Accounting question

This is not an Excel question but I know there are experts here who I know
will provide an answer.

There is an estate of a deceased person to distribute.

Net value is £112k which includes the value of a car (£2500)

Two persons are the beneficiaries.

Person A - has sold the car for £2500 and has had £3000 as an interim payment

There is £106500 in the bank to distribute.

How much does A and B get in cash so that each has had an equal share of the
total estate?

It should be simple but whatever I do it just doesn't match the figures I've
been given.  I'm sure that the adjustment for the car is the problem but the
longer I look at it now the more confused I'm getting.

--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

Done it.

The solicitor was deducting the value of the car and then adding in half
it's value before apportionment rather than apportionment after adding the
car value.
--

"Russell Dawson" wrote:

> This is not an Excel question but I know there are experts here who I know
> will provide an answer.
>
> There is an estate of a deceased person to distribute.
>
> Net value is £112k which includes the value of a car (£2500)
>
> Two persons are the beneficiaries.
>
> Person A - has sold the car for £2500 and has had £3000 as an interim payment
>
> There is £106500 in the bank to distribute.
>
> How much does A and B get in cash so that each has had an equal share of the
> total estate?
>
> It should be simple but whatever I do it just doesn't match the figures I've
> been given.  I'm sure that the adjustment for the car is the problem but the
> longer I look at it now the more confused I'm getting.
>

> --
> Russell Dawson
> Excel Student
>
> Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.
Divide 112000 by two.

Person B gets half or 56000

Person A gets 56k less the 5500 or 50500

56000 + 50500 = 106500

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:34:01 -0700, Russell Dawson
<russell.dawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This is not an Excel question but I know there are experts here who I know
>will provide an answer.
>
>There is an estate of a deceased person to distribute.
>
>Net value is �112k which includes the value of a car (�2500)
>
>Two persons are the beneficiaries.
>
>Person A - has sold the car for �2500 and has had �3000 as an interim payment
>
>There is �106500 in the bank to distribute.
>
>How much does A and B get in cash so that each has had an equal share of the
>total estate?
>
>It should be simple but whatever I do it just doesn't match the figures I've
>been given.  I'm sure that the adjustment for the car is the problem but the
>longer I look at it now the more confused I'm getting.

0
Gord
5/12/2010 7:54:34 PM
Thanks Gord,

As you have seen I did get it eventually.  It good to have the figures
confirmed though.

Regards
--

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Divide 112000 by two.
>
> Person B gets half or 56000
>
> Person A gets 56k less the 5500 or 50500
>
> 56000 + 50500 = 106500
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:34:01 -0700, Russell Dawson
> <russell.dawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >This is not an Excel question but I know there are experts here who I know
> >will provide an answer.
> >
> >There is an estate of a deceased person to distribute.
> >
> >Net value is £112k which includes the value of a car (£2500)
> >
> >Two persons are the beneficiaries.
> >
> >Person A - has sold the car for £2500 and has had £3000 as an interim payment
> >
> >There is £106500 in the bank to distribute.
> >
> >How much does A and B get in cash so that each has had an equal share of the
> >total estate?
> >
> >It should be simple but whatever I do it just doesn't match the figures I've
> >been given.  I'm sure that the adjustment for the car is the problem but the
> >longer I look at it now the more confused I'm getting.
>
> .

Exporting/Importing Mail Account Settings
I need to rebuild my pc again. I can happily save and restore my pst file, so I dont lose my mail, contacts & calendar, but I lose my mail account settings each time. Is there a way to backup/restore or import/export these settings? Thanks Chris CJM <cjmuk@remove.tesco.net> wrote: > I can happily save and restore my pst file, so I dont lose my mail, > contacts & calendar, but I lose my mail account settings each time. > > Is there a way to backup/restore or import/export these settings? The email account information is stored in the Registry. There is no exp...

Why does Money hide my account numbers?
I am trying to review my credit report and there is one item on there that doesn't look right, and must be at least 6 years old. My credit reporting agency shows me all but the last 4 digits of the account. Money, on the other hand, shows me only the last 4 digits. Worthless. I can understand if some people are paranoid and don't want someone looking over their shoulder at account numbers, but if that is the case, make everything XXXXX on the screen because they can see your balances too! Is anyone really served by this decision the Money team made? Oh well, back to opening each clos...

Outlook2002
I have 2 questions I would like to ask. Hope someone out there can help me. 1. I would like to be able to creat a command where I can send and delete an E-mail at the same time. This means that i would then be able to choose between a "SEND" command that would send the mail and save it as usual plus another command that would be "SEND & DELETE". 2. I would like to have the facility to be able to automatically (or by means of a tool icon) type the date and time that I'm updating a note within tasks. Thanks ...

Help with POP account downloading headers only
Hi hoping that someone can help with this. I have an Outlook/Exchange (2000) client configuration which includes several POP accounts. If the POP accounts are configured to download headers only, what happens to the mail on the POP server? Presumably I can click a header and the rest of the message is downloaded, but what happens to the messages for headers that I never open - do they stay on the POP server for ever? All of the POP accounts are configured to NOT leave mail on the server (or does that option automatically change if I download headers only?). If I delete message ...

