add accents to text

I want to add accents to first/last names in a spreadsheet
I'd also like to be able to add scientific symbols to text in a spreadsheet.
0
mtambeau (1)

From your START button go to Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map
Slow way: use Select/Copy then Paste into Excel
Faster way: click on the accented letter you want, look at bottom right
corner (eg for ï {as in naïve} you'll see "Keystroke: Alt + 0239).  Do this
for all the accented letters you think you will need.  Keep the paper handy
and use the Alt + four digit code to obtain your results.
Stephen Powell