750 KB file saves 10 times longer than a 900 KB file

We use a spreadsheet in our office that has numerous macros. This spreadsheet is approximately 750 kb. I created another file with no macros that is about 900 kb. The 900 kb file saves enormously faster that the 750 kb file with macros

I spend a lot of time waiting for these files to save all day long. I have tried moving the macros to another sheet to see if that would help - but it only helped minutely. I have no add-ins checked (I saw that suggestion on another post). Any suggestions are hugely appreciated. Thank you.
0
anonymous (74723)

I've never noticed a difference in time based on if a workbook contains macros
(discounting a misbehaving macro).

Are you saving to the same location in your tests--local harddrive for both or
common share for both?

Any chance you can disable the antivirus software to see if that's interferring
with your save.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thanks for considering this situation. I reallize there could be a number of things causing the long save??

Anyway, I don't have any antivirus software installed. I double checked the saving time for the 900 kb file in the same location as the 750 kb file, and it was still extremely faster. Neither of the files are shared (is that what you meant?)

I also had a friend save the same file on their computer and it took at long time too

Is there a chance that during the saving process the spreadsheet is updating other files? I don't intend to update any other files with this spreadsheet, but there could be a cell in there somewhere that I don't know about trying to update another document - I have seen that happen when copying & pasting between two open documents. Again, I don't intend for it to do that if that is the case

Your continued help on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you

- Davi

     ----- Dave Peterson wrote: ----

     I've never noticed a difference in time based on if a workbook contains macro
     (discounting a misbehaving macro)

     Are you saving to the same location in your tests--local harddrive for both o
     common share for both

     Any chance you can disable the antivirus software to see if that's interferrin
     with your save

     David P. wrote
     >> We use a spreadsheet in our office that has numerous macros. This spreadsheet is approximately 750 kb. I created another file with no macros that is about 900 kb. The 900 kb file saves enormously faster that the 750 kb file with macros
     >> I spend a lot of time waiting for these files to save all day long. I have tried moving the macros to another sheet to see if that would help - but it only helped minutely. I have no add-ins checked (I saw that suggestion on another post). Any suggestions are hugely appreciated. Thank you

     --

     Dave Peterso
     ec35720@msn.co

0
anonymous (74723)
6/3/2004 5:31:03 PM
From a couple of private emails:

I've never seen just that cause problems.  Are you saving to a Network drive.

I have seen posts that say that some workbooks with userforms could have slow
saves.

Maybe someone will jump in the newsgroup thread.

===

I searched the MS knowledge base and found these:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=false&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Product=xlw&Queryc=slow+save&Query=slow+save&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=150&Titles=false&numDays

If clicking on that doesn't work, this should be all one line and then paste it
into your browser.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Manually Selecting File play order from a playlist
I want to manually select which file is played and the order from the playlist. I want the file that is currently playing to repeat until I select the next file to play. I turned repeat on and that did not solve the problem. My system info: • Player Version: 11.0.5721.5145 • Operating System: XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 2 ...

format 10 sheets on same file to look like first one
Is it possible to group worksheets where the format is all exactly the same. Then ungroup to make a change on worksheet without affecting the other worksheets. To group worksheets: keep Ctrl pressed while you click on the sheet tabs If you have many: Click on first tab, keep Shift pressed, click on last tab HTH -- AP "Michael Abraham" <MichaelAbraham@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 0E1E42C0-4A8E-4D7C-BBEB-B292F1274D21@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to group worksheets where the format is all exactly the > same. > Then ungroup to ma...

Merge Like Files into 1 File
I have feedback from 26 people in different files with the exact same format and columns names, etc. Is there a way for me to merge these all into one file without opening, copying and pasting into a master file? Hi Bill, Look into Ron web he has a macro to do what you need http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm "Kentucky Bill" wrote: > I have feedback from 26 people in different files with the exact same format > and columns names, etc. > > Is there a way for me to merge these all into one file without opening, &g...

Money File Disappeared
I have no idea where the file could have gone, but it no longer exists on my computer. I have ran several different searches including the *.mny search that I have seen listed previously and the file is just not on my computer any longer. It is also not in the recycle bin. I have no idea if there is some type of virus that could have caused this or not, but I have lost everything as I did not have a backup. However, I can access the data via MSN Money and the information is from the last time I closed the file that is no longer there. Is there anyway to download the information fro...

