"File Format is not valid" message - Excel 2000

Hi there,
I have a spreadsheet that I've been using successfully.  I don't recall
anything that might have caused file corruption.  However, now, when I try
to open the file, I get the message "File Format is not valid".  But, the
excel icon is shown and in a file list, it's displayed as type Excel.  Any
ideas how I can open this file??

Thanks in advance.

0
momaljj (3)

The message you sent later appears to have been to
cancel this post you said it was a Word file with an .xls  file
extension.    Opening an Excel file in word  is one way of
destroying an Excel file.

If that is the case you would want to copy the file and work
on the copy perhaps by opening the copy in Word and
copying and pasting into Excel.

Regardless,  you should be backing up your data, so you
can restore from a backup.  (backup and recovery in ...)
      http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
 ---
HTH,

"BP" <momaljj@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uXypCsJ4DHA.564@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi there,
> I have a spreadsheet that I've been using successfully.  I don't recall
> anything that might have caused file corruption.  However, now, when I try
> to open the file, I get the message "File Format is not valid".  But, the
> excel icon is shown and in a file list, it's displayed as type Excel.  Any
> ideas how I can open this file??
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

File format is not valid #2
Can anyone help me with this. I tried to open an existing file (which a number of people have access to) and it has come up with this error. Can it be fixed? Thanks heaps. Is it an xls file? "FB" wrote: > Can anyone help me with this. I tried to open an existing file (which a > number of people have access to) and it has come up with this error. > Can it be fixed? > Thanks heaps. Yes. And it worked just fine a week ago prior to someone doing something to the file. "exceluserforeman" wrote: > Is it an xls file? > > "FB" wrote: >...

323626
Hello all. From this KB article:- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=% 2Fservicedesks%2Fbin%2Fkbsearch.asp%3FArticle%3D323626 I got one of my EU's to change the UPPER CASE "ID" letter in his XLS file to lowercase. This was done in WORDPAD. The text was changed and he clicked on SAVE. This spreadsheet had multiple workbooks in it. When he opened it in XL, the above error message was gone but so were the rest of the XLS workbooks and only the first one is there now. Can someone tell me what happened please? Can I get this file back to the way it was? (Checkin...

Error: File format is not valid
Every time I try to open an Excel file I get the error message: <file name.xls>: file format is not valid. I tried opening the same file in Excel 97, and Excel XP, on two different computers but still get the same error message. The file size is 1.93 MB. Any idea to help remedy this problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Yama. From a previous post: If the files are really corrupted, do you have backups? === Sometimes excel workbooks get corrupted. One cause is opening them from a floppy and saving to that floppy. (Instead you should use windows explorer to copy to ...

File Format is not valid
I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for some reason we can no longer open. I have tried to restore from backup all the way back into November but get the same error: File Format is not valid We had been able to get into the file up until recently. Thanks for the help. try to open in a different version of excel like xl2002 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Patriot" <mannyg@satx.rr.com> wrote in message news:e3yWOsWqDHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for some...

file format is not valid?
We opened an Excel 2002 file emailed to us in our Excel 2000 program. Ever since then, we get an "error (9.0.6926SP-3) File Format is not Valid" message, but allows the workbook to be opened anyway. Even now when we open a blank (New) workbook file, the same error message appears, but allows the program to proceed. How do you get rid of this error nuisance? James It sounds to me like you have something (not an excel workbook) in your XLStart folder. It could also be in the folder that's specified under: Tools|options|General tab: "at startup, open all files in:"...

file format is not valid
I changed computers and copied some excel files from my old computer. When I go to open them on the new computer I get the message file name .xls:file format is not valid. I am using the same excel programs as on my old computer. Thanks whoever. It sounds like the files have become corrupted in the copy. Hopefully you have the old machine! If not, try opening with Excel 2003, it can do some recovery. Open Office is even better at recovery I hear. Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "elaines" &l...

xls file format is not valid
Have an XP PC trying to open an Excel 97 file that is stored on a Windows 2000 server named survey.xls and getting an error that the .xls:file format is not valid. We are using the same program that created it. How do we open it. Thanks for your help!!!! Try to copy your file and rename it making sure that the extension is .xls An extra period or space could make all the difference. Otherwise, you file could have been corrupted. Not a happy thought Let me know if this helped you Jack I'd try to open a copy of the file from a local harddisk, too. But sometimes excel workbooks g...

message
I cannot now open an EXCEL file I created some while ago. Instead I get a message saying file format is invalid. File name is less than 219 characters. I can see what is in the file using Quick View. How can I restore access to file using EXCEL? Maybe try Inserting it into a blank Excel sheet.........or try opening it in Excel XP, or even MS Word........ Does it for sure have an .xls extention......maybe someone opened it in another program and saved it as some thing else...... hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "robert potts" <annebob@sr82nf.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in me...

.xls: file format is not valid
One of my users created a file. When trying to open the file, either through Excel or directly from My Documents, he is getting an error message <filename>.xls: file format is not valid. I am able to open the file through Word. How can I get it to open in it's original format in Excel? TIA Kim That's the problem, someone opened the excel file in word, when he/she closed the file in word they got prompted to save the file, when he/she did that, it cannot be opened in excel anymore. You could rescue some parts by copying and pasting from word but lots of stuff will be gone...

40Stand.dot:file format is not valid
move it out of your XLStart folder??? Beth wrote: -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

[External Copy or SYLK] file format is not valid
I am moving to a new computer. I have WIN98SE on my old computer and WIN XP on the new one. I have Excel 97 and I am trying to transfer my data to the new computer. I get the above message when I try to open a file in XP. What is the problem? Thanks in advance, Bill. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

error massage
When i want to open my xls file, error message came out, and caused me not able to open the file. The error message is "file format is not valid !". Can anybody pls help. Sometimes excel workbooks get corrupted. One cause is opening them from a floppy and saving to that floppy. (Instead you should use windows explorer to copy to your harddrive/LAN drive), work on it from there, save it there and use windows explorer to copy it back to the floppy.) Another is opening the workbook in MSWord and saving it as an MSWord document (with a .xls extension). If you did the MSWord thin...

Spreadsheet (version 1).xls: file format is not valid
My question was not posted from Tuesday, March 30, 2010, so I am asking again. Windows 7, excel 2007, while spreadsheet open, not necessarily in the middle of editing, arbitrarily goes to recovering the spreadsheet, then document recovery comes up on the left and the message as in the subject line appears. A converter was added about a week ago, that has been removed, but still having the issue. Please help. ...

My document won't open, tells me file format is not valid
I have tried to open an excel document IN Excel and it isn't opening. I get an error message that says the file format is not valid. What happened? I did open the file ONCE with Word. Could I have screwed it up by doing that? I don't know how to get the file open in excel. HELP! >>Could I have screwed it up by doing that? Oh yes. :-( Better start looking for a backup. Excel 2002/3 each have repair facilities in them but i wouldn't hold out much hope in this instance - Worth a try if you have access to them though - Just hit File / Open and then click on the dropdown...