#REF,ISERROR, File Not Found question.

I have an annual summary sheet that links to 365 separate daily report
sheets. These daily sheets are being created automatically once per day.  I
use the following formula for the February 1 2005 cell:

=IF(ISERROR('C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)=TRUE,"",'C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)

This works, but of course the rest of the files for 2005 don't exist yet.

What I want is to be able to open the annual spreadsheet up every day, and say
'YES' to the 'update links to other spreadsheets' question, and to NOT have
Excel tell me it couldn't find the rest of the 2005 daily files (the File not
Found dialog box).
Is there a way to do this or supress this dialog box!
Thank you.

Try putting

application.displayalerts=false

in the ThisWorkbook sheet in Object in VB.

Not sure if it will work or not... I can't test... but it is worth a shot

"FlaProcessEng" <FlaProcessEng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an annual summary sheet that links to 365 separate daily report
> sheets. These daily sheets are being created automatically once per day.
> use the following formula for the February 1 2005 cell:

=IF(ISERROR('C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)=TRUE,"",
'C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)

> This works, but of course the rest of the files for 2005 don't exist yet.
>
> What I want is to be able to open the annual spreadsheet up every day, and
say
> 'YES' to the 'update links to other spreadsheets' question, and to NOT
have
> Excel tell me it couldn't find the rest of the 2005 daily files (the File
not
> Found dialog box).
> Is there a way to do this or supress this dialog box!
> Thank you.

0
eluehmann (8)
2/2/2005 4:33:54 PM
I can't think of a way.

If I were doing this, I think I'd build the formulas as text:

$$$=if(iserror(.....

then when the workbook for that month became available, I'd do an edit replace
to change $$$= to = (to convert the text to formulas).

Or maybe even build dummy workbooks that could serve as placeholders.  Just
populate them with errors.

Option Explicit
Sub BuildDummyWorkbooks()
    Dim testStr As String
    Dim iCtr As Long
    Dim myFolder As String
    Dim newWks As Worksheet
    Dim myFileName As String

    myFolder = "c:\reports\daily_2005"
    If Right(myFolder, 1) <> "\" Then
        myFolder = myFolder & "\"
    End If

    'check for folder
    testStr = ""
    On Error Resume Next
    testStr = Dir(myFolder & "nul")
    On Error GoTo 0

    If testStr = "" Then
        MsgBox "Please create the output folder"
        Exit Sub
    End If

    'create a dummy worksheet in a new workbook
    Set newWks = Workbooks.Add(1).Worksheets(1)
    newWks.Range("a1:z999").Value = CVErr(xlErrRef)

    For iCtr = DateSerial(Year(Date), 1, 1) To DateSerial(Year(Date), 1, 31)
        myFileName = myFolder & "Daily_" & Format(iCtr, "mmmdd") & ".xls"
        testStr = ""
        On Error Resume Next
        testStr = Dir(myFileName)
        On Error GoTo 0

        If testStr = "" Then
            'not there
            newWks.Parent.SaveAs Filename:=myFileName, _
                  FileFormat:=xlWorkbookNormal
        End If
    Next iCtr

    newWks.Parent.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

I filled A1:Z999 with errors.  Adjust as necessary.

--

Dave Peterson
0

For iCtr = DateSerial(Year(Date), 1, 1) To DateSerial(Year(Date), 12, 31)

if you need all 12 months.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks for the help!  The Post from Dave Peterson suggests creating 365
blank files, I guess I might end up with that, but I hate that solution -
there should be a neater way to fix this.
Allen

"eluehmann" wrote:

> Try putting
>
> application.displayalerts=false
>
> in the ThisWorkbook sheet in Object in VB.
>
> Not sure if it will work or not... I can't test... but it is worth a shot
>
> "FlaProcessEng" <FlaProcessEng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have an annual summary sheet that links to 365 separate daily report
> > sheets. These daily sheets are being created automatically once per day.
> > use the following formula for the February 1 2005 cell:
> >

> =IF(ISERROR('C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)=TRUE,"",
> 'C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)
> >
> > This works, but of course the rest of the files for 2005 don't exist yet.
> >
> > What I want is to be able to open the annual spreadsheet up every day, and
> say
> > 'YES' to the 'update links to other spreadsheets' question, and to NOT
> have
> > Excel tell me it couldn't find the rest of the 2005 daily files (the File
> not
> > Found dialog box).
> > Is there a way to do this or supress this dialog box!
> > Thank you.