Missing password in DSN file

"document not saved"
My users are working with a 4-5 mb excel file that they cannot save on their mapped network drive. It starts saving and then they get the "Document not saved" msg. The only workaround that works is to save it on the local drive and then copy it using windows copy paste etc I have checked the following: -The drive is not full -They have full control on their mapped drives -I have disabled the antivirus -I have tried "save as..." -I tried saving as in xl97 format (the spreadsheet was written in 97) -I have used different workstations -I have used d...

msExchMasterAccountSid
Does anyone have a solution to bulk changes of the msExchMasterAccountSID attribute? KB 278966 and KB 319047 contain information about disabled accounts being unable to receive emails. There are a number of reasons that you would want a disabled account to get mail. Both article used to say if you have a few accounts you need to fix add SELF with Associated External Account permission. If you many accounts you need to change use ldifde to export a list of the accounts, modify the result file, and then use ldifde to import the changes. However both articles now say "For additiona...

Customizations and set files
We have a customer who has an extensive customization. They now want to create a new company but not have the new company run any of the custom code. There are two obvious ways to handle this but they have their drawbacks and we’d like to see if anyone has thought of a better solution. 1. Modify the custom code to not run unless logged into a specific company. 2. Setup two Dynamics.set files, one for each company. Have one of them not include the customization. (The biggest issue I have with this is that I guarantee it will be less than a week before someone logs in as ‘sa’ into t...

.LSP text files
In Windows 98, I could search within "all files" and AUTOLISP files would be included in a search for text content in a folder. But now, in Windows XP pro, it will only look for text content within TXT files. So why not LSP? -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn Oops. Sorry. Wrong group Please delete/ignore thread. "Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creghton's Office" <bdeshawn@nospam.net> wrote in message news:O%23QEdrJWEHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > In Windows 98, I could search within &...

Can a complex Publisher file be converted to Word?
I have designed a new set of stationery for the museum where I am a volunteer using Publisher 2000 but the curator now wants all the items converted into Word because, as he rightly says, that's the only program most of those people likely to use it, understand. I have tried hard to carry out this request but have been unable to do so. The design includes a gif logo, but it is the subtlety of the placing and spacing of the text matter that defeats me. I imagine this must be a fairly common problem and perhaps there is another way around it but I don't believe that Word is capable of ...

Batch conversion of XP files to 97 files
Is anyone aware of a tool to convert multiple Excel XP files into an earlier version? The fileformat for xl97, xl2k, xl2002 and xl2003 are all the same. xl97 should be able to open the file. But if there were features used that were added after xl97, then they wouldn't be available in xl97. (But opening should work fine.) AG wrote: > > Is anyone aware of a tool to convert multiple Excel XP files into an earlier > version? -- Dave Peterson Thanks Dave, I must have been suffering from a “senior moment.” I have many macros written in Excel 5 format, so I keep a copy of t...

Failure to or Slow moving between Worksheet Files.
Hi, I sure could use a little bit of advice to solve a problem which has just popped-up in the last month or so. I have three XLS files which are all opened at the same time by a container XLS file. One of the files opens up as the active worksheet. The other two files are displayed at the bottom of the screen in the system tray. When attempting to switch between the different files by clicking on the desired XLS file in the system tray, either nothing happens or (with luck) the switch is made. It would appear that focus is given to the desired system tray button for a 1 second i...

Saving Embedded Images in Outlook 2007
In Outlook 2003 I had a macro to extract embedded images. This is it Sub SaveAttachment() Dim objCurrentItem As Outlook.MailItem Dim colAttachments As Outlook.Attachments Dim objAttachment As Outlook.Attachment Set objCurrentItem = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem Set colAttachments = objCurrentItem.Attachments Set strFolderpath = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") For Each objAttachment In colAttachments objAttachment.SaveAsFile ("D:\Doug\anni" & "\" &objAttachment.FileName) Next Set objAttachment = Nothing Set colAtt...

Email Time Stamp
Hi everyone, another question that came up using MsCRM 3.0! We have separate Queues with each having an emailadress. Here we receive our support and information emails. Now these emails come over the exchange router from the exchange server. This server is using a pop-connector to receive email from our emailaccounts. Now the question is what about the exact time of arrival of the mail message? We only see a date in the queue ("entered Queue"), NO time and they are sorted in one way or the other, but not cronological... Is there a way to have them sorted based on a correct timest...

when opening Excel Files
How do I fix this problem? this is only a recent problem WARNING MESSAGE issued [c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SBFM40.XLA' COULD NOT BE FOUND. CHECK THE SPELLING OF THE FILE NAME, AND VERIFY THAT THE FILE FOCATION IS CORRECT. IF YOU ARE TRYING TO OPEN THE FILE FROM YOUR LIST OF MOST RECENTLY USED FILES ON THE 'FILE MENU', MAKE SURE THAT THE FILE HAS NOT BEEN RENAMED, MOVED, OR DELETED. (OK) ] then excel file appears Robert Excel is looking for the Small Business Financial Manager add-in which is most likely checked in Tools>Add-ins. Un-check it and the message will go away. Also,...

