"Too many different cell formats" is preventing file from opening

An Excel 2000 workbook saved successfully but when attempting to open it
again I receive the message, "Too many different cell formats."

I have since learned that a maximum of 4000 format combinations are allowed
in a workbook.  I've also learned how to correct the problem.  Unfortunately,
Microsoft's instructions don't address how to get the file to open in order
to carry out the corrective actions necessary.

Any ideas about getting the file open?
0
Jed (6)

A recent post from Dave Peterson on this subject..........

Saved from a previous post:

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats

And if you ever have trouble opening this file, you may want to try
openOffice.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then
remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok.

end Dave....................

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:36:01 -0700, Jed <Jed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>An Excel 2000 workbook saved successfully but when attempting to open it
>again I receive the message, "Too many different cell formats."
>
>I have since learned that a maximum of 4000 format combinations are allowed
>in a workbook.  I've also learned how to correct the problem.  Unfortunately,
>Microsoft's instructions don't address how to get the file to open in order
>to carry out the corrective actions necessary.
>
>Any ideas about getting the file open?

0
Gord

"Too many different cell formats" error
Receiving this pop up error message when opening a .xls file. File will not open. Any suggestions on how to fix and save file? Hi Lorena XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Lorena" <lorena.l.solano@convergys.com...

What does the error message "Too many different cell formats" mean
I have a fairly large and complicated Excel file. When copied a new worksheet into this file, Excel kept giving me an error message that said "Too many different cell formats". In the end it copied the sheet without cell formats, and it will not let me format the cells. It still gives me the same error message. I cleared formats from the entire worksheet, it did not change anything. Any ideas? Check this out: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213904 tj "windchimes" wrote: > I have a fairly large and complicated Excel file. When copied a new > worksheet in...

Too many different cell formats
Recently, while working with a large Excel 2000 workbook, I encountered an error. The error read "Too many different cell formats." After clicking "OK" I saved and closed the workbook. Unfortunately, now, my workbook will not open!!! Microsoft's fix posted on their website is to reduce the file formats in the workbook. However, once you've closed the workbook, it is impossible to open it again. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. My last backup file is over two weeks old!!! Thanks, Mike It may be possible to deal with this but I would nee...

"Too Many Different Cell Formats" #2
Can anyone tell me what this means and how I can fix whatever is causin it? I'm simply trying to change some cells from no decimals t having decimals. I did test other worksheets in the same workboo and I get the same message there, too. This workbook I'm working i has probably 20 different worksheets . . . some are graphs, some ar copies of work in other folders. Thanks in advance for any help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com XL: Error ...

Is it possible to open an Excel spreadsheet that only displays the message: "Too many different cell formats" ? Thomas, I have never seen it. My guess is NO. But I am not positive. Regards, Kevin "Thomas" <thornedo@roperasw.com> wrote in message news:01e501c399a3$bcee5200$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to open an Excel spreadsheet that only > displays the message: "Too many different cell formats" ? > Previous post from Dave McRitchie in response to a similar question:- Hi Stefan, Formatting is not going to result in data loss. Fo...

Too many different cell formats!
This error occcurs when i add some worksheets to a workbook from another one. I am not completely sure (cos this is not my work actually) but it seems to me that there is not really too much (about 4000?) "different" cell formats in the workbook, but there is a quite lot amount of drawing objects (grouped technical drwaings plus autocad objects which i also converted them to bitmaps to overcome the error). I also dont understand the restriction: If i have 3999 cells formatted "bold" and another 2 formatted "underlined" this should not count 4001. True? My workb...

too many different cell formats #4
i'm trying to open a wq3 file with excel 2000 and i get the error message "too many different cell formats". please help be open this. i do not have qpro. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > i'm trying to open a wq3 file with excel 2000 and i get the error > message "too many different cell formats". please help be open this. > > i do not have ...

Too Many Different Cell Formats!
Has anyone ever gotten this message? I have a large spreadsheet. I keep adding more info and change a format like maybe text color and this message pops up, "Too Many Different Cell Formats!" It has shut down excel on me at the worst or just stopped me changing the format at the least. Copying part of the sheet to a new workbook just copies over the problem. Is there any way to stop this, or reduce the number of formats? Starting over is not an easy option. I have run across this problem in the past. Unfortunately, excell has a limitation as to how much formatting...

Error: "too many different cell formats"
I am working with a large model (25MBs) and when I try to make formatting changes I have started to get the error message: Error: "too many different cell formats" What is causing this? Is there a quick fix? The Microsoft support site discusses this error here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 I encountered this error on a large spreadsheet that I inherited from another user, who had a number of "back office" or "overhead" tabs hidden in the sheet. Even though these sheets were for VLOOKUP purposes and the user never saw them, t...

Too many different cell formats #2
I am working with a large spreadsheet (with many worksheets) that will not allow me to change/add any more cell formats and limits my additional data entry. The message pops up "Too many different cell formats". Per Microsoft's support page 213904, they instruct you to reduce the number of formats to standard formats, etc. I've tried to do that but any change backwards to standard formatting is evidently the same as new change. I'm stuck. There must be a trick to quickly change each worksheet back to a standard format. Any help would be appreciated. Excel 2003o...

