watermarking charts

is it possible to place a watermark on an excel chart? i have managed to
"fudge it" with a jpeg in the plot area, but i would prefer a better way, if
there is one.

You can prepare a picture in a graphics program, then add it to the plot
area:

Right-click the plot area
Choose Format Plot Area
Click the Fill Effects button
On the Picture tab, click Select Picture
Locate and select your picture file
Click Insert
Click OK, click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
4/10/2005 1:08:38 PM
You could format the plot area with no fill, then put the image into the
chart area instead. But you're still stuck using an external image file.
If by "better way" you wanted to avoid this step, I think you're already
using the "best" way.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

jiwolf wrote:

> is it possible to place a watermark on an excel chart? i have managed to
> "fudge it" with a jpeg in the plot area, but i would prefer a better way, if
> there is one.

Ok Jon. Thanks for the post. Perhaps it's something Microsoft might add on
the next update.

"Jon Peltier" <jonREMOVExlmvp@peltierCAPStech.com> wrote in message
> You could format the plot area with no fill, then put the image into the
> chart area instead. But you're still stuck using an external image file.
> If by "better way" you wanted to avoid this step, I think you're already
> using the "best" way.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> jiwolf wrote:
>
>> is it possible to place a watermark on an excel chart? i have managed to
>> "fudge it" with a jpeg in the plot area, but i would prefer a better way,
>> if there is one.

In Excel how do I label the axis of a chart with 2 sets of labels
I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a quantity function against the same axis (usually x). I run Excel 2003 If you plot two series You can select one of them and change the axis to secondary. In chart options you can then modify the Y axies as needed. "Alan" wrote: > I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a > quantity function against the same axis (usually x). > I run Excel 2003 If it's a category axis, put the two sets of labels into adjacent columns (or rows), select the chart and choose Source D...

Charting various times. Help!!
Hi there. I currently have a table which I have run a query on that tables like this Date. Target time. Time achieved. Diff. hh/mm/yyyy hh:mm hh:mm n I have worked out how to chart the 'Diff' column as this is in number format. However when I try and throw in the actual times into a chart I get a chart containing values from 0 through to 0.8?? I have set my format as 'short time' in both the query and the table but to no avail. I have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer. All I want is a chart with the 't...

chart labels?
I am looking for a way to keep from losing characters when aligning y-axis labels vertically. If I reduce the font size, it will often allow, but then the chart looks bad. One option would be to replace the chart generated Y-axis labels with text boxes. Text boxes allow you greater control over the size. ---------------------------- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "X Charter" wrote: > I am looking for a way to keep from losing characters when aligning y-axis > labels vertically. If I reduce the font size, it will often allow, but then > the chart...

How do I create a dynamic chart
I have a database on sheet "D" with 1000 rows of data 79 columns wide. How do I create a single line chart on sheet "A" that graphs a single row on sheet "D" where the row number is specified in cell H1 on sheet "A" This doesn't work: =D!&ADDRESS(OFFSET(A1,H1,1,1,1),1):ADDRESS(OFFSET(A1,H1,1,1,1),78) The chart would graph out whatever D! row number is pointed to by cell A1 on sheet "A" read other posts today -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Nick Krill" <NickKrill@discussions...

Aligning charts in excel
I have a series of charts on the same worksheet in excel. Is there a way to align them without having to drag them manually (like the function in PowerPoint)? Hi, You can align the chartobjects easily enough using the Alignment options on the Drawing toolbar. To select charts as objects rather than activecharts hold the CTRL key when selecting the charts. Is that the same method in powerpoint? Align items within charts, such as plotarea, will require vba code. Cheers Andy Lesley wrote: > I have a series of charts on the same worksheet in excel. Is there a way to > align t...

Offset function to set ranges for charts
I used the OFFSET Function in Excel to create a dynamic range i.e. the range size changes. I checked the dynamic nature of the range being created by the OFFSET function and it works well. The problem is I am trying to use the cretaed range in a chart for plotting the specified data points and I am not being successful. If I enter the OFFSET function in the "Source Data" of the Chart, it is not accepted. I even went as far as to name the range refered to by the OFFSET function, but then I didn't know how to use a named range in a Chart's "Source Data". Ca...