I might end up creating the 365 blank files as you suggested.  I tried the
other suggestion, making a macro with
'application.displayalerts=false' in it, and I can't get it to work.  It
seems like there
should be a neater solution than having all those blank files out there.
Thanks for the help,
Al

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> [...]
> > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> >
> > FlaProcessEng wrote:
> > >
> > > I have an annual summary sheet that links to 365 separate daily report
> > > sheets. These daily sheets are being created automatically once per day.  I
> > > use the following formula for the February 1 2005 cell:
> > >
> > > =IF(ISERROR('C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)=TRUE,"",'C:\reports\daily_2005\[DAILY_FEB01.xls]Report'!R20C16)
> > >
> > > This works, but of course the rest of the files for 2005 don't exist yet.
> > >
> > > What I want is to be able to open the annual spreadsheet up every day, and say
> > > 'YES' to the 'update links to other spreadsheets' question, and to NOT have
> > > Excel tell me it couldn't find the rest of the 2005 daily files (the File not
> > > Found dialog box).
> > > Is there a way to do this or supress this dialog box!

I'm not sure if there are neater solutions, but there are always alternatives.

Maybe you could have a macro populate the formulas--but only if they exist.

Maybe you could use a User defined function that verifies the existence of the
workbook first.

Option Explicit
Function FileExists(myFileName) As Boolean

    Dim testStr As String

    FileExists = False

    On Error Resume Next
    testStr = Dir(myFileName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    FileExists = CBool(testStr <> "")

End Function

Then you could use it in a worksheet formula like:

=IF(fileexists("C:\My Documents\excel\book4.xls"),
      'C:\My Documents\excel\[book4.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1,"")
(all one cell)

Harlan Grove wrote a function called Pull that allows you to get values from
closed workbooks when the reference is wrapped in =Indirect().

You may want to look to see if it's useful for you.

http://google.co.uk/groups?threadm=ASAuc.4700%24H4.12%40www.newsranger.com

You could even put the portions of the filename that don't change in a couple of
cells.
and the portion that varies in another cell and build the reference inside that
into your formula.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'm not sure if there are neater solutions, but there are always alternatives.
>
> Maybe you could have a macro populate the formulas--but only if they exist.
>
> Maybe you could use a User defined function that verifies the existence of the
> workbook first.
>
> Option Explicit
> Function FileExists(myFileName) As Boolean
>
>     Dim testStr As String
>
>     FileExists = False
>
>     On Error Resume Next
>     testStr = Dir(myFileName)
>     On Error GoTo 0
>
>     FileExists = CBool(testStr <> "")
>
> End Function
>
> Then you could use it in a worksheet formula like:
>
> =IF(fileexists("C:\My Documents\excel\book4.xls"),
>       'C:\My Documents\excel\[book4.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1,"")
> (all one cell)
>
> Harlan Grove wrote a function called Pull that allows you to get values from
> closed workbooks when the reference is wrapped in =Indirect().
>
> You may want to look to see if it's useful for you.
>
> http://google.co.uk/groups?threadm=ASAuc.4700%24H4.12%40www.newsranger.com
>
> You could even put the portions of the filename that don't change in a couple of
> cells.
> and the portion that varies in another cell and build the reference inside that
> into your formula.
>

> FlaProcessEng wrote:
> >
> > I might end up creating the 365 blank files as you suggested.  I tried the
> > other suggestion, making a macro with
> > 'application.displayalerts=false' in it, and I can't get it to work.  It
> > seems like there
> > should be a neater solution than having all those blank files out there.
> > Thanks for the help,
> > Al
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Ps.  I only went through Jan 31 for my tests.
> > >
> > > For iCtr = DateSerial(Year(Date), 1, 1) To DateSerial(Year(Date), 12, 31)
> > >
> > > if you need all 12 months.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

#Ref! in cells of row linked to deleted row
Does one just delete the row? Why wasn't it just deleted like the row i the database since it was linked to it? Thanks, Trud -- lburg80 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lburg801's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2833 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48026 ...

Sales Literature file attachment size
I have sales literature files that are about 20 mb. I try to attach them, but after they appear to attach, I get a blank screen and when I try to access, they are not attached. Small attachments will work. Is there any way to increase allowable attachment size or could this be a problem with the installation? Installation is on SBS 2003. CRM 1.2 had a 5mb attachment limit but this could be increased...the registry entry should also work on crm 3.0. Here is the 1.2 registry setting..be aware though this will allow anyone to upload large attachments.. You can increase this default by...

Error:Your AutoCorrect file, C:\Users\........\AppData\Roaming\Mic
I upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 home premium. I have Microsoft Office for small business 2007 installed which worked fine with Vista home premium. Since I upgraded the To: field in Outlook no longer populates. I have checked in Tools>Options>Email Options>Advanced Email Options>Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields. I made sure it is checked and restarted Outlook but the Auto Fill still is not working. I have unchecked, restarted Outlook, re-checked and it still doesn’t work. I have run Office Diagnostics and it comes up with no p...

