"cannot be accessed" error opening file on network

Using Office Excel 2003, I get the error message "filename.xls cannot be
accessed.  The file may be read-only..." that is in the article 835234, but I
get it when I am trying to OPEN the file from a network location.  I've tried
changing the properties on the network file.  Any help on how to get the
network copy open?
0
SteveM (28)

Debra Dalgleish has a FAQ at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly

That says to try this with files stored locally:

Q.  All of a sudden a number of my Excel 2000 files have become "read-only".
A.  Clear out c:\windows\temp directory on the machine that houses the files,
    then reboot.

Since the workbook is on a network share, you may have to reboot the server.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Debra Dalgleish has a FAQ at:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly
>

> That says to try this with files stored locally:
>
> Q.  All of a sudden a number of my Excel 2000 files have become "read-only".
> A.  Clear out c:\windows\temp directory on the machine that houses the files,
>     then reboot.
>

> Since the workbook is on a network share, you may have to reboot the server.
>

> Steve M. wrote:
> >
> > Using Office Excel 2003, I get the error message "filename.xls cannot be
> > accessed.  The file may be read-only..." that is in the article 835234, but I
> > get it when I am trying to OPEN the file from a network location.  I've tried
> > changing the properties on the network file.  Any help on how to get the
> > network copy open?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
SteveM (28)
10/25/2004 3:53:04 PM
Your server is unbootable?  Scary thought

"Steve M." <SteveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Rebooting the server was not an option.  I copied the file to my local
: machine and followed the instructions.  No luck.
: I was able to bring in some of the data in the file by using the Open and
: Repair option.  Unfortunately, only about 1/2 of the records were there.
: When I was working with the file before the problem, there were some files
: being created with 8 character file names and no extension, if I recall
: correctly.  The file may have been getting split off and the other records
: were possibly contained therein.
: We will just rebuild the file since our last copy.  thanks for the idea.
:
: "Dave Peterson" wrote:
:
: > Debra Dalgleish has a FAQ at:
: > http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly
: >
: >
: > That says to try this with files stored locally:
: >
: > Q.  All of a sudden a number of my Excel 2000 files have become "read-only".
: > A.  Clear out c:\windows\temp directory on the machine that houses the
files,
: >     then reboot.
: >
: >
: > Since the workbook is on a network share, you may have to reboot the server.
: >
: >
: >
: >
: > Steve M. wrote:
: > >
: > > Using Office Excel 2003, I get the error message "filename.xls cannot be
: > > accessed.  The file may be read-only..." that is in the article 835234,
but I
: > > get it when I am trying to OPEN the file from a network location.  I've
tried
: > > changing the properties on the network file.  Any help on how to get the
: > > network copy open?
: >
: > --
: >
: > Dave Peterson
: > ec35720@msn.com
: >

0
nospam202 (664)

Filename cannot be accessed
I am using Excel 97 with Windows 98. I am able to open, edit and save Word 97 and PowerPoint 97 documents. However, everytime I try to open ANY Excel 97 document, I receive a message stating, "Filename cannot be accessed. the file may be read only or you may be trying to access a read only location or the server the document is stored on may not be responding." I then have to save it locally and work on it there. However, if I put it back on the network, the same issue exists. Any ideas? Thanks! Lisa One possible cause....... Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) fold...

"file.txt" cannot be accessed...
User has Excel 2002 with SP3 in Win 2k SP4 and all recent patches. Within Excel user opens a text file (with comma separated values) from any network drive (file server) and gets an error message "file.txt" cannot be accessed. The file maybe read only. etc..."She can however open these text file in noted pad. User has full access rights to the files. Some of the files are in her home drive and such files were created by her. I tried to apply KB831959 but it did not work. There is no problem if she does the same on a file located in her local drives. ...

Outlook .pst cannot be accessed
Starting today, I cannot download email (Office Outlook 2007/VISTA). I get the message "Cannot start reminder service. Cannot show reminder. The message interface has returned an unknown error. If this persists restart Outlook. Cannot open item. Item may be damaged." I have shut down and restarted my computer four times with no change. The Unread Items folder is gone along with my contacts in the address book, and the calendar. And, I cannot move messages to other folders. There is also a message saying "Receiving error 0x80040600." Does anyone know what the p...

outlook.ost cannot be accessed
Anyone get an error like "outlook.ost cannot be accessed"? It says I need to connect to the exchange Server at least one to continue. I tried that at work and I get the same error. I tried running scanost.exe per tech support and same error. Have you recreated your profile recently? Are you able to connect to the Exchange server? If yes, then try creating a new .ost. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google....

