03Excel shldn't chg col hdrs to nos after text to col, keep alpha

2003 EXCEL: After using text-to-columns, column headers change to numbers,
the same as the rows.  Afterwards, it's difficult to create formulas to work
with in the spread sheets, especially when you want to use absolute
references.  I looked through help but found no relief.  The only way I could
figure out how to change them back is to close the workbook, open a previous
workbook that has alpha across the top, and then reopen the problem workbook.
 Excel adopts the first spread sheet's view and carries it over to the
problem workbook.  Save it then.  If anyone else knows a keyboard shortcut or
better way to revert to the alpha headers for columns, please let me know!!
Thanks!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=794b67ba-4d64-48b5-902d-e56c8c20180f&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've never seen the behavior that you describe, but you can reset
the column headers back to letters. Go to the Tools menu, choose
Options, then the General tab. There, uncheck the "R1C1 reference
style" setting.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"sohightenor74" <sohightenor74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
> 2003 EXCEL: After using text-to-columns, column headers change
> to numbers,
> the same as the rows.  Afterwards, it's difficult to create
> formulas to work
> with in the spread sheets, especially when you want to use
> absolute
> references.  I looked through help but found no relief.  The
> only way I could
> figure out how to change them back is to close the workbook,
> open a previous
> workbook that has alpha across the top, and then reopen the
> problem workbook.
> Excel adopts the first spread sheet's view and carries it over
> to the
> problem workbook.  Save it then.  If anyone else knows a
> keyboard shortcut or
> better way to revert to the alpha headers for columns, please
> let me know!!
> Thanks!
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds
> to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
> click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
> button, follow this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based
> Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=794b67ba-4d64-48b5-902d-e56c8c20180f&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

0
chip1 (1821)

money keeps downloading the same transactions over and over
Please Help! Money keeps downloading the same transactions from 3 days ago. I delete them , they come back.I keep them as mistakes and make the amount zero, they still come back. How do I stop this loop? In microsoft.public.money, nitnoy wrote: >Please Help! Money keeps downloading the same >transactions from 3 days ago. I delete them , they come >back.I keep them as mistakes and make the amount zero, >they still come back. How do I stop this loop? What kind of download? OFX, QIF? ...

Reminders keep appearing in Outlook 2007 Windows 7 Outlook Connect
Hi all, I'm currently using Outlook Connector with Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 and the problem I keep experiencing is that reminders from my Hotmail account keep appearing every time Outlook synchronizes with Hotmail. I repeatedly dismiss the reminders, yet they reappear until the event passes. I've tried setting the reminder interval on Hotmail to a shorter period of time compared with Outlook's, but this hasn't worked (it was a suggestion posted elsewhere). I don't need to 'clean' the reminders when I open Outlook because I'm not experiencing th...

Text Box Coding
What coding would accomplish this in a text box? When you enter or paste a number like this: 000027250546897 It will then become this: 27250546897 On the after update or whichever is event most appropriate. Thanks Curtis If this text box is bound to a Number field, you don't have to do anything. Access will remove the leading zeros for you. If the control is unbound, set its Format property to: General Number Access will recognise it as a number (provided you paste a number) and remove the leading zeros. If you need to code it, use Val(). Test if is IsNull() first. -- All...

Series including text possible?
Is there a better way to create a "series" that is based on characters as well as digits than what I'm doing below? I created 3 columns. I put the text in one, the digits in the second that I could apply the series to, with the 3rd column holding a ":". But when I paste into the text file, I have tabs separating the 3 columsn where I was hoping for no space. So this here - NAQAHDAH 01 : NAQAHDAH 02 : NAQAHDAH 03 : should paste like this - NAQAHD6H01: NAQAHDAH02: NAQAHDAH03: NAQAHDAH04: NAQAHDAH05: NAQAHDAH06: NAQAHDAH07: NAQAHDAH08: NAQAHDAH09 Is there perhaps a w...

