.prn Files to Excel

Hello,

I work in a system that displays data in spreadsheet
format (display only, not editable). The system does not
allow you to copy to the clipboard.

I would like to put this data into excel to manipulate.
The only way I can see is to print to a file (*.prn). Is
there a way to open or use this file format in excel
along the lines of a CSV or TXT file. If I try and open
it with Excel the page comes up with squares and symbols
everywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray
0
anonymous (74718)

Ray,

As far as I know, you can't open a prn file in Excel and get any
meaningful data.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I work in a system that displays data in spreadsheet
> format (display only, not editable). The system does not
> allow you to copy to the clipboard.
>
> I would like to put this data into excel to manipulate.
> The only way I can see is to print to a file (*.prn). Is
> there a way to open or use this file format in excel
> along the lines of a CSV or TXT file. If I try and open
> it with Excel the page comes up with squares and symbols
> everywhere.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ray

0
chip1 (1821)
2/15/2004 2:30:51 PM
How about changing your printer to a Generic Text printer.  Then use your
application to print to a file based on that Printer.

In Win98, I could even install that "generic text" printer to print directly to
a file (not LPT1).

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

FON Files ?
Hi guys, I made some custom controls build from scratch using CWnd as the base. I want to use pixel (bitmat) fonts in some of them, fonts I can create myself. Right now I'm using that old FontEdit sample program which actually works well but I have to use AddFontResource() and they are ..FNT files and, well, it seems a dated way to do it. So does anyone know how I go about making .FON files ? I wouldn't even mind whipping up a little program similar to FontEdit to make them but I don't know where to start. Thanks, Robert A. I'm sorry this isn't really MFC. There ...

access files to excel files
Hi there I would be so thankfull if you could kindly let me know hwo to do it: I have 360 access files which each of them has 5 columns data with 200 rows. names are like: 1.dbf, 2.dbf.....360.dbf now I want to change them (at same time) to excel files as: 1.xls, 2.xls, ..., 360.xls At same directory. Appereciate your help. Best Darius Hi Darius, I assume you mean dBASE files and not Access files: Access database files have the .mdb extension and never contain just a single table. On that assumption I'd write VBA code to build and execute a series of make-table queries, something lik...

how to use static lib file in mfc application
Hi all, I have created a static library called myp2p.lib. Now i want to link this library to my mfc application. When i link this file, linking is successful but as soon as i add the header file to use this library (i.e., myp2p.h), it gives an error "fatal error no such file exist"....error is correct since i dont have any file of such name in the application....so how do i use a static library in my mfc application kunal On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:29:00 -0800, kunal s patel <kunalspatel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I have created a static library...

Listing the file name of workbook in a cell?
Is there a way to have the name of the workbook listed in a cell an have it auto update each time the name of the workbook changes Everytime I update the form I change the version number (which is i the name) but I have to update each page in the workbook, which is pain. Just wondering, McDe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com McDee From a post by Chip Pearson............ Use =CELL("filename",A1) to get the full name, including the sheet name. E.g., C:\Temp\[Test.Xls]Sheet1 Use =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))...

saving files with mapped drives
I access a vpn, when offline the drives are still mapped. When i click on save as in excel, there is an extremely long delay. If I unmap the drives, its fine. Im using XP pro and office 2k3. Is there any fix for this other than making myself logon/logoff scripts that unmap and remap my drives every time. ...

macro to move from file to file, folder to folder
I am writing/recording a macro to make changes in 64 different spreadsheets in 64 different folders on a network. I am just learning vba. I don't know how to tell Excel to move through the 64 folders, test for the spreadsheet to be sure it's there, then make changes. Most of the changes will be easy to do as I will just record them while I make them. The one change that I don't know how to make is to copy a series of long descriptions from one spreadsheet into all of the others. Any suggestions? TIA Dave ...

limiting types of files in Exchange 2003
Hello I'm new to Exchange 2003 and I'm wondering if it's possible to prohibit users from sending .mp3 files. If so, is this functionality native to Exch2003 or would it require a third party utility ? thx, chrism. you also have an ADM files that can be applied by goup policy to your outlook (xp/2003) users. there you can set up which file extensions are allowd. it ships with the officeXP\2003 resource kit. -- Omer Maydan MCSE, Security+ "Matthew Tisdel" <MatthewTisdel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F619B07-2ADE-40AA-8869-6142C3A1DB18@mic...

