causing these additional files to be
> creaed? I'm assuming that they're TEMP files that are being created, but not
> deleted, during the Save As process.
>
> Yours in desperation, and thanks in advance
>
> Pete Rooney

0
PeterRooney (105)
8/11/2005 9:02:03 AM
When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
test.  If that doesn't help, maybe it's a permission problem.  (I'd double
check.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

My money file has broken
I'm using the latest version of Microsoft Money Standard. Everything was going quite well and I loved it. Then my computer froze while balancing my budget and I had to restart. When I finished booting, it said my money file was corrupt and couldn't recover it. Luckily I had a backup from the day before. I recovered from the backup and my account lists seems accurate, but everything else is strange -- My debt planner specifies that I am putting X amount towards debt, yet my budget says Y amount. THey don't match anymore, and of course I can't edit the Debt Reduction amount tha...

about understanding the isolated storage file
Hi! Assume I have one exe assembly that is using three other assemblies dll. Assume we have a method called Test in the exe assembly that is not within any assembly dll. This method Test is acessing the isolated storage file and in addition all three assemblies dll is also accessing this isolated storage file how can this be done ? Assume also that we want to have it per Machine. The doc says: "Assembly/Machine This method created a store to keep information that is specific to the calling assembly and the local machine." So my question is if one definition of iso...

how do i open zipped files
Hello, I am having a problem trying to open a file in excel. This file is ending in xls. When i go into windows to open the file i get a message saying to either select a program from the list or use the web service. Please help. How about opening the file from Excel with File, Open Your install of Excel should have set the file types for you. My computer, Tools, Folder Options, File typesl --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/e...

update paths when files are moved
I am using access to keep a database to track projects that my company is working on. I have a number of tables, including ProjectDescriptions and ProjectFiles - ProjectFiles keeps track of the paths of all of the important files for each project. ProjectFiles is a child to ProjectDescriptions, holding the paths of a number of files for each project. Files often get moved around apart from the database - my question is, is there a way to link the files to the [paths] field in ProjectFiles so that if a file gets moved manually it automatically updates the .mdb file? What other solutions would ...

Contracts additional Features
First suggestion is to allow decimal points in the Quantity field on the contract line. Second Feature, provide a mechanism to allow users to adjust pricing or quantity on contract line. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busin...

DOC> files
cannot open a DOC. FILE, IT SAYS TO CHANGE SOMETHING IN FOLDERS Hi, Eric - see my reply to your later post. Eric wrote: > cannot open a DOC. FILE, IT SAYS TO CHANGE SOMETHING IN > FOLDERS ...

Opening .mdi Files
I installed the trial version of Office 2007 Small Business, and I still can't open .mdi files. I went to the control panel to change features, and it has X'ed out all office tools features, and I can't convince it to let me have them. Is this normal? The trial download literature says it has all available features. -- geickmei see if you have any control via safe mode. office is functional in safe mode as well. -- db·´¯`·...¸><)))º> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional - Systems Analyst - Database Developer - Accoun...

Copying the Editing in one file to Another opened XLS file
hi! I have been given a task to develop some plugin for excel that will copy any type of editing in the current excel file to the other opened excel file. Is it possible. If so then please guide me how to achieve it. Thanks in advance. Ahmad Jalil Qarshi Depends on what you mean by editing - Workbooks("sourcebooks.xls).Worksheets(1).cells.copy ' then pick your poision: Workbooks("Otherbook.xls").Worksheets(1).Cells.PasteSpecial xlFormats Workbooks("Otherbook.xls").Worksheets(1).Cells.PasteSpecial xlValues Workbooks("Otherbook.xls").Worksheets(1).Ce...

Virtual PC Additions Additions
Hey there people of wonderland. I've been trying to install the Virtual PC Additions after installing VPC 6.0.156.0 2007 and setting up two Virtual PCs with Windows 7 and Linux Feroda Core, Host being XP Pro 2002 SP3. When selecting "Action" | "Install/Update ..." nothing happens. then following the manual steps stated in the summary of "If the installation does not automatically start..." then again, nothing happens. Can anyone please help? Many thanks, Jo Johann wrote: > Hey there people of wonderland. > I've been trying to install the Virtual ...

File Download Error
We recently had to do a database reattachment and subsequent new CRM 4.0 install for a customer who experienced a virus attack. Everything is stable and working but whenever we try to hit one of the Notes>>File attachment - we get a File Download Error and it won't find the link to the original document. We can't attach new files either. Anybody see this before? ...

Large file edit
How can I retrieve and edit a large text (735 mb) file using Publisher 2003? My computer have 1024mb (SDRAM) memory. Each time I try to load the file via the "from exiting publication" I get the message "Windows is low on memory. save your work and close other programs before you continue working" (all programs are closed)! How much memory does Publisher 2003 require, or what is it's maximum file size capability? Turn off "script blocking" in Norton. Does this error occur in safe mode? Could be a printer driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office....

copying files with query(s), the query is still linked to the ori.
When copying or saving a file with a new name that contains query(s), the query keeps linked to the original file. How can the query be copied and linked to the new file. How can this be overcome? ...

