.xls files opening in IE rather than xls

When opening files downloaded from the web, they are
opened in an IE windo rather than the appropriate Office
2003 tool (word, excel, etc.)

From a previous post:

There's a setting in Windows that you can change.

In win98, I can do this:
Start Windows Explorer
View|Folder Options
File Types Tab
scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet
Select it
click the edit button
There's an option to "browse in same window".  Uncheck it.

That's where you can toggle the "confirm open after download", too.

How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office
Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

	How to configure Internet Explorer to open Office documents in the
appropriate Office program instead of in Internet Explorer

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS
When you click an HTML link to a Microsoft Office file (such as a Microsoft
Word or Excel document), Internet Explorer may open the file in Internet
Explorer, instead of opening the file in the appropriate Office program.
CAUSE
This behavior may occur if Internet Explorer is configured to host
documents for Office programs that are installed on the computer. By
default, Internet Explorer is configured to host documents for Office
programs.
RESOLUTION
To configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in the appropriate
Office program instead of in Internet Explorer, use one of the following
methods.

Note These methods configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in the
appropriate Office program for all users."
Method 1: Use the Folder Options tool
Note If you are running Windows NT 4.0, you may not be able to use the
following procedure to configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in
the appropriate Office program. If you are running Windows NT 4.0, use
Method 2.

Note If you are running Terminal Server on Windows 2000 or Windows Server
2003, you may not be able to click Advanced to open the Edit File Type
dialog box in step 4 of this procedure. This issue occurs if the
NoFileAssociate policy is enabled. Enabling this policy prevents users
(including administrators) from changing file type associations for all
users. For additional information about this behavior, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257592 Changes in file types and file association features in Windows 2000
and Windows Server 2003

To configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in the appropriate
Office program by using the Folder Options tool:
Open My Computer.
On the Tools menu (or the View menu), click Folder Options (or click
Options).
Click the File Types tab.
In the Registered file types list, click the specific Office document type
(for example, Microsoft Excel Worksheet), and then click Advanced (or click
Edit).
In the Edit File Type dialog box, click to clear the Browse in same window
check box (or click to clear the Open Web documents in place check box).
Click OK.
Method 2: Edit the Windows Registry
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in the appropriate
Office program by editing the Windows registry, set the BrowserFlags DWORD
value to 8 (or 9 for Microsoft Excel worksheets) for the appropriate
document type. To do this, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes

Locate the subkey for the specific Office document type. The following
table lists the subkeys for several common Office document types. Document
Type                                Subkey
Microsoft Excel 7.0 worksheet                Excel.Sheet.5
Microsoft Excel 97 worksheet                 Excel.Sheet.8
Microsoft Excel 2000 worksheet               Excel.Sheet.8
Microsoft Word 7.0 document                  Word.Document.6
Microsoft Word 97 document                   Word.Document.8
Microsoft Word 2000 document                 Word.Document.8
Microsoft Project 98 project                 MSProject.Project.8
Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 document           PowerPoint.Show.8

To locate the subkey for a document type that is not included in this
table, find the subkey for the extension that is associated with the
document type. The (default) value for that subkey contains the name of the
subkey for that document type. For example, the .xls extension is
associated with Excel worksheets. Under the .xls subkey, the (default)
value contains the string "Excel.Sheet.5." Therefore, the subkey for the
Microsoft Excel Worksheet document type is the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Excel.Sheet.5

After you identify the subkey for the specific Office document type, add
the following value for all subkeys except Excel.Sheet.5:
Value name: BrowserFlags
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value: 8

For Excel.Sheet.5, add the following value:
Value name: BrowserFlags
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value: 9

Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

For Further Information :   Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 162059

Please let me know has this helped You...
Thank you...
Raghu...

raghupg (61)

OWA and IE 6.0
Guys need some help... I can access outlook (OWA) using netscape, but when i try to access it using IE 6.0 sp1 the page doesnot load completely. Any ideas ? Thanks - John. ...

Can Excel files be converted to OFX to OFC or QIF files?
I have lots of financial data and was thingking Money might allow the conversion - Quicken says no so anyone know if this is possible? Thanks Mike In microsoft.public.money, MichaelG wrote: >I have lots of financial data and was thingking Money >might allow the conversion - Quicken says no so anyone >know if this is possible? Thanks >Mike Show patience. > I have lots of financial data and was thingking Money > might allow the conversion - Quicken says no so anyone > know if this is possible? Thanks A few years ago, I have trouble to transfer data from trial ameri...

