X Axis Linear Representation Problem

I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture
altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis.   I can enter the
data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker value
gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an actual
linear scale representation.  In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the next
mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the graphic
representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5).  This distorts the
graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the data points.
 Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently.  Any suggestions on how to get
a more accurate representation?  Thanks!!

Chris  -

Use an XY (Scatter) chart type.

It's the only Excel chart type that positions points according to numerical
values on both axes.

-  Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture
> altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis.   I can enter
> the
> data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker
> value
> gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an
> actual
> linear scale representation.  In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the
> next
> mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the graphic
> representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5).  This distorts
> the
> graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the data
> points.
> Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently.  Any suggestions on how to
> get
> a more accurate representation?  Thanks!!

0
mike5208 (300)
2/22/2007 3:53:21 AM
Mike,

Upon further review the scatter chart still had all the mile mark points
equally spaced along the X axis.  Example: the spacing interval between
consequetive mile points 3.0 and 3.3 was just the same as the spacing
interval between consequetive mile point 8.0 and 12.5.  Clearly that
compresses the scale between consequetive long mile distances and expands the
scale between the fractional ones.  I tried different combinations of other
charts and could not seem to find a sample that accurately related these
varied mile data points on that X axis.  Maybe I missed something.

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

> Chris  -
>
> Use an XY (Scatter) chart type.
>
> It's the only Excel chart type that positions points according to numerical
> values on both axes.
>
> -  Mike
> http://www.mikemiddleton.com
>

> "Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture
> > altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis.   I can enter
> > the
> > data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker
> > value
> > gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an
> > actual
> > linear scale representation.  In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the
> > next
> > mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the graphic
> > representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5).  This distorts
> > the
> > graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the data
> > points.
> > Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently.  Any suggestions on how to
> > get
> > a more accurate representation?  Thanks!!

Are some of your x axis data cells text, rather than numbers?  Are you sure
that you've actually got data cell references for the X axis when you look
at Source Data for the series in the graph?
--
David Biddulph

> Mike,
>
> Upon further review the scatter chart still had all the mile mark points
> equally spaced along the X axis.  Example: the spacing interval between
> consequetive mile points 3.0 and 3.3 was just the same as the spacing
> interval between consequetive mile point 8.0 and 12.5.  Clearly that
> compresses the scale between consequetive long mile distances and expands
> the
> scale between the fractional ones.  I tried different combinations of
> other
> charts and could not seem to find a sample that accurately related these
> varied mile data points on that X axis.  Maybe I missed something.

> "Mike Middleton" wrote:
>
>> Chris  -
>>
>> Use an XY (Scatter) chart type.
>>
>> It's the only Excel chart type that positions points according to
>> numerical
>> values on both axes.
>>
>> -  Mike
>> http://www.mikemiddleton.com
>>

>> "Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture
>> > altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis.   I can enter
>> > the
>> > data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker
>> > value
>> > gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an
>> > actual
>> > linear scale representation.  In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the
>> > next
>> > mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the
>> > graphic
>> > representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5).  This distorts
>> > the
>> > graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the data
>> > points.
>> > Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently.  Any suggestions on how
>> > get
>> > a more accurate representation?  Thanks!!

0
groups9994 (52)
2/22/2007 3:59:05 PM
Chris  -

For an XY (Scatter) chart type, if one or more cells in the X range is
interpreted as text, then Excel uses equally-spaced labels for the
horizontal axis. Also, choose Chart | Source Data | Series to verify the
ranges.

