what do you use a doughnut chart for

I just want to know what they are for
--
QuietRanger

They are good to dunk in your coffee for breakfast.

Actually what they do is allow you to make a pie-type display, with multiple
series, so each concentric ring shows the variation in the amounts of the
categories being displayed.

However, pie charts are not particularly good at getting information into
people's heads. People aren't very good at comparing the angles, especially
if there are more than about four wedges in the pie. Because of this pie
charts should be avoided.

Donut charts are even worse, the rings have a bias due to having different
diameters and different surface areas. People's judgment of areas can be
even worse than that of angles, and the combination makes donuts something
to be avoided at all costs.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"QuietRanger" <QuietRanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just want to know what they are for
> --
> QuietRanger

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/8/2006 2:48:07 AM
QuietRanger

I have an example of 3 doughnut charts used to show proved oil reserves in
1984, 1994 and 2004.  These charts are compared to a horizontal panel chart
of the same data.

http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_panel_dot_plot.htm

...Kelly

nospam e-mail address. Edit to reach me

kodayatprocesstrendsdotcom

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> They are good to dunk in your coffee for breakfast.
>
> Actually what they do is allow you to make a pie-type display, with
> multiple series, so each concentric ring shows the variation in the
> amounts of the categories being displayed.
>
> However, pie charts are not particularly good at getting information into
> people's heads. People aren't very good at comparing the angles,
> especially if there are more than about four wedges in the pie. Because of
> this pie charts should be avoided.
>
> Donut charts are even worse, the rings have a bias due to having different
> diameters and different surface areas. People's judgment of areas can be
> even worse than that of angles, and the combination makes donuts something
> to be avoided at all costs.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "QuietRanger" <QuietRanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I just want to know what they are for
>> --
>> QuietRanger

0
dkod (205)
12/8/2006 4:44:30 AM
"Just for the record", there is one apparently statistically sound use of
Excel's doughnuts -- see the article

Bordley, R.F., Representing trees using microsoft doughnut charts, The
American Statistician, 2002, vol. 56, no. 2, p. 139-147.

I just regret that the figures are rather sloppily drawn and that the macro
supposedly available for public download is nowhere to be found. (Anyone out
there able to provide it? I'd be really grateful.)

[Digression: As someone daily dealing with publishing in more or less "top"
scientific journala, I cannot help myself being left with a somewhat bitter
taste in the sense that it might very well have to do with the author being
a General Motors executive in addition to affiliated to two US universities,
while -- trust me from first-hand and second-hand experiance -- even such
generally trustworthy and impecaple journal as TAS exercises a whole lot
more severe technical and also content standards in other cases. But don't
get me wrong -- the article is OK and I like and support the idea.]

As for "getting information into people's heads", "people's judgment" and
the like, I would just like to add a note of caution as a semi-qualified
psychologist of perception (BSc & MSc) and statistician (PhD submitted). --
Sure, promoting Tufte's (which I fully and publicly and regularly do) and
Cleveland's teachings (erm, khm, problems with psychometric findings
commencing, though from the purely statistical point of view he undoubtedly
is another hero of data visualisation) is fine, but one should be aware of
the "human tendency" (I know, now I, a notorious Pompous European
Intellectual, am generalising and writing simplistic and <American> stuff)
towards the "pendulum paradigm" of swinging from one extreme to the oposite
before finding the balance ...

In short, as with just about anything, there's much more to pies. And if you
(I) need a true hero from this (my) field, it should be Leland Wilkinson and
his Grammar of Graphics. (Just for the record, he wrote about <pies> earlier
 and it's even accessible from his website, but since there is a zillion of
other and wider issues to study here, the proverbial interested reader
should just start with the book).

