Adding Non-Contiguous Ranges

Hi,

I am having trouble trying to work out how to sum some non-contiguous ranges
in Excel 2000.

The data is on sheet 1.  It is budget data for a number of employees.
There are 12 cells (one for each month), for four different categories, for
each employee.

Eg, the category 1 (billing) data for employee 1 would have a range
something like:
d6;d22;d46;h6;622;h46;l6;l22;l46;p6;p22;p46
category 2 is one column over and would be...
e6;e22;e46;i6;i22 etc.

and so on for each category for each of 14 or so employees.

To make this more difficult, because employees are constantly changing,
there is no clear pattern to the rows that belong to each employee.

Is there an easy way for me to sum these ranges without having to click on
each and every cell holding down CTRL?  If I do this, and someone deletes a
row - it would wreck the totals, wouldn't it?

If I could have a list of the row numbers for each employee, and the column
letters, and could combine these into cell references that would be great,
but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could do this?

Cheers,
Caroline (COE)

0
Coe1 (6)

It is difficult to imagine that this is possible if there is no pattern. Is
there not any details in other cells that might indicate which cells to SUM?

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"COE" <COE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble trying to work out how to sum some non-contiguous
ranges
> in Excel 2000.
>
> The data is on sheet 1.  It is budget data for a number of employees.
> There are 12 cells (one for each month), for four different categories,
for
> each employee.
>
> Eg, the category 1 (billing) data for employee 1 would have a range
> something like:
> d6;d22;d46;h6;622;h46;l6;l22;l46;p6;p22;p46
> category 2 is one column over and would be...
> e6;e22;e46;i6;i22 etc.
>
> and so on for each category for each of 14 or so employees.
>
> To make this more difficult, because employees are constantly changing,
> there is no clear pattern to the rows that belong to each employee.
>
> Is there an easy way for me to sum these ranges without having to click on
> each and every cell holding down CTRL?  If I do this, and someone deletes
> row - it would wreck the totals, wouldn't it?
>
> If I could have a list of the row numbers for each employee, and the
column
> letters, and could combine these into cell references that would be great,
> but I'm not sure if that is possible.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how I could do this?
>
> Cheers,
> Caroline (COE)

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/13/2006 10:05:55 AM
Hi Bob,

Each employee has between 1-3 rows of information, but there isn't a pattern
to these row numbers that covers all employees.

If I could just enter this row information in some cells, and the columns
into another cell and combine these into cell references that I could use,
then I would be rolling, but I don't know if that is possible.

eg. Employee 1 has rows 6, 22, 46.
Employee 2 - 7, 23, 47
Employee 3 - 11
Employee 4 - 12, 28, 52

Somehow I'm getting a feeling there is no easy way to do this,
COE
"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> It is difficult to imagine that this is possible if there is no pattern. Is
> there not any details in other cells that might indicate which cells to SUM?
>
> --
>  HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

> "COE" <COE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having trouble trying to work out how to sum some non-contiguous
> ranges
> > in Excel 2000.
> >
> > The data is on sheet 1.  It is budget data for a number of employees.
> > There are 12 cells (one for each month), for four different categories,
> for
> > each employee.
> >
> > Eg, the category 1 (billing) data for employee 1 would have a range
> > something like:
> > d6;d22;d46;h6;622;h46;l6;l22;l46;p6;p22;p46
> > category 2 is one column over and would be...
> > e6;e22;e46;i6;i22 etc.
> >
> > and so on for each category for each of 14 or so employees.
> >
> > To make this more difficult, because employees are constantly changing,
> > there is no clear pattern to the rows that belong to each employee.
> >
> > Is there an easy way for me to sum these ranges without having to click on
> > each and every cell holding down CTRL?  If I do this, and someone deletes
> > row - it would wreck the totals, wouldn't it?
> >
> > If I could have a list of the row numbers for each employee, and the
> column
> > letters, and could combine these into cell references that would be great,
> > but I'm not sure if that is possible.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions how I could do this?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Caroline (COE)

0
Coe1 (6)
1/15/2006 10:57:02 PM
Well, for the time being I have decided to name all the ranges, using the
Autofilter to make it easier to select all of the correct cells.