Question #4
How can I tell if my server is an Exchange bridgehead server? We only have 1 exchange 2003 server and no routing groups created. Thanks for any response! Strickly speaking, a bridgehead is a connection point between two routing groups, so no. But a bridgehead is also a connection point between two systems, so in a generic sense, maybe yes. :) On 15 Nov 2004 16:55:41 -0800, account4google@yahoo.com (Nand) wrote: >How can I tell if my server is an Exchange bridgehead server? We only >have 1 exchange 2003 server and no routing groups created. > >Thanks for any response! ...

Desktop Administrator Accounts
I need to start creating individual accounts for our help desk personnel. I believe I have the AD Delegation working, but how do I control or give these users the ability to logon remotely using RDP and log on deskside with admin rights? Hi tkutil, create an security group called a.e. "Desktop-Admins-RDP" and assign persmissions at clients for RDP logon permissions to this group. You should use GPO to configure these settings on the desktops - see article below. More details around configuration options for RDP can you find here -> Configure Remote Desktop htt...

question about CImageList
hello! I'm wondering what can be the cause of GDI resource leakage in my app. I have a CListView in the report style and i'm using icons with each of the list items. Firstly I create a CImageList m_ImageList.Create(16, 16, ILC_MASK | ILC_COLORDDB,1,1000); and set it to the list GetListCtrl().SetImageList(&m_ImageList,LVSIL_SMALL); then I retirieve icons from the shell and add them to the image list SHGetFileInfo((LPCTSTR)pFile->GetPath(),0,&pShell,sizeof(SHFILEINFO), SHGFI_SYSICONINDEX | SHGFI_SMALLICON | SHGFI_ICON); m_ImageList.Add(pShell.hI...

ExMerge Questions
I need to delete all messages with a specific attachment name from our Information Stores. I tried ExMerge having looked at a few tutorials/readmes/articles and it seems to be doing the necessary, however there are a couple of outstanding issues: Firstly, our current environment (Exchange 2003 SP2) started life years back as an Exchange 5.5 environment, and when I run the export phase, many of the PST files have names based on the random directory name used for the mailbox so rather than "Joe Bloggs.pst" I have "E76EC87.pst" which is not ideal. Second...

"Account setup unavailable"
In Money 2006, I'm trying to add a new credit card account using the online bank "Merrick Bank Cardholder Center". After selecting the bank, the next page is either a browser page saying "page cannot be displayed" or it's a Money page saying online setup is unavailable. I've setup about 5 other banks/accounts just fine. Maybe I entered the login info wrong the first time and it subsequently keeps reading a cache with this bad login. Is there a way to clear this cache if it exists? Or, is there something else going on? I just deleted the account and tried agai...

Service Pack 2 Installation Questions
I have a few questions about the SP2. - Is it now supported? - Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before the install? On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:41:02 -0800, "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a few questions about the SP2. > >- Is it now supported? Yes. > >- Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before >the install? Disable all 3rd party services and manually stop Exch Services if desires. the update will stop the exch services manually however. Backups before and after ...

This might seems like a strange question but a Thread can'r run if the main Thread stops
Hi! I just want to make sure that have understood this correct. If the main thread stop than all other thread will stop and the application will exit. So without having a main thread running it's impossible to use any other threads. //Tony On 14-05-2010 20:39, Tony Johansson wrote: > I just want to make sure that have understood this correct. > If the main thread stop than all other thread will stop and the application > will exit. > > So without having a main thread running it's impossible to use any other > threads. Not true. Threads...

Auto Numbering for Contacts and Accounts
We need a way to auto number Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunity (similiar to how quotes, orders, cases, etc..work). Has anyone come across a way to do this through the use of Jscript or any other means? Thanks! You can write a Callout for Autonumbering. Refer to the SDK help for details on Callouts. There's an auto-numbering sample in the SDK too. HTH, Niths "MDV1457" wrote: > We need a way to auto number Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunity (similiar to > how quotes, orders, cases, etc..work). Has anyone come across a way to do > this through the use of Js...

BAS G20 does not match 'GST on Purchases' Control Account
To assist with reconciling the BAS to GST Control accounts I want to write a Crystal Report that will tell me the GST Detail Code used to generate transaction against my GST Control Accounts (ie GST Collected on Sales, GST Paid on Purchases). What table will I need to link to GL20000 to give me this additional info. I have tried to get this via smartlists but the GST code is not a column in Account Transaction smartlist and the GST Control account code is not a column in the GST Transactions smartlist. Penny There could be a number of reasons for this to not reconcile. Just quickly h...

how to delete account in 'Accounts List'
I have 4 accounts in Accounts List section that I remove, but when I restart Money, they appear again. I've also taken them off my Favorites list but no luck. In microsoft.public.money, core000 wrote: >I have 4 accounts in Accounts List section that I remove, but when I >restart Money, they appear again. I've also taken them off my >Favorites list but no luck. You might want to Close the accounts by right-clicking in the AccountList. Then set the view to not show with SortAccountListBy->HideClosedAccounts. I suspect these are accounts that are/were at the same instit...