Linking to Another Excel File (File Name Changes)
Hi, I have 2 separate Excel file worksheets. Basically, one file is updated each month and will have a different name (example: File052007 for May, File062007 for June, File072007 for July, etc.). Currently, I'm trying to link cells in my other file to the updated file, but I don't know how to set the link so that it can change each month. I was trying the concatenate or (A1&A2&A3) options to try to link cells together, but haven't had much luck. Here is what the formula should look like: ='C:\FOLDER\[File052007.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 I made 2 cells in this worksheet ...

check for file before import
How would I check for a file in a directory prior to importing it? The file is stored on a server. \\server01\importdir\importfile.txt Would like to check if it is a location and check and provide an alternate if not found there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks If Dir(filename) > "" Then ' import your file or whatever Else ' messagebox or whatever End if -- hth, SusanV "tecas" <ted.castillo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1178627861.007809.97020@e51g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > How would I check for a file in a directo...

additional SQL instances/best practices
Hello: Like most firms, we create test databases for clients that contain a copy of the client's live company's data. Someone suggested that we should first create a separate SQL instance, stating that Best Practices maintains that it is best to have a separate instance of GP SQL databases. Does Best Practices really maintain that it is best to have a separate instance as a Great Plains test environment? Also, isn't it much harder to maintain a test environment if the test company is in a separate instance of SQL server? And, if a client does have a separate instance of...

Repair a Money data file? MS Money or MSN Money? #2

how do i create a formula to give a workday date?
I am trying to set up a worksheet the gives me a date during the work week that is 5 work days, 10 workdays, etc from the date that is entered. I also want the cells to result in TBD until the first date is input. Here is an example of the formula I created that gives me TBD but not a workday date. =IF(H28>0,H28+14,"TBD") Hi, Try this =IF(H28>0,WORKDAY(H28,14),"TBD") Note the workday formula will take a third argument that is a range that contains and holiday dates you want to exclude =IF(H28>0,WORKDAY(H28,14,A1:A10),"TBD") ...

automatically saving a workbook as today's date
I have set up a template and run a macro that copies information fro one workbook to another, then saves the changes and then closes. Thi is fine, but before the workbook closes I am trying to get the macro t rename the template with today's date, but without success. I have pu =today() in cell a1 and try to get the vba to look at this cell befor closing but it just saves the template as (a1).xls instead of today' date. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong. Your help will be gratefully received regards Steve Jackso -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: ...

Barcode Addition
I have acquired a Truetype barcode font. Is there a way to create and include address barcodes in or out of Publisher? -- Maurice <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have acquired a Truetype barcode font. Is there a way to create and > include address barcodes in or out of Publisher? An article: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP011269721033.aspx -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher I would suggest that you read up on barcodes as there is way more to it than having a barcode font.. -- Mike Hall MVP - Windows Sh...

Missing / corrupt file
Hi I've just decided to go back to using Outlook rather than Outlook Express (to synchonise with work calender) however when I try to run the program it announces that it cannot find the file msspc.ecf under the directory ADDINS or it is incorrect and then stops after I've responded to its prompt. I have tried reloading Outlook/Office with no success and I've tried copying the files from the CD direct to the appropriate directory but the problem still exists. Any ideas on how to sort this problem? Regards Dolores ps I'm going to try rebooting but don't hold up much ...

Additional Licenses
I recently purchased licenses for 2 additional lanes for a client's RMS Store Ops system. They were sent a new (parallel) dongle. When they try to log on to POS on the 2 additional registers the system acts as if it is still only licensed for 1 lane & says register 1 already logged on. Is there something they must to to have RMS recognize the additional licenses? You might try uninstalling the dongle driver( rainbow) and reinstalling it. So it sees the new one. "Ron Bender" <Ron Bender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6081F9C-FE5C-4146-A01C-9DB6...

saved emails and a crash
I have lots of saved emails on Windows Live Mail. If my computer were to crash, where are my emails? Mail messages(and news) are stored on your hard drive in the Windows Live Mail Message store. The Messages store contains folders/subfolders usually similar named as the folders you see in WLM. Mail messages are stored as *.eml files and news messages as *.nws files. You can find the location of your messages store via - Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance/Store Folder -> The default location if not changed by the user is C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Loc...

calculate data from a different file
Is it possible to have a cell return a value from another file that is saved on a server without that file being opened. Here is the formula I am using: =COUNTIF(OFFSET('P:\Manpower\[Copy of Manpower 10-25 to 12-30.xls]Daily MP'!$A:$A,0,MATCH(F$3,'P:\Ohio\Manpower\[Copy of Manpower 10-25 to 12-30.xls]Daily MP'!$5:$5,0)-1),"*" & $B5 & "*") but all I get is #VALUE! if this file is not open on the PC I'm using. ...

How do I create separate inboxes for each e-mail account?
I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to create separate inboxes for each e-mail account. NuttyERnurse schrieb am 09.02.2005 17:13: > I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to create > separate inboxes for each e-mail account. Create fo every email-account a subfolder in your inbox. Then create a rule and delay incoming mails in the particular folder. -- Viele Grüße Christian Göller NuttyERnurse <NuttyERnurse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to ...

Help with batch file
I have about 40 different shortcuts in various folders that have the same icon, let's call it icon A. I would like to change icon A to a different icon, icon B. I know I can make the changes individually, shortcut by shortcut, but am wondering if a batch file might do the trick in one full sweep. If anyone can tell me how to create such a batch file, in other words, the various lines needed, I would be most grateful. T.i.a. George P.S. Icon A is inside an exe file, Icon B is an ico file. George wrote: > I have about 40 different shortcuts in various folder...