Maybe there is an easier way, but I guess it will be via VBA and I can't
guarantee that there will be anyone in the office who will know even very
simple VBA in the future.

So to keep it simple to maintain, I guess I'll have to put up with lots of
named ranges.

COE

"COE" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Each employee has between 1-3 rows of information, but there isn't a pattern
> to these row numbers that covers all employees.
>
> If I could just enter this row information in some cells, and the columns
> into another cell and combine these into cell references that I could use,
> then I would be rolling, but I don't know if that is possible.
>
> eg. Employee 1 has rows 6, 22, 46.
> Employee 2 - 7, 23, 47
> Employee 3 - 11
> Employee 4 - 12, 28, 52
>
> Somehow I'm getting a feeling there is no easy way to do this,
> COE
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > It is difficult to imagine that this is possible if there is no pattern. Is
> > there not any details in other cells that might indicate which cells to SUM?
> >
> > --
> >  HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >
> > (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct)
> >
> > "COE" <COE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am having trouble trying to work out how to sum some non-contiguous
> > ranges
> > > in Excel 2000.
> > >
> > > The data is on sheet 1.  It is budget data for a number of employees.
> > > There are 12 cells (one for each month), for four different categories,
> > for
> > > each employee.
> > >
> > > Eg, the category 1 (billing) data for employee 1 would have a range
> > > something like:
> > > d6;d22;d46;h6;622;h46;l6;l22;l46;p6;p22;p46
> > > category 2 is one column over and would be...
> > > e6;e22;e46;i6;i22 etc.
> > >
> > > and so on for each category for each of 14 or so employees.
> > >
> > > To make this more difficult, because employees are constantly changing,
> > > there is no clear pattern to the rows that belong to each employee.
> > >
> > > Is there an easy way for me to sum these ranges without having to click on
> > > each and every cell holding down CTRL?  If I do this, and someone deletes
> > > row - it would wreck the totals, wouldn't it?
> > >
> > > If I could have a list of the row numbers for each employee, and the
> > column
> > > letters, and could combine these into cell references that would be great,
> > > but I'm not sure if that is possible.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions how I could do this?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Caroline (COE)

0
Coe1 (6)
1/16/2006 6:09:02 AM
Assuming that D6:S100 contains your data...

1) Specify which rows to sum...

A1:

=CELL("row",D6)

A2:

=CELL("row",D22)

A3:

=CELL("row",D46)

Here, Rows 6, 22, and 46 will be summed.

2) Specify which category to sum...

B1:  1

1 equals Category 1 (Columns D, H, L, and P)

2 equals Category 2 (Columns E, I, M, and Q)

3 equals Category 3 (Columns F, J, N, and R)

4 equals Category 4 (Columns G, K, O, and S)

3) Then, try the following formula which needs to be confirmed with
CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER...

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(D6:S100),A1:A3,0)),IF(MOD(COLUMN(D6:S100)-COLU
MN(D6),4)+1=B1,D6:S100)))

Note that it allows you to delete rows.

Hope this helps!