FILE HAS DISAPPEARED!!
I need help desparately. Last night I spent several hours working on an Excel 2002 spreadsheet and it has disappeared. I saved it routinely as I was making many changes updates etc. I opened original file --stuff.xls --- made changes and saved it as again as stuff.xls. I have done this several times before. Today, when I go to open stuff.xls, it is nowhere to be found!!!!! I have done a search, for any file modified since Thurs and nothing has appeared. I have checked the recycle bin, this did not go into auto recover nothing of the like. I am just traumatized, because I have N...

Copied pdf file into Word doc/can print/can not view in doc...?
I have copied a portion of a pdf file into my word doc. I sent the doc to a friend and now my friend says when they open the doc it is blank. But when they print the doc everything shows up printed...HELP? Does your friend have the option set to show picture placeholders, rather than the pictures themselves? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

What is a Bar Graph Icon & also where is it in the EXCEL Screen
What is a Bar Graph Icon & also where is it in the EXCEL Screen ?? hi, a bar graph icon is used in charting and tell excel what kink of graph or chart you want. it is on a special tool bar. goto tools>customize>toolbar tab. form the list, check chart. it may come up as free floating but you can dock it to the top, bottom or side of the sheet. >-----Original Message----- >What is a Bar Graph Icon & also where is it in the EXCEL Screen ?? >. > Hi it's (generally) on the standard toolbar - if you have both your toolbars on one line you may not see it - ch...

transfer files
I have been trying to transfer files from old computer with windows 98 and money 99 to new computer running xp and money 2004. Can this be done? How? -- sazy2 In microsoft.public.money, kathleen W wrote: >I have been trying to transfer files from old computer with windows 98 and money 99 to new computer running xp and money 2004. Can this be done? How? See FAQ available at http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html for information. ...

Associating .ppt files with a different version of PowerPoint
I installed a new version of Microsoft Office on my Mac However, all my office files are automatically associated with the older demo version that was uninstalled. The end result is that double-clicking on any Office file gives an error message. I get around it by opening the Application first and then using file open to open the appropriate file. Clearly this is inconvenient. Obviously, I can associate a file with the right application by clicking on "Get Info" and then associating it with the right application. The "Get Info" panel also has a button labeled "Change ...

Delete Duplicate Files
http://duplicateFilesDeleter.com Improve computer performance by deleting duplicate files Identical files not only waste your hard disk space, but also may cause system slowdowns. By deleting duplicate files you can reduce time needed to defragment your hard drives and minimize time used by antivirus to scan your computer. Sort and organize your media collections Media files collections, such as music, video, images and photos, often become the primary source of identical files. If you have a music collection of several hundreds or even thousands mp3-files, you may want to sort them by delet...

Export an Access Table as an dbase III file
I was thinking this should be simple. I want to copy, transfer or whatever the TBS Table in the VPS_TBS.mdb database and send it to our shared drive, but have the file be a .dbf file. I tried the F1 Help DoCmd.TransferDatabase acExport, "DBASE III", ' "C:\@CDATA\VP_tbs.mdb", acTable, "tbs", _ ' "K:\CPANALYSIS\BusinessMgt\VP\Access\DBASE\tbs1.dbf" I've tried this in a Macro, and in code, but ways fails. The error tells me the path doesn't exist, but that is the path. Does anyone see any obvious errors. If you kn...

OMA - Web.config
Hey guys. Ok I screwed up. On my exchange 2003 box I accidently deleted the 'Actions' associated with the .Config file extenstion. If you go into Folder Options, then click the File Types tab, you will find the extension CONFIG. If you highlight that and click on Advance you will see what the actions for that file are. This is what I deleted. :( Would someone be so kind as to tell me what should be listed in there? I believe there was an entry for run and open, but I don't remember for certain. I would REALLY appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance! Co...

Excel 2000 Newbie Questions
I have to make a spreadsheet for the first time. I have been paid for a project, and I have to keep a timesheet in minutes, which works best for this project. The time I�ve been paid for comes to 4,590 minutes. I will have 4 columns: date in A, description of specific task in B, # of minutes for that specific task in C, and current balance of minutes used in D. So I start with 4590 in row 1 column D, and my first task entry is 45 minutes, which I enter in row 2 column C. Question One: how do I set up C and D so that when I enter 45 in row 2 coumn C, row 2 column D will automatica...