Cordial regards,

Gaj Vidmar
Univ. of Ljubljana, Fac. of Medicine, Inst. of Biomedical Informatics
http://www.mf.uni-lj.si/ibmi-english [/biostat-center]
[-> Research] & [-> Software [-> Excel]]

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> They are good to dunk in your coffee for breakfast.
>
> Actually what they do is allow you to make a pie-type display, with
multiple
> series, so each concentric ring shows the variation in the amounts of the
> categories being displayed.
>
> However, pie charts are not particularly good at getting information into
> people's heads. People aren't very good at comparing the angles,
especially
> if there are more than about four wedges in the pie. Because of this pie
> charts should be avoided.
>
> Donut charts are even worse, the rings have a bias due to having different
> diameters and different surface areas. People's judgment of areas can be
> even worse than that of angles, and the combination makes donuts something
> to be avoided at all costs.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "QuietRanger" <QuietRanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just want to know what they are for
> > --
> > QuietRanger

0
gaj.vidmar (14)
12/8/2006 10:53:30 AM
A concentric donut chart might be even worse, though either way the dot plot
approach is far superior.

- Jon
-------

"Kelly O'Day" <dkod@comcast.net> wrote in message
> QuietRanger
>
> I have an example of 3 doughnut charts used to show proved oil reserves in
> 1984, 1994 and 2004.  These charts are compared to a horizontal panel
> chart of the same data.
>
> http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_panel_dot_plot.htm
>
> ..Kelly
>
> nospam e-mail address. Edit to reach me
>
> kodayatprocesstrendsdotcom
>
> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>> They are good to dunk in your coffee for breakfast.
>>
>> Actually what they do is allow you to make a pie-type display, with
>> multiple series, so each concentric ring shows the variation in the
>> amounts of the categories being displayed.
>>
>> However, pie charts are not particularly good at getting information into
>> people's heads. People aren't very good at comparing the angles,
>> especially if there are more than about four wedges in the pie. Because
>> of this pie charts should be avoided.
>>
>> Donut charts are even worse, the rings have a bias due to having
>> different diameters and different surface areas. People's judgment of
>> areas can be even worse than that of angles, and the combination makes
>> donuts something to be avoided at all costs.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "QuietRanger" <QuietRanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I just want to know what they are for
>>> --
>>> QuietRanger

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/8/2006 2:25:00 PM
Thanks everyone your post have helped me out greatly and I am glad that you
all were able to anser my silly little question. My class was talking about
this and we were unable to figure out the what, when and how of the doughnut
chart. with your help we are now on our way to being able to present our
Prof. with much better information. I think that I may set the presentation
up using the doughnut chart just for shits and grins. That you all again your
help, my classmates and I are in your debt.

"QuietRanger" wrote:

> I just want to know what they are for
> --
> QuietRanger

scatter chart insists on plotting as a line chart
Excel 2003: had 2002 version. Data plotted correctly. Next time I opened file, data displayed as a series rather than a scatter chart, though the data range fields for x and y coordinates display the proper ranges. Tried rearranging my data into adjacent columns, creating new charts and ranges, upgrading to 2003 Excel, changing chart into other types and back again...am I missing a primary concept? ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

What do you use Excel for?

Pie Chart Plot Area Moves
After printing a pie chart, the plot area relocates itself. I wrote a procedure to bring it back to the designated "top" and "left" coordinates the next time the sheet is activated, but the plot area doesn't relocate until the sheet is activated a SECOND time. Does anyone know how to fix? Thank you. ...

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

paired bar chart
Is it possible to create a paired bar chart in Excel? please define paired bar chart? "abj2" wrote: > Is it possible to create a paired bar chart in Excel? See Jon Peltier's site on Tornado Charts http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html "abj2" wrote: > Is it possible to create a paired bar chart in Excel? ...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...

Pie Chart #6
I am looking to make two pie charts side by side. One is current units of X. The other one is forcast units of 2X. with in each chart the pie wedges represent the percent of products. I would like the second Pie chart to be twice the size as the first pie. I know in bubble charts there is an input to adjust the size of the bubble. Can that be done with pie charts too? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You would have to adjust them manually. Pie charts have a way of resizing themselves unexpectedly, particularly if there are large data labels outside of the pie. - Jon -...