Adding a comment to a cell.

I have tried adding a comment to a cell, but it does not appear with th
little red triangle in the top right corner of the cell commented.

The comment is attached, but at first glance there is no such clue tha
there is a comment attached.

I know the comment is attached because when i click onto the cell
commented and right click, it allows me to either edit or delete th
comment..

I need the little red triangle to appear when commenting a cell (whe
clicked away from the live cell, it seems to dissapear) - view scree
shot

               Attachment filename: comments.jpg
Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=51566

Hi
goto 'Tools - Options - view' and check the appropiate option for
comments ('show indicators')

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I have tried adding a comment to a cell, but it does not appear with
> the little red triangle in the top right corner of the cell
commented.

> The comment is attached, but at first glance there is no such clue
> that there is a comment attached.
>
> I know the comment is attached because when i click onto the cell i
> commented and right click, it allows me to either edit or delete the
> comment..
>
> I need the little red triangle to appear when commenting a cell (when
> clicked away from the live cell, it seems to dissapear) - view screen
> shot.
>
>                Attachment filename: comments.jpg
> Download attachment:
> http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=515664 ---

frank.kabel (11126)
4/17/2004 10:47:58 PM
Try

Tools>Options...>View>Comments and check anything other than 'nothing'

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"adn4n >" <<adn4n.14voyi@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have tried adding a comment to a cell, but it does not appear with the
> little red triangle in the top right corner of the cell commented.
>
> The comment is attached, but at first glance there is no such clue that
> there is a comment attached.
>
> I know the comment is attached because when i click onto the cell i
> commented and right click, it allows me to either edit or delete the
> comment..
>
> I need the little red triangle to appear when commenting a cell (when
> clicked away from the live cell, it seems to dissapear) - view screen
> shot.
>
>                Attachment filename: comments.jpg
> Download attachment:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=515664
> ---

Does this apply to all comments? If so, there is a setting in =
Tools>Options>View

HTH
Anders Silven

http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3D515664
> ---

In the Menu path Tools -> Options -> View, there is a
specific section for the appearance of comments.
Basically, you need to select the middle option for the
red triangle to appear on cells with comments in.

comments.jpg
>Download attachment:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=515664
>---
>
>.

Cell refering filename in formula bar
How do you refer filename1 to a cell in the formula bar? Example: ='\\Year 2004\September\[_filename1_.xls]sheet1'!$A$1 A | B | C 1 | | 2 | filename1 | 3 | | 4 | | ="\\Year 2004\September\["_B2_".xls]sheet1'!$A$1 will not work -- yee ve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- yee ven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1479 View this thread: http://www.excel...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

VBA pick random cell
hi, i want to pick a random cell (containing text) in a given range. i used the "randbetween" function in excel, but i am now needing thi in visual basic. i found the following vba snipplet, but i don�t understand it, an can�t implement it in my code: PHP code ------------------- With Range("B1") .FormulaR1C1 = _ "=OFFSET(Sheet1!RC[-1],RANDBETWEEN(0,9),0)" ------------------- it would be great if someone could give me an example of picking random cell in the range lets say ("A1:B10") i would also like to know how to combine two ra...

Formatting Cells/Data
Hi, I hope you are doing well. I have a file I downloaded from our AS/400 (OS400 operating system). I open the file as a text file and go thru the wizard for converting the file to excel format. One of the columns/fields is numeric with some neg and pos numbers and some blank cell contents. During the wizard conversion the field is categorized as DOUBLE with no option to change the field. When I finish the wizard I save the file as an Excel workbook. Then I use the autosum option to calculate the total of the field/column; however, it only picks up on the positive #'s. Hence the t...

ADDING A NUMBER

How do you find and replace text in autoshapes or comments
Excel 2000 find and replace text in multiple autoshapes or comments, not in cells ...

When adding attachments...

Count cells that Contain text
Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum tha contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT" I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to coun cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number o cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text a well. You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta And -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =COUNTIF(Range,"*ACT*") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private...

click on a cell to expand with more information
I am making a phone contact record for work. How can I make a cell (with a customers name in it) expose more details or information about that customer, when hovered over with the pointer? I also need to know how to enter the information to be viewed. 2nd question - How do I create a line between multiple entries for the same customer and the next customer? example: John Doe 05/05/05 123-456-7891 9:00 left message John Doe 05/08/05 123-456-7891 9:30 left message John Doe 05/08/05 123-456-7891 10:00 returned call _____________...

adding new records

How-to hide comment field on Invoices
For one of our customers, we needed a way of classifying items which are Urgent in need to make sure our warehouse ships them out as soon as they are received. The only way field that would work is the 'Comment ID' field which can be found in the 'Sales Item Detail Entry' window. I then modified the related smartlist report to use this field and life was good.. until we printed invoices. On the Invoice, for every 'Urgent' item, a blank line appears after it. With more than one 'urgent' item on the same Invoice, it makes for an odd/unprofessional looking Invoice...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

merging cells #3
Hi, I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code and phone number. Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are grey and not black. Outlook does not see the new column. What could be the problem? Thanks AJS Solved it. "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:%232OPgj%23dJHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... | Hi, | I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code | and phone number. | Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are | grey and not black. | Outlook does n...

Adding alternate columns

delete first two words in a cell
hi, can someone tell me how i manage to delete the first two words in cell? eg. July 24: info prodid4775 gorass andreas -should become- info prodid4775 gorass andreas or is it possible to extract every word beginning at the third one? i was playing around with some code i found at excel tip: =IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1)),A1,LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)) it is supposed to extract the first word of A1. for some reason i only get an error message. i am working with excel 2002. hope someone can help me out greetz f -- flashing fran ------------------------------------------------...

Adding fields from a different query

Reposition comment boxes in 2000
With Excel 2000, is it possible to reposition comment boxes? I know I can drag them whilsediting, but that only affects where they appear during editing. Can I change the position they are displayed when I just hover over the cell? ...

Insert Comments on a Protected Worksheet
hi - I have a worksheet with areas that are locked, and a range B5:H23 that is not locked. Protection has been applied to the sheet. The user is allowed to SELECT unlocked cells. My problem is that I want to be able to INSERT COMMENTS in the unlocked range. I can't seem to do this while protection is ON. (Comments can only be added when Protection is OFF) What am I missing? thanks in advance -- cinnie When setting sheet protection allow users to "Edit Objects"........down near bottom of list. Then you can Insert Comments in unlocked cells. Gord ...

cell count of 'grouped' cells
Apologies if this is a 'dumb' question! I am receiving data that is layed out in groups. When I try to 'countif' with some of the group not showing, I still get a full row count, including those rows not showing. Basically, I receive attendance stats with every days attendance detailed, grouped into the weekly attendance per person. As I need the number of people, I am trying to count just those (the second group/layer), but when I try the countif(data,"*"), it counts all of the rows, including the sub rows giving the daily info. Please can someone help/explain w...

AD Monitoring
Is there a listing somewhere of what all components in AD should be minitored, thresholds, etc...we are evaluating a monitoring solution and need this information to take a decision on the product to use Hello Sameer, For performance start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961943.aspx Also see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727046.aspx Use the included links from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739728(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...