A cell displays many ###'s instead of the text data.

Cell is formatted to wrap.  Surrounding cells are ok.

How do we display the text?
0
BelAir (4)

Expand the column width?

"BelAir" <BelAir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Cell is formatted to wrap.  Surrounding cells are ok.
:
: How do we display the text?

0
nospam202 (664)
1/20/2005 4:35:02 PM
BelAir,

This usually means the column isn't wide enough.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"BelAir" <BelAir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cell is formatted to wrap.  Surrounding cells are ok.
>
> How do we display the text?

0
nothanks4548 (968)
1/20/2005 4:39:47 PM
If widening the column does not help.........

Excel has problems with cells that are formatted as Text when the number of
characters reaches 250 or so.

Format the cells as General and see if that helps.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:15:04 -0800, BelAir <BelAir@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Cell is formatted to wrap.  Surrounding cells are ok.
>
>How do we display the text?

0
Gord
1/20/2005 5:40:53 PM
Doesn't it (it does) "come back" at some point Gord?

When testing this, I copied and pasted several times, and the text returned
?!?!?!
While the format was *still* Text !

STRANGE !
--

Regards,

RD

wrote:

>Cell is formatted to wrap.  Surrounding cells are ok.
>
>How do we display the text?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/21/2005 3:47:06 PM
Gord' Message was very helpful and worked.  THANKS for all of your input.

"RagDyeR" wrote:

> Doesn't it (it does) "come back" at some point Gord?
>
> When testing this, I copied and pasted several times, and the text returned
> ?!?!?!
> While the format was *still* Text !
>
> STRANGE !
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> RD
> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit !
>
> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
> If widening the column does not help.........
>
> Excel has problems with cells that are formatted as Text when the number of
> characters reaches 250 or so.
>
> Format the cells as General and see if that helps.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:15:04 -0800, BelAir
> <BelAir@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Cell is formatted to wrap.  Surrounding cells are ok.
> >
> >How do we display the text?

0
BelAir (4)
1/21/2005 3:57:06 PM
Yes RD, it does "come back" after a point.

At 255+ chars the Text-formatted cell produces ###############

From my tests it starts showing text again when the number of characters goes
over 1024.

Gord

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:47:06 -0800, "RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:

>Doesn't it (it does) "come back" at some point Gord?
>
>When testing this, I copied and pasted several times, and the text returned
>?!?!?!
>While the format was *still* Text !
>
>STRANGE !

0
Gord
1/21/2005 5:39:12 PM
Interesting !

Thanks Gord.
--

Regards,

RD

Yes RD, it does "come back" after a point.

At 255+ chars the Text-formatted cell produces ###############

From my tests it starts showing text again when the number of characters
goes
over 1024.

Gord

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:47:06 -0800, "RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:

>Doesn't it (it does) "come back" at some point Gord?
>
>When testing this, I copied and pasted several times, and the text returned
>?!?!?!
>While the format was *still* Text !
>
>STRANGE !

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/21/2005 9:51:15 PM
Thanks Gord - I just encountered this problem for the first time.  I changed
the format to General and the issue was resolved.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> If widening the column does not help.........
>
> Excel has problems with cells that are formatted as Text when the number of
> characters reaches 250 or so.
>
> Format the cells as General and see if that helps.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:15:04 -0800, BelAir <BelAir@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Cell is formatted to wrap.  Surrounding cells are ok.
> >
> >How do we display the text?

0
S1 (162)

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

Query leaving out some data
Access 2003 I think this must be a pretty easy question, but unfortunately I'm unable to identify the solution . . . SIMPLIFIED SUMMARY Customer Table CustomerID Company Name 3301 ABC Industries 3302 My Store, Inc. 3304 A1 Company 3305 Mom & Pop's Shop Delivery Table CustomerID OrderID 3301 988374 3302 788362 3303 700287 3304 679028 Query should pull CustomerIDs for all Orders and list the CustomerID, OrderID and Company Name. (SQL = SELECT Deliveries.CustomerID, Cu...