Opening a PPM file Image
Hi everyone i have basic knowledge in opening a bitmap image and showing it. I hope you can help me on how to read a PPM File format and view it. Thanks try OleLoadPicture "dacky" <harvey.daclan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160994129.923299.221860@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Hi everyone i have basic knowledge in opening a bitmap image and > showing it. I hope you can help me on how to read a PPM File format and > view it. Thanks > > Hi everyone i have basic knowledge in opening a bitmap image and > showing it. I hope you can help me on how to ...

conversion to qif or ofx file format
Does anyone know of a conversion utility or plug-in that converts xls to qif or ofx formats...thanks RCofCupertino wrote: > Does anyone know of a conversion utility or plug-in that converts xls to qif > or ofx formats...thanks free plug-in: http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php ...

xls extension
when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I stop this happening? Hi If you go to Windows Explorer and on the Tools menu, choose Folder Options and then click the View Tab. Scroll down until you find the check box that says 'Hide file extensions for know file types. If you click this box to check it on, your .xls should be hidden. You will probably have to close Excel and restart it and then it should work. Hope this helps Ann >-----Original Message----- >when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I >stop...

Live File System format
After exchanging the motherbaord of my PC I can't formt on my rewritable drive with Live File System - only Mastered format is offered. Can someone advise please? Regads Mandy Sorry but I forgot to note in my above post the drive is DVD RW. I can't format it with Live File System - only Mastered format is offered. Regards Mandy Mastered is better anyway. if you want to lose files - use 'Live fileformat". I love Microsoft for their excellent products. But like most techies or professional people, or anyoen who KNOWS ocmputers deeply, I am so disgus...

Check out Excel file from SharePoint; if no other Excel file is op
I’m opening (checking out) an Excel file from SharePoint and trying to apply a test to see if there is another Excel file in SharePoint already open. If there is an Excel file open, I want a prompt to be displayed to a user. If there is currently no Excel file checked out, then the user can open the file without any problem. Here’s the code I have so far: Option Explicit Sub UseCanCheckOut() Dim xlApp As Excel.Application Dim wb As Workbook Dim xlFile As String xlFile = "https://globalconsumer.w.net/sites/Shared%20Documents/test/" & ActiveWorkbook.Name ...

2007 Outlook.exe process consume CPU and continues running after File->Exit
I have Outlook 2007 running under Windows Vista and have a situation where Outlook consumes the majority of my CPU cyles (always above 80% in the Windows Task Manager) and close Outlook using File->Exit, the outlook.exe process continues to run and consume CPU cycles. I can't run Outlook again unless I terminate the process. Anyone else seen this behavior? Any solutions? In my add-in list I have the following, some of which surprised me: Cloudmark Desktop (Spam catcher) iTunes Outlook Addin (? didn't know iTunes did this) Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging Microsoft Offic...

Hide Global.xls (personal.xls) in project explorer
How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want my normal project there. Helge You can't hide it, but you could give it a password: Select your project Tools|VBAProject|Protection tab Give it a memorable password At least the project won't be too intrusive. nankerp wrote: > > How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want > my normal project there. > > Helge -- Dave Peterson ...

xls attachment became dat
Hi all. Recently i received an email that was send to me and my colleague. The attachment is of xls but when i received it, it was in the form of dat. My colleague received it as xls. Is there anything wrong with my outlook? Are you using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? These two are very different programs where one can handle Rich Text messages (Microsoft Outlook) while the other cannot. The common message formats between Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express is Plain Text and/or HTML. Therefore I would double check with the sender to verify that they sent the message in Pla...

Getting Bug-eyed! Macros no longer run properly when workbook is opened.
Here is the problem that is knawing on my mind... I created a macro using the Record Macro function to import a specifi text report when the workbook is opened. It worked fine. I had t change the address in the macro so it could find the file when I was a work. The file will be placed in the My Documents folder just like i is on my home machine. The only difference is mine is i /Administrator/My Documents and the one for work has /Circulation/M Documents. I made the change to the macro and now it can not find th text file. I changed the address back to my home system (at home) an it STI...

[Visio 2003]Inserting ico file
Hi, does somebody know hao to insert an *.ico file in a drawing (without = converting it into a image file jpg/bmp...) ? Thanks ...

Saving .xls without macro
Hello, I did a search for this issue, but I can't find anything related t it. This is my issue: I have an .xlt which contains macro, at the end of the macro I save th resulting sheets as .xls. The resulting sheets are saved with origina macro. I wonder is there a way that I could save the file without th macro. I am using this code to save my file as .xls. File_Save_Name = Sheets("Menu").Range("D6").Value & Format _(Now "mmddyy") & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=File_Save_Name, FileFormat:= _ xlNormal, Password:="",...

controling a .xls from another .xls
does anyone know if it is possible to control one excell file from another. i.e lets say there are two files: a.xls & b.xls in "a.xls" cell A1 we input the number "100", is it possible for this number to automatically be populated in to cell A1 of "b.xls"??? if so how??? thanks guys -- on-a-mission ------------------------------------------------------------------------ on-a-mission's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513234 In cell A...