-  Mike

"Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> Upon further review the scatter chart still had all the mile mark points
> equally spaced along the X axis.  Example: the spacing interval between
> consequetive mile points 3.0 and 3.3 was just the same as the spacing
> interval between consequetive mile point 8.0 and 12.5.  Clearly that
> compresses the scale between consequetive long mile distances and expands
> the
> scale between the fractional ones.  I tried different combinations of
> other
> charts and could not seem to find a sample that accurately related these
> varied mile data points on that X axis.  Maybe I missed something.
>
> "Mike Middleton" wrote:
>
>> Chris  -
>>
>> Use an XY (Scatter) chart type.
>>
>> It's the only Excel chart type that positions points according to
>> numerical
>> values on both axes.
>>
>> -  Mike
>> http://www.mikemiddleton.com
>>

>> "Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture
>> > altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis.   I can enter
>> > the
>> > data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker
>> > value
>> > gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an
>> > actual
>> > linear scale representation.  In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the
>> > next
>> > mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the
>> > graphic
>> > representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5).  This distorts
>> > the
>> > graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the data
>> > points.
>> > Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently.  Any suggestions on how
>> > get
>> > a more accurate representation?  Thanks!!

0
mike5208 (300)
2/22/2007 8:56:56 PM
It's not an XY chart. If an XY chart has real numbers in the X range, they
are proportionally spaced. If an XY chart has any non-numerical values in
the range, the axis reverts to using counting numbers (1, 2, 3) rather than
the values in the range.

Go to the Chart menu > Chart Type, and choose an XY type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> Upon further review the scatter chart still had all the mile mark points
> equally spaced along the X axis.  Example: the spacing interval between
> consequetive mile points 3.0 and 3.3 was just the same as the spacing
> interval between consequetive mile point 8.0 and 12.5.  Clearly that
> compresses the scale between consequetive long mile distances and expands
> the
> scale between the fractional ones.  I tried different combinations of
> other
> charts and could not seem to find a sample that accurately related these
> varied mile data points on that X axis.  Maybe I missed something.
>
> "Mike Middleton" wrote:
>
>> Chris  -
>>
>> Use an XY (Scatter) chart type.
>>
>> It's the only Excel chart type that positions points according to
>> numerical
>> values on both axes.
>>
>> -  Mike
>> http://www.mikemiddleton.com
>>

>> "Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture
>> > altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis.   I can enter
>> > the
>> > data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker
>> > value
>> > gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an
>> > actual
>> > linear scale representation.  In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the
>> > next
>> > mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the
>> > graphic
>> > representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5).  This distorts
>> > the
>> > graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the data
>> > points.
>> > Hopefully I have explained this sufficiently.  Any suggestions on how
>> > get
>> > a more accurate representation?  Thanks!!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/23/2007 2:56:27 AM
Gentlemen!  There must have been a hidden text value in the data as once I
ensured both columns of numbers were numbers and went to the XY graph choice,
the proportional intervals showed up!  Excellent!!  Many thanks!

Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> It's not an XY chart. If an XY chart has real numbers in the X range, they
> are proportionally spaced. If an XY chart has any non-numerical values in
> the range, the axis reverts to using counting numbers (1, 2, 3) rather than
> the values in the range.
>
> Go to the Chart menu > Chart Type, and choose an XY type.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mike,
> >
> > Upon further review the scatter chart still had all the mile mark points
> > equally spaced along the X axis.  Example: the spacing interval between
> > consequetive mile points 3.0 and 3.3 was just the same as the spacing
> > interval between consequetive mile point 8.0 and 12.5.  Clearly that
> > compresses the scale between consequetive long mile distances and expands
> > the
> > scale between the fractional ones.  I tried different combinations of
> > other
> > charts and could not seem to find a sample that accurately related these
> > varied mile data points on that X axis.  Maybe I missed something.
> >
> > "Mike Middleton" wrote:
> >
> >> Chris  -
> >>
> >> Use an XY (Scatter) chart type.
> >>
> >> It's the only Excel chart type that positions points according to
> >> numerical
> >> values on both axes.
> >>
> >> -  Mike
> >> http://www.mikemiddleton.com
> >>

> >> "Chris Fearon" <ChrisFearon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

"Sending messages x of x" in Outlook 2007 status bar
Hello, When I send a message in Outlook 2007, appears "sending message x of x" where x is greater than 1. I read that it seems automatic responses, but automatic responses are deactivated. Any idea? Thanks for your time, Thunder It's a bug in outlook- x-1 should = the number of email accts in your profile. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Ex...

