03Excel shldn't chg col hdrs to nos after text to col, keep alpha

2003 EXCEL: After using text-to-columns, column headers change to numbers,
the same as the rows.  Afterwards, it's difficult to create formulas to work
with in the spread sheets, especially when you want to use absolute
references.  I looked through help but found no relief.  The only way I could
figure out how to change them back is to close the workbook, open a previous
workbook that has alpha across the top, and then reopen the problem workbook.
 Excel adopts the first spread sheet's view and carries it over to the
problem workbook.  Save it then.  If anyone else knows a keyboard shortcut or
better way to revert to the alpha headers for columns, please let me know!!
Thanks!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=794b67ba-4d64-48b5-902d-e56c8c20180f&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've never seen the behavior that you describe, but you can reset
the column headers back to letters. Go to the Tools menu, choose
Options, then the General tab. There, uncheck the "R1C1 reference
style" setting.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"sohightenor74" <sohightenor74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
> 2003 EXCEL: After using text-to-columns, column headers change
> to numbers,
> the same as the rows.  Afterwards, it's difficult to create
> formulas to work
> with in the spread sheets, especially when you want to use
> absolute
> references.  I looked through help but found no relief.  The
> only way I could
> figure out how to change them back is to close the workbook,
> open a previous
> workbook that has alpha across the top, and then reopen the
> problem workbook.
> Excel adopts the first spread sheet's view and carries it over
> to the
> problem workbook.  Save it then.  If anyone else knows a
> keyboard shortcut or
> better way to revert to the alpha headers for columns, please
> let me know!!
> Thanks!
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds
> to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
> click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
> button, follow this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based
> Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=794b67ba-4d64-48b5-902d-e56c8c20180f&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

0
chip1 (1821)

FTS: can I find texts not containing a specified word?
Hi everybody, Is there a way to find all records except the ones containing the specified word, for example, "research''? Unfortunately, texts don't have a common word that could be used as the first operand for operation &! I tried to use in CONTAINSTABLE() such combinations as "*" &! "research", "a" &! "research", but such queries found nothing. Thank you. CONTAINSTABLE is part of Full-Text Search, is it setup? Sounds like it isn't. You can use: NOT LIKE '%research%' in the where clause, ...

How to transfer iPhone text to pc, print out iPhone text
Many iPhone users have asked how to backup their iPhone SMS. They can't backup the SMS to anywhere. Then the SMS box is full, and they have to delete all of them to prevent iPhone rejecting new SMS receiving. But many SMS are too important to delete. What shall they do?Here I'd like to share my experience in this :I used this iPhone SMS to PC Backup program called Tansee iPhone Transfer SMS to transfer and backup all my SMS from my iPhone to my computer. What can it help you?- Backup SMS in iPhone to computer before iPhone reject receiving new SMS. - View and Manage old iPhone SMS in y...

Text function multinational format
Hi In one of my spreadsheets I used a text function to retrieve year from a cell. It's important to point put that I use Polish version of Excel. The function (in my version) was as follows '=tekst(A1;"rrrr")' - value of A1 is "2009-01-23". The format "rrrr" is an equivalent of "yyyy". I than had to send it to someone with an English version of Excel. Unfortunately, the displayed value was "rrrr" and not "2009". Is it possible to use this function in both versions of Excel? Kind regards IgorM Ron de...

Col head to repeat @ break
If I set up column headings how can I get these to repeat at each page break. I know I can print them, but is there a quick way to copy them so that they show on screen at each page break please Jane In Page Setup>Sheet. "Rows to repeat at top" Enter 1:1(or point to the row) if one row of headings. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:22:32 -0800, "Jane H" <Jbcrhoy@btinternet.com> wrote: >If I set up column headings how can I get these to repeat >at each page break. I know I can print them, but is there >a quick way to copy them so tha...

Text in brackets [xxxxx] after a <return>
Hi, Frequently, when writing a message or editing an answer, Outlook inserts my first name in brackets [xxxxx] into the text, after I push a <return>. This occurs if the message is written in plain text or html, but not always. Where can I find the option to avoid it? I'm using Outlook 2003. Thanks Santistas Dear Santistas, Go to: Tools, Options, and click on the Email Options button. At the bottom of that window, you will see a check box next to "Mark my comments with". "Uncheck" the box. Bob Sullivan "Santistas" wrote: > Hi, >...