In article <BDEBCA08-DB7A-423D-B27A-3ABD761B1552@microsoft.com>,
 COE <COE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Well, for the time being I have decided to name all the ranges, using the
> Autofilter to make it easier to select all of the correct cells.
>
> Maybe there is an easier way, but I guess it will be via VBA and I can't
> guarantee that there will be anyone in the office who will know even very
> simple VBA in the future.
>
> So to keep it simple to maintain, I guess I'll have to put up with lots of
> named ranges.
>
> COE
>
> "COE" wrote:
>
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > Each employee has between 1-3 rows of information, but there isn't a
> > pattern
> > to these row numbers that covers all employees.
> >
> > If I could just enter this row information in some cells, and the columns
> > into another cell and combine these into cell references that I could use,
> > then I would be rolling, but I don't know if that is possible.
> >
> > eg. Employee 1 has rows 6, 22, 46.
> > Employee 2 - 7, 23, 47
> > Employee 3 - 11
> > Employee 4 - 12, 28, 52
> >
> > Somehow I'm getting a feeling there is no easy way to do this,
> > COE
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > It is difficult to imagine that this is possible if there is no pattern.
> > > Is
> > > there not any details in other cells that might indicate which cells to
> > > SUM?
> > >
> > > --
> > >  HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >
> > > (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "COE" <COE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > ranges

> > > for

> > > column

0
domenic22 (716)
1/16/2006 4:16:42 PM
Thanks Domenic,

I will have to try this out.  (Catering for the data being on a different
sheet of the workbook to the calculation).

Cheers
COE

"Domenic" wrote:

> Assuming that D6:S100 contains your data...
>
> 1) Specify which rows to sum...
>
> A1:
>
> =CELL("row",D6)
>
> A2:
>
> =CELL("row",D22)
>
> A3:
>
> =CELL("row",D46)
>
> Here, Rows 6, 22, and 46 will be summed.
>
> 2) Specify which category to sum...
>
> B1:  1
>
> 1 equals Category 1 (Columns D, H, L, and P)
>
> 2 equals Category 2 (Columns E, I, M, and Q)
>
> 3 equals Category 3 (Columns F, J, N, and R)
>
> 4 equals Category 4 (Columns G, K, O, and S)
>
> 3) Then, try the following formula which needs to be confirmed with
> CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER...
>
> =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(D6:S100),A1:A3,0)),IF(MOD(COLUMN(D6:S100)-COLU
> MN(D6),4)+1=B1,D6:S100)))
>
> Note that it allows you to delete rows.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> In article <BDEBCA08-DB7A-423D-B27A-3ABD761B1552@microsoft.com>,
>  COE <COE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, for the time being I have decided to name all the ranges, using the
> > Autofilter to make it easier to select all of the correct cells.
> >
> > Maybe there is an easier way, but I guess it will be via VBA and I can't
> > guarantee that there will be anyone in the office who will know even very
> > simple VBA in the future.
> >
> > So to keep it simple to maintain, I guess I'll have to put up with lots of
> > named ranges.
> >
> > COE
> >
> > "COE" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Bob,
> > >
> > > Each employee has between 1-3 rows of information, but there isn't a
> > > pattern
> > > to these row numbers that covers all employees.
> > >
> > > If I could just enter this row information in some cells, and the columns
> > > into another cell and combine these into cell references that I could use,
> > > then I would be rolling, but I don't know if that is possible.
> > >
> > > eg. Employee 1 has rows 6, 22, 46.
> > > Employee 2 - 7, 23, 47
> > > Employee 3 - 11
> > > Employee 4 - 12, 28, 52
> > >
> > > Somehow I'm getting a feeling there is no easy way to do this,
> > > COE

0
Coe1 (6)
1/17/2006 12:27:02 AM
Hi

I have been looking at the array formula, but I'm not familiar with some of
the functions.  Could you help me understand which part of the formula tells
Excel which columns to use, and/or how it uses the different categories?  If
I know that then I'm sure the rest will fall into place.