Cannot convert docx because 8GB RAM and 750 GB disk space not enough
Really! I can't open a docx Word file because "There is not enough memory or disk space to convert this document." Seriously!?! For a 37kb file? Not enough memory? 27' iMac: 8 GB RAM (only 30 percent being used) and 796 GB of hard drive space isn't enough to convert a little Word document? What system configuration would I need to convert this Word document? I have a feeling that twice as much of both still wouldn't do it. It is a file DLed from MS regarding styles in the 2011 version. I used to love Word. Loved it. Have to say, love is diminishing with every inc...

Insert a hyperlink to a file on network
I am using Outlook 2002, and have trouble inserting a hyperlink to e.g. the file \\server\data files\document file.doc into a HTML message. Everything works fine if I manually exchange the space characters with "%20", which is sometimes quite tedious. Is there a better way (I do not want to attach the file itself)? dOinK >-----Original Message----- >I am using Outlook 2002, and have trouble inserting a hyperlink to e.g. the >file \\server\data files\document file.doc into a HTML message. Everything >works fine if I manually exchange the space characters with &quo...

.pst file
I know that .pst files have a size limit of 2gb, once the file has reached this limit it may start to have problems where you can't open the file in outllok or outlook will hang if its in your folder view while opening outlook. I have a user with a 1.2gb .pst file is having this same problem. I have ran the scanpst.exe to check for any corruption or damage to the file; the file is not corrupted. I created a copy of this file to work with and compress it. The file was compressed as showing 1.01gb on the disk, but this still didn't help. I have found a program that will tr...

Automatic File Saving
Hello, I need a macro that will automatically save an excel file, with a unique file name each time, it would be good if it could put the date and time into the file name. If its not possible to put the date and time into the file name, then just generating a unique file name will be enough. How would I go about doing this ? Regards Stephen -- smoran ------------------------------------------------------------------------ smoran's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27753 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4729...

share pst file?
I have a user moving to another position. He wants to create a pst file of old emails to give to his successor. I create the pst with a password, but when I try to open it (via open pst file) from another pc, logged on as another user, I get an access denied error - based on inadequate permissions. Is there any way to get around this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Nancy Note: I'm not running Exchange Server. Why create the PST file with the password if it's just for transition? Leave the password off, that's an unnecessary complication. How are you moving this PST ...

Query Question 10-24-07
I have a table with the following values: Date StaffName ExpenseType Amount Details 10/10/2007 Staff1 Medical $50.00 Attached medical cretificate 10/10/2007 Staff1 Entertainment $100.00 Cleint entertainment 10/10/2007 Staff1 Local Transport $3.50 Train Cahrges 10/10/2007 Staff2 Stationery $12.00 Stationeries for admin work I want a result fas follows: Date StaffName Details Medical Entertainment Local Transport Stationery 10/10/2007 Staff1 Attached Medical $50 $100 $3.50 ...

Windows Live Mail Contact List 01-02-10
I previously used Windows Mail and was able to add a photo to each of my contacts photo frame - how does one do this in Windows Live Mail? Thanks. -- Bugsy "Its My Bug" <ItsMyBug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A3646BA-D946-4E28-B1E2-992C1524A76F@microsoft.com... > I previously used Windows Mail and was able to add a photo to each of my > contacts photo frame - how does one do this in Windows Live Mail? > Answered in your other post - this is not a chatroom, please wait for replies. Thank you. Lighten up Gordon, it's ...

Can anyone tell me how to transfer an Excel file to a Pocket PC?
I have an Ipaq 3850 with pocket excel and pocket word. I need to make a file with passcodes that I can view on my Ipaq. Help? -- "You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want." -- Zig Ziglar If you mean password, then send it to the PDA without a password and then go to Pocket Excel and set the password from there -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "vms" <vms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:671F901A-BD27-4513-8102-E2B46...

Location of Microsoft Access 2003 Custom designed Toolbar file
Where is the Microsoft Access Custom Toolbar (the one I have created icons on) located on the hard drive? What is the actual file name Thanks! There is no particular file. If you create a custom menu/tool bar, then that is contained with the database... The options to complete hide and keep people out of the ms-access interface can easily be done using the tools->start-up options. Using those options allows you to complete hide the ms-access interface (tool bars, database window etc). Also, using these options means you do not have to bother setting up security. Try downloading ...

KB shortcut to switch between files
Hi, I normally use Mac:Excel so am coming to grips with the windows version and have a simple question. If you have a number of different workbooks open, what keyboard shortcut switches from one fileto the another? TIA Jason ___ Hi Jason, You can use Alt + Tab to go through all open applications/files. HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr To email, remove NOSPAM "Jason O" <zeugma@toucanspam.com> wrote in message news:C0631C34.6609%zeugma@toucanspam.com... > Hi, > > I normally use Mac:Excel so am coming to grips with the windows version > and >...