GP8.0
Hi, one of the user was posting a purchase receipt when its computer crashed. this cause and issue because now each time we go to the PURCHASE ORDER DOCUMENT INQUIRY screen, we get a PRIMARY KEY VIOLATION error [Microsoft]ODBC Sql Server Driver SQL SERVER Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint PK##0300334. Cannot insert duplicate key in object dbo.##0300334. then it says : the stored procedure popSelectPoDocumentInquiry returned the following results : DBMS: 2627, Great Plains:0. i narrowed it down and i figured out that the Purchase receipt is showing in both POP10600 and POP30300 w...

tool for recover publisher file
i can't open a file made by publisher xp (.pub), i receive an error message on opening it; may anyone give me a suggestion or a good tool for recover it? thanks Could you just first tell us the error message Please... -- John G Wot's Your Real Problem? "paul" <pa0l0@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uBQGd.705386$35.28356471@news4.tin.it... >i can't open a file made by publisher xp (.pub), i receive an error >message > on opening it; > may anyone give me a suggestion or a good tool for recover it? > thanks > > "John G" <...

Excel
Dont no if this will help - but here's goes. I am doing an assignment at uni, which involves building a model o excel and then doing a report. What I am having difficulty with is that you have to convert currenc into dollars - which is the only problem I having. You had to import database with all the data on which I have done and then import conversion table from the msn website - which I have also done. What dont understand is that the book which we are using has the assignmen more or less in but isnt good on the idea I need. Its says you creat an IF statement to convert the curren...

CRM Numeric Fields change to General when exported out to Excel
Hello, I have exported to Excel a set of Invoice Records (Invoices This Month) When I open the Excel file, I notice that the Number type fields in CRM have now been changed to the General type field. Is there a way to fix this? Hey Kathy, Excel doesn't retain CRM data types. When you export a CRM View, it's as if you do a Paste Special --> Values. A simple workaround is to export the view as a Dynamic Worksheet or PivotTable, then set your formatting. The PivotTable or Worksheet will refresh with the proper formatting each time you open the workbook. "kathyc" wr...

Save a picture as a separate file
I have a workbook containing a picture. How can I save that individual picture as a bitmap or jpeg or other image file as I want to use it elsewhere as a background for an Access from? Many thanks......Jason Copy the picture. Open up your favourite graphics program(MSPaint?) and paste then save as. Or did you mean do all through code? Turn on the macro recorder if that's the case. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 01:00:45 +0100, Jay <spam@dummyaddress.spam.com> wrote: >I have a workbook containing a picture. How can I save that individual >picture as ...

Can I open a new Excel document in a separate instance of Excel?
I need to work with multiple spreadsheets side by side, and Excel's default behavior is driving me mad. I don't want all 4 workbooks open in the same instance of Excel; even the "compare side by side" is too cramped. How can I open each document in a separate instance of Excel, or a new window that I can drag and maximize onto a second monitor? Here is a link on multiple monitors. With multiple instances of XL some operations between the 2 instances will not necessarily work as expected. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/MultipleMonitors.aspx -- HTH... Jim Th...

Should se send PDB files along with EXE/DLL's
Are these very sensitive? Can anybody read these files. We want to keep our source code safe. Thanks, Dan The answer is no you should not deploy the pdb files along with your executables as these files contain debug info see : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241903.aspx > We want to keep our source code safe. Well that is hard with a .Net app as anyone can decompile your application pretty easy unless you use some form of obfuscation but even then it is not 100% safe . Want to know how safe your code is ? wel a start would be to unleash .Net reflect...

Uniform Year Axis in Excel
Hi, I'm currently in the middle of (what I believe to be :) ) my world-shattering dissertation on when world oil will peak. But I'm stuck on the simplest of issues. I have graphes (300+) which on the y-axis display production/reserves ranges for different countries and on the x-axis display a year range from pre 1900 to 2025. But the year range is not uniform e.g Pre -, 1904, 1909, 1914 ....... 2024. I mean it is actually uniform i.e in steps of 5, but I would like the axis to read Pre -, 1900, 1905, 1910, ...... 2025. I've tried fiddling around by change from line to scatter gra...

Looking for a utility to repair pst file
Anyone out there come across a utility to repair a pst file yet? Mine was simply copied while Outlook was open. Scanpst wont repair it (nor will ontrack's software or pst19upg.exe unless anyone knows how to run this utility properly) This must be a VERY common problem with a known set of symptoms and one which must need repairing in exactly the same way quite often? I am using the version from Office XP on Windows XP but can transfer it to a Mac if it helps? news.microsoft.com <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote: > Anyone out there come across a utility to repair a pst file yet?...