Keeps finding music on external hard drive.
I moved my Christmas music from C:\ to F:\ It kept finding the Christmas music. I discounected it and saw the songs were still there. I tried to play one and said song not found remove all songs from this drive and said yes and it scanned. I plugged the drive back in when I needed some files and the Chritmas music is back. How do I get it out of WMP? Win 7 x64. Thank you, Eric Vogel Right-click Music in the tree on the left and select Manage Music Library. Is the drive/folder containing the music in the list? The first step would be to remove it there. Then, if there ...

Adding text content to Memo field
I have two memo fields, Memo1 and Memo2. Memo1 cannot be edited (its locked property is set to true). So I have the user enter text notes in Memo2, and then I have a command button that allows the user to add the contents of Memo2 to Memo1with the current date. My code is as follows: Me!Memo1 = vbCrLf & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & vbCrLf & Me!Memo2 & vbCrLf & Me!Memo1 Now I am recieving an error message: "Could not update. Currently locked by another session on this machine". I belive I have about 72K characters in the Memo1 field and was wondering if ...

curving text in Word for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I would like to know how to curve text in Word for Mac in the way WordArt lets you do that in Mac for PCs. Thanks. Que? That question came out very jumbled :-) I think you're looking for "Fit text to path", a feature which is not provided in current versions of Mac Word. The closest you will come is Word Art. Look in the Elements Gallery for WordArt. Cheers On 18/02/10 7:14 AM, in article 59bb30b8.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Edward_Schuldt@officeformac.com" <Edward_Schuldt@officef...

STDEV down, but not across, two cols??
I don't understand Standard Deviation very well - I was just told to use this function. Up 'til now, I've only had one column of numbers. Now I have two columns of five data points each. Each set across is one pair (two measurements of the same item). I don't think they want the STDEV between the paired points included in the calculations, only between the individual pairs. So how do I reduce this to only five data points and still get a valid STDEV? Or have I asked an irrational question because I don't know STDEV? ED standard deviation is the parameter for the ...

Colour coding text in text boxes
I have designed a form for my client to get a monthly overview of bookings. It consists of 42 text boxes in 7 columns by weekday - Monday to Sunday. This allows for a 31 day month beginning on Sunday. Each box contains the day plus a note of the booking and booking times. For example 27th Consultancy group meeting 10.00 - 11.00 Sales seminar 14.00 - 16.30 However, now the client has asked if the entries can be colour coded according to the status of the booking - red for provisional, green for confirmed etc. I'm not aware of any method to allow part of the text in a te...

Scrolling Text Field
I am not sure if this is the correct forum or not. I use FrontPage to manage my personal website and I am one step above a novice. On several of my pages I post rather lengthy clips of VBA code. I would like to display this code in some sort of fixed sized text field where visitors could scroll to read or select and copy the text. I have found on the Insert menu a Form>Insert Text Area control that almost suit the bill if I could only figure out how "lock" it so that the content cannot be altered by visitors. Can this be done or is there a more appropriate type...

table to text in word 2007
word 2003 had a table-to-text function where i could highlight a table and convert it to a tab delimited, etc text block word 2007 has text-to-table, but i cannot find table-to-text. how do convert a word table to a non-table block of text? With your cursor in the table it is in the data section at the right hand end of the layout tab. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< &...

same chg in mult wkbooks
I have about 45 workbooks each with very similar worksheets and I would like to apply the same changes to the same worksheets across the workbooks. The formatting of the information in the worksheets may be slightly different, but over all, the information is almost identical. I cannot seem to link the same worksheets in different workbooks, but maybe there is another way. Any ideas? Thanks! ...

Text Values #2
I'm tryng to build a spreadsheet to track employee vacations. How do I sum 8 hours if a cell has a "V" entered and 4 hours if a cell has an "X" entered? Assuming you're using column A, and each row is either the number of hours worked, or a V or a X, then use a helper column, B, and insert this in B1 and copy down.......change the A1's to A2's if you have a header in Row 1, and put this in B2. =IF(A1="V",8,IF(A1="X",4,A1)) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Brando" <carpenterchsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1113...

