A challenge #2

Hi all you masterminds,

I've spent some time trying to solve this problem. Not exactl
because I need this, but because it's challenging. At least to me i
is.

So, can you make a worksheet function that reverses a string? That'
it basically.

- Asse

Yes, something like this. I haven't tried to code but..

Dim variable as string, Result as string
Dim Length as integer, x as integer

Length = len(variable)
x=Length
while x<>x-Length
Result = Result & mid(variable,x,1)
x=x-1
wend
msgbox Result

Cheers
Paa

Hi
I would use a UDF for this:
Function ReverseString(rng As Range) As String
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = Len(rng.Value) To 1 Step -1
        ReverseString = ReverseString & Mid(rng.Value, i, 1)
    Next
End Function

Just call this function with
=ReverseString(A1)
there A1 stores your source string

Frank

> Hi all you masterminds,
>
> I've spent some time trying to solve this problem. Not exactly
> because I need this, but because it's challenging. At least to me it
> is.
>
> So, can you make a worksheet function that reverses a string? That's
> it basically.
>
> - Asser

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/28/2004 10:20:21 AM
Hi Paal and thanks,

To make it a challenge, I ment that it should be a worksheet formula
not a VBA code. And to be more exact, it should be all in one cell. B
using multible cells or VBA it is an easy thing to do.

- Asse

Ok, but i don't have to much spare time to look into it

Hi
the only thing I have come up with is the following array formula:
MID(A1,1+LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & LEN(A1))),1)

Unfortunately this requires the target to be an array with as many
columns/rows as the text lenght of A1. And CONCATENATE doe not work on
array (AFAIK). So getting this array result into one cell is the tricky
part.

Frank

> Ok, but i don't have to much spare time to look into it.
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
1/28/2004 11:20:31 AM
Frank Kabel wrote:
> *Hi
> the only thing I have come up with is the following array formula:
> MID(A1,1+LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & LEN(A1))),1)
>
> Unfortunately this requires the target to be an array with as many
> columns/rows as the text lenght of A1. And CONCATENATE doe not wor
> on
> array (AFAIK). So getting this array result into one cell is th
> tricky
> part.
>
> Frank *

Hi,

I have tried same kind of approach and have come up with the sam
problem, CONCATENATE doesn't work with arrays.

Maybe this is something that is impossible to do in Excel.

- Asse

Just to mention...in later versions of Excel, one can use:

Function StringReverse(s As String) As String
   StringReverse = StrReverse(s)
End Function

--
Dana DeLouis
Using Windows XP  &  Office XP

"Jazzer >" <<Jazzer.10ql70@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all you masterminds,
>
> I've spent some time trying to solve this problem. Not exactly
> because I need this, but because it's challenging. At least to me it
> is.
>
> So, can you make a worksheet function that reverses a string? That's
> it basically.
>
> - Asser
>

> ---

delouis (422)
1/28/2004 2:43:43 PM
Jazzer <<Jazzer.10ql70@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in news:Jazzer.10ql70
@excelforum-nospam.com:

> So, can you make a worksheet function that reverses a string? That's
> it basically.

Combine these all on one line.
=choose(length(A1),
        A1,
        right(a1,1)&left(a1,1),
        right(a1,1)&mid(a1,2,1)&left(a1,1),
        right(a1,1)&mid(a1,3,1)&mid(a1,2,1)&left(a1,1),
....etc...

Only works for strings up to 29 characters.

--
My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid. Please
remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want to reply.
Jonathan Rynd wrote:
> Combine these all on one line.
> =choose(length(A1),
>         A1,
>         right(a1,1)&left(a1,1),
>         right(a1,1)&mid(a1,2,1)&left(a1,1),
>         right(a1,1)&mid(a1,3,1)&mid(a1,2,1)&left(a1,1),
> ...etc...
>
> Only works for strings up to 29 characters.

