Adding alternate columns

I work on a schedule where I record ticket count and ticket sales for
each show, listed chronologically.

Column A = week ending date

Column B = # Tickets sold for April 5 show
Column C = Ticket Revenue for April 5 show

Column D = # Tickets sold for April 9 show
Column E = Ticket Revenue for April 9 show

Column F = # Tickets sold for April 12 show
Column G = Ticket Revenue for April 12 show

Column H = Total # Tickets sold for all shows
Column I = Total Ticket Revenue for all shows

In the Totals columns, the Total Tickets formula is "+B4+D4+F4", and
the Total Revenue formula is "+C4+E4+G4" and so on for each row....

When I get a new show that occurs chronologically in between two
existing shows, I insert two columns in the appropriate place and then
input my new data. Every time I do this, however, I have to adjust my
Totals formulas to include those new columns (and so each time a show
is added, the Totals formulas get longer).

Is there a formula I can substitute in my Totals columns that will
automatically include new columns?

--
LACA
LACA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30381

Not sure what your column headers are but let's assume that one is "Tickets"
and the other "Revenue" then the formula would be:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:G$1="tickets"),$A2:G2)
=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:G$1="revenue",$A2:G2)
leave the reference to column A (date column) in the formula, that way you
can insert columns anywhere between column A and your totals columns without
messing up the results.

HTH
JG

"LACA" wrote:

> I work on a schedule where I record ticket count and ticket sales for
> each show, listed chronologically.
>
> Column A = week ending date
>
> Column B = # Tickets sold for April 5 show
> Column C = Ticket Revenue for April 5 show
>
> Column D = # Tickets sold for April 9 show
> Column E = Ticket Revenue for April 9 show
>
> Column F = # Tickets sold for April 12 show
> Column G = Ticket Revenue for April 12 show
>
> Column H = Total # Tickets sold for all shows
> Column I = Total Ticket Revenue for all shows
>
> In the Totals columns, the Total Tickets formula is "+B4+D4+F4", and
> the Total Revenue formula is "+C4+E4+G4" and so on for each row....
>
> When I get a new show that occurs chronologically in between two
> existing shows, I insert two columns in the appropriate place and then
> input my new data. Every time I do this, however, I have to adjust my
> Totals formulas to include those new columns (and so each time a show
> is added, the Totals formulas get longer).
>
> Is there a formula I can substitute in my Totals columns that will
> automatically include new columns?
>

> --
> LACA
> LACA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30381
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501288

0
pinmaster (74)
1/14/2006 2:07:01 AM
Brilliant.

Thank you!

--
LACA
LACA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30381
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501288

JG

Would you mind explaining the role/purpose of the "--" in your formula?

--
LACA
LACA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30381
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501288

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Text to Column #4
Hello, I have the following text in column A, which is one line: :! 10428712 ! NAME LASTNAME ! 20092004 ! 00458921 ! PMIAVW ! Is it possible with a VBA macro to create a column everytime there's "!" and to delete ":" Thanks for any help, You're going to have to find out what those characters are. I like Chip Pearson's addin: CellView http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm to tell me those funny characters. Then you could use a macro to clean them up: Option Explicit Sub cleanEmUp() Dim myBadChars As Variant Dim iCtr As Lon...

Why formula doesn't change on column insertion?
Hello: I know I will feel stupid when I hear the answer, but... If I have a formula ( =average(a1:a5) ), and I insert a new column, the formula, being relative, changes to ( =average(a1:a6) ). This works fine in a test. BUT I have a working spreadsheet in which inserting a column does *not* change the relative formula. Why? I can't see anything different in my working spreadsheet... -- Fred Boer Never mind - resolved. -- Fred Boer "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:uin$VfrDIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello: > >...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

When adding attachments...