I figured out my formula problem!
When I have been entering formulas, I have been putting a "=" in the first space of the cell entry box instead of clicking on the formula button and entering from there. I don't know why it makes a difference but the IF functin worked so, I assume, my IRR functions would work if I re-entered them.... Sorry about all the time people wasted in trying to solve my problem. But I hope this thread helps someone else... Steve Steve, It's good to follow up on your own thread. But it's better if you put it as a reply to your original post. That keeps the thread toge...

Secondary Axis chart
I need to create a chart with two axis. I want both the data series to be displayed as columns on the same graph. So far I have only been able to a secondary axis chart with a column and line - by going to custom charts in 'type of chart'. Anyone know how I can make both the data series appear as columns? I have also tried going to the Format menu, clicking on Selected Data Series and then clicking Secondary axis on the Axis tab. This makes one series go in front of the other though and I can't get them to go side by side so you can see both series. (Hope that made sen...

Autoforwarding problem
Am using Outlook 2K sp3. I am trying to auto forward email, with the rules wizard, from certain parties to others in my orginization. Problem is that if all emails are internal user(s)@mycompany.com regardless how many they all get forwarded. But if I try to send to and outside email address (jondoe@anyisp.com) the emial does not go. when setting up a distribution group and using it I get the following 'forwadrtrial1' is a personal distribution list that may not be used with this feature. Would you like to use the individual members of 'forwadrtrial1'instead? Am I doi...

Exchange Explorer problem #2
Hello all, I can't get access at all to Exchange Explorer I get the below error after I say yes to the message 'This page is accessing information that is not under it's control. This poses a security risk. Do you want to continue.' I click yes and I get: - 'Server not available or a unrecoverable error occurred" I can't get into exchange explorer at all, I've tried administrator accounts as the username and pass and also accounts like exmerge which I gave access to all accounts, I've tried going to just server/exchange and exchange/mailbox using ...

problem upgrading from access 2000 to access xp
We recently upgraded our computers to office xp from office 2000. All of our reports have changed from landscape to protrait and no longer work. Is there an easy way to fix this problem? We've tried exporting them from the old to the new, which worked for a few of our reports but not all of them. Please help! We rely on these reports for everything we do in our office and have no idea what to do. Hi, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. To avoid this problem, disable Name AutoCorrect by following these steps: 1. On the Tools menu, c...

Macro to show only rows with X
How would I write a script or macro to display rows that have and x in "A" and hide all other rows? Thank you With data starting in ColA; try Cells.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="=x" -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Jeremy" wrote: > How would I write a script or macro to display rows that have and x in "A" > and hide all other rows? > > > Thank you Option Explicit Sub Remove_Unwanted_Rows() Dim rng As Range Dim cell, RowArray As Range Set rng = ActiveSheet.Range(Cells(1, "A"), Cells(Rows.Count, &qu...

Upgrade from Mac Office 2004 to Office X?
Hi everyone, I've been running Mac Office 2004 and I want to upgrade it to Office X. Do I really have to buy the complete version of Office X to do this, or can I just buy the Office X upgrade? The reason I ask is that from what I've been able to research, the Office X upgrade only allows you to upgrade from Office 2001 but not from Office 2004. Am I correct about this? And if I am correct, does anyone know why Microsoft would have implemented such a policy? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! Kind regards, Jeff Wait! don't answer that. just realized 2004 is the upgrad...

Outlook 2003
Hi any help would be greatly appreciated. I use Outlook 2003 and I write my email using word as my email editor and HTML. When I send out what looks to me like a perfectly formatted email, other people, including hotmail users see very large spaces between my lines. Basically, whenever I hit the enter twice to start a new paragraph, it looks to others like I've skipped 4 or 5 lines. Is there anything I can do (short of using plain text) to fix this problem? Thanks so much for your help. Jacinda ...

active X control
I have a calandar (active x control) on my form. Does anyone know how to link/sync it to a bound control; i.e., when a user chooses a date control, the calandar appears, and when a date is selected it populates into the requisite field. alex Try this: http://www.datastrat.com/Download/XCalendar2K.zip -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "alex" <sql_aid@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1182963470.109302.283780@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I have a calandar (active x control) on my form. > Does anyo...