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Too many different cell formats #6

Displaying a text file immediately after creating it.
I have a section of code that needs to output to a text file using CStdioFile and then immediately display it using notepad. I have tried the following, but it doesn't find the file. However, if I go to window explorer, the file is there. Any Ideas? CStdioFile af; if (af.Open(theApp.WORKDIR+"steerprt.txt",CFile::modeCreate|CFile::modeWrite)) { af.WriteString(tstr); af.Flush(); af.Close(); } HWND mainhwnd = GetSafeHwnd(); ret1 = (int) ShellExecute(mainhwnd,"open",theApp.WORKDIR+"steerptr.txt","",theApp.WORKDI...

Add text in top of chart
I have added a Line chart in my document, but I would like to write in the top (on the chart) what this chart shows. But how do I add lines of text onto the chart ? Check out Chart title in Help. If not really what you need then you can try inserting a Text Box as follows:- XL 2007 Select Insert Ribbon Select Text box (In Text block far right of ribbon) The cursor changes shape. Click on chart and hold mouse button while you drag the text box out to the required size. Enter text in the text box. XL2002 and 2003 Show Drawing toolbar (Select menu item View -> Toolbars -> Drawing) Not...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

excel data base
hi there. i need some help please guys. i have exported some names & telephone numbers from a software packag (sms centre) & im trying 2import them in2 a package called e-txt. thes packages reads csv files. ive encountered a problem my exported files r saved in excel lik this... name country code area code phone number joe bloggs 44 07977 797898 but the e-txt database fields r as follows 1st name surname phone number joe bloggs 447977797898 how do i con...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

display on first occurrence of a change in the value
How can I have a report display a text message upon the first occurence of a change in the value of a field in the underlying table? In other words, the field in this table has the same value for many records in a row, but all of a sudden that can change and I want to alert the report reader once that subsequent records are now reflecting these changed values. What I think I need is some kind of switch that changes from say 0 to 1 when that first change happens. Thanks. Alan adgon, Use the Hide Duplicates propety set to Yes. Only the first instance of each value will display. --...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Company instead of contact name in lookup aka regarding
In the regarding field, I'd like to see the option to display the company and/or contact name from within phone calls, tasks etc. It's currently limited to the contact name. Thanks! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busi...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

display 3 columns of 50 rows in stead of 1 column per row in Gridview/Repeater/Listview/Datalist
Hi there, I may have 3 columns in a table or list<name>). ID - INTeger Name - String AgeGt18 Checkbox (true false) a normal databindercontorl like Gridview/Repeater/Listview/Datalist displays per row. But I would like to display 3 columns. e.g. ID Name AgeGt18 ID Name AgeGt18 ID Name AgeGt18 1 Michael True 4 Michael3 True 7 Michael9 True 2 Frans l False 5 Michael1 False 8 Michae14l True 3 Frans l False 6 ...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...

How do I use Conditinal Format for another cell?
Assuming Cell A1 is the value "Red" or "Green" or "Yellow" How could I have a formula on Cell "C1" containing Conditional formatin the same as below if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red if A1 is "Blue" then Bacground of A1 turns to Blue if A1 is "Yellow" then Bacground of A1 turns to Yellow I assume that your statement if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red should be if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of C1 turns to red ??? Assuming that to be true Select C...

Copying into Filtered cells
Hello - I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will record a Year group's data. Each student is attached to a Maths class. I therefore need to be able to filter for a specific maths set and then copy and paste that groups test resutls into the visible cells. However, excel just copies the results into the first 30 cells in the spreadsheet (some of which are not visible due to the filter) - does anyone know how I can get excel to only paste into the filtered cells? this is an example of my spreadsheet - the filter is on maths set. SURNAME CFIRST Maths Set Teacher Paper Level NC ...

Refresh data in the quick journal transaction grid
Hi, I have a requirement to allow user to enter and save amounts in the quick journal setup screen. This is also required to update the amounts as soon as the user selects quick journal setup in the quick journal transaction screen. I have successfully updated the amounts in the database as soon as the user select the quick journal. But the transaction grid is not refreshing automatically. It refresh (get the updated amount from the database) only when I click any row in the grid. Can any body tell me how can I automatically refresh the grid as soon as I updates the amounts in the database. ...