:-) that is brute force
regards
Frank

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/28/2004 9:40:14 PM
"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in news:Odwo#ee5DHA.1968
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> Hi
> Jonathan Rynd wrote:
>> Combine these all on one line.
>> =choose(length(A1),
>>         A1,
>>         right(a1,1)&left(a1,1),
>>         right(a1,1)&mid(a1,2,1)&left(a1,1),
>>         right(a1,1)&mid(a1,3,1)&mid(a1,2,1)&left(a1,1),

Actually the choose is unnecessary:
=MID(E59,10,1)&MID(E59,9,1)&MID(E59,8,1)&MID(E59,7,1)&MID(E59,6,1)&MID
(E59,5,1)&MID(E59,4,1)&MID(E59,3,1)&MID(E59,2,1)&LEFT(E59)

works for up to 10 characters

--
My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid. Please
remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want to reply.
0
pqaf4hm02 (126)

Payroll Split Challenge
We have a unique situation for distribution of Payroll and a one benefit expense. Example: Employee John Doe is full time salaried employee and receives $2000 per pay period. The employee wages need to be slit 50% to each of the following Accounts Location Dept Acct 01 01 5000 Wages 50% = $1000 02 01 5000 Wages 50% = $1000 They have 1 benefit expense which is based on a percentage of gross – 25% or $500 for our example. They also want the benefit expense to be split – to a single or multiple GL code...

Delete All Jobs Except 2?
Using something that would work in 2005 and 2008, I am trying to figure out how to delete all jobs except for two. Some runaway scripts have added 40+ crazy-named jobs, and I need to get rid of them all, but keep just two. Can anyone point me to the right queries to capture all jobs into a table var or something better? Thanks. Select * FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs ~ List all jobs including Job_id In a cursor or loop Delete msdb.dbo.sysjobs where Job_Id = HTH -- RJ Roberts DB Architect/Developer "SnapDive" wrote: > Using something that would work in 2...

Send/Receive #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5A17F.E6DD0490 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Since upgrading to Exchange 2003 from Ex 5.5, when we go to Send/Receive = we get the error 0x8004010F: The Operation failed. An object could not = be found. My understanding from KB articles this is associated with = Offline Address Book. It looked as if our old OAB was corrupt as when I = went to rebuild it, it gave an error. I have created a new OAB and set = it as default yet my send/receive still gi...

How do I set up 2 email accounts with 2 differnt inboxes?
I set up 2 different email accounts in the same Outlook. Is there a way i can have different inboxes set up for each one so I dont have to "Set as Default" each one and have them both go into the same inbox? tnorton <tnorton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I set up 2 different email accounts in the same Outlook. Is there a > way i can have different inboxes set up for each one so I dont have > to "Set as Default" each one and have them both go into the same > inbox? Outlook version? Account types? -- Brian Tillman -Microsoft Office Outlook 2...

Automation #2
I have created five (5) grids within Excel consisting of correlations comparing various commodities. Each correlation grid represents years of data (i.e., 5yr, 10yr, 15yr, etc.). Right now, I am manually checking each commodity across every grid to see which other commodities are closely or loosely correlated. At the same time, I check to see if these correlations are consistent across all years of data. Once the correlation is manually validated, I type the summary list into yet another worksheet. Basically, here's an abbreviated example of what the grids look like: AD BO BP C CC CD...

EDC #2
Hello, I am getting a "Connection Error" when tryging to use EDC. It is definitely connect to the Internet but RMS thinks otherwise. Thank you in advance for any help you may provide! Dan Are you on the TSYS platform? Are you getting: - "Connection Error = 400" OR - "Status Failed, Approval Connection Error" -- Jocelyn "Daniel Suh" wrote: > Hello, > > I am getting a "Connection Error" when tryging to use EDC. It is definitely > connect to the Internet but RMS thinks otherwise. > > Thank you in advance for...

DomainPrep #2
Hello I have in error whwn I try to update sp2 The solution perform domainprep can i run domainprep on existing exchange 2003 installed Thank Yes, you can run DomainPrep as many times as you want even with servers installed. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Christian" <Christian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09D7BCB8-0097-4694-ADFF-AF378FA5A8BB@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I have in error whwn I try to update sp2 > The solution perform domainprep > can i run domainprep on existin...