Thank you very much

COE

"COE" wrote:

> Thanks Domenic,
>
> I will have to try this out.  (Catering for the data being on a different
> sheet of the workbook to the calculation).
>
> Cheers
> COE
>
> "Domenic" wrote:
>
> > Assuming that D6:S100 contains your data...
> >
> > 1) Specify which rows to sum...
> >
> > A1:
> >
> > =CELL("row",D6)
> >
> > A2:
> >
> > =CELL("row",D22)
> >
> > A3:
> >
> > =CELL("row",D46)
> >
> > Here, Rows 6, 22, and 46 will be summed.
> >
> > 2) Specify which category to sum...
> >
> > B1:  1
> >
> > 1 equals Category 1 (Columns D, H, L, and P)
> >
> > 2 equals Category 2 (Columns E, I, M, and Q)
> >
> > 3 equals Category 3 (Columns F, J, N, and R)
> >
> > 4 equals Category 4 (Columns G, K, O, and S)
> >
> > 3) Then, try the following formula which needs to be confirmed with
> > CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER...
> >
> > =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(D6:S100),A1:A3,0)),IF(MOD(COLUMN(D6:S100)-COLU
> > MN(D6),4)+1=B1,D6:S100)))
> >
> > Note that it allows you to delete rows.
> >
> > Hope this helps!
> >
> > In article <BDEBCA08-DB7A-423D-B27A-3ABD761B1552@microsoft.com>,
> >  COE <COE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, for the time being I have decided to name all the ranges, using the
> > > Autofilter to make it easier to select all of the correct cells.
> > >
> > > Maybe there is an easier way, but I guess it will be via VBA and I can't
> > > guarantee that there will be anyone in the office who will know even very
> > > simple VBA in the future.
> > >
> > > So to keep it simple to maintain, I guess I'll have to put up with lots of
> > > named ranges.
> > >
> > > COE

0
Coe1 (6)

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

How to use variables in ranges?
can someone please explain to me how to use a variable in a rang reference? example: > > maxpolines = Application.CountIf(Worksheets("P > Data").Range("A2:A500"), srcponum) > > ...some autofilter logic.... > > Worksheets("PO Data").Select > tottoinv = Evaluate("=SUBTOTAL(9,C2:C500)") The above yields the results i want. but i would like to replace "C500 with some reference to the maximum lines as identified b 'maxpolines'. the macro recorder produced "=SUBTOTAL(9,R[-14]C:R[-1]C)". This synta looks li...

A Word Macro to VLookup a Range in Excel
Hi, With a combination of VLOOKUP and MATCH formulas in Excel I'm able to grab a cell's value from a multi-row, multi-column range. But I can do this only from within Excel. The formulas look like these: =IF($H$4="",0,VLOOKUP($H$4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH(IF($I$4="","REG",$I$4),$A$1:$E$1,0),0)*IF($J$4="","1",$J$4)) and =IF(H4="",0,(VLOOKUP(H4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH("REG",$A$1:$E$1,0),0)-VLOOKUP(H4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH(IF(I4="","REG",I4),$A$1:$E$1,0),0))*IF(J4="","1",J4...

Non English page numbering
Hi everyone. I would like to know how to display, save and print my page numbering format in non-English language like Hindi numbering or farsi(persian) format. How? On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:48:01 -0700, Milad <Milad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi everyone. I would like to know how to display, save and print my page >numbering format in non-English language like Hindi numbering or >farsi(persian) format. How? You can simply rename your pages into the appropriate language. You will, of course, have to know the Hindi/Farsi for Page-1 etc or whatever you want ...

Pls help with embedding wmp in a non-dialog mfc view
Hi, I'd like to add mpeg, avi, and wmv playback capability to my mfc app. I thought that this would be quite simple if I decide to use Windows Media Player ActiveX instead of DirectShow filtergraph. Unfortunately that did not happen (i.e. the 'simple' part). First I struggled with Visual Studio ..NET - inserting wmp into the project did not generate CWnd derived wrapper class (as stated in sdk docs). Instead it generated COleDispatchDriver derived class. I did not want to waste any time on typing (clsid, create, etc.) so I decided to use VC6 and generated CWnd derived wrapper...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

When adding attachments...