Convert inbound HTML to Plain Text
Is there an Exchange 5.5 serer setting that converts inbound mail (from the internet) from HTML to Plain Text so that users can only view email as plain text via Outlook? Thanks in advance. ...

Keeping a constant cell reference through editing
I am sure the answer to this is simple, but I have searched trie Excel's Help, the NG's [via Google] and the Forums here excelforum.com and can't seem to find the right information. I am currently using Excel to produce sheets which accompany th documents our Auditors ship to storage, (we call these Transmittals). Basically, I want a formula in one cell, (part of a number of row repeated at the top of each page), to refer to a cell no matter what may do to the worksheet as each Auditor's list is taken from a Maste which I edit accordingly, (i.e. I delete any irrelevant rows...

Convert date format to text keeping xx/xx/xxxx format?
Help!!! Does someone out there know how to convert the date serial number in Date Format to text? Example: 12/31/2003 (Date Format) -> 12/31/2003 (Text Format) NOT This Way (which is how excel automaticly does it): 12/31/2003 (Date Format) -> 37986 (Text Format) Thanks a bunch gals and guys! Keith E. =TEXT(A1,"m/d/yyyy") or =TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy") -- Mike Ref to "Keith" <keith_eck@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:000001c37740$33ac5490$a001280a@phx.gbl... ...

How change receipt text?
When we use the "read reciept function" in Outlook 2003 every recipient gets the message in Swedish since our Office Suite is in Swedish. The international customers don't know what the message is all about and gets confused. How do I change the text which is automatically displayed? ...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

how can i copy comments into a cell so that it appears as text
Is there an automated way to copy comments into cells? Or reformat the cells so that the comments become the cell contents? Hi no, this would require VBA. See: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord "billwest" wrote: > Is there an automated way to copy comments into cells? Or reformat the cells > so that the comments become the cell contents? > ...

Searching for text?
I wish to search a block of text in a cell for any strings of text within double quotation marks and put this string in a new column. If there are more than one set of quotation marks then the subsequent strings should be put in the next row. Is this possible? e.g.. xxxxxx"abc"xxxx abc xxx"def"xxxxxxxxxxx def xxx"abc"xxxx"def"xxxx"ghijk"xxxxxx abc def ghijk Regards On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:15:22 GMT, newman <aa111@despa...

Vertical Alignment within a Line of Text
I have a line of text that has text and pictures. I would like to have the picture vertically centered with the text, rather than being aligned at the bottom. I am using Microsoft Word for Mac. I have tried Format>Document>Layout>Vertical Alignment>Top/Apply To: Selected Text. Doing so does not provide the correct results. Any suggestions? ...

Quick Parts/Inserting Text File
I have a two-page document I frequently need to insert into certain contracts. I notice that when I insert it as either a "text from file" or a "quick part," the formatting gets all screwed up -- the text is the wrong font, the spacing is too wide and the original two-page document sometimes turns into 4+ pages with all the weird spacing and font issues. Is there a way to keep the inserted document/text the way it is originally supposed to appear? I'm using Word 2007. Insert a Section Break (New Page) before where you are going to import your file, and...

Leading zeros with text #2
Hi, I need help on specifying the maximum length of characters contained in a cell. Additionally, once the length is specified, I need the data contained in the cell to fill the maximum allowable characters for the cell with leading zeros (if the data does not satisfy the maximum length). i.e. If I have a name such as 'gray' in a cell and the cell is only allowed to be 13 characters long, how do I get a return of 000000000gray ...

Text box bound to non-default combo box column
I have a text box that I would like bound to a drop down control. It is easy enough to set the Control Source to equal the drop down's default column value (i.e. "=[ComboBoxName]"), but the combo box has three columns, and I want it bound to a non-default column. I have tried "=[ComboBoxName](2)" and "=[ComboBoxName(2)] where (2) is the column that I want to bind to with no luck. Any info is greatly appreciated! jtertin wrote: > I have a text box that I would like bound to a drop down control. It > is easy enough to set the Control Source to equal the d...