Macro to change X-axis scale has errors
I've read and studied code from a number of posts on this subject but my "newbie" macro code has errors. I have the minimumscale value and maximumscale value (entered by the user) stored in Sheet1 at $E$2 and $F$2. My chart is in Sheet2. This is my complete macro: Sub ChangeXAxisScale() ' ' ChangeXAxisScale Macro ' With Worksheets("Sheet2") With ActiveChart.Axes(1, 1) .MinimumScale = Range("$E$2").Value .MaximumScale = Range("$F$2").Value End With End With End Sub I know I am missing s...

Horizontal axis in middle of chart
Hi, I have a line graph where the vertical axis goes from -15 to 30. The horizontal labels then appear in the middle of the chart where the zero line is, how can I get the labels to be below the chart on the -15 line? I am using excel 2007. Thank You Stephen Steve, This answer for Excel 2002, but I doubt it's changed in 2007. First right-click the Y axis, most easily done by right-clicking one of its labels. Select Format Axis. In the "Category axis crosses axis at" box put a very negative number, more negative than any you'd ever expect. -- Earl Kiosterud www.s...

unable to use ip literals user@[x.x.x.x]
hello everybody. my exchange server 5.5 had an open relay which has now been fixed. but the IP address of my mail server got listed in www.dsbl.org. and now i am not able to send mails to our branch office which uses the list of www.dsbl.org to get rid of spam mails.now i need an address postmaster@[x.x.x.x] to receive a confirmation email from dsbl.org. i did everything that the following miscrosoft site says. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;193316 but still i am not able to receive mails at postmaster@ [x.x.x.x]. i tested this by sending a mail to this ID ...

imap connection problem with Outlook 2003
I keep receiving the following message. "A connection to the server could not be established imap.googlemail is now in offline mode. Can anyone please resolve this issue for me as it happens everytime I use Outlook 2003 although I can access my email links to online webpages, however I can't add folders in Outlook etc. Help! Do you have the acct configured correctly? Review the configuration in Tools, Accts. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tip...

numbers on chart axis showing twice
Axis on the pivot chart are showing up twice. Probably the spacing is 0.5 but the numbers are formatted to show only whole numbers. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "mary" <mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0871493-036B-4ECF-B3A3-6705676A39BB@microsoft.com... > Axis on the pivot chart are showing up twice. ...

Problem with date formula
Hi I have the follwing date formula,it is meant to give today's date if i is a workday and before 10 PM,after 10 PM the date is meant to rol forward to the next workdays date. =IF(HOUR(NOW())<22,WORKDAY(TODAY(),IF(OR(WEEKDAY(TODAY())=1,WEEKDAY(TODAY())=7),1,0)),WORKDAY(TODAY(),1)) This formula was working for most of the week but now it is showin Thursdays date when it should be showing Fridays.My pc clock is showin the right time. Can anybody spot any errors in it Thanks for the help Ad -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Ade, Try, =IF((HOUR(NOW())<22)*...

Lookup problem in Excel 2003
I had a formula in an Excel workbook called Payments to update the bank balance during 2011-2012: =LOOKUP(1E+100,'\\Pfadc01\company data\ADMINISTRATION\Excel\Accounts 2011-2012\Bank 11-12\[2011-2012 Bank balance.xls]PF'!$F:$F) This worked perfectly well until I needed a similar formula for 2012-2013. I have amended it as appropriate but it only returns 0.00 on my Payments sheet. This is the formula I am using: =LOOKUP(1E+100,'\\Pfadc01\company data\ADMINISTRATION\Excel\Accounts 2012-2013\Bank 12-13\[2012-2013 Bank balance.xls]PF'!$F:$F) Can anyone see where I have gone wron...