OWA Cannot Be Accessed From Internet
I am writing in hope that some of you gurus out there have run into the same problem before. I just setup MS Exchange 2000 server on a MS Windows 2000 server, my internal and external email works fine as I can send and receive email to both internal network and the internet. My outlook web access works perfect in my internal network where users can login and get their mail via http. My problem is that when I am outside my network (i.e. when I am at home and try to check my work email using through my personal ISP outside my network), I get the message "The Page Cannot Be Displayed"...

File cannot be accessed..... help please!!!
I'll be brief... Trouble opening an xls file, error states "blah.xls cannot be accessed.File may be read only........etc" Have opened it OK with MS Works Spreadsheet and thought I'd cracked it...however... although I can open 4 out of the 5 sheets contained within the file, the 5th sheet will not open. The "a" drive is not able to read it at all. The disk was earlier in the "a" drive when the computer was re-booted.Could this cause a problem? (please say no!) Thanks Steve Stephen From what you say I get the idea that the file is on a disk i...

"cannot be accessed" error message
Excel attachments I send using Outlook cant be opened by others. When people try to open attachment they get; "cannot be accessed" error message or "This file is not in a recognizable format" Do they own the same version of excel as you do (or even newer versions)? If they own xl95 and you own xl97-xl2003, then xl95 won't open the file unless you save that file in xl95 format (or xl95/xl97-xl2003 combination format). xl97 through xl2003 should be able to share files without any problem. Foz wrote: > > Excel attachments I send using Outlook cant be opened by...

Database Utility Log cannot be accessed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Everytime I try to open a file in excel I get the same message 'Utility Database.log cannot be accessed. File maybe read-only, or you maybe trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on is not responding.' This message also appears when I try using powerpoint but word is ok. Hmmm... No idea. Tell us a bit more about your computer... When did you get it? Where did you get it? Are you the first user? Who installed the software? Etc... You are experiencing a serie...

"file" cannot be accessed
Today when I tried to access a file (stored on a jump drive) I have been using for several months to track my 401-K, I received the following message: "'file name' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a ready-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." This is the only excel file on the jump drive which is not accessible. Any thoughts on how/if I can recover the information? Thanks Can you use windows explorer and copy it to your local harddrive and open from there? I would be reluctant to open...

"file cannot be accessed"
had an excel file that had a crc error. used the recover command to fix that, but now excel refuses to open the file saying that it is possibly read only, which it isnt, or that it resides on a "read only location" which it doesnt. Is it on a floppy? If so, try copying to HD then open from there If you cant copy, file is toast "BILLEMERY" <EMERY_BILL@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message news:48cab059.0311031641.78aadacf@posting.google.com... : had an excel file that had a crc error. used the recover command to : fix that, but now excel refuses to open the file saying th...

Reporting Services cannot be accessed via internet
Hi, I had deployed a CRM 3.0 server on windows server 2003 SP1, while SQL Server 2005 and its reporting services are installed on a separated windows 2003 server. The CRM 3.0 server is assigned to one public ip and one private ip, while the separated SQL related server is assigned to a privated ip only. The CRM users can access MSCRM reporting server and CRM server within intranet by using <crmservername>, ie http://crmserver . However, if the CRM users use public ip to get into crm server, even they can access the crm user main page, there will be an error when they click the &q...

'outlook data file cannot be accessed.'
I am using the beta 2010 Office Outlook. When I try and receive or or send I get the following error ''outlook data file cannot be accessed.' -- Best Regards Guy ...

"cannot be accessed" error opening file on network
Using Office Excel 2003, I get the error message "filename.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only..." that is in the article 835234, but I get it when I am trying to OPEN the file from a network location. I've tried changing the properties on the network file. Any help on how to get the network copy open? Debra Dalgleish has a FAQ at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly That says to try this with files stored locally: Q. All of a sudden a number of my Excel 2000 files have become "read-only". A. Clear out c:\windows\temp directory ...

send/receive error message: outlook data file cannot be accessed
After many problems with my pc, I had to reformat my harddrive. i reinstalled Office 2010 Beta and now I can't send or receive email. it worked for the first hour or so, but now I get the error message. I researched on these forums for solutions and found some suggestions (delete all data and .pst files, etc.) but none have fixed my problem. I have tried creating a new data file from within Outlook and deleting all outlook data and .pst files, but still it says it cant be accessed. now that I think of it, all these problems may have started after I compacted my pst file....

"cannot be accessed" error opening file on network server
With Office Excel 2003, I'm getting the standard "filename.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only...." message that is listed in article 835234, but I am getting it when I am trying to OPEN the file from a network location. Is there any way to bring up the existing network copy of the file? ...