A challenge #2
Hi all you masterminds, I've spent some time trying to solve this problem. Not exactl because I need this, but because it's challenging. At least to me i is. So, can you make a worksheet function that reverses a string? That' it basically. - Asse -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yes, something like this. I haven't tried to code but.. Dim variable as string, Result as string Dim Length as integer, x as integer Length = len(variable) x=Length while x<>x-Length Result = Result & mid(variable,x,1) x=x-1 wend msgbox Result Cheers Paa -- Message ...

if Condition #2
Can anyone clarify my doubt please. I have 3 fields condition 1, condition 2 and condition 3. If the value of condition 1 or Condition 3 is equal to 1 then my result should show as 10. How can do this? Can I use this using If condition, then how can I do it? Maybe??? =if(or(a1=1,c1=1),10,"what should go here") saraskandan@gmail.com wrote: > > Can anyone clarify my doubt please. I have 3 fields condition 1, > condition 2 and condition 3. If the value of condition 1 or Condition 3 > is equal to 1 then my result should show as 10. How can do this? Can I > use this ...

Unable to Terminate Process #2
I want my program to be such, that the user is not able to stop it from the Task Manager. That is from Task Manager/Processes. Like in the case of 'services.exe ' it is a System runned process and the user cannot end this process..... on trying so....it shows the message.... "This is a critical system process. Task Manager cannot end this process" with the MessageBox having the caption "Unable to Terminate Process" I want my process to be like that.....How can I do that? Else....is there any way by which I can make my process invisible from the TaskManager/P...

Incoming Messages have wrong time #2
I'm at my wits' end with this. Can someone help? When the clock on my task bar is correct, my incoming email messages arrive with a time stamp of one hour earlier (causing me to think it's been sitting there for an hour if I didn't happen to see it come in) Outgoing messages leave with the correct time stamp. If I go in and click "adjust for daylight savings," the incoming messages have the correct time stamp but ALL of my appointments (past, present, and future) in my calendar are moved forward an hour! I'm serious. A 2:15pm appt suddenly shows as 3:15p...

can't delete from inbox #2
Windows ME, Outlook 6.0. . After viewing e-mails, forwarding, printing, basic mail functions, I can't delete anything. Have to reboot computer, not just Outlook to recover function. Any ideas? Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the disc...

How do I do this? #2
I have this formula I need an excel spreadsheet to perform. Can anyon tell me how to do this? I'd greatly appreciate the help. cell1+cell2<$7000 then cell1 + cell2 X 0.062 cell1+cell2>$7000 then $7000-cell1 X 0.06 -- djarcadia ----------------------------------------------------------------------- djarcadian's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1587 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46697 If cell1 is A1 and cell2 is A2, then put elsewhere =if(A1+A2<7000,A1+A2*.062,7000-A1*.062) -- Gary''s Stu...

If, then #2
How do I use an IF, THEN calculation based on the value of another cell here is one way, if this will not do what you want post back with some more information =IF(A1>10,"Greater than ten",IF(A1>5,"Greater than five","less than or equal to five")) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "new newbie" <new newbie@discussion...

Outlook addin to perform "Advanced Find" across shared folders #2
Is there an addin or 3rd party tool that allows me to search the shared Calendars of multiple users in an Exchange environment? I want to do exactly what the "Advanced Find" or "Search Folders" features do in the current version of Outlook, but I need the searches to work across multiple maiboxes. Thanks There might be some tools here http://www.slipstick.com/addins/search.htm "Jeff R." <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message news:OWtg2AiQEHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there an addin or 3rd party tool that allows me to search the shared > Calendars ...

Duplicate look_up values in VLOOKUP #2
Hi all, I've got a VLOOKUP formula functioning in the usual way. However, sometimes the look_up value is duplicated. When this occurs VLOOKUP always returns the first instance of the entry. Is there a means to get Excel to ignore entries it has already returned an entry for? The VLOOKUP is part of a bigger formula, being: =IF(AND('Dependency Log'!$A2=Matrix!$B3, 'Dependency Log'!$E2=Matrix!D$2),(VLOOKUP($B3,look_up,2,FALSE) ),"") Any ideas? TIA, SamuelT -- SamuelT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SamuelT's Prof...

