adding to a number containing text

Hi,
=(sum(A3+1) normally works great for me but now I am dealing with a number
which contains text ie 'PE10000', how do I write a formula to add 1 to this
to give 'PE10001'?

Many thanks.
Rick

0
RDS9728 (39)

If the text is always 3 letters to the left of the number

=IF(ISERR(--(A3)),LEFT(A3,2)&MID(A3,3,255)+1,A3+1)

if the text is always to the left of the number but can differ when it comes
to numbers of characters

=IF(ISERR(--(A3)),LEFT(A3,MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3)),FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3)))-1)&MID(A3,MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3)),FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3))),255)+1,A3+1)

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"R D S" wrote:

> Hi,
> =(sum(A3+1) normally works great for me but now I am dealing with a number
> which contains text ie 'PE10000', how do I write a formula to add 1 to this
> to give 'PE10001'?
>
> Many thanks.
> Rick

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
1/20/2005 9:21:02 PM
Correction

"If the text is always 3 letters to the left of the number"

should have been

If the text is always 2 letters to the left of the number

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> If the text is always 3 letters to the left of the number
>
> =IF(ISERR(--(A3)),LEFT(A3,2)&MID(A3,3,255)+1,A3+1)
>
> if the text is always to the left of the number but can differ when it comes
> to numbers of characters
>

> =IF(ISERR(--(A3)),LEFT(A3,MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3)),FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3)))-1)&MID(A3,MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3)),FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A3))),255)+1,A3+1)
>
> entered with ctrl + shift & enter
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "R D S" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > =(sum(A3+1) normally works great for me but now I am dealing with a number
> > which contains text ie 'PE10000', how do I write a formula to add 1 to this
> > to give 'PE10001'?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> > Rick

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
1/20/2005 9:25:09 PM
Select Cells to be effected:
At the Menu, select Format, Custom, in the box type in:
"PE1"000#    and OK out.will work up to PE19999.
HTH

"R D S" <rds@members.v21.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> =(sum(A3+1) normally works great for me but now I am dealing with a number
> which contains text ie 'PE10000', how do I write a formula to add 1 to
this
> to give 'PE10001'?
>
> Many thanks.
> Rick

0
jmay (696)
1/21/2005 2:03:17 AM
One way:
Assumes PE10000 in A3

In A4 enter: =IF(A3<>"","PE"&ROW()+9997,"")
Fill Down

R D S wrote:
> Hi,
> =(sum(A3+1) normally works great for me but now I am dealing with a
number
> which contains text ie 'PE10000', how do I write a formula to add 1
to this
> to give 'PE10001'?
>
> Many thanks.
> Rick

0
tworsrus (23)

Seperating text/Numbers
Fantastic , thanks, that has done the tric -- scottymellot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scottymelloty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=380 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27112 ...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box
I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific worksheet in my Excel file. I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to generate the text for my text box using the following formula: ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text box text: =concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6) ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6 I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid refe...

When adding attachments...

Count cells that Contain text
Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum tha contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT" I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to coun cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number o cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text a well. You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta And -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =COUNTIF(Range,"*ACT*") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private...

search telephone numbers outlook 2007
Please help I cant seem to search for telephone numbers once they have been altered in a hyperlink ie when you type tel:0111122223 followed by either a space or return in an appointment. even using the advanced search criteria? can telephone number be searched? you could search for tel No's in earlier versions of outlook what am I doing wrong. Thank you KC ...

My column headers are numbers
Hello there, The column headings in my spreadsheet are numbers not letters. What have I done? Thank you in advance for your help. Judith Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck 'R1C1 Reference Style' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JudithJubilee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:097301c4d871$66a88240$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello there, > The column headings in my spreadsheet are numbers not > letters. What have I done? > > Thank you in advance for your help. > Judith ...

NUMBERS
HOW DO I PUT A ZERO IN FRONT OF MY NUMBERS EVERY TIME I GO TO NEXT CELL THE ZERO DISAPERS AND A COMMA APEARS I DONT WANT THIS?? HEL THANKS Hi first: please turn of your CAPS-Lock. It's considered as shouting in newsgroups Not quite sure about your issue but ry 'Tools - options - Edit' and uncheck 'fixed Decimals' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany LILA wrote: > HOW DO I PUT A ZERO IN FRONT OF MY NUMBERS EVERY TIME I GO TO NEXT > CELL THE ZERO DISAPERS AND A COMMA APEARS I DONT WANT THIS??? > > HELP > > THANKS Hi Lila! What numbers are you...

Custom Number Format #4
hi there, I�ve got a list of equipments that are tagged with the company� inventory number. Each item has its own tag which�s composed by eigh characters and the first is separated by an "-" , like this example *1-0012345*. Unfortunately the list is generated by an old system that can hold onl 12 character tags and doesn�t support any other symbols. Therefore, it puts a couple of ZEROS to replace the " - " symbol, an another couple of ZEROS at the end to sum up 12 characters. In the end the tags look like: *100001234500*. How can I format the tag column to display the o...

Specific Font that be contained within Office 2004 do not appear to Font Box on Mac OS X 10.3(panther). #2
There are "Gulim.ttf" and "Batang.ttf" Within Font Folder in Office 2004 Folder (Application folder or Office 2004 CD) These fonts are Window True type Font and Hangul font (using Korean) I have known the font automatically be installed in Font Box when Office 2004 setup. After I had selected these fonts beside All Font in collection window of font box then used disable button, These fonts disappeared in font Box. Perhaps it is rightful!. However When I added these fonts repeatedly, Only The "Batang.ttf" font appeared on Font Box window. unfortunately The &...

Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages.
How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages. -- "J. J." JDJ <jj@invalid.invalid> wrote: > How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in > incoming HTML messages. I would think that the sender controls the text size for incoming HTML messages. -- Brian Tillman On the View Drop Down of an open message window there is a Text Size menu bar which when you mouse on it gives you 5 choices. I just want it to default to largest so I don't have to go through that with each new message I read. ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Sort by: Site ID/Item Number/Bin for Stock Count Entry Screen
Would like an additional sort selection in the Stock Count Entry Screen. Sort by: Site ID/Item Number/Bin ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7e69d84a-032e-4f61...

sorting numbers in a column
Problem: The numbers I am sorting are composed of various numbers of integers, some having four digits, others five or six, and so on. I would like to have them sort by number regardless of number of digits. Will Excel let me do this? example: presently it looks like this: 3004 12001656 530393505 2200498378 and I really want it to sort like this: 12001656 2200498378 3004 530393505 Can this be done? -- kailuamike ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kailuamike's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29558 View...

Adding alternate columns

Adding fields from a different query

Change default font for text boxes in Publisher
Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft Publisher fo all publications? Setting Text Defaults using Normal.pub by Brian Kvalheim http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "JennyN" <JennyN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:927C7AFC-F92D-419F-B49E-DA5B444956E1@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft...

Limit number of Duplicates
I have a registry for a competition...each team can only register four groups for a particular event, and three for another, and five for a third event. All events are seperate tables, related by Team Name. I have set the team name field to allow for duplicates, but am curious if I can limit the number of duplicates to the allowed number of entries. Can I set some sort of rule to allow for duplicates, not to exceed 4 (or any given number)? Should this rule or validation be set at the table level, or in the form? Thanks. On Jan 20, 6:44=A0pm, DeputySmith...@gmail.com wrote: > I have a ...