Watermark
How do I put watermark "DRAFT" diagonally in the background? consider putting in a background page with it on it and then attaching the background to each of your foreground pages. al "VisoUser" <VisoUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8F4913A-4B6B-46E6-9CFB-878DF3E2956E@microsoft.com... > How do I put watermark "DRAFT" diagonally in the background? Hi VU, I have an HP laser printer, and buried deep in File > Page Setup > Print Setup > Setup... > Printer... > Properties... > Effects there is a...

Custom colors on network chart
Excel 2000 In a workbook,I have a combination chart - having three series as area series with a custom color. There are also line series plotting over the area series. The area series colors were set using Tools>Options>Color, Select the color (from the palette), Modify, Custom, then the color was created. Works fine in the workbook chart. However, this chart has now become part of a PowerPoint slide show on a network, where, the custom color of the workbook does not carry over to the network users. Is there a way to program the custom colors to carry over to the network s...

Excel (2007) Chart Refuses to Accept More Data Points
I have a simple chart set up that references data points which are vertically ten spaces apart. The chart has worked fine for months. However, when I went to update it with another series point today it simply will not "OK" the extra point. I click enter, I click okay, and NOTHING. It's not just one chart that this is happening with, either. In the same file I have another chart that references another point that is spaced like the previous one but I have the same problem. I've never had this happen before and tooling around with it hasn't yielded any fruit. Some sa...

WaterMark
Would anyone know the best way to design a water mark and then placing it on an invoice Jake, I don't think there is any way to do this with Report Writer, you'd have to be using another reporting tool for your invoices, like Crystal Reports. -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "jake" <jostop@langeloth.com> wrote in message news:1149004571.468880.137860@r44g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Would anyone know the best way to design a water mark and then placing > it on an invoice > Hi Jake I can think of two possible ways to do this. 1) Some printer drivers hav...

Pie Chart Wedges???
I have worksheet1 in which I am adding rows of data daily. This data is then pulled to create various formulated statistics on seperate worksheet2. The formulated statistics, on worksheet2, are then used to create various pie charts for volume, %, etc. When I add new rows of data to worksheet1, the stats on worksheet2 update correctly. However, the pie chart wedges, percentages, and volume #'s do not match the the new statistics. How can these charts be correctly updated without having to re run the charts everytime? Do a Google with the search term: Excel dynamic chart This will ...

Change background for ALL charts without custom defining all chart
Hello Excel Experts I'm using 2003. Here's the thing: I'm desiging a powerpoint template for a client and have advised him to use excel for all his charting as MSGraph is so completely hopeless. I know I can change chart colours through tools->options->colour and that I can then use that file to update charts in any other xls. I also know I can create user-defined charts with the fonts, background etc I want and share those. Thing is I don't know *exactly* what chart types my client may want to use (and, bless, neither does he at the mo). So, my question is: is ...

Chart Help #2
Is there a way to get 5 columns in one cell in a chart? Thanks Bill What do you mean by "5 columns in one CELL"? Please rephrase what you wish to do best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Bill" <wjjeannette@meeci.com> wrote in message news:eRaeV2TrJHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to get 5 columns in one cell in a chart? > > Thanks > Bill > > On Mar 25, 12:33 pm, "Bill" <wjjeanne...@meeci.com> wrote: > Is there a way to get 5 columns in ...

Inserting Pix Into Chart
This should be easy...so I know I'm doing something stupid, but I just can't figure it out. I want to simply add our company logo to a an excel chart. Copy the chart and paste it into a Word document. While in Excel, I insert our logo into the chart. Resize it, position it, etc. etc. etc. However, when I click on the chart to copy it, the logo disappears. If I click outside of the chart (on an empty cell for example), the logo reappears. What am I doing wrong??? SRS Use the "select" arrow at the lower left corner of screen (this is par of the drawing toolbar, so...

Chart printing problem.
I have a bar chart. It has 25 bars in 2 pages. I tried to print the chart. then i faced one problem. it is not printing properly.. One bar which is positioned at bottom of the 1st page is getting cut in the 1st page. And again its printed completed on the 2nd page.. I want to print this bar, either it shuld come on the first page or the second page.. I created this chart dynamically. Is any solution is there for solve this problem. Please help me. Thanks. Ram Kumar.R. -- ramkumar_cpt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ramkumar_cpt's Profile: htt...

Using PNG or JPEG resources for a CPropertySheet watermark?
I'd like to be able to use a PNG or JPEG image, stored as a resource, for the watermark on a WIZARD97 style property sheet. Usually, you just pop in the resource ID of a BMP resource, but BMPs are way big compared to compressed formats. I believe it's also possible to pass the property sheet an HBITMAP, if you pass the PSH_USEHBMWATERMARK flag, but my chops aren't good enough to know an "obvious" way to load a PNG or JPEG resource into a CBitmap. I've poked around on various sources, and found plenty of ways to load JPEGs, but the classes all seem to offer their own d...