I want the first cell of a column to be a running bal for that col
Hi! I am trying to set up a worksheet where I have different columns for each area in a budget (ie "Food", "entertainment", "security", etc) Column A&B = Date and decription of each item Row 1: Budget areas listed above Now I have done the "freeze frame" command so that no matter where I scroll, I ca always see Row #1. I would like to have a running balance for each column that I could also see no matter where in the worksheet I am. For Example, C1 = "Food" C2 = a running balance for how much is left in the food budget C3 - C(reall...

Outlook 2007 Message Flags Keep Appearing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C79AF1.3BDDB590 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm finding that I constantly have email messages showing up that are flagged but I have never set the flag for the message. Does anyone know what would be setting the flags and how I can stop them from being set? ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C79AF1.3BDDB590 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml&q...

Lock text box
How do you lock the position of a text box in Publisher 2002? You don't - but don't take it personally, neither does anyone else :) The closest technique I know of is to create a separate Master (if it's something that isn't to appear on multiple pages), put the element on the Master. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac "Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10082530-F3FB-44FB-805C-B6B5C5D8F60D@microsoft.com... > How do you lock the position of a text box in Publisher 2002? What do you mean? Is your textbox moving o...

How to keep MDI window size while cascading?
My application sets all MDI child windows to new size while cascading. What can I do to keep their sizes? ...

Disabling a listbox, yet keep scrolling functional...
I've tried many programmatic attempts to disable a listbox (created using the wizard), while keeping the scrolling functional. Now surely Microsoft considered this a quite likely use case - allowing the user to see ALL the contents, but having them non-selectable and the box greyed out as a visual cue - so I assume a straightforward way exists (i.e., one without having to take over drawing, etc.). I'll tell you what doesn't work, e.g.: disabling the control, followed by calling the CWnd base class EnableScrollBar function with the appropriate arguments. Using C++. Thanks ...

My spell check keeps switching off in word 2007
Every time i try and write a document the spell checking keeps switching off. Depsite me switching it back on, it changes back as soon as I start typing. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Can anyone help cos this is driving me potty?? Is the correct language applied to text? See also http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "geordielass86" <geordielass86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034EE38C-F6EB-44F5-A875-C55709A58B67@microsoft.com... > Every time i try an...

sorting by text
I have a list of domain names. from .com .net .org etc etc. they are scattered throughout the the list and i want to organize them. any help on this.? ryan --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You might do Data > Text to columns on the list and seggregate the elements of the "names" into separate columns. Then it would be a simple matter to group them by .com, .net, etc.........with multi-key sorts. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "rneedham >" <<rneedham.105m1r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:rneedham.105m1r@excelforum-nos...

Why do I keep getting the same e mail over and over again?
In the last few days I keep gettting e mails I have already received and read. I contacted some of the senders, it is not coming from them. I got one 10 times yesterday and another 6 times this morning. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm -- Russ Valentine "laura@rainshinerealty.com" <laura@rainshinerealty.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E3C33F3-6A16-49F9-BFD2-609395392624@microsoft.com... > In the last few days I keep gettting e mails I have already received and > read. I contacted some of the senders, it is not comin...

How to change text size in multiple, unlinked, text boxes at the same time?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I'm working on a number of figures that need various labels. When I change the size of the figures, if I need to, I want to be able to select all the text boxes to change the text size. Right now I have to do it one box at a time. I don't want to link the text boxes, that turns everything into a mess. Thanks. What Style are you using to format the text in the text boxes? If you change the font size in the style definition, all text formatted with that style will change. So pick a style you can use just for te...

IE 8 keeps crashing...any help woult be great
james_1231@yahoo.com Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: iexplore.exe Application Version: 8.0.7600.16385 Application Timestamp: 4a5bc69e Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll Fault Module Version: 8.0.7600.16490 Fault Module Timestamp: 4b2c9557 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 001bc595 OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 0a9e Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Additional Information 3: 0a9e Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 ...