Closing an excel file causes a .txt file to be generated
This seems to happen with only a few (10) files that have Macros. When you close out of a locally stored excel file (not saving it) a .txt file is generated. I have duplicated this on Excel 97 and 2002. All the .txt file contains is "updating menu". Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks, Jesse ...

outlook 2000 help file

How can I save one page of my publication as a JPEG file?
I would like to save the first page of a publication as a picture so I can post it to my website and create a hyperlink for people to download copies of the publication. I know I can do this as I have done it once. I just don't remember how and now can not recreate the steps. Any help would be appreciated. If you are using Pub 2003, you can File > Save As and in Save As Type choose JPG, GIF and other image formats. However, I think you would be better served if you convert the page to a PDF file. It is likely to look much better and be a faster download. You can go to www.pri...

File->Open problem
Hi all, I've overridden Serialize() in order to save & load the models that my App creates. If I fire the App up and select File->Open then it throws a file dialog and opens the selected file. If I then create new model using my overridden OnFileNew() then it does as it should. But, if I go to File->Open then it throws a file dialog, lets me select a file and then does nothing. I clearly need to do something else, but am not sure what. Any ideas? Paul. Define "does nothing". For example, did you put a breakpoint in your Serialize() methods and see if they are ca...

Macro to switch to another sheet, grab ref to any cell, paste ref in current sheet??
I am looking for a way (either macro or VBA) to perform one simple task: while in *any cell* of your choice in the current worksheet, switch to another specific sheet, choose *any* cell, grab a reference to that cell (not its value), switch back to the first worksheet and slap in the reference of the cell in the other sheet. This would be the automated equivalent of doing the following manually: 1) Select *any cell* (say *F11*) in the current sheet (Call it "*Destination*"). 2) Press "=" (no "ENTER") 3) Click the tab for the other sheet (call it "*Source*&...

pdf files won't save to laptop
I cannot save a pdf file from any website to my laptop, a 32-bit HP machine running Vista Home Premium. I've tried while using Acrobat Reader and Foxit Viewer. On my XP desktop it is not a problem. Any solution in Vista? Thanks, GsoJayhawk -- gsojayhawk Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com Absoolutely no difference between Vista & WInXP in this respect. It's definitely nothing todo with Operating System, but rather depends on what Adobe components you installed. Make sure your laptop's Adobe software + print/etc. drivers are as complete, as on des...

Upgrading pst file to Outlook 2003 pst
I have an Outlook 2000 file and I want to upgrade it to an Outlook 2003 pst file. How can I do that? Jon ...

IS PST files Auto compact
I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file size reduce by itself atually before compacting. antonia_jasper@yahoo.com <antonia_jasper@yahoo.com> wrote: > I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of > outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. > > when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file > size reduce by itself atually before compacting. According to Micr...

Back up file
I would like to ask if I back up the file..could the back up file to be destine in another drive or desktop instead of following the mother file? In times like this, both the file and the back up file would be gone if someone deleted them as they share the same folder and store in the same drive. Thanks. Shirley Hi! All files saved are saved to the location you specify in Tools>Options>General>Default File Location. You'd have to move the backup to another location manually. Biff "Shirley" <Shirley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B63ADF...

Question combining spreadsheets
I have two spreadsheets with a common field, being user name. I would like to somehow automate combining these. One does have more users than the other. Is it possible (macros or something else) to do a search for a name from xls1 in xls2, then grab data next to that name from xls2 and put it back in xls1. TIA, Paul Paul, Take a look at the VLOOKUP function, and use it to look up information keyed to your common name. If your common name is in column A, and you want to extract all the data from workbook 2 named "Workbook 2", on a sheet named "Data Sheet", wit...

How do I insert the date the file was saved in the MS Excel foote.
I am trying to display the date the file was last saved in the footer field. the defualt date code displays the date the file was printed. I would appreciate any help with this. Hi kacate Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#Saved -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "kacate" <kacate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F65885A-DC2D-4515-A0D2-5E39B7905FCF@microsoft.com... >I am trying to display the date the file was last saved in the footer field. > the defualt date code displays the date the file was printed. I would > apprec...

Can not open file
I have a workbook which I built with vlookups and charts. When I went back today to open it it starts to open then asks if I would like to enable/disable macros. I have done both enable and disable after I hit the button it closes excel down completely. It only does this with this file? Hi sounds like a corrupted file. You may try using OpenOffice (seems to be able to open such files): www.openoffice.org -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pat Quinn" <pquinn@biolabinc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:a34001c4d6fa$16da9b90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have a workbo...