Problems with Window in Dialog
Hi all, I have a problem. I have an ActiveX Control created with Delphi. From this activeX control a window could be created. If it's called without a parent everything is ok. If it's a child window of a dialog there are problems: while there is no input from user there are no problems, but if user makes an input (at comboBox or edit on activeX window) and changes the application (e.g. IE) than the application hangs and the cpu uses 50%. With Spy++ no more message is shown after changing application and even spy++ hangs with 30% cpu. Before leaving the application spy++ has recorded: ...

Problem removing shares in Money 2001
When I try to remove all the shares of a mutual fund investment, I get a message that says doing so will cause a negative balance at some point, and advises me to arrange the transactions so this doesn't happen. Obviously removing all shares would bring the balance to zero, but I don't see why it would ever go negative. The same message appears whether I try to confirm a downloaded transaction, or try to do the transaction manually. Nothing I try to work around this seems to work. Anyone have a solution, or a clue as to why it is happening? Many thanks. Sometimes rounding errors acc...

Content library problem
Hi all - Publish 2007. I write a newsletter twice a year. Since I use many of the same elements on the back page every time, I erased the volatile areas, then did a Save All on the page, and added it to the Content Library. But when I bring the page back in from the Content Library to a new, blank page, the paragraph spacing on the paragraphs has changed and left me with text boxes in an overflow condition. Am I doing something wrong? Craig Maybe saving the newsletter as a template would be better. I tried to duplicate your problem but could not. I selected all, grouped and then add...

Outlook 2003 News Reader problems
I'm having problems getting the news reader to work with Outlook 2003 Professional.... It works once and then fails and seems to point to this directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033 That is when it shows up in the Go menu... most of the time the link is not there... Any ideas... I hate having to use OX to view newsgroups... sort of defeats the purpose... Steve You hate "having to use OX to view newsgroups?" What did you think you were using before? OE has always been the news reader for Outlook. Configure it as such in Control Panel > Internet option...

Office v.x Word
When creating mailing labels I am unable to print. I can preview page layout under data merge manager and print the page. But when I complete the merge to new document and then print it seems to be sending somewhere other than my printer. This merge file was created in word 98. I recreated in v.x and it still does not print the labels. Could it have something to do with entrouge. Help please!!!! I am new to OSx I just upgraded from 0S 8, I know behind the times. Thanks, Signal Hi When you use File > Print you can select which printer (if you have more than one) from the dialo...

Problem after "copy and paste" the mdb from one computer to anothe
I have encountered a problem when I transferred the "mdb file, 02-03 version" from computer A (my computer using MS office 07) to computer B (company computer using office 03). I have developed some "Forms with sub-froms", with "Pull down button" linked with "Query" using computer A After I copy and paste the mdb file to computer B, when I re-open the mdb file, those "pull down button" showed "blank value", that is previously won't happen when opened with computer A. Is there any expert encountered this before,...

Active X Pop-up???
Blank How does one delete MS Internet Explorer "Active X" pop-up message?? Thnxxxx........Rudy By asking in an IE newsgroup, perhaps? "Rudy" <rucan70@comcast.net> wrote in message news:hrupjk$tnn$1@news.eternal-september.org... : Blank How does one delete MS Internet Explorer "Active X" pop-up : message?? Thnxxxx........Rudy : : Rudy wrote: > Blank How does one delete MS Internet Explorer "Active X" pop-up > message?? Thnxxxx........Rudy What did you find when reviewing the ...

POP 3 setup problem
For some of our employees traveling 50/50 we have decided to have them gain access from our exchange server using POP 3 due to the recent shut down of port 135. There is one client during setup when attempting the test settings comand who gets a log on error related to invalid user name or password when checking for incoming mail. Both user and me have tried typing in his username and password and they dont work. When I use my own info they work fine. What am i doing wrong? ...