Match value in one column and return value in same row in next col
Hi, I have a a set of values in A1 through A100. I need to look up each value and find a match in another set of values located in C1 through C200. If a match is found then I need the formula located in column B to return the value in the same row but the next column over (D). Example: A B C D 359 375 10012 456 125 10031 125 10031 952 10052 854 444 10017 The formula located in B3 should find that the value of 125 (located in A3) matches the value in C2 and returns 10031 which is the v...

isolate number from string of text
I have output data from a program, .txt files, with multiple lines of text with one or two numbers on each line. The number I want to isolate is always in-between a descriptor, like x or y, then a units descriptor at the end, like lbm^2. Here are some example lines from the output file. I 676158.2296 lbm in^2 Axis X 0.9881 in Y -0.0059 in Z -0.1538 in The numbers do have a variable number of decimal places, like 0.9881 or 0.99, so the number of characters in each line can vary. Is there a way to ha...

Find max value from 3 cells, return text, but 2 max values same!
Hi, I'm using a simple formula to find and return the maximum value from 3 compared columns (N, Q & T) and place that max value in column U (same row). Equation in column U is: =MAX(N3,Q3,T3) SK17 EC3 PL2 Max Text N O P Q R S T U V 3 6 5 1 6 4 6 3 3 6 5 5 5 2 5 6 1 ...

Missing Text #5
Hello, I have a problem with Outlook XP (2002) that I can't find a solution for. When this particular user receives a reply to an email she sent, the frist couple of lines of the reply text will appear in the auto preview (the preview in the message listing in the inbox) but when she opens the message itself by double clicking it, that reply text is missing. I've updated Outlook to SP3 and even tried reinstalling it once. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks, Rod ...

Select Subset of Rows/Cols
I was given an Excel Spreadsheet (v2003) and asked to let the user print subsets of data. Is there a way to print out a subset of columns and rows (like using a SQL statement)? SELECT Name, Age FROM xxx WHERE State = 'CA' For example: Given: Name State Age Height Weight Bob CA 23 5'9" 160 Sam CA 26 6'0" 195 Bill NV 44 5'8" 170 Curt MN 35 6'2" 210 John CA 38 5'11" 200 Print: Bob 23 Sam 26 John 38 I am somewhat familiar with Macros (although not Excel) and SQL. It would also be alright just to copy the data t...

Plain text #2
In replying to any incoming email message (no matter the format), how does one set the default to reply in plain text? I know that it can be done by individual email, but can it be set for all replies? TIA ...

permutations of text groups?
I have different groups of options from which a candidate may choose 2, 3 or 4 option. If these choose group A they may choose any two options from a list, say 2100, 2200, 2300, 2500. I know that there are six permutations, but is there a function I can use to detail those? i.e., selecting group A will create a box (an array?) something like this: A 2100 2200 A 2100, 2300 A 2100, 2500 A 2200, 2300 A 2200, 2500 A 2300, 2500 these numbers are text, not actual numbers. I'll keep scratching around -- maybe it is some sort of array thing -- any leads you can give me will be appreciated. ...

drawing text vertically
Is it possible to draw a text vertically ? Maybe with functions DrawText() ? Thanks Hi, in CreateFont you have a parameter nOrientation in 0.1-degrees units. Bye, Holger. "Holger Gothan" <holger@friedrich-datentechnik.de> a �crit dans le message de news:bi1urj$4bs72$1@ID-193842.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hi, > > in CreateFont you have a parameter nOrientation in 0.1-degrees units. > > Bye, Holger. > > I have already tried it, but nothing was done ... Here is the code CFont *pKeywordFont = new CFont(); pKeywordFont->CreateFont( 13, ...

After update Not update Text Field
I have created a subform based on a table. Within that table there is a product name field which retrives a list of product names and prices from the Products table. I to use the subform to enter product and then get it to automatically update the price field. I have read many entries about using after update to do this, but I just can not get it to work. I select the product in the drop down and nothing happens. I am pulling my hair out. The code I used was Me.Product_Price = Me.Product_Name.Column(2) Can any one help me John wrote: >I have created a subform based on a t...

Suddenly all new messages have bold text defaulted?
About a month ago, when I open a new message to compose, the bold button is already on? How do I fix that?? State your Outlook version and editor so someone can answer. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Overdue user" <Overdue user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB3DEBD7-AF94-4732-A519-1FA9F5FA5708@microsoft.com... > About a month ago, when I open a new message to compose, the bold button > is > already on? > > How do I fix that?? ...