Window showing open programs won't close
Lately, when I use the Alt+Tab keys to move between several open programs, the window in the middle of the screen that shows all open programs remains open even after I have selected one of the open programs; that is, while the selected program opens, the window showing all open programs remains jammed open in the middle of the screen; it is impossible to work on the open file when it is blocked by this open window The only solution that I have found to close this window is to close all open programs Is there any more efficient way of solving this problem? -- MZ And this is ...

Publisher 2003 template doesn't display correctly in IE
I built my first site using a template found in Microsoft Publisher 2003. When I select "website preview" the pages are not displaying the same way I built them. Horizontal rules are not in the right place, text is not in the right place. Any suggestions would be appreciated! What do you mean by "horizontal rules are not in the right place"? Some print formatting will not convert to html. Though this article describes formatting issues in an email message, it lists a lot of possible reasons why the formatting in your web page is not as you expect it. Publisher we...

Does Excel file retain link to template?
In Word a document based on a template retains a connection to that template. Is that also true in Excel? Or does an Excel file based on a template stand alone once it's saved? Thanks in advance! Stands alone once saved. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:38:01 -0800, Sherlock <Sherlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Word a document based on a template retains a connection to that template. >Is that also true in Excel? Or does an Excel file based on a template stand >alone once it's saved? > >Thanks in advance! ...

Transfer files
Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ? Yes. -- Ronin "dan" <nospam@nsm.com> wrote in message news:O4wRREHwKHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to > an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ? > > Yes and No! "dan" <nospam@nsm.com> wrote in message news:O4wRREHwKHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to > an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ? > > "dan&quo...

Removing the Macro message when opening a worksheet
If a worksheet has a macro embedded into it, is it possible to remove the macro so that when you open the spreadsheet, it does not prompt yoe whether you want to enable macros etc Debra Dalgleish has some pictures that may help: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros Matt wrote: > > If a worksheet has a macro embedded into it, is it > possible to remove the macro so that when you open the > spreadsheet, it does not prompt yoe whether you want to > enable macros etc -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

problem saving to file an HTML email message
When I try to save an HTML email message to a file I get an error message saying "Out of memory or system resources - close some windows or programs and try again." I have closed all other windows/programs except Outlook and I still get this message. I can save other non-HTML messages as text without problem. This is with OL98 and WinXP. And ideas on how to save an HTML message? Thanks for any ideas. John Keith kd0gd@juno.com ...

temp files
How do you find and delete the temp files in Vista. Not the temporary internet files, just the temp files that are not needed. Thanks. Type %temp% in Start - All Programs - Accessories - Run -- .. -- "Karen F" <fetter@frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:%23FWmmtPrKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How do you find and delete the temp files in Vista. Not the temporary > internet files, just the temp files that are not needed. Thanks. You can also Download and use ccleaner.exe works great. http://www.ccleaner.com/ Russ -- Russel...

converting works 4.5 files to be read in excel 2002
Or can you even do this. I know you can convert works to word. Thanks for the help ...

Do installation files expand into more than one file?
Are there any files in an XP installation CD or any of the SP's that during installation expand to be more than one file? If the answer is no, I guess I'm thinking of .exe files that install programs, and in doing so expand the single .exe file into lots of files that get saved in various folders. Does anything like that happen when installing Windows or a Service Pack? Perhaps when installing a .CA_ files or a .CH_ file? Thanks The date and time was Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:07:57 PM, and on a whim, mm pounded out on the keyboard: > Are there any fi...

I'm getting files saved with names like 48A52100 with no .xls f.
I'm getting spreadsheets saved on our network with an 8-character string as the filename and no .xls file extension. Using the "Open with . . ." option they successfully open with Excel. Does anyone know why this is happening? -- Iain N Black Kelton - These are temp files created when Excel saves a workbook. Normally they are deleted when the save is complete. This might fall under the funny behaviors that occur when working with files on a network. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech...

Parsing an XML file, ERROR: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required. HELP!
I'm getting the above error thrown somewhere in the code: XPathDocument xPathDocument = new XPathDocument(FileLocation); XPathNavigator xPathNavigator = xPathDocument.CreateNavigator(); XPathNodeIterator nodeIterator = xPathNavigator.Select("/plist/dict"); nodeIterator.MoveNext(); nodeIterator = nodeIterator.Current.SelectChildren(XPathNodeType.All); where FileLocation contains the full path of a local XML file. Why is this trying to access the file via the proxy ? What can I do to fix this ? JezB wrote: > I'm getting the above error thrown somewhere in the code:...