Adding a drop-down form field into individual cell

Hi,

I�m tabulating data for a report and one field (column) is limited t
two options (non numerical data).  I would like to insert a drop-dow
menu into individual cells in this column.  When an option is selecte
in the drop-down, I will only be using the data in that column to sort
not calculate.  Is this possible, and if so how do I do it?  Any help i
appreciated

--
jcstoddar
jcstoddard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1485

You can use Data Validation to create a dropdown list on a worksheet.
There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

pop-up form/message box problem
I have a main form where records are entered; in one field users select from a list of citations, if they type something that's not on the list, a message box pops up asking if they'd like to add the new citation, when they click "yes" the pop-up form where they enter the citation information opens, no problem. HOWEVER, if they close the pop-up form without entering any data the default Access message " The text you entered isn't an item in the list." appears. How do I prevent that from happening? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmon...

Formatting Cells/Data
Hi, I hope you are doing well. I have a file I downloaded from our AS/400 (OS400 operating system). I open the file as a text file and go thru the wizard for converting the file to excel format. One of the columns/fields is numeric with some neg and pos numbers and some blank cell contents. During the wizard conversion the field is categorized as DOUBLE with no option to change the field. When I finish the wizard I save the file as an Excel workbook. Then I use the autosum option to calculate the total of the field/column; however, it only picks up on the positive #'s. Hence the t...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

click on a cell to expand with more information
I am making a phone contact record for work. How can I make a cell (with a customers name in it) expose more details or information about that customer, when hovered over with the pointer? I also need to know how to enter the information to be viewed. 2nd question - How do I create a line between multiple entries for the same customer and the next customer? example: John Doe 05/05/05 123-456-7891 9:00 left message John Doe 05/08/05 123-456-7891 9:30 left message John Doe 05/08/05 123-456-7891 10:00 returned call _____________...

When adding attachments...

Count cells that Contain text
Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum tha contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT" I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to coun cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number o cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text a well. You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta And -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =COUNTIF(Range,"*ACT*") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private...

merging cells #3
Hi, I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code and phone number. Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are grey and not black. Outlook does not see the new column. What could be the problem? Thanks AJS Solved it. "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:%232OPgj%23dJHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... | Hi, | I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code | and phone number. | Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are | grey and not black. | Outlook does n...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Criteria Parameter in query for two fields: help
I have a form that utilizes two contact lists in separate combo boxes to illustrate projects that multiple people have worked on. I am trying to make it so that a report will illustrate the associated data based on these contacts. The selection will be based on either one contact (from either list) or both. Whereby on selection, the report will generate the associated data based on these user names. How would I go about creating a parameter in the query so that it will limit the content to reflect either contact list or a combination of the two? I am a beginner to Acc...

how can i remove a drop-down menu
Hi to All, can anyone please tell me how to remove a drop-down menu from a cell or column? Thank you, Cheers, RonW. If you're talking about removing a Data Validation list that displays in a cell Try this: Select the offending cell From the Excel Main Menu: <data><validation>...Allow: Any Value...Click [OK] Does that help? Post back if you have more questions. -------------------------- Regards, Ron (XL2003, Win XP) Microsoft MVP (Excel) <Ron.Winkley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1194484323.283481.125630@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi to All, &...

Validating data in a subform against data in main form
I have a main form with a subform. Each form is bound to its own table but are linked through a primary key (customerID). On the main form, I have a customer's date of birth (dob). On the subform, I have the customrer's date of order (doo). Basically, I want to validate that the date of order entered by the user is later than the date of birth. How can I do this? I tried to do it in the subform's BeforeUpdate event but it failed. It didn't seem to recognize dob (customer's date of birth). Perhaps, I was not referring to dob properly. I'm new to ...

bcc and attachment fields
Is there a way to make the bcc and attachments fields always show up at the top of a new email under the To: , CC:, and Subject fields??? Thanks are you meaning that attachments will not show in the body? I am looking for that answer too. -- Dave M Radeon 9800Pro 256mb P4 2.8 oc to 3.1 "sendhost3000" <sendhost3000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eYXGYYYxDHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to make the bcc and attachments fields always show up at the > top of a new email under the To: , CC:, and Subject fields??? > > Thanks > > -----= ...

Adding alternate columns

I don't have a "drop down" arrow to choose an email
I have Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711) Corporate or Workgroup I have 4 email addresses that I want to use. When sending an email, how do I have the opportunity to choose which account it is from? I don't have a drop down arrow, nor a "send email using" option.. HELP! If I recall correctly those options don't exist in Outlook 2000. Can you upgrade to a newer version? Outlook XP (2002) and 2003 both include a "Send Using" capability that is quite good. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable ...

Copy Data From Main To Sub Form
Hi everyone! Using A02 on XP. I have a main form [ICSUpgrade2008MainForm] with some data on it that I would like to copy down to my subform [ICSUpgrade2008SubForm] when I click a button on the subform. The Main Form field is: [Forms]![ICSUpgrade2008MainForm]![Trustee] and the Sub Form field is [Forms]![ICSUpgrade2008SubForm]![ContactName]. I want to copy the name from [Trustee] to [ContactName]. I've played with me.contactname = and can't figure out the mainform field. Do I have to create an unbound field on my subform to = the mainform field and copy that way? Seems a b...

delete first two words in a cell
hi, can someone tell me how i manage to delete the first two words in cell? eg. July 24: info prodid4775 gorass andreas -should become- info prodid4775 gorass andreas or is it possible to extract every word beginning at the third one? i was playing around with some code i found at excel tip: =IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1)),A1,LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)) it is supposed to extract the first word of A1. for some reason i only get an error message. i am working with excel 2002. hope someone can help me out greetz f -- flashing fran ------------------------------------------------...

Adding fields from a different query

null default values on a form
Hi, bet this question has been asked before: i have created a form so a user can add new records and edit existing ones. For editing purposes my form also has a search drop down by a record number. When i open the form it always shows me the first record from the table, but i just want it to be copmletely blank until a user choses his record for editing. If i change Form properties (Data Entry =Yes) it works but Search function does not work at all. Thanks Mike "Mikhail Bogorad" <mikhail.bogorad@gmail.com> wrote in message news:435afcee-9744-4f5e-8f95-232efa00c...