Math #2
XL 2000 I make lids(tops) (covers) using a jig but I would like to figure out just how much metal I am using including scraps take a cylinder and stand it on its end. Now looking down at the Diameter and cutting along the Diameter you will cut the pipe in half leaving ( =PI()*Diameter/2). now placing the Diameter side against the inside of a larger circumference pipe there is going to be a space I need to know how to figure the size of a cover that will cover the half of the pipe and the space that is against the Diameter side So let say I have a piece of pipe 18" and I am making a c...

Using calculated item to calculate running balances #2
I have a Pivot Table of a cash book showing monthly transactions per account as per example below. A B C D 1 Acc Jan Feb Total 2 100 1000 500 1500 3 200 200 300 500 4 Total 1200 800 2000 5 Running 1200 2000 I would like to add a row at the bottom showing a running balance. This is easy enough with a normal formula eg B5 = sum(B4,A5) and copied to the right. This row gets overwritten if the pivot table expands downwards. I would think adding a calculated item must work, but I do not know how. Can someone help? ...

Error code #2
When I try to search for a clipart file I get the following message; Error code 0x8007000e not enough storage space available to complete this operation. What is wrong and how do i fix it? Are you using a ternimal server? 6898 � A Windows 2000 SP4 Terminal Server issues 'Not Enough Memory' when searching for clips in a Microsoft Office XP document? http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBN/tip6800/rh6898.htm If not your problem, refresh your MDAC components to 2.8 http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/ Look on the right pane. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.o...

dll hell 2.0?
Hi everybody! I had an application developed with Visual Studio .NET 2003 and the produced binary worked fine on both Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003. Now I converted it to Visual Studio .NET 2005 and I can't get it to run on Windows Server 2003 (no problems on Windows 2000, though). Basically if I place msvcr80.dll and mfc80.dll in the same directory as the binary, I get "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." when I try to run it. So instead I tried running vcredist_x8...

Printing on 2 sides of a page?
How can I print a 2 page spreadsheet on the front and back of the same sheet of paper? Using Excel 2008. Thanks! It depends on whether your printer supports duplex printing. Check your printer's features to find out. If it does, the setting will be available in the Print dialog. You can also do a "manual duplex" job by printing page 1 (or 'Odd pages'), flipping the paper yourself, then print page 2 (or 'Even pages')... If it's only 2 pages that might be the simplest approach. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac "Rick"...

Excel Lookup #2
I am trying another option here In one column I have alist of equipment and I want another column to look up the value of this column for example Row Column A Column B 1 15kva If column A shows a 15kva I want to put 2 20kva the value =A320.00 in column B 3 15kva 4 15kva So I get the result Row Column A Column B 1 15kva =A320.00 2 20kva =A30.00 3 15kva =A320.00 4 15kva =A320.00 Apologies I know this may seem simple to most but I am not too good with Excel ...

investment #2
You may have heard about Forex trading and seen many sites on the internet propagating this seemingly great investment opportunity. In fact, a lot of interest has been generated in this investment instrument. There are some organizations running TV commercials, offering this "Forex trading" as a sure fire system that is expected to bring windfall profits in an easy fashion to the individual investor; along-with the fine print of a disclaimer. The investor is well advised to ask a few questions. So, what is Forex? And what's new about it? The exchange of currencies is said to b...

How to print a mail merge with a 2 page template?
I'm trying to print my Mail Merge in Publisher. The Template is 2 pages. It tells me that I can not print a 2 page document in Mail Merge. However, I can not delete page 2 or figure out a way to have the Mail Merge only pull in the first page. If anyone has any solutions on this I would really appreciate it. The Mail Merge only needs to print on page 1. Page 2 is just the backside of the Postcard that I'm creating. Thanks Are you using a template? Have you setup your page as a postcard? Can you select "current page" in the print dialogue? You can copy/paste the...

mailbox backup #2
Hello, It is better to backup each mailbox, or the mailbox store? Using verita 9.0 on e2k w2k server sp4. Right now I'm doing both, but if a user leaves and the backup fails because I can not deselect them when I am backing up the entire store. TIA Eric On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:08:46 -0700, Eric K <EricK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >It is better to backup each mailbox, or the mailbox store? Using verita 9.0 >on e2k w2k server sp4. >Right now I'm doing both, but if a user leaves and the backup fails because >I can not deselect them when I am...