Message box" too many different cell formats"
Everytime I want to format a cell (cells) such as changing the font format or making boxes, always come out the above subject message box. FYI my file size is approx. 5700 kb containing +/- 32 sheets. Thanks & regards, Hans Hi Hans! Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213904 for information and solutions to this problem. Best regards Stefan H�gglund Microsoft "Hanotto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013c01c48c1c$8ae5b7a0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Everytime I want to format a cell (cells) such as changing > the font forma...

what is 'too many different cell formats' reply?
Tommy Read this KB article On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:29:01 -0800, "tommy" <tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Check these out: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 http://www.vbapro.com/xl_formats.htm tj "tommy" wrote: > I think Gord meant to include this article link: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213904 Gord Dibben wrote: > Tommy > > Read this KB article > > > > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:29:01 -0800, "tommy" <tommy@discussions...

How do I solve "too many different cell formats" in Excel 2003
I have a workbook (about 1.6MB) that constantly gets the above. When this happens I save, close and reopen, and then I can continue for a while, until it happens again. Have moved sheets out of the book, but not much help. I have had this before, but the file size was about 3MB, and moving the sheets out and back in seemed to help. The files are heavily formatted but there must be something I can re-set or.............. When it gets to far gone, Excel will just crash and corrupt the original file by deleting ALL formatting in the book permanently. I have recently become very zealous ab...

too many different cell formats in excel
Can't insert row on excel due to above error. How do I fix it? Any ideals? The version is 2002. Check out this jassy XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "jassy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

How do I open a file with "too many different cell formats" messa.
I was recently sent a large excel file with several linked spreadsheets. I inserted one column of a simple formula (converting monthly to bi-weekly rates) and printed the results. I saved it as a 97-2000 workbook (extension ..xls). When I try to retrieve it now, the message "too many different cell formats" flashed on the screen and the file does not open. How can I get it to open and what should I do once it is open (assuming it can be done) to prevent it from happening again? Hi for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB article http://support...

error message: Too many different cell formats.
I wanted to ask if I have an excel file with multiple sheets and this error message comes up is it ok if I take the sheet I was trying to do work on, send it to a new excel file "eg. book1" and then work on it? And if I do this can I put the sheet worked on back into the excel file i took it out of without getting that message? -- Vince Hill Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about that: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 This happens in large spreadsheets that are format-intensive. Excel can keep track of about 4000 different combinati...

Too Many Different Cell Formats?
In a worksheet, when i attempt to save or do something, such as print it says "Too Many Different Cell Formats". I have looked o support.microsoft.com and came up with KB article 213904, pertaining t the 4000 different combinations of cell formats. my worksheet has wel under that amount. Any ideas? is there a way to show the amount o different cell formats in order to count? thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sascotek, sometimes i've met with this problem. As I figured out, there was two possible cause of these alerts. one, when you put more than 15 cha...

Does anyone know a way around this error other than to start over and reformat? I think you have two choices - either clear ranges of cells of their formats or upgrade to Excel 2007, which has a greater limit on the number of formats. -- Jim "Gene" <genemont@spircomfg.com> wrote in message news:jb2dnZOUOdFqjCrVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@posted.webnetmemphis... | Does anyone know a way around this error other than to start over and | reformat? | | ...

Error: Too many different cell formats
Hi, Today I got a strange error with my workbook. When I opened my workbook in excel 2007 I lost all of my cell formats. When I opened the same workbook using Excel 2003 I got an exception with message "Too many different cell formats". I realized that the exception will be thrown if the workbook has more than 4000 unique cell formats. But I am sure I don't have those many cell formats in my workbook. I really need to get my cell format back. Is there any way to get the cell/sheet format? I don't mind if I lose some of the cell formats during my recovery process. Any h...

"Too many different cell formats" is preventing file from opening
An Excel 2000 workbook saved successfully but when attempting to open it again I receive the message, "Too many different cell formats." I have since learned that a maximum of 4000 format combinations are allowed in a workbook. I've also learned how to correct the problem. Unfortunately, Microsoft's instructions don't address how to get the file to open in order to carry out the corrective actions necessary. Any ideas about getting the file open? A recent post from Dave Peterson on this subject.......... Saved from a previous post: XL: Error Message: Too Ma...

Too many different cell formats #9
Dear All I have a quite big excel and i am trying to make some changes in format and i receive the message "Too many different cell format" Probably i have many different cell formats. From where i can set up the format in order to know what must be the format of the excel file? I need away to identify the format from all sheets in order to give to the all sheets as common format as i can. Any ideas? Hi Manos, Some notes on "Too many different cell formats" see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm#formats In the MS KB article it mentions using bord...

Too many different cell formats #8
I have a huge model created in Excel and have to make many more enhancements and additions to it. When I try to re-format a section with any type of format option, I get the error: "Too many different cell formats" and Excel won't allow any changes. Does Excel really have a limit as to the number of formats it can have in a workbook? I've even tried clearing ALL formats on each and every tab and then trying to re-format and get the same error. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it? "=?Utf-8?B?cmViMjQ=?=" <reb24@discussions.microso...

too many different cell formats #7
This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it. Either no one knows or I guess it's not possible. Either way someone please respond. I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to open the workbook??? I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how to open a workbook with this problem. Is there a way, please respond soon. Thanks. It may be that the lack of response indicates that nobody knows how to open it. I sure don't. ...

Too many different cell formats #6

Too many different cell formats #5
I have one worksheet with this problem but in despite of=20 doing a lot of modifications, some time after the problem=20 is still happens. Someone know how can I efficiently fix=20 this Problem? There is any tools to help me to repair that=20 even counting up how many formats I have, best regard Andr=E9 Martins Hi for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Andr� Martins wrote: > I have one worksheet with this problem but in despite of > doing a ...