Using multicell range when single cell prescribed
This is unusual (to me) range usage. It is NOT entered as array formula. A1=123 A2=456 B1=left(A1:A10,1) B2=left(A1:A10,1) Note the results. Additional observations - you can stick dollar signs on 1 and 10: no result change. You can (instead) copy B1 to B2: no result change. It's as though using a range where you "ought" to be using a single cell [range] is interpreted as "the cell for column A of current row" (for this choice of A1:A10).However note that B1=left(A2:A10,1) gives #VALUE. Is this a beneficial (and reliable) tactic in some situations, for some worksheet...

multiple value choices for If range().value = "xxx"
The macro below runs on worksheet change and works properly. However, I have 5 values to examine in column H. The values are: Split, Payday 1, Payday 2, Payday 3, and Payday 4. Any of these choices should result in unlocking and clearing the cells in that row (first part of if statement). Otherwise, the range 'pasterage' is copied to that row and it is locked again. I can't find the proper syntax (if there is any) to say something like is possible in SQL (if ...value in ("Split","Payday 1",...)) Please advise on the best way to go about this. ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Adding alternate columns

Adding fields from a different query

Adding Terms & Conditions to the Quote Form
We have a client that would like to add their Terms & Conditions (T&C) text to the bottom of their GP Quotes. I've read that static text boxes in Report Designer can only be 80 characters, so that won't work as the T&C text is approximately 4-5 pages long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add this significant amount of text to a GP form? Thank you in advance. Scott No can do Scott - Report Writer is just not capable of this. The best solution is to purchase Accountable Software's Forms Printer - www.accountable.com. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

AD Monitoring
Is there a listing somewhere of what all components in AD should be minitored, thresholds, etc...we are evaluating a monitoring solution and need this information to take a decision on the product to use Hello Sameer, For performance start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961943.aspx Also see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727046.aspx Use the included links from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739728(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Adding Collapse/Expand to Publisher 2003 items
Hi I'm trying to enter a text box which may be expanded/Collapsed as follows: > More Info... > Next Item... > More Info... When you want bla bla bla, do bla bla bla, > Next Item... Can anyone tell me how to implement it?! Thank you 'bla bla bla' is the sound of geckos mating - so the naturalists tell me. No, you cannot do what you want. Your answer is rude & arrogant. I don't know why would anyone put you in a position to Accept calls for help. Besides - I don't believe it can't be done. Please don't call again "*...

Name range problem
I defined a range and named it Pen. Pen referred to A3:A12. I typed the word Pen in cell B4. When I used the formula =AVERAGE(Pen) I got 4.7 which is correct. When I tried =AVERAGE(B4) I get #Div/0. What can I do to make the formula realize that the name I typed in B4 is a defined name and not just text? I have been struggling with this for some time. Hi =AVERAGE(INDIRECT(B4)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Landmine" <Landmine@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DA09DA95-8CB8-4A04-967D-48FB42E11F26@microsoft.com... > I defined a ra...

Range of numbers equation
Is there a way to find the lowest & highest number in a range of columns, and perform a calculation on them, e.g. %change (to-fm)/fm% Thanks What relationship do "to" and "fm" have to the lowest and highest number? If "to" is the lowest number in columns A:J, and "fm" is the highest number in columns A:J: =MIN(A:J)/MAX(A:J) - 1 formatted as a percentage. In article <42B784EB-2FB0-4D12-BD97-527555C02AAC@microsoft.com>, "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to find the lowest &...

change background color based on range value
I would like to search a spread sheet for a specific range value Ie c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 c6 20 30 40 20 30 40 When 20 30 and 40 are found in neighboring columns I would like to turn the background of these 3 cells blue. How would I code this? Thanks in advance - Dan Use conditional formatting over the first range. Set condition 1 to Formula-is option and in next box add =COUNTIF($D$1:$F$5,A1)>0 Format as appropriate. $D$1:$F$5 is range being tested. Change as appropriate. A1 is the first cell of the range being condition...