Macro question
Whenever I try to run my macro, nothing happens. When I try to change the security settings through the Tools > Security option, nothing happens. I can do it at home but not at work. Is there a specific reason? I'm the administrator of the computer and I am not connected to any domain. Please help! -- Nocturnal We see this sometimes when another application starts Outlook before you = do and VBA never quite loads properly. Try shutting down Outlook and = using Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to make sure it's really, really shut = down before you restart it. You may also w...

Question and Answer tables
I'm trying to create a set of question and answer tables, similar to the tables in Duane Hookom's "At Your Survey" sample application. In his answer table, the field for the response value is type Text. My question: What do you do about response values of other types, such as Numeric, Boolean, Multiple Choice, Option Groups, etc.? It is typically the case that not all questions in a list will be answered with text. Thanks, OldBlindPew I may be remembering an earlier version, but I thought Duane's At Your Survey allowed for more than one answer "type&...

Easy question regarding maintenance
Are there any guidelines or suggestions on how often an Exchange administrator should run the "Isinteg -alltests" and the "ESEUTIL" for the defrag? I'm sure it depends on the size and complexity of the organization - we're one site with about 400 users. My thought is about once a month but I don't want to overdo it if it's not needed. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. most experienced Exchange admins will tell you not to run these utilities against your database/s unless you have a specific problem that they will address...in ...

Accounts Payable Checks
When processing a/p checks for a/p transactions and purchase orders for the same vendor, two checks are generated for the same vendor even though we select 'one check per vendor'. Is there a setting somewhere that we may need to change to correct this. Did you put different remit to addresses on different purchasing documents? This could cause a separate check to print for the same vendor. "Rig Equipment" wrote: > When processing a/p checks for a/p transactions and purchase orders for the > same vendor, two checks are generated for the same vendor even though w...

Question about Blanket PO
I have a Blanket purchase order that when viewed on the screen contains items. However, when printed out it is blanket. What is causing this error? Thanks in advance! do the quantities ordered exceed the quantities received for this PO? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "dianeha" wrote: > I have a Blanket purchase order that when viewed on the screen contains > items. However, when printed out it is blanket....

Parent-child account setup
Is there a good way to implement a parent-child account relationship in GP 7.5 ? Our problem: Currently, we have one account number per invoice, with several customers having multiple customer cards in GP - our customers like it this way, since it enables us to bill one invoice per department. However, we are having problems in reporting combined revenue for these kinds of customers. Any ideas ? TIA, Ken You can purchase the National Accounts module. I think it will do exactly what you are looking for. Eleni "ms" wrote: > Is there a good way to implement a parent-child ...

Upgrade path questions from 9 to 2010
We are wanting to upgrade 9.00.0371 to GP 2010. We want to upgrade from a 2003 server running sql 2005 to to a new server (2008 R2) running SQL08. I went by the upgrade document, followed all the steps, upgrade scripts to check the tables, etc. I moved the GP9 databases to the new server running sql08. Went through the gp 2010 install ok. Loaded the hotfix, then started GP Utilities. I then get the question about transferring security of which I answer with no. The next screen errors out with a stored procedure initializeDB_upgrade() of form duSQLInstall:95: Pass Through SQ...

Account # in a liability transaction
I opened up a liability account. I have several bills come in with different account #'s, I'm consolidating all those particular Bills into this one liability account, I would like to track these Bills within the account by the account #, I would normally just put the account # in the slot were the check # would go in Quicken when I used it, and then I could sort that account by the "check number" . In the Money Liability account the "check #" slot is not available. Any suggestions? ...

Incorrect time on Outlook account
Hi On one of my Outlook accounts, whenever I receive a message it shows the time being 6 hrs in front. I contacted my provider and they say their server times are all correct. If it was showing a server default, the timezones we are in means it would show as arriving 6 hrs behind?? It only shows the incorrect time on the inbox page -when I open the message the time is correct?? Another account I have with another provider does not have the same problem so it has to be at their end??? Any help would be appreciated. In news:FD02E331-7F02-43B0-BBA1-ACF2615A6B0F@microsoft.com, snoopdug...

Criteria Question
*I'm not very knowledgeable with Access* I want to input a criteria for a query with a range of results, some are all numerical and some contain letters. How do I create a range criteria for example "11111 to 33333" or "H12345 to H23456"? The only way i have been able to do it is very confusing, for instance I use Like "[1-3][1-3][1-3][1-3][1-3]", which can produce the results but I'm not sure if there is a better input strategy. You can use Between with Criteria: Between 11111 and 33333 (if a numeric field) Between "H12345" and "...

Charting Question #3
I have a table of data which I create a scatter graph to show the points. Is there an easy way to add labels through VBA? For eaxample if I have the data below in a spreadsheet and I want column B to be the X-axis and column C to be the Y-axis how can I easily/automatically add the text in column A as the data label? Also, oes it matter what order the data is sorted in? I want to sort by column A. Thanks A B C 1 Florida 2.5 500 2 Maine 2.7 300 sfrancoe wrote: > I have a table of data which I create a scatter graph to show the points. Is > there...