Save File in Desired Location & Name
Hi, Need ur help to design macro which can save the file in desired location & save with desired name. I do run a Macro on daily basis, which pulls data from system based on Yesterday dates. Can you please write a macro. File Name Should be : Tariff IHE - "Yesterday Date" File Location : C:My Documents/Reports/ Best Regards, Kam Change the names to protect the innocent: Sub SaveProperly() Dim wb As Workbook, dt As String Set wb = ActiveWorkbook st = Format(Date - 1, "mm_dd_yyyy") fname = "C:\Documents and Settings\jravensw\Desktop\Tariff IHE...

Question re: Outlook & Outlook Express
I use Outlook for all my emails & Outlook Express for news groups. Each has a different email address. When I "Reply to Group" in Outlook Express, no problem. When I select "Reply", I am prompted for an Outlook profile ( I have two) which, as I understand it, will cause the message to be sent with the Outlook profile and its corresponding email address that I select. Do I need to create a profile or email account or both in Outlook Express or add a profile to Outlook? Either way it would be a different email address than the two in Outlook. I must use a different ...

Any way to fix outlook.pst file?
Hi All, I regularly use outlook 2k. I let the pst file exceed 2 gigs. Didn't know there was a file size limit (duh!). So, it's now 2,069,264 KB. It won't load. Gives an error every time I try. Just for kicks, I copied it to a 2003 outlook, thinking since it's limit is higher (info I got here, if correct), it should work. Then I could compact/repair, whatever. However, it won't load on 2003 either--same error. Says I need to run scanpst.exe. I try, and it also gives me an error that says it can't continue. Any way to save this file, reduce it, and make it work...

Turn Off Updating of Ref Fields in Word 2007
I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure everywhere they inserted the field. I unlinked the extra graphics from the paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2." Now the document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in. If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100 extra graphics being inserted into the document. I need to turn off the Auto Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck i...

when i upgraded my files disapeared
i was using the beta for office 2003 and it expired on november30. i went out and bought 2003pro and tried to install it. the beta said that it needed to be uninstalled before i could install the full version. the beta didnt let me back up any information and when i uninstalled it it took all of its info and settings with it. i lost all contacts emails and settings. is there any i can get those back? >the beta said that it needed to be >uninstalled before i could install the full version. the >beta didnt let me back up any information and when i >uninstalled it it took all ...

auto import date/time from .txt file
is it possible for excel to automatically import date/time info from a .txt file in the following format: "LASAIR110","04/05/19","15:47:41",2700.0,45.00,"V6.3",0,0,0 ,1,433,486,236,113,294,196,103,328,4.993,1.0000,0.000,0.000 ,0.000,0.000,0.000,"22de", "LASAIR110","04/05/19","16:33:15",2700.0,45.00,"V6.3",0,0,0 ,1,458,432,163,55,107,55,46,139,5.007,1.0000,0.000,0.000,0. 000,0.000,0.000,2299, thanks in advance Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "D. Reid" <...

Merge publisher files
I have got two publisher files - One for page 1-36, and the other for page 37 to 52. I would like to merge them in one. Possible and how? As far as i can see, its not possible to export to word - that would have been a solution anyway Best regards Edvard Korsb=E6k Open the file of 1-36; insert new pages 3 to 52. While the now 1 to 52 file is open, start Publisher again open file 37 to 52. Now copy/paste pg 37, then 38, then 39 and so on. -- Don Vancouver, USA <Edvard@bb-soft.dk> wrote in message news:1164034894.324259.310340@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... I have got two pu...

Anybody Help with previous question
Hi, I'm getting desperate to solve this, so my apologies for posting this again, but can anybody offer any help with this previous question. If the link doesn't work I have copied the orig question below. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?pg=4&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&fltr=&mid=4044fba5-9f57-4be7-85a7-92ebb9093772 I have (been given) the code below that will add a row of 'jobs' to a worksheet named 'Database'. There isa check to see if these jobs have been already added a...

Compare text in 2 different files
I am using Excel 2003 and have two files containing mailing information. I need to check and see which companies are on both lists. I can't use a VLOOKUP formula because some of the company names are slightly different. e.g. One may have a LLC or Inc. at the end and the other doesn't. Is there a formula I can use to compare the first 4 or 5 letters in the company name between the two files? Thanks! Paige Assume you're 2 lists are in A1:A10 and B1:B10 (change to fit your data). Also change the 4 in the LEFT() function to be the number of characters you want to com...

file sharing
i have installed mcAfee on my pc. i run to computers and i cna no longer fileshare due to this progam. can you please tell me how to over come this thanks On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:29:27 GMT, "benenden" <u32658@uwe> wrote:>i have installed mcAfee on my pc. i run to computers and i cna no longer file>share due to this progam. can you please tell me how to over come this >thanksYou're asking in the wrong place. This newsgroup is for the database softwareMicrosoft Access, not for general computer questions.I'd address your question to McAfee tech support at www.mcafe...