How to resize title of a chart in Excel?
Hi, Would you please tell me how to resize the title of a chart in Excel? Thanks, Roger Left-click on it then drag the handles to re-size. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:47:01 -0800, "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Would you please tell me how to resize the title of a chart in Excel? > >Thanks, > >Roger The Chart title will adjust automatically to the size of the text. If you want more control over the width or height, you can delete the title, and use a text box instead. To create a text box, select the ch...

Changing *permanently* Excel's colors and graph fill for charting?
Is there a way of changing the default chart colors *permanently* so that every *new* workbook has them? I know about, but should not have to go through the manual nonsense each time of copying the chart colors from another workbook. In other words, I would like the color sequence for lines and fills to be part of the normal Workbook template, so that charts automatically take on my prefered colors. How can one do that? Second, and this one truly bugs me, is that Excel fills in the background of charts (the fill area) with dull grey. (What a ridiculous choice on aesthetic grounds! What a...

Moving Chart x Axis
How do I move the x axis of a chart? Right now, the chart I am working on has the x axis in the middle of the chart. I would like it at the bottom of the chart. Thanks, Bill Allen Hi, Here's some information. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip002.htm Cheers Andy Bill Allen wrote: > How do I move the x axis of a chart? > > Right now, the chart I am working on has the x axis in the middle of the > chart. > > I would like it at the bottom of the chart. > > Thanks, > > Bill Allen > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

Office Chart doubt
Hi, I try to create a chart using Office Chart Component 9. I set the type of the WCChart object as chChartTypeScatterLine, WCSeries object1 as chChartTypeScatterSmoothLineMarkers. WCSeries object2 as chChartTypeScatterSmoothLine. But the type applied to series 2 is always set to series object 1. void CImageCalibChartCtrl::ChangeType() { CWCCharts aCharts = myChartCollection.GetCharts(); CWCChart aChart = aCharts.GetItem(COleVariant((short)0)); aChart.Select(); aChart.GetSeriesCollection().GetItem(...

Excel chart in MS Word
Does anyone know how to reference dynamicially named ranges in a chart contained within an embedded chart in MS Word? I know how to do this in Excel, but the name of the workbook is needed. As far as I can tell, the name of the embedded book in Word is "ThisWorkbook", but I get an error when I try to use it. If the entire workbook is embedded, a quick test here shows that you can use simply the 'Sheet1!$A$1' link referenced just to the worksheet. ThisWorkbook is only known to VBA. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://P...

Watermark Picture
I can insert a picture and set its property to WaterMark. However, I can't get the image (picture) to go behind the worksheet fields. The image continues to stay ontop of the cells. How do you get the image to Go Behind the cells? Using the Send To Backgound right click option didn't work!!! Try this If you insert a Autoshape to your sheet you can place a picture in it(change transperancy to your needs) See Debra's site for how to do it with Comments(the same for a Auto shape) http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.ronde...

My own stock chart with open/close same level?
I have made my own stock chart (or candle chart) with high,low,open close... When my open and close are at the same level... I just get a line for the highs and lows but no "body" to my candle... how can I get some sort of indication where the open and the close simotaneously happened? Any thoughts are appreciated Try this approach instead: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/StockChartsAndLineChartTricks.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

visio 2003 org chart
I have created my own org chart template. When trying to import data, it rearranges to its own liking...what do I do to maintain my format? -- Erin If 'your' template uses the Visio add-in code (based on it's shapes), then by design every time it draws an orgchart it will probably be different (this is done to speed up the drawing of the chart). If 'your' template and code was written by you, then the options for layout are up to you. Al "Erin" <Erin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DCE7633-167D-4887-ADAE-428F36D2A3DB@microsoft.com.....

Counting & Charting Combined
I have a list of several hundred orders and I want to graph where they ar coming from. So I want to count each state and pir graph that. Is there an easier way than going through the "Data, Subtotals, Count" then copy/pasting the results into another worksheet then graphing it from there? I just want to have a few clicks if possible. Jason - If your data is arranged in nice columns, with state in one column and numbers in another, you could make a pivot table, with state in the row area and numbers in the data area. This table can then be charted. You can make a pie char...