My column headers are numbers
Hello there, The column headings in my spreadsheet are numbers not letters. What have I done? Thank you in advance for your help. Judith Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck 'R1C1 Reference Style' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JudithJubilee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:097301c4d871$66a88240$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello there, > The column headings in my spreadsheet are numbers not > letters. What have I done? > > Thank you in advance for your help. > Judith ...

caps in columns
Hey Everyone, Is it possible to have an entire column that automatically formats so that all typed in letters are capital. If it is possible how would I go about doing this. thanks Chris go to google.com and look for free truetype fonts find an all-caps font install it use that font in excell (format.. cells... font) >-----Original Message----- >Hey Everyone, >Is it possible to have an entire column that automatically >formats so that all typed in letters are capital. If it >is possible how would I go about doing this. > >thanks >Chris > >. > Previo...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

combination of stacked and clustered column
Hi! Any ways to combine two types of chars: sgtacked columns and clustered columns? B.R GmA If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm and Jon Peltier has links to other sites with information: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Grigori Margolin wrote: > Any ways to combine two types of chars: sgtacked columns and clustered > columns? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http:...

Adding alternate columns

Filter for two columns
I have two columns Purchased Date and Depreciation Start Date. Can anyone help me to get the records with Depreciation Start Date greater than Purchased Date. Thanks Hi, sort with two conditions, highlight both columns, 1st condition Depreciation in descending order and as a 2nd condition Purchased in ascending order if this was helpful please say yes "Vadivu" wrote: > I have two columns Purchased Date and Depreciation Start Date. Can anyone > help me to get the records with Depreciation Start Date greater than > Purchased Date. > Thanks Use a helper col. As...

tally the difference between 2 columns
This is for surveys comparing before and after. For example, there are 2 columns below, 1st is before, 2nd is after 3,5 5,5 4,5 4,5 2,5 3,5 .... Is there a way I can calculate: total number of difference beween 2 columns for increase of 1, 2, 3, and 4 or decrease total number of each type of increase: ie. total 5 to 5, 4 to 5, total of 3 to 5, etc I've explored COUNTIFbut how do you have condistions in the criteria (column b - column a = 1) or mulitple conditions (column b - column a = 1 and column a = 4)? thanks for your help, Re: " total number of difference"... =SUMPROD...

sorting numbers in a column
Problem: The numbers I am sorting are composed of various numbers of integers, some having four digits, others five or six, and so on. I would like to have them sort by number regardless of number of digits. Will Excel let me do this? example: presently it looks like this: 3004 12001656 530393505 2200498378 and I really want it to sort like this: 12001656 2200498378 3004 530393505 Can this be done? -- kailuamike ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kailuamike's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29558 View...

Upgrade to Great Plains Dynamics 9.0 error, Column PRODID not foun
Hello, I am attempting a test upgrade from Great Plains 7.5 to Dynamics 9.0 and I get an error during the system tables upgrade portion, right at the 'Load Additional Required Data' step. The error message is: The following SQL statement produced an error: delete from DU000010 where PRODID=258 followed by: ERROR [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'PRODID'. I checked the DU000010 table and the column does NOT exist. I also tried upgrading from 7.5 to 8.0, which worked, but when I then try to upgrade that 8.0 to 9.0, I still get the sa...

Adding fields from a different query

Write XML with all columns/fields
Hi all, I am doing a windows mobile project that uses ASP.NET web services. Web service returns dataset-s that are pulled from database and later saved on local mobile storage (write XML). On client (WM 6.1) program loads dataset (read XML and read XML schema) when needed. User can insert/aappend new records. My problem occures when some data fileds are empty... default method WriteXML, on client side, does not create XML nodes for empty fields/columns. Than when you are trying to reference some field value that was empty, you get exception. Is there any property or method o...

Adding Terms & Conditions to the Quote Form
We have a client that would like to add their Terms & Conditions (T&C) text to the bottom of their GP Quotes. I've read that static text boxes in Report Designer can only be 80 characters, so that won't work as the T&C text is approximately 4-5 pages long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add this significant amount of text to a GP form? Thank you in advance. Scott No can do Scott - Report Writer is just not capable of this. The best solution is to purchase Accountable Software's Forms Printer - www.accountable.com. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

AD Monitoring
Is there a listing somewhere of what all components in AD should be minitored, thresholds, etc...we are evaluating a monitoring solution and need this information to take a decision on the product to use Hello Sameer, For performance start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961943.aspx Also see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727046